• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fable II Thread

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
One thing I hadn't really considered about Fable II pre-release, but have ended up enjoying a ton so far, is the humor.

I laughed out loud right at the beginning of the game, when you have to gather up the five warrants, reading the descriptions of the various criminals and their crimes. I like that one of them was nicknamed "The Nickname."

I didn't expect the high quality, detail-oriented item descriptions to continue throughout the game, and have been very pleasantly surprised to learn that it has. The first thing I do when I get a new item now is read it's flavor text :D

Another good bit of humor is the quest where you run into the ghost that wants you to find his lover. The letter he wrote was just brutal :lol :lol His little riff about it being so difficult because he's incorporeal was good, too.

DGaio

Chinner said:
so i dont know if its been already said, but some guys on another forum whove got fable have tried online co op and it is not split screen.

It was pretty much a given. I don't think it is even logical to have split screen in online co-op, because you know, you don't have the other player at your side sharing the same screen?

ace22b

Did anyone else have an issue where the contextual menu would stop showing up for the dog?

I can pet my dog through the RB menu, but standing right next to it the D-Pad menu in the bottom-left corner of the screen doesn't show up and pushing on D-pad doesn't do anything.

Reloading the save doesn't seem to do anything, not sure if I need to restart or did I just turn it off somehow?

This is rather annoying :(

Teknoman

ace22b said:
Did anyone else have an issue where the contextual menu would stop showing up for the dog?

I can pet my dog through the RB menu, but standing right next to it the D-Pad menu in the bottom-left corner of the screen doesn't show up and pushing on D-pad doesn't do anything.

Reloading the save doesn't seem to do anything, not sure if I need to restart or did I just turn it off somehow?

This is rather annoying :(
It comes and goes depending on if you're facing the dog as well. Alot of the context menu sensitivities need to be tweaked.

Man going from Dead Space to this. It just feels like such a weird shift in quality. I think the thing thats been bothering me the most is the way the character walks/runs. Well it didn't stop me from playing 8 hours straight, but this game certainly takes some getting used to.

Jasoco

Banned
All right, I just finished the
Crucible
. How far through the game am I?
They said I shouldn't get on the ship until I'm ready. Which I'm not. But is this the end?

Jasoco said:
All right, I just finished the
Crucible
. How far through the game am I?
They said I shouldn't get on the ship until I'm ready. Which I'm not. But is this the end?

About halfway, but this is a major, major turning point. Finish anything you need to finish, cause you won't be back for a long time. Things will have changed.

Jasoco

Banned
APZonerunner said:
About halfway, but this is a major, major turning point. Finish anything you need to finish, cause you won't be back for a long time. Things will have changed.
Thought so. Good. I'll see what I need to finish, get all ready and go.

Question, will I be losing anything that I won't get back, even later on? In other words, is it stupid to hoard stuff away at this point? Will I have to get it back later, or will it be here when I return?

Hows aboot my wife, Alex?

Sean

Banned
Having a lot of fun with this game. I'm usually not an RPG person - I get overwhelmed at the complex inventory screens and stuff, but Lionhead did a fantastic job at making this game really accessible to people like me.

I'm flip flopping between good and evil. It was awesome to get a statue of me built in the town but then I had to go and fuck things up by robbing a house (stole a condom out of the nightstand and then slept on their bed :lol). After resisting arrest I'm being chased down and stuff, is there any way to change my mind and do community service now instead?

wtf I thought in this game you still accumulate profit every 5 minutes even with the game off. I make about 600 every 5 minutes and I went to sleep in real life for 5 hours.

(12 * 600) * 5 = 36,000

I only received about 4,000 something when I turned on my game. What is up with that?

xbhaskarx

Every time I try to play the Pub Game at the Cow and Corset, Fable 2 freezes up... it's happened three times now.
I don't even want to play, I just want to recover my XBLA money.

RPS37

Lostconfused said:
Man going from Dead Space to this. It just feels like such a weird shift in quality. I think the thing thats been bothering me the most is the way the character walks/runs. Well it didn't stop me from playing 8 hours straight, but this game certainly takes some getting used to.

I agree. I think the character looks like he's floating across the ground. Especially when compared to big, heavy, space boots-Isaac.

Also, the menus seem way less...something. (I really don't want to say 'next-gen' but that's the only word that comes to mind.)

RPS37 said:
I agree. I think the character looks like he's floating across the ground. Especially when compared to big, heavy, space boots-Isaac.

Also, the menus seem way less...something. (I really don't want to say 'next-gen' but that's the only word that comes to mind.)
If you want to see floating, try Oblivion in third person view. :D

Seriously, Dead Space is too different to compare. (linear and all)

FFChris

Illuminati said:
wtf I thought in this game you still accumulate profit every 5 minutes even with the game off. I make about 600 every 5 minutes and I went to sleep in real life for 5 hours.

(12 * 600) * 5 = 36,000

I only received about 4,000 something when I turned on my game. What is up with that?

The obvious answer is, it probably increments slower when you aren't playing the game. Makes sense really.

I have a question I'm hoping someone can answer for me.....

So I got married, have a house, and a kid in the game yadda yadda yadda. When I click on the screen that brings up peoples likes and dislikes and feelings towards me, my wife's has what appears to be a ring (looks just like the ring floating above her head all the time) with a red X through it and the slider is near the very right side of the bar showing she almost does not love me anymore.

I have tried everything I can think of (including a ring) but I cannot improve it. Anyone know what to do or have this problem? Do I need to actually give her some special wedding ring?

Also the vault animations when you are jumping off something tall look terrible. Yeah....

Damn I need to go to bed..... 13 hours of Fable 2 in a row is not healthy.

FFChris said:
The obvious answer is, it probably increments slower when you aren't playing the game. Makes sense really.
Weird, I thought the game said you made the same amount of money even while not in the game.

Jasoco said:
Thought so. Good. I'll see what I need to finish, get all ready and go.

Question, will I be losing anything that I won't get back, even later on? In other words, is it stupid to hoard stuff away at this point? Will I have to get it back later, or will it be here when I return?

Hows aboot my wife, Alex?

There are events that will close off at the end of this, yes. I don't know about your wife.. difficult to say what'll happen there. This is the time when investments made (in businesses, or for example in the Temple of Shadows over the Temple of Light) will pay off when you return.

You'll be gone for
Ten years
(time period in spoiler) so who knows. I didn't have one at this point. A heck of a lot changes, though.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
While my opinions continue to stay about the same, I'm still trying to get it a fair shake...and I lost complete sense of time. Oop! Off to bed. :lol

FFChris

Illuminati said:
Weird, I thought the game said you made the same amount of money even while not in the game.

I've no idea, haven't been lucky enough to play it yet! It could be that ingame time (what is it, 5 real mins = 1 ingame hour?) is transferred into normal time. So one hour real time, is actually one hour game time, hence how slow you're getting money.

Jasoco

Banned
The Normanomicon
Also known as The Book of The Extremely Dead, this ancient tome emits a cold aura and appears to be bound in human skin. You can see the freckles. Within are to be found dark incantations and evil rites. The rhubarb stew recipe on the final page sounds particularly malicious.

:lol :lol :lol

Sean said:
If it calculates profits even when not playing, has anyone tried setting the Xbox 360's clock in advance?

I played at my friends house all day long today not on xbox live. I shut my 360 off, drove to my house which is connected to xbox live and started playing again and right when I loaded my game I received 45000 gold.

Keep in mind it only took about 5 minutes to switch my location.

So I am not sure what happened but I was pleased.

Also for the guy who was wondering game time my friend figured it out to be 1 second in real time is 1 minute in game time. So one minute is one hour.

Sean said:
If it calculates profits even when not playing, has anyone tried setting the Xbox 360's clock in advance?
Yes, you can advance the clock to the year 2025 miaximum, you'll be a millionare in the game... It would ruin the game IMO, I'll do it much later on though, when I want to buy out all of Albion. :D

Has anyone gone through
The Summoners
quest?

I believe the two bald arguing twins are cameos of Dene and Simon Carter from Lionhead Studios. :lol

03b.jpg
04b.jpg

L0st Id3ntity said:
Has anyone gone through
The Summoners
quest?

I believe the two bald arguing twins are cameos of Dene and Simon Carter from Lionhead Studios. :lol

03b.jpg
04b.jpg

Could be. That quest was a blast btw.

xabre

Banned
The 360 should have an internal battery for the clock. It's always been a pain in the arse when you have to reset the time whenever you pull the plug out.

Technical superiority - Wrist watch -> Xbox 360

StranGER

Jasoco said:
How the hell does it take 1 hour to walk 2 miles?

I mean how realistic is that? Especially since you can run. A mile should take 15 minutes tops!

well in the real world at a reg pace it takes about 20-30 min to walk a mile so an hour for two would be a bit long but not to bad if he stopped and smelled the roses on the way. lol
:lol

pswii60

xabre said:
The 360 should have an internal battery for the clock. It's always been a pain in the arse when you have to reset the time whenever you pull the plug out.

Technical superiority - Wrist watch -> Xbox 360
??

Never had this problem. Sure it's not just your 360? Also doesn't the clock correct itself automatically when logged in to Live?

Sean

Banned
Seriously how do you get rid of your wanted level?

I'm trying to do quests and increase my renown in Oakfield and stuff but the guards keep coming after me... is there any way for me to pay them off?

FrankT

Sean said:
Seriously how do you get rid of your wanted level?

I'm trying to do quests and increase my renown in Oakfield and stuff but the guards keep coming after me... is there any way for me to pay them off?

Yea, you can pay them off just have to let them catch you. Anyhow, don't kill too many or the fine keeps going up IIRC.

Sean

Banned
Jtyettis said:
Yea, you can pay them off just have to let them catch you. Anyhow, don't kill too many or the fine keeps going up IIRC.

I stood there and they just killed me with their sword... =/

They're still hitting me even after I died once. Do I need to manually give em something or does the option come up somehow? Now that they just gave me a scar on my face I'm thinking of killing them anyway :lol

glaurung

pswii60 said:
??

Never had this problem. Sure it's not just your 360? Also doesn't the clock correct itself automatically when logged in to Live?

No, the 360 really does not have a battery in its oh so very PC stomach.

Just remove the power brick cable and you need to reset the time and date. Same with the old XBOX.

Once you're online it just checks against the server time, I believe.

FrankT

Sean said:

They're still hitting me even after I died once. Do I need to manually give em something or does the option come up somehow? Now that they just gave me a scar on my face I'm thinking of killing them anyway :lol

Hmm, not sure I had this happen last night. I think I just ran into them and then it gave me the option to pay my fine.

birdman

Sean said:

How did you get your wanted level by chance?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Lostconfused said:
Would you say that Dead Space is a better overall game and that if you could only buy one you would stick to Dead Space and check out Fable 2 later?

Sean

Banned
birdman said:
How did you get your wanted level by chance?

Stole something in front of a guy and then slept in their bed. When I walked downstairs there was two guards waiting for me and it gave me a few options to either pay up, do community service, or resist arrest.

I resisted arrest and killed two of the guards, now I can't get rid of the next two no matter what I do. I left the area and came back, jumped in the water and they even swim after me. These guys don't give up. What I did wasn't THAT bad, my alignment is still right down the middle.

Holy christ. I've been playing for about 10-hours and I'm still in Bowerstone. I've run into Eric WK a couple times. :lol

Things I've done:

* Became a five-star Blacksmith.
* Pimped out my wardrobe.
* Got married to Deborah the Jeweler.
* Purchased the Luminous Lodge.
* Decked out the Luminous Lodge with Luxury furniture.
* Had protected sex with Deborah the Jeweler.
* Became Bowerstone's "Dumpling". :lol

Keep in mind, I only spent those hours IN THE BOWERSTONE MARKET.

Things I will do, before I move on to the next town:

* Check out the Bowerstone Cemetery.
* Check out Old Bowerstone.
* Try to have a child with Deborah the Jeweler.
* If I end up not having a child with Deborah, I will divorce(?)/kill her. :lol

Good god, this game is amazing. AMAZING! Game of the Year, I think? All I have to play is Valkyria Chronicles and/or Little Big Planet to really determine the victor.

DenogginizerOS said:
Would you say that Dead Space is a better overall game and that if you could only buy one you would stick to Dead Space and check out Fable 2 later?
Not answering his question for him, but I think Dead Space is the more polished game. In terms of quality, I would say that Fable II and Dead Space are equal - but Fable has extreme replayability and would last the long-run a lot more. So, I'd probably go with that if I had to buy one game.

birdman

Sean said:
Stole something in front of a guy and then slept in their bed. When I walked downstairs there was two guards waiting for me and it gave me a few options to either pay up, do community service, or resist arrest.

I resisted arrest and killed two of the guards, now I can't get rid of the next two no matter what I do. I left the area and came back, jumped in the water and they even swim after me. These guys don't give up.

Ah, there you go then. Once you resist arrest you have no chance to take it back. You have a mark on your head now.

A few details I'd rather experience for myself showing up in people's posts now... I'm out until I get the game.

Had better bloody get to me on Friday. Don't want to go the weekend without it. :(

birdman

I'm just glad this version of Bowerstone lets you have weapons in town. In Fable 1 you couldn't and I tried to kill my wife. Turns out all I could do was beat her senseless. Needless to say she divorced me and I married a younger woman in her place.

DangerStepp

Lostconfused said:

Yeah, it had a bit of a learning curve for me as well. It's just so different from anything else I've played. It's kinda weird to not have a numbered level for your character and to be able to rank up depending on how many orbs you have at the time. No doubt, once you're acclimated, it'll eat you up.

Top Bottom