• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Face-Off - The Last of Us PS3 vs. PS4

RayMaker

Banned
RayMaker
Where's my 3 bucks, MS?

ha yeah try reading the thread.

So mod labels me with there onpinion, and therefore its a truth

and yeah I still think titanfall could of effected and still can effect somones consoles buying decision, many gafers have said they dont see anything wrong with that post I made.

There fact that the mod put that ''MS,wheres my 3 bucks'' just shows there bias.

Is the Tag you guys are talking about the thing under your name? I actually thought mods gave that to people who troll and stuff like that to embarrass them with witty phrases "tag coming soony etc"

RayMaker

Banned
You know you are not helping your case when you bring up stuff like that right? God I seriously wish some people tried to actually argue reasonably.

what its true though, i say that i think the last of us ps4 is good but not somthing to be over the moon with and then stuburns replys at my post like i'am wrong or somthing, it just seems he cant take anyone saying the last of us ps4 edition is any less then perfect, and there is nothing negative about it what so ever.

REV 09

Never played the original, but this just looks ok for a next gen game. I feel that more could have been done on the tech side. First impressions are kind of underwhelming.

malfcn

supernormal is extraordinary.

I need to play this game sometime.
Should have picked it up on PS3 last week for $16 (GCU). Probably this Black Friday if there is another deal.

But I keep wanting to hold out for PS4. I just don't know when we will get one. The fiancee will get one when there are some more of the niche games she plays.

The game looks pretty good on either platform.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
WOW at the difference between 60FPS shadows and 30FPS shadows:
Ghb5LIU.png

Definitely playing on 30fps; that's gorgeous and there's nothing wrong with 30fps.

Nafai1123

Banned
Is the Tag you guys are talking about the thing under your name? I actually thought mods gave that to people who troll and stuff like that to embarrass them with witty phrases "tag coming soony etc"

It can be a badge of honor, just depends on the quality (or lack thereof) of your post.

Definitely playing on 30fps; that's gorgeous and there's nothing wrong with 30fps.

Ok, most of the shadows don't look that jarring. It's only an isolated instances in which you'll be able to readily spot differences in shadow quality.

Essentially, that pic right there is the worst that it gets.

You're missing out on playing a gorgeous game at 60 fps. You are making a fatal mistake.

It can be a badge of honor,

Well, thanks to everyone for all the nice wishes, but the real prize will be seeing Hellmonkey's post saying he loves the game.

Regarding the comparisons though. There's been a lot of debate between the 30/60 fps modes and honestly I went back to play the game on PS3 and the Remaster looks better in all aspects. Things that might look off were all in the original game to an even worse degree, it's just that no one noticed them because how awesome the game was. I'll play 30fps because I'm one of those cinematic guys, but honestly anyway you can enjoy this game will be amazing.

For example: TLOU delivered a way better performance than Tomb Raider even when they already had a PC game to work and port to PS4/XB1 (it was a easy port).

You need to compare with others remasters... TLOU set a new quality bar in the industry for ports/remasters (yeap this was write in some reviews).

No.

TR did much more than TLoU R. Yes, the TLoU R`s framerate is more consistent, but beside that TR had much bigger upgrades.

JackHerer

No.

TR did much more than TLoU R. Yes, the TLoU R`s framerate is more consistent, but beside that TR had much bigger upgrades.

I'm betting (hoping really) that GTA V destroys them all in this way. They already seem to be adding flora and fauna as well as giving all textures a nice resolution bump. Maybe even improve geometry of some things (???). I hope they add even more though. Could be really special when considering that the game is an abomination when played on PS360 (on a technical level) and still managed to be an amazing game.

It's a similar situation to TLoU on PS3 but the technical limitations are even more problematic so the differences on the new hardware could be even more significant for GTA V.

Ricky_R

Goddammit, now I feel bad for trading in the PS3 version instead of giving it away to somebody who couldn't afford it.

Nice gesture superhuman.

The problem I will have is that my 1080p projector has huge input lag unless I switch to game mode which lowers the resolution to 720p or thereabouts. I played through ACIV and some other games fine at 1080p but what about LoU? Is response time important?

slapnuts

WOW at the difference between 60FPS shadows and 30FPS shadows:
Ghb5LIU.png

Good catch but any of this AO missing or more subtle differences and other things we see from 60 to 30 really are the nature of the beast because of how much harder it was to port a PS3 designed game to a completely different architecture....so its really understandable to see some blemishes and maybe some missing effects here and there given the time spent and the adverse architecture differences. Anyone thinking this game is stressing or even maxing out PS4 is being foolish. Get this game developed from ground up on PS4 and we would be see some mind blowing visuals right now but fact is..we arent...in my personal opinion the differences from PS3 to PS4 are not that HUGE imho...but thats ok, im perfectly fine and appreciate what was done in the port.

This type of port is pretty much what PC gamers get from an average console to pc port. I expect far more for games developed ground up for a platform. I mean look at the this original game on PS3...that game looked almost like a early current gen game..imagine what Naughty Dog will be pumping out on PS4 in a few years from now!!

npa189

It looks like a PC game, the resolution and textures! and the framerate. ND has put everyone who can't do 1080p on the PS4 to shame. This sound mix is one of the most impressive I've ever heard. Why can't people make good sound in video games? Its clearly possible.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
*Edit* I really wonder if PS4 version has their realtime character ambient shadows - a technique that totally made the TLOU for me - as far as I know being the only game to ever have something like that.

I haven't played any version of TLOU, but Sniper Elite III has it on PS4 through a technique called obscurance fields.

59.something

But really something like low 70s if they completely unlocked it and we were talking about the real average.
It's not like benchmarking a PC game and getting 59.something average. In that case you'd constantly be below 60fps.

Sent you a PM with a 50 dollar PSN code. You better post a pic of you downloading The Last of Us :p . Enjoy

What an amazing individual you are man. Makes me want to do something for someone......Hellmonkey should be forever grateful, that is amazing.

EDIT: Oh yeah, where is a Mod? I think Supernormal just earned a tag, something like "$uperhuman" or "$upernormal", man so cool.

Never played the original, but this just looks ok for a next gen game. I feel that more could have been done on the tech side. First impressions are kind of underwhelming.
The game is cool but I feel the same way about the graphics. It's a ps3 port indeed but I was more graphically impressed with Tomb Raider.

ramuh

The game is cool but I feel the same way about the graphics. It's a ps3 port indeed but I was more graphically impressed with Tomb Raider.

You know, as much as I think the The Last of Us is superior to Tomb Raider, the graphics definitely look at little better in TR.

JoeFenix

A bit sad to see that the blood puddles don't reflect the environment and characters anymore, always thought that was a really nice visual touch.

Game runs really well otherwise and the multiplayer is vastly improved because of the framerate. I normally wouldn't have gotten this but for 20$ it was worth it.

LowSignal

I noticed a bit of pop in like the grass at the beginning and also a whole part of a deck I needed to cross but otherwise a nice change from the PS3 version. I'm playing on 30FPS with the sony gold's that really make the game worth playing a 2nd time.

sikkinixx

Did they change the blood puddling from the ps3 version or do I just notice it now? The perfectly circle red stains are jarring.

LowSignal

Did they change the blood puddling from the ps3 version or do I just notice it now? The perfectly circle red stains are jarring.

Did you catch that ultra low rez american flag 10 mins in the game. The building it was mounted to was beautiful the lighting was amazing but wow the flag was so ugly and pixelated it takes you out of it. The scene starts centered on the flag so I don't understand why they didn't clean it up. #nitpicking

I've played it about an hour and I'm happy with it! Just about as far as I got with the first one but will go all the way with this version. Frame rate of ps3 totally took out the immersion factor when I tried to play it last year and I had been back on the constant 60fps pc gaming bus before playing it. I hate sounding like an ass about those things because as long as a game plays well I'm ok with it. But the last of us on the ps3 just felt broken and it was trying to do more than the limits of the console. I also remember my 60gig ps3 was sounding like a jet engine with this game too. Anyhow happy times looking forward to playing this one through! Cheers :)

sikkinixx

Did you catch that ultra low rez american flag 10 mins in the game. The building it was mounted to was beautiful the lighting was amazing but wow the flag was so ugly and pixelated it takes you out of it. The scene starts centered on the flag so I don't understand why they didn't clean it up. #nitpicking

You're too cool.

It's nothing game breaking oh omg how could they release this, just strange as they are nearly perfect circles of blood, like a temporary layer or something.

Krathoon

From what I have seen, it seems like the PS4 version is slightly undercooked with the lighting and blood effects. They may patch those out later.

I am sticking with the PS3 version. I might snag this when it is old and cheap.

It feels like the game was tailored for PS3 hardware and the devs have not mastered the PS4 hardware yet. It is understandable, but I think they tried too much to make a money grab with this release.

Clockwork5

Liking the game so far. Not the best looking PS4 game, but It still looks crisp and runs great. The improved shadow quality in 30 mode is lost on me due to the screen blur.

I still contend that TR:DE has been the best looking cross gen game so far, but I'm sure that PC version helped get that game looking so good on PS4.

icespide

Banned

tags aren't necessarily for troll-y or bad stuff someone said. it could also be for something especially awesome you said, basically something memorable

From what I have seen, it seems like the PS4 version is slightly undercooked with the lighting and blood effects. They may patch those out later.

I am sticking with the PS3 version. I might snag this when it is old and cheap.

It feels like the game was tailored for PS3 hardware and the devs have not mastered the PS4 hardware yet. It is understandable, but I think they tried too much to make a money grab with this release.

1415.gif

JB1981

Puh. It's not a next-gen game, though with the increase in resolution/framerate it could pass for one. That speaks to the talent of ND on old hardware. It's not an honest criticism of a port of an old game.

Fahdi

Banned
I just found out that Canada got a TLOU bundle for about $450 which means a free copy of TLOU in the PS4 as a voucher. I just got my PS4 10 days ago... I feel like I got ripped off :(. I didn't play the PS3 version, because I was waiting for this... aaahhh shucks. Next 2 months then...

Top Bottom