• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Face-Off - The Last of Us PS3 vs. PS4

HardRojo

It looks like a good HD framerate edition.

I wish it was somthing else, Is that ok with you, why are you even replying to me, you The last of us remake defense force.

You know you are not helping your case when you bring up stuff like that right? God I seriously wish some people tried to actually argue reasonably.

Ploid 3.0

It's still there. Just altered to be less exaggerated.

Cheap AO is very exaggerated in PC games, then you try HBAO+ and it's more accurate. I'm guessing the one on PS3 was cheap. The AO aura glow, like Witcher 2 (I hate the glow of shadow in that game).

SirCrush

I don't think they went above and beyond. I think they did what people expected, which means they met expectations. :p

They set the bar so exceeding it is going to take something otherworldly, isn't it? Hopefully they still get credit where it's due: We expect a lot from them and when they deliver, they did better than many.

turcy

i don't want to be a naysayer, or a hater, or come off as an anti-PS4 fanboy or anything, but my reaction to this remaster is generally quite lukewarm.

i guess i was really hoping for updated geometry more than anything.

that being said, i'm well aware of how nightmarish a task it must have been porting this code over from the PS3, and the resulting image quality ND have produced is very clean, which i can certainly appreciate.

i never owned a PS3, so if & when i pick up a PS4 i'll definitely appreciate this remaster's existence a little bit more [or should i say, would appreciate it more, if i enjoyed zombie-esque material even in the slightest - yes, i'm a wussy, a skinny little wussy]

Why would they alter the geometry, do people realize that's akin to developing a new game? Enhancing the resolution, texture size, and setting the framerate at 60fps improved the graphical output significantly. I just finished playing a few rounds of multiplayer and the game just looks incredible, it also controls more responsively to boot. It's the definitive version, and they did a phenomenal job bringing it to the new hardware.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
The Tomb Raider Definitive Edition added in a bunch of stuff, some that wasn't even in the PC version.
The only thing that I remember that was changed was swaying foliage, fog and updated Lara model.

Swaying foliage is in The Last of Us as well. What am I missing?

Edit: Okay there was also dynamic resolution adjustment, which wasn't in the PC version.

velociraptor

WOW at the difference between 60FPS shadows and 30FPS shadows:
Ghb5LIU.png

I prefer the look of the PS3 shadows.

Pbae

Sent you a PM with a 50 dollar PSN code. You better post a pic of you downloading The Last of Us :p . Enjoy

You're a very good man.

Here, I'm giving you 100 Pbae points. You can turn them in for a drink at a bar of your choosing if you're ever in Philadelphia.

nelchaar

Wish I had the money to get this. I missed out on the ps3 version too. Ill find a way.

This is unacceptable!! Do you have a PS4? If downloading the 50gb is not a problem for you I'll send you a code, so you can finally experience this game.

Ask, and you shall receive. Holy crap, you are an amazing individual. Thank you for making my little corner of the earth a little bit brighter.

C8ItUhA.png

Fimogen_hug.gif

Genuine acts of kindness like these should be celebrated, in my opinion. Here's a quote to trace how awesome supernormal is.

Cheers! And thank you for restoring my faith in humanity for the day :)

dr_rus

For some reason the PS3 shadows look the most realistic to me here :D

Upping the shadow map resolution is one thing. Making sure that the shadows are properly filtered with physically correct penumbras and all is another.

The PS3 shadow is similar to how a sun shadow would appear on the outside. The PS4/30fps shadow is closer to a shadow from a point light source which is close to the light obstructing object.
Basically you need to render them differently for different light sources and different distances between the light source and the obstructor.
This is something well beyond the scope of a TLoU remaster I think. They just used the RAM and GPU power to increase the resolution of the shadow maps.

I wanted to ask about the tag thing, but I don't know how. Gaf mods and etiquette still scare me at times. Ill gladly take a tag for myself as well. Something along the lines of "supernormal is awesome and I want the world to know."

Thank you all for your kind words. Hellmonkey that's a beautiful .gif *hugs back*

Honestly I feel like this TLOU is a true master piece in gaming that everyone should experience. It broke my heart to see someone who really wanted to play it, miss it on PS3 and still not have a chance to have it on PS4. 50 dollars doesn't even compare to the experience I had with this game, and hopefully Hellmonkey you can understand when you play the game, what my gift truly was.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Thank you all for your kind words. Hellmonkey that's a beautiful .gif *hugs back*

Honestly I feel like this TLOU is a true master piece in gaming that everyone should experience. It broke my heart to see someone who really wanted to play it, miss it on PS3 and still not have a chance to have it on PS4. 50 dollars doesn't even compare to the experience I had with this game, and hopefully Hellmonkey you can understand when you play the game, what my gift truly was.
I'm planning on giving away my PS3 version to someone who hasn't played it and who isn't getting a PS4 anytime soon.

Sent you a PM with a 50 dollar PSN code. You better post a pic of you downloading The Last of Us :p . Enjoy

I know a bunch of other people have quoted this, praising your actions, but I needed to join them.

This was a very generous and kind act.

I am really amazed you would do this for someone you don't even know. You sir, are a truly exemplary individual. You have earned my veneration

amar212

That is very kind of you, very nice gesture.

Top Bottom