• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

RK9039

i1TVQ99tcW4mG.png

ibeAt2Lfa03RvQ.png

One3rd

That looks awesome.
Dude this toon shader is fuckin cooool.

@One3rd, what settings are you using for your screenshots, and what resolution?
Thanks, I actually wasn't sure if anyone else would use it. Added it on a whim as I was playing Wolverine and it reminded me of how I was first introduced to the character.

You will find that the values don't scale with resolution (maybe we can change that?) so you'll have to use a very high power value at larger than 4K images. Those Wolverine shots were at 7680x3240 and 7680x4320 respectively with cartoon shader settings of:
CartoonPower 8.0
CartoonEdgeSlope 0.9

Edit: Oh, and I disabled the in-game post effects (bloom, color grading) as they didn't really work well with the black outlines and the base colors are more "comic book" than with the grading applied.
Cooool, you can change

Code:
colorInput.rgb =  pow(edge,CartoonEdgeSlope) * -CartoonPower + colorInput.rgb;

to

Code:
colorInput.rgb =  pow(edge,CartoonEdgeSlope) * CartoonPower + colorInput.rgb;

to get white outlines instead of black ones. It looks great on certain games!

I love this.
That does look pretty cool, could probably add a settings value toggle for black or white outlines.

I love what your doing with these to make them appear more filmic.

Were you able to fix the tearing in that game?
Tearing? I haven't noticed much tearing but I'm running it at 4K with VSync disabled. Getting over 100FPS. Or are you refering to the texture streaming issue at higher resolutions? That was resolved by increasing the poolsize to 1024. See Guide over on DET for this and other useful changes.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Thanks, I actually wasn't sure if anyone else would use it. Added it on a whim as I was playing Wolverine and it reminded me of how I was first introduced to the character.

You will find that the values don't scale with resolution (maybe we can change that?) so you'll have to use a very high power value at larger than 4K images. Those Wolverine shots were at 7680x3240 and 7680x4320 respectively with cartoon shader settings of:
CartoonPower 8.0
CartoonEdgeSlope 0.9

Edit: Oh, and I disabled the in-game post effects (bloom, color grading) as they didn't really work well with the black outlines and the base colors are more "comic book" than with the grading applied.

That does look pretty cool, could probably add a settings value toggle for black or white outlines.

I love what your doing with these to make them appear more filmic.

Tearing? I haven't noticed much tearing but I'm running it at 4K with VSync disabled. Getting over 100FPS. Or are you refering to the texture streaming issue at higher resolutions? That was resolved by increasing the poolsize to 1024. See Guide over on DET for this and other useful changes.

I think the limits on the values are sort of unnecessary, especially at resolutions above 1080.

For example, the RE5 shots were with toon power set to 80, and edge 1.3.

Once all of the post.fx stuff is fully upgraded and integrated i plan to add some more options to it yeah, like that color change and a line thickness option.

Actually I'll just PM you.

Durante

(yeah, that's a hudless partial fail on the second shot above)

screenshot_2014-10-251dftw.jpg

screenshot_2014-10-25mtewj.jpg

Game performs somewhat better than pre-release information led me to expect, at least for now. I always maintain above 30 FPS at 4k.

Durante

1Cgb.jpg

Took it as a jpeg with fraps. Downsampled from 4k yet its only 340~kb. Why?
Because JPG compression is based on DCTs, so an image like that one, where the vast majority is blurred, takes up a lot less space than one which is filled with high-frequency detail.

Durante

This game is not a great looker, but most screenshots I saw of it before I played it make it look worse than it is. Probably because the default AA is a blurry mess, and because they show zoomed-in views which you basically never use during gameplay.

screenshot_2014-10-262cykk.jpg

screenshot_2014-10-268lla3.jpg

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
skyrim_1k3ua4.png

skyrim_2atuo0.png

I enabled FXAA here, but it didn't wanna work well. ENB brings the FPS down to below 1, and makes taking screenshots really difficult, so I don't wanna do that. I've got only 256MB VRAM to work with.

Spazznid

Rösti;135995893 said:
skyrim_1k3ua4.png

skyrim_2atuo0.png

I enabled FXAA here, but it didn't wanna work well. ENB brings the FPS down to below 1, and makes taking screenshots really difficult, so I don't wanna do that. I've got only 256MB VRAM to work with.

I missed you.

Top Bottom