• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

10days1cui5.gif

Xenoflare

persona q is such a F****** annoying game. 3rd & 4th dungeons especially deserves a F****** award

Use a guide. especially for dungeon 4.
I snapped during the latter half of dungeon 3 and mowed down every single FOE I see under safety. You can change difficulties.

the game is amazingly frustrating. I enjoy it, but only in small doses.

lets screw our fans making their dungeon crawling just that much more fun, i swear there really isn't actual dialogue content in this game. people claiming that this is a large project with lots of text must be kidding themselves

70hrs in, just cleared 2nd floor inaba pride, had some genuinely close to throwing my 3ds xl against concrete moments, yea and the majority of that 70hrs is spent DCing. this game sucks for me compared to p4g.

bring on p4dancing though. Im sure thats gona be easier and more light hearted than this pq crap.

lets screw our fans making their dungeon crawling just that much more fun, i swear there really isn't actual dialogue content in this game. people claiming that this is a large project with lots of text must be kidding themselves

70hrs in, just cleared 2nd floor inaba pride, had some genuinely close to throwing my 3ds xl against concrete moments, yea and the majority of that 70hrs is spent DCing. this game sucks for me compared to p4g.

bring on p4dancing though. Im sure thats gona be easier and more light hearted than this pq crap.

And so, quality dungeons in the Persona series became seen as a weakness, not something to strive for.

Thanks.

PK Gaming

persona q is such a F****** annoying game. 3rd & 4th dungeons especially deserve a F****** award

See, I had the complete opposite experience. I'm already on my 2nd playthrough and i'm still having the time of my life. But yeah, it sounds like you're having a difficult time... Have you considered powering up? I'm talking about grinding ingame, but grinding in real life. You're bound by your natural limit, you don't know what your limits are man, and they can always be surpassed anyway. Reach deep down into your soul and call forth the power of the heart. Pour that burning passion into a strong desire, and grasp victory with your own hands. You can beat Persona Q, you just gotta believe.

Oh trust me there's a ton. Are you sure you didn't just skip the strolls, mash through every major story scene, ignore all of the in-dungeon events and pass up every sidequest?

LX_Theo

Banned
And so, quality dungeons in the Persona series became seen as a weakness, not something to strive for.

Thanks.

There's a difference between not wanting quality dungeon crawling and not wanting dungeon crawling to be the focus and determine the pacing and flow of the game's progression itself.

But hey, be condescending about a different perspective on the game.

Have you heard the mix of the 1st OP and reach out to the truth? (by shoji meguro!)

Yeah! I listened to it when someone posted it earlier in the thread (can't remember who, so sorry about that) and it was awesome!

See, I had the complete opposite experience. I'm already on my 2nd playthrough and i'm still having the time of my life. But yeah, it sounds like you're having a difficult time... Have you considered powering up? I'm talking about grinding ingame, but grinding in real life. You're bound by your natural limit, you don't know what your limits are man, and they can always be surpassed anyway. Reach deep down into your soul and call forth the power of the heart. Pour that burning passion into a strong desire, and grasp victory with your own hands. You can beat Persona Q, you just gotta believe.

okaygeraldo

Neo Member
So I recently started playing P4G (my first Persona) and have a question: is there a way to grind or can I only go into the other world during events/murders? I just rescued Yukiko and found the dungeons to be quite challenging. I felt that the enemies jumped in difficulty each floor and that was jarring.

CorvoSol

I'm really enjoying the dungeon crawling in PQ. I even enjoy getting my ass handed to me every fight. Seriously hoping that the whole "corrosion" spamming enemies go away in the fourth dungeon, but eh, they make things interesting. SubPersona system is rocking.

I just did the wandering around in the dark section of the hospital. It was nice to get some alone time with Rei and Zen so I could get to know their characters a little better. Something Rei said several times really kinda creeped me, though: "Like the doctor had." I'm wracking my brain but I'm not coming up with any time she's ever mentioning having seen a doctor before, so I'm thinking Rei was in a hospital at some point prior to the game.

I kind of hope not, because between Maki, Labrys and Rei that'd make three Persona games' plots that had revolved around hospitalized girls.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I'm really enjoying the dungeon crawling in PQ. I even enjoy getting my ass handed to me every fight. Seriously hoping that the whole "corrosion" spamming enemies go away in the fourth dungeon, but eh, they make things interesting. SubPersona system is rocking.

R]

So far, I haven't run into any of those in the 4th dungeon.

LX_Theo

Banned
So I recently started playing P4G (my first Persona) and have a question: is there a way to grind or can I only go into the other world during events/murders? I just rescued Yukiko and found the dungeons to be quite challenging. I felt that the enemies jumped in difficulty each floor and that was jarring.

You can go into the TV most any day that doesn't have events specifically scheduled for them.

Nimby

Banned
I picked up PQ on release day, and i'm still only on the third dungeon. Great game, but i can only play it for so long.

Same here, when things get rough in any RPG, I take a long break. I'm trying to 100% second dungeon and provide a good challenge so I don't wreck to F.O.Es later in the game, and my strategy isn't working out the way I want it to.

Shura Tensei is either completely bullshit or completely OP, I can't get a perfect strategy out of it. I could effectively use with Fuuka as my battle support with her healing skill, but Kanji would just randomly critical and could not be healed the next turn. Then I realized Rise has spotlight and set it up so Yukari went first when Kanji critical'd, but now he doesn't have enough HP to do Shinkuuha after Shura Tensei drains his HP. I also had to put an accessory on him which resisted panic, as he kept getting hit by the F.O.E. which also throws out some HP which could be useful.

Oh well, I fucked up somewhere in SMT IV and got locked into the Law route. I should probably pick it back up.

Same here, when things get rough in any RPG, I take a long break. I'm trying to 100% second dungeon and provide a good challenge so I don't wreck to F.O.Es later in the game, and my strategy isn't working out the way I want it to.

Shura Tensei is either completely bullshit or completely OP, I can't get a perfect strategy out of it. I could effectively use with Fuuka as my battle support with her healing skill, but Kanji would just randomly critical and could not be healed the next turn. Then I realized Rise has spotlight and set it up so Yukari went first when Kanji critical'd, but now he doesn't have enough HP to do Shinkuuha after Shura Tensei drains his HP. I also had to put an accessory on him which resisted panic, as he kept getting hit by the F.O.E. which also throws out some HP which could be useful.

Oh well, I fucked up somewhere in SMT IV and got locked into the Law route. I should probably pick it back up.

Shura Tensei works with Aigis pretty well if you focus all healing on her. Buff Aigis, debuff the enemy, Shura Tensei, Orgia mode, highest multi-hit attack. Pulled off a 900+ damage, at level 20, on the 2nd dungeon's boss. Definitely use it as a finisher though, to my knowledge, Shura Tensei doesn't go away until you get knocked out, or exit a battle

I picked up PQ on release day, and i'm still only on the third dungeon. Great game, but i can only play it for so long.

Yeah, I'm sort of in the same boat. It's not that I find it particularly difficult, but I don't really dig the overall flow of the game.

Working my way deep into a floor of the dungeon only to run out of inventory space or consumables, then either goho-m or walk out, go to the store to sell/buy, go to the Nurse's office to heal, and then get back to where I was at takes too much time. When that's combined with occasionally getting thrashed by a bad round of combat, forcing me to go out to heal, the back-and-forth makes me feel like I'm getting nothing done, just running in place.

There's also the borderline Flanderization of the characters (in terms of dialogue and behavior,) which is pretty off-putting.

The game is obviously quality, with a lot of care put into it, but it's not something I can sink my teeth into for a few hours at a time. They did add a lot of cool new features though. The sub-persona system and the wider breadth of attacks/skills added are fantastic though, and really add a lot to the game. I hope both carry into future Persona titles.

Yeah, I'm sort of in the same boat. It's not that I find it particularly difficult, but I don't really dig the overall flow of the game.

Working my way deep into a floor of the dungeon only to run out of inventory space or consumables, then either goho-m or walk out, go to the store to sell/buy, go to the Nurse's office to heal, and then get back to where I was at takes too much time. When that's combined with occasionally getting thrashed by a bad round of combat, forcing me to go out to heal, the back-and-forth makes me feel like I'm getting nothing done, just running in place.

There's also the borderline Flanderization of the characters (in terms of dialogue and behavior,) which is pretty off-putting.

The game is obviously quality, with a lot of care put into it, but it's not something I can sink my teeth into for a few hours at a time. They did add a lot of cool new features though. The sub-persona system and the wider breadth of attacks/skills added are fantastic though, and really add a lot to the game. I hope both carry into future Persona titles.

Don't know if it's just my bias kicking in and others also see her how i see Chie ("MEAT") and Akihiko ("PROTEIN"), but to me Aigis is one of the few characters that i don't see being flanderized nearly as much. I do enjoy the level of interaction between characters though, hoping P5 has just as much inter-party interaction and dialogues between characters and you. I also enjoy the somewhat silly situations that you are thrown into time to time (i think Atlus read some Persona fanfics during PQ development...), and it seems perfect for PQ, but not for the main games

I can only play about an hour at a time before i need to set my 3DS down. Usually 2-3 labyrinth sessions every time i start PQ. Something about the combat gets repetitive, but i can play P3 and P4 for hours on end...

Oh trust me there's a ton. Are you sure you didn't just skip the strolls, mash through every major story scene, ignore all of the in-dungeon events and pass up every sidequest?

I am grinding man, i am also trying to surpass my tolerance for BS in this game by making no excuses. this meaning I'm going to over level my characters and down the difficulty and fusing OP personas with OP moves. this is all done so i can face roll FOEs. God I have not experienced THIS level and intensity of annoyance in ANY RPG. Its not only that the FOEs are hard to beat, but they look F****** condescending. Especially FAST GUY and SWEATY GUY. They look so DAMN ANNOYING. Like they are mocking me holy F***. Holy S*** no joke. I would love to hand their asses to them once I get strong enough in NG+.

I'm going to show them whose BOSS.

I still think this game is very harsh for 1st play through. The dungeons, the puzzles (goddamn), the FOEs, the encounter rate, the limited inventory… I would love to buy REPELs like in Pokemon but can't do so until later in the game.

And goddamn IS..THAT…A…POW-ER-ER SPOT & that wall looks suspicious alerts are so damn annoying.
Also, I would love to mute my teammates every time they face a FOE that we've BEAT before. All these just add to the annoyance in the 3rd and 4th dungeons lol… I think you guys know what I'm saying. You're trying so hard to juggle so many things and my teammates won't stop chattering urgh.

As for dialogue/story content:

There's just not many man. The strolls are numerous but rarely any have any long string of text. The story is BAREBONES man. I'm at 4th dungeon and the STORY hasn't moved on one tiny bit. All I see is just amnesiac chick along with a protective ruffian urgh.

Cool. Mine of June 25th, 2015 is purely random, too.

More things to consider concerning the event:

I feel that, in a way, we're going into this knowing less of what to expect compared to the November 24, 2013 show? I dunno, feels weird. Next week will probably give us a better idea of the structure, along with where to watch it and stuff.

The first ever Stalker Club was directly after the November stream, it's possible that they'll do something similar here.

Don't know if it's just my bias kicking in and others also see her how i see Chie ("MEAT") and Akihiko ("PROTEIN"), but to me Aigis is one of the few characters that i don't see being flanderized nearly as much. I do enjoy the level of interaction between characters though, hoping P5 has just as much inter-party interaction and dialogues between characters and you. I also enjoy the somewhat silly situations that you are thrown into time to time (i think Atlus read some Persona fanfics during PQ development...), and it seems perfect for PQ, but not for the main games

I feel like Aigis was flanderised quite a bit in Q, but she was done so in a way that's a lot more entertaining and still sort of works with her charecter better than Akihiko and Chie, and she's one of the best characters in Q anyway, so I don't really have a problem with it.

Drop

Super secret page from Persona 4 Arena Ultimax artbook.

That's really cool, now we just need to wait for the 5th iteration of the game...

I really should pick up the first persona again, I still haven't beaten it, and now thanks to you I'll be listening to the battle theme for a bit.

All this talk about PQ is making me want to get the game as soon as possible.

FluxWaveZ

The first ever Stalker Club was directly after the November stream, it's possible that they'll do something similar here.

It wasn't officially known or formed as the Persona Stalker Club back then. The reason it was created was because of the positive reception the November 24th, 2013 post-show got. The first episode of PSC, shortly after the Persona Stalker Club name was officially trademarked, was in February 2014.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I'm just at the third dungeon in PQ, my main complaints with the game so far are the fact that I keep finding poems in the Velvet room, and that it warns me that I don't have any Goho-M's every time I go into the dungeon, LIKE I'M SOME KIND OF BITCH.

I've gone in completely blind as to what the game is about story wise, and equally so with game mechanics (what the best skills/personas are etc). Although it seems to take forever to finish a floor, I don't feel as though I've hit any walls yet - so unless the game gets more frustrating from here on out I don't see the experience getting diminished at any point.

It might partly be down to the way I've played up to now. I haven't changed my party line-up at all, and when I unlocked the second dungeon, went back to the first and took out an FOE to see if I could. When it yielded a high level persona, I did it again so that I had enough for my party and navigator. It strikes me that you could just do that at any point where the difficulty spikes suddenly.

I still haven't picked up Persona Q, but that's mainly because I'm working on Etrian Odyssey 2. As a fan of the Etrian Odyssey games, PQ is like a game from heaven for me. Well, except for my fear of the characters getting Flanderized, which Perfect Cha0s seems to be pointing out.

Granted, I can see how this sort of gameplay isn't for everyone, but seeing as the trailers and pre-release info made it pretty clear that this game was aiming to have more dungeon focus, I'm imagining that most people here at least had an idea of what they were going to expect, even if they weren't sure if they would like it.

Now if Persona 5 randomly decided to have dungeons like this, THEN I could understand the hate since 3 and 4 had a more simple dungeon scheme (not 1 and to a lesser extent 2, but those games are older and I know most current fans haven't tried them). I personally would love if Persona 5 had more complex dungeons, though perhaps it'd be a bit much if they made them PQ/Etrian Odyssey/Strange Journey levels since the social side is still supposed to be a big focus.

Ostinatto

I'm playing P3P for the first time, im dying a lot on
Nyx Avatar (maniac)
, it is possible to kill her at level 71? any tips for this? tvm.

There's a difference between not wanting quality dungeon crawling and not wanting dungeon crawling to be the focus and determine the pacing and flow of the game's progression itself.

But hey, be condescending about a different perspective on the game.

Don't use this weak reframing.

Hyperbole and heated broadstroke posts get heat. It was a known factor this game had both strong narrative facets and strong involved dungeons going in, so no "screwing fans" was involved.

I'm playing P3P for the first time, im dying a lot on
Nyx Avatar (maniac)
, it is possible to kill her at level 71? any tips for this? tvm.

Gonna need more info unless you want us essentially quoting strategy guide. What party members are you using? What Personas? How far along are you getting in the fight?

The only general tip I'd give you without pretty much having you copy a battle plan (since IMO it's more fun to see people make your own battle plans work) is to consider farming Abaddon or Narcissus's Heart Items (Abaddon's voids most stat effects, and Narcissus's specifically voids charm). This is helpful for the very last stage of the fight.

Meia

Honestly, a lot of the PQ complaints are very similar to ones people who haven't played an EO game before have(no surprise there as it is different). In general, you want to go back to "base" every time you unlock another shortcut in the maze, never before. Ideally, you progess in a dungeon enough to open up a way that gives you easy/fast access to the start of that floor, then port out to sell/resupply. It's kind of the structure/flow of the games, really. If you find you're doing it before you get to that point, you may have to reevaluate how you're handling things. To be honest, I never use SP out of battle to recover health, not much reason to. There's nav skills that restore HP per turn, one that restores 20% of your HP at the end of every battle, nav skills that restore HP per step you take in a dungeon, etc.

EO games are like that. If you're making use of the systems they offer you with builds/personas/skills, you may struggle a bit, but you'll always make progress. If you're not however, you may be doing something wrong...

Corrosion does suck. If you're using the P4 path or using the P4MC, he gets an ability that directly counters it at around the same level you start seeing them(Dekunda). If you don't have that skill, find a way to.

So I'm not trying to grind, but as I rerun though Steamy Bathhouse to get the quest items and beat the optional boss before taking on Rise's dungeon I've run into and beaten so many wealth hands that I'm almost at the same level as that guy who grinded and can't beat Shadow Teddie :X

Chie Rebellion/Revolution + accuracy boost spell + multi hit physical attacks = lolol

Meia

So I'm not trying to grind, but as I rerun though Steamy Bathhouse to get the quest items and beat the optional boss before taking on Rise's dungeon I've run into and beaten so many wealth hands that I'm almost at the same level as that guy who grinded and can't beat Shadow Teddie :X

Chie Rebellion/Revolution + accuracy boost spell + multi hit physical attacks = lolol

Yep. Apt Pupil raises her crit rate, Black Spot also has a 30% natural crit rate, so she'll crit more than half the time with it if you didn't use Rampage. :D

Yep. Apt Pupil raises her crit rate, Black Spot also has a 30% natural crit rate, so she'll crit more than half the time with it if you didn't use Rampage. :D

I actually got rid of rampage for gale wind I feel like that was a mistake though :X I actually don't have apt pupil yet P4G with all these slink bonus skills makes my party members have too many good abilities it's hard to pick and choose what to keep/throw away

LX_Theo

Banned
Don't use this weak reframing.

Hyperbole and heated broadstroke posts get heat. It was a known factor this game had both strong narrative facets and strong involved dungeons going in, so no "screwing fans" was involved.

Feels like you're ignoring what you actually said, so whatever,

SugarDave

I've been thinking of picking up a PS3 and Persona is something I seem to hear about more and more lately, and it's got me intrigued by P5. Are the games all linked or is it much like Final Fantasy or something where each game has a different cast etc.?

LX_Theo

Banned
I've been thinking of picking up a PS3 and Persona is something I seem to hear about more and more lately, and it's got me intrigued by P5. Are the games all linked or is it much like Final Fantasy or something where each game has a different cast etc.?

In between. Each game is a self-contained story and cast, but the world is the same world.

Spin-offs have had the casts meet each other at time.

Meia

Different cast, different storylines, same idea of Personas. Persona 3 takes place 2 years(?) before Persona 4, so both casts exist in the same universe, but don't interact in either game. Games have come out after the events of 4 that have them meet/interact.

Nap1400

Each game is in the same universe (spoilers)
well, sorta different universes after events of the persona 2 games
, but for the most part (discounting the spinoffs) you can play them in any order you like and still understand them. They're standalone titles that take place in the same universe, in other words.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom