• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Polygon] Mario Kart 8 likely to be the worst-selling game in... what is that chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMI

Banned
I had completely forgotten that Ben Kuchera landed at Polygon. My two least favorite things about game journalism; it's so bad that I love it.

PKrockin

Yeah, the news itself is fine, I think. But the graph is so obscure and a bit meaningless to even be shown in that context.
They quoted Chartzz for their numbers. I feel like everyone missed this.

Not to mention, the "news" here is something everyone knows.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Fired from your job? This shit would get you a letter home from your sixth grade teacher about possibly moving to the special class.

The article itself is just the usual clickbait bullshit you'd see on a slow day, but Jesus Christ that graph.

Yeah this is bad even for high school level.

It still baffles me how he got an editor position clearly they must hire anyone.

Guys I think I found the source of their extensive research:

bJ0e8FC.jpg

Sorry, worst paint hash I've ever done

Heh, I've not seen the article, so they're interpolating data across different platforms too? Is there some sort of editorial line against using Bar charts on Polygon?

bronson

The chart shows that the handheld games have always had a lower attach rate. If you take those out, you can probably guess at a 30% game-to-console ratio.

The_Lump

Banned
Heh, I've not seen the article, so they're interpolating data across different platforms too? Is there some sort of editorial line against using Bar charts on Polygon?

Indeed. But I'm seriously starting to think they were just trying to draw a kart.

I'd make the wheels into pie charts but I'm at work and only have MS paint to hand

Shengar

If they really used VGChartzz numbers for that chart, and VGChartzz is banned, I don't see why Polygon shouldn't be banned either

Polygon have fair share of good articles too. But I agree this one particular article shows how incompetent they are at a time. Discussing something obvious while citing ******** number and that CHART.

Why are we all so shocked? Who remembers his article "Used games, Twitter complaints, and Sony: Why the Xbox One “backlash” doesn’t matter"?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
If they really used VGChartzz numbers for that chart, and VGChartzz is banned, I don't see why Polygon shouldn't be banned either

I will say again Polygon does post some really good long form articles that are in fact well research.

But Ben Kuchera is a total hack and with his level of competence really shouldn't have a job.

Mael

And you know what's surreal?
Neogaf is certainly a great place for sarcasms, parodies and everything and still in all these posts, no one managed to make a chart that's worse than the original polygon graph.
They're always more coherently made.
during the Sim city events last year Polygon reached the status of a joke, a footnote.
This? That elevate them as THE site everyone should go for educational purpose.
Every single person who would need to make a graph someday need to see this,
every single person who would want to be a journalist need to read them.
Seriously I've gone to this tumbler
http://badgraphs.tumblr.com/
and there's nothing as offensively bad as the graph we have here.
This graph is so bad it clogged my arteries...that or all the burgers I ate this week.

Majestad

Banned

I believe sites get banned from GAF for misleading and false information. Polygon's brilliant source is a website banned and condemned in GAF for misleading and false information, therefore they are also responsible for misleading and false information.

In theory, this shitty website should be *******.com by now.

Coconut

Banned
Nintendo sales as whole. They have always had long sales. DS/Wii/3DS pretty much prove it. I mean Mario Kart Wii sold over 1 million last fiscal year, that's insane for a game that game out in 2008.

And where did that million units number come from?

Riki

Polygon have fair share of good articles too. But I agree this one particular article shows how incompetent they are at a time. Discussing something obvious while citing ******** number and that CHART.
We should ban Polygon until they can prove to be a reliable, trustworthy and well researched site like we did with GoNintendo.
As it stands, their name and reputation are shit because they pull these articles from their ass too often.

I will say again Polygon does post some really good long form articles that are in fact well research.

But Ben Kuchera is a total hack and with his level of competence really shouldn't have a job.

They do have great long form but if they're associated with garbage its hard to give it to a fair shake.

L Thammy

Oh, man, just noticed this bit at the end.

"Mario Kart games are far more than the sum of their sales data, of course. In our research, we also corralled information about what lies inside of each game. Check out the chart below to see the racing franchise's changing cast of characters, cups and courses. "

grouped_bar_chartayj8b.jpg

This is an article about sales. There is literally no reason for this chart to be here.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Why are we all so shocked? Who remembers his article "Used games, Twitter complaints, and Sony: Why the Xbox One “backlash” doesn’t matter"?

Those are all silly and illogical articles/statements all forms of media has that... Sadly...

But this guy has just shown a gross level of incompetence that wouldn't be acceptable at high school let alone as news editor (a supposedly respected position within any news firm).

PopeReal

It seems most "journalists" don't give a shit about gaming. In fact it appears they resent having to even write about it.

RMI

Banned

I do, but not as much as I remember when he compared holding the PS4 controller to fondling a girl in the back of a car.

yup...

"Mario Kart games are far more than the sum of their sales data, of course. In our research, we also corralled information about what lies inside of each game. Check out the chart below to see the racing franchise's changing cast of characters, cups and courses. "

This is an article about sales. There is literally no reason for this chart to be here.

I think someone just missed making graphs and hadn't done any since early highschool. It shows.

Mael

Holy shit my eyes!
Why? What did I ever do to you?
The headaches they're coming back!
And lol at "their" research...

Shengar

We should ban Polygon until they can prove to be a reliable, trustworthy and well researched site like we did with GoNintendo.
As it stands, their name and reputation are shit because they pull these articles from their ass too often.

Like I said, they have some well written article that is well researched and good for discussion. The one I particularly remember is the article on why video gaming is male centric, especially in US. They've also share some great features like an article about Tearaway development. It just the quality of the writers is like Sturgeon's Law made manifest there. Not Polygon that should be banned, but rather Ben Kuchera.

gngf123

What are they even trying to show with this? That there is an increase in the volume of game content with respect to time? Or what?

It's like they just had nothing to go with so just threw random shit together for an article.

RMI

Banned
What are they even trying to show with this? Increase in the volume of game content with respect to time? Or what?

It's like they just had nothing to go with so just threw random shit together for an article.

Ben just got carried away in Excel.

nynt9

To quote my rhetorical question from another thread:

Why do websites that gain revenue from ads write frivolous articles that will get posted all around social media sites/forums by people who have emotional investment in the subject matter?

Road

Guys I think I found the source of their extensive research:

bJ0e8FC.jpg

Sorry, worst paint hash I've ever done

MK8 will sell 1.26 million copies in one week.

Polygon is cute. If they're banned from GAF we'll lose one of our reliable comedic reliefs.

Mael

Actually this article remind me of this

tumblr_ly0kk5rXVU1r5bj1ko1_500.jpg

At least Marshall's graphs all made sense and were relatively well made.
I was naive before this thread, seriously I thought that with the tools available it was impossible to make nonsensical horrible graph that made no sense and killed brain cells.
I was dead wrong.
I won't click on the article it would probably be enough to kill me.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
What are they even trying to show with this? That there is an increase in the volume of game content with respect to time? Or what?

EmCeeGramr said it best

*staring at text editor*

"Well, that can't be right. I've written two sentences and my article is done. Mario Kart 8 will sell the worst. But... the editor will probably think I'm lazy as shit if I don't have anything else. Do I... do I have any charts? Just... let me throw some numbers in the chart maker. Is this how charts work? I think so.

"Okay, I've got a whole page now. I think that's good."

RiggyRob

Like I said, they have some well written article that is well researched and good for discussion. The one I particularly remember is the article on why video gaming is male centric, especially in US. They've also share some great features like an article about Tearaway development. It just the quality of the writers is like Sturgeon's Law made manifest there. Not Polygon that should be banned, but rather Ben Kuchera.

Having a good history didn't stop CBOAT being banned when he was spreading false information. And even though Polygon might have good articles, when Ben Kuchera's the editor there's always the risk he'll fuck something up.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

I miss Andriasang. All news and no nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom