• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

PGamer

fucking juniors
Im using the VR build. Ive heard reports that people run the games at 75hz which speed up the games slighly but stops the judder. But at the moment for some reason F-Zero isnt running smoothly and defo not 60hz. The Vanilla Dolphin runs F-Zero flawlessly so my PC is easily up to the task (i7 4.2GHz, 7970 3GB, 16GB RAM). Do you not get these black artifacts on the menu screens then?

I haven't tried Dolphin VR yet but I can't recall ever getting black artifacts in F-Zero GX using Dolphin normally.

Wow thanks for linking that texture pack, do we have some sort of archive/index of available HD texture mods?

https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Forum-hd-texture-projects

teiresias

So is the Dolphinbar like not even made anymore? I can't find it in stock anywhere. I'd like to play Metroid Prime Trilogy with a Wiimote but really don't want to deal with a separate bluetooth dongle and some wireless IR bar.

PGamer

fucking juniors
I wasnt getting any artifacts in vanilla dolphin, but it could be due to having to use OpebGL of Oculus rift and vanilla Dolphin i use Direct3d?

Maybe try running the game in normal Dolphin using OpenGL and see if you get the same issue?

Nabs

So is the Dolphinbar like not even made anymore? I can't find it in stock anywhere. I'd like to play Metroid Prime Trilogy with a Wiimote but really don't want to deal with a separate bluetooth dongle and some wireless IR bar.

There are plenty of USB sensor bars out there.

PGamer

fucking juniors

KHlover

Banned
Question: Just recently upgraded my PC from

Core2Duo E8500
ATI HD 4850 1GB

to

Core i7 4790K
NVIDIA GTX770 4GB

A while ago I THINK I've heard that OpenGL is actually faster than DX11 if using an NVIDIA card, but when I google this I can't find anything to support this statement, a dev reprt where the Dolphin guys mention NVIDIA havin far and away the best OGL drivers is the closest I come. Sooo....is this actually (Still?) true?

Is there anyway to limit the speed? I'm trying ton play Luigi's Mansion and it keeps jumping up to 140% and down to 74%, is there anything I can do? I'm terrible with computers and these types of things, so I don't see anything.

Just tired this for the first time with F-Zero GX and have a few question. Is it possible to get the game running at a solid 60fps (or do i need 75fps)?, as at the moment the game isnt that smooth. Have noticed black boxes appearing over the UI on the menus can this be cleared up at all? Can someone chime in with what settings i need.

Also what is this frame limiter i have seen mentioned, thanks

Hmm just a wild guess, do you use the Dolphin Widescreen Hack? :eek: I get the same black boxes when I use it even in the normal build.

KScorp

Is there anyway to limit the speed? I'm trying ton play Luigi's Mansion and it keeps jumping up to 140% and down to 74%, is there anything I can do? I'm terrible with computers and these types of things, so I don't see anything.

If you hit the "Config" button (that has a bunch of horizontal sliders as the icon), the General tab should have a Framelimit option. Auto usually works best I think.

KyleCross

So, I've always avoided the development builds choosing to just stick to the big release versions. However I just downloaded the latest development build (there's like... 20 of these things a day?!) and HOLY CRAP. My framerate has jumped up and I no longer have garbage audio.

Lettuce

Hmm just a wild guess, do you use the Dolphin Widescreen Hack? :eek: I get the same black boxes when I use it even in the normal build.

Yeah i do, ill try altering that.

On a side note how do you select between DX10 or 11, the only device options i have are OpenGL, Direct3D and Software??

Wow, I just tried the latest development version (4.0-3214) and DKCR finally works flawlessly on my FX-8350. Btw, I noticed some games working on 120-150 fps even if frame limit is on, turns out I had "VBeam Speed Hack" checked on those games from earlier versions so that fixed it (right click on game, properties).

teiresias

Why do you need Bluetooth built in?

Since I don't have bluetooth built into my motherboard and I've never had luck with the various dongles. The Dolphinbar built-in bluetooth was reported to just work and that the stack was written specifically with the wiimote connection in mind in the reviews I've seen.

KyleCross

I notice in certain games whenever the characters come in contact with water (or even overlaps it from a distance) they get this double vision effect around them. Anyone know a fix?

KyleCross

Can you provide some specific examples?

Here's an example from One Piece: Unlimited Adventure. It happens only when the character is overlapped over the water, no matter how far away. You'll notice that part of the model submerged in water (the legs) aren't ghosting.

I've had this effect occur in PCSX2 with games too.

iztheh.png

jxymfk.png

PGamer

fucking juniors
Here's an example from One Piece: Unlimited Adventure. It happens only when the character is overlapped over the water, no matter how far away. You'll notice that part of the model submerged in water (the legs) aren't ghosting.

Hmm, I'm not sure what's causing that. If it's still an issue in the latest development builds you might want to file a bug report as there don't appear to be any open issues for One Piece: Unlimited Adventure at the moment.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Try setting internal resolution to auto(multiple) or some other multiple rather than window size

KyleCross

Try setting internal resolution to auto(multiple) or some other multiple rather than window size

Resolution was the first thing I tried, no go. I do have a hunch tho... I remember testing out Twilight Princess (Gamecube) with Dolphin's Widescreen hack (before I found out about the game specific hack code that turns on widescreen) and this same kind of ghosting of the models would occur over water. That reminded me that One Piece: Unlimited Adventure doesn't display fully in 16:9 aspect ratio. When you play it on an actual Wii it has small pillarboxing on the sides. My hunch is this change in aspect ratio, similar to Twilight Princess, is what's causing it.

Is there a setting that allows it to display in that original intended aspect ratio like on the Wii? I can take a screenshot of the game on the Wii with my capture card to show you what I mean.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Is there a setting that allows it to display in that original intended aspect ratio like on the Wii? I can take a screenshot of the game on the Wii with my capture card to show you what I mean.

Turn off Widescreen Hack and set Aspect Ratio to Auto.

KyleCross

Turn off Widescreen Hack and set Aspect Ratio to Auto.

That's what I've always had my settings as. Also I guess the aspect ratio isn't the cause as I just tested it on the sequel One Piece Unlimited Cruise which didn't have pillarboxing on the Wii, in fact the ghosting is incredibly bad to the point you have giant ghost versions of all models appearing in the water. Maybe it's an issue with this series engine? I should test some other games with water.

PGamer

fucking juniors
That's what I've always had my settings as. Also I guess the aspect ratio isn't the cause as I just tested it on the sequel One Piece Unlimited Cruise which didn't have pillarboxing on the Wii, in fact the ghosting is incredibly bad to the point you have giant ghost versions of all models appearing in the water. Maybe it's an issue with this series engine? I should test some other games with water.

What graphics backend are you using? Apparently the Unlimited Cruise games have some different issues depending on whether you're using OpenGL or DirectX. It might be worth trying the game with a different backend than the one you normally use and see if the issue persists.

ss_lemonade

Don't a lot of games with water (not just old, emulated ones) have similar artifacts?

KyleCross

What graphics backend are you using? Apparently the Unlimited Cruise games have some different issues depending on whether you're using OpenGL or DirectX. It might be worth trying the game with a different backend than the one you normally use and see if the issue persists.

Yeah, no go there either. I even went through the agony of testing it in Software Renderer. Ultimately it really isn't too much of an issue I guess, the games are still perfectly playable. Was just wondering if there was a fix.

Datschge

Don't a lot of games with water (not just old, emulated ones) have similar artifacts?
I think so. Similar stuff I have seen happening with water in TP for example. May be related to rough shader masks that are normally hidden by the smaller resolution or something like that.

LilJoka

Anyone know the best way to get round the bloom issue in Twilight Princess?
Im playing 4x Internal Res with the High Res texture pack.

Rich!

been messing around with playing Metroid Prime at a higher FOV

If the rendering area was increased, it would be perfect. As it is, it only displays correctly in certain areas.

also, samus looks pixellated in the second image - thats because I took the image just after the memory card screen and it hadn't had time to refresh her model.

been messing around with playing Metroid Prime at a higher FOV

If the rendering area was increased, it would be perfect. As it is, it only displays correctly in certain areas.

also, samus looks pixellated in the second image - thats because I took the image just after the memory card screen and it hadn't had time to refresh her model.

How do you do this?, might be perfect for playing triple screen with the widescreen hack

KyleCross

I hate to keep using this thread as my personal troubleshooter, but maybe the kind GAFers can help me. I'm having issues running Skyward Sword at full speed at 1080p. Rather I use Windw Size, Multiple, or 3x Internal. It runs at a crawl, to get speed up I have to drop the resolution way down. Vsync and anti-aliasing is off. Tested with both 4.0.2 and a new developer build.

Windows 7
Intel i5-4430 3.0 GHz
GeForce GTX 645

EDIT: I am able to run it perfectly at 2x internal resolution, to make up for the lower resolution I turned antialiasing from Off to 4x and it looks very good and no difference in performance. I guess my computer just really doesn't like the game running at 1080p or 3x res for some odd reason.

I'm trying to use the 360 button swap, but I have no idea where to place it

"Copy the SX4#01 into your Dolphin\User\Load\Textures folder."

where is this user folder?

aravuus

Best build/whatever to play Smash Bros Brawl? I'm getting horrible audio and random framerate drops and I highly doubt it's my pc. Xenoblade, for example, runs flawlessly, I'd assume it's the more demanding of the two.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Best build/whatever to play Smash Bros Brawl? I'm getting horrible audio and random framerate drops and I highly doubt it's my pc. Xenoblade, for example, runs flawlessly, I'd assume it's the more demanding of the two.

Run a stage and try to see how many framerate drops you get. Then afterward, run that same stage again, same characters, and see if you still get framerate drops the second time.

Also, as always, post specs bud.

Dario ff

Banned
The shader cache is my main annoyance with doing first playthroughs in Dolphin at the moment. I wonder if anyone would be willing to host a shader database for the stable releases (Shader cache gets rebuilt if the revision number of dolphin doesn't match to avoid conflicts, so this wouldn't work out for the dev builds) and if Dolphin could have some sort of opt-in Shader Cache sharing by users. I believe I read a thread regarding this suggestion on the Dolphin forums but no idea what came out of that.

EDIT: The discussion was about crowdsourcing the shader IDs apparently rather than the compiled shaders, which sounds like the better and more lightweight alternative.

Top Bottom