• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront Trailer, game will be 60 fps

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
There is no way that trailer is running on PS4. PS4 doesn't have the power to run that kind of graphics at 60fps IMO. Expect severe downgrade on console.
Taking a look at the Gamersyde trailer again and I think it'll be relatively close. Shadows are low quality, lighting is baked, and you can see LoD transitions. Obviously that level of AA won't hold up, animations are tweaked, and there's probably more motion blur in the trailer than in game but it seems like they made some smart choices to give a good overall image while saving performance. The asset quality mixed with PBR has a strong impression of a larger step up from BF4 than it is technically. There's also no visible environmental destruction which will save a lot of performance, as well as a lower player count. Gorgeous composition overall. Not expecting 1080p though.

Bsigg12

There is no way that trailer is running on PS4. PS4 doesn't have the power to run that kind of graphics at 60fps IMO. Expect severe downgrade on console.

RoboPlato covered it pretty well and I'll add that finally getting away from an older version of Frostbite 3 that had legacy support for the 360 and PS3 has probably also opened up a bunch of new technical upgrades to the engine. Not being forced to develop a game that has to run on 10 year old hardware allows them to use new techniques and really do something special. It'll be interesting to see how the final product turns out compared to this reveal.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Taking a look at the Gamersyde trailer again and I think it'll be relatively close. Shadows are low quality, lighting is baked, and you can see LoD transitions. Obviously that level of AA won't hold up, animations are tweaked, and there's probably more motion blur in the trailer than in game but it seems like they made some smart choices to give a good overall image while saving performance. The asset quality mixed with PBR has a strong impression of a larger step up from BF4 than it is technically. There's also no visible environmental destruction which will save a lot of performance, as well as a lower player count. Gorgeous composition overall. Not expecting 1080p though.

RoboPlato covered it pretty well and I'll add that finally getting away from an older version of Frostbite 3 that had legacy support for the 360 and PS3 has probably also opened up a bunch of new technical upgrades to the engine. Not being forced to develop a game that has to run on 10 year old hardware allows them to use new techniques and really do something special. It'll be interesting to see how the final product turns out compared to this reveal.

This is what's up.

In DICE I will trust. Mr. Downgrade policeman be damned.

robgrab

Got out of the Battlefront 3 demo a while ago and saw it with my own eyes. The demo was only Endor forest stuff. First thing I noticed was the aliasing, especially with all those trees and leaves. I doubt it was running at 1080p. If it was then there was either minimal or no AA. Second thing I noticed was that the lighting, character, and object quality looked very similar to the trailer. Character animation was also pretty good. Overall the trailer is a "fair" representation of what the gameplay looks like. The build they were showing was an early PS4 alpha build. I'd expect the PC to offer support for higher resolution and AA, which should get it much closer to the fidelity found in the trailer. They also announced the PC version is going to be the first game to support Dolby Atmos for what that's worth. I was a little bummed they didn't show any vehicle stuff or other levels after waiting nearly 3 hours, but whatever. I still enjoyed what I saw.

Got out of the Battlefront 3 demo a while ago and saw it with my own eyes. The demo was only Endor forest stuff. First thing I noticed was the aliasing, especially with all those trees and leaves. I doubt it was running at 1080p. If it was then there was either minimal or no AA. Second thing I noticed was that the lighting, character, and object quality looked very similar to the trailer. Character animation was also pretty good. Overall the trailer is a "fair" representation of what the gameplay looks like. The build they were showing was an early PS4 alpha build. I'd expect the PC to offer support for higher resolution and AA, which should get it much closer to the fidelity found in the trailer. They also announced the PC version is going to be the first game to support Dolby Atmos for what that's worth. I was a little bummed they didn't show any vehicle stuff or other levels after waiting nearly 3 hours, but whatever. I still enjoyed what I saw.

Framerate?

EDIT: Thanks for reporting by the way! Much appreciated. :)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Sounds like what I expecting. Hoping for better AA than BF4 had.

It's going to support Atmos? How? That requires 62 speakers LOL

JDHarbs

What was the third person view like if you got to see it? Was the character centered on screen, or was it an over-the-shoulder view?

robgrab

The frame rate looked solid (definitely wasn't 30). Hard to tell if it was 60 though since it was being projected onto a giant screen so there was no Vsync. I wish they would have just shown it on a high end PC to show its full potential considering I could have bought two PS4s for what I just paid for my graphics card. They were REALLY pushing the "Sony" angle.

I also talked to the Dolby Atmos guy afterwards to see how Atmos was going to be implemented on the PC i.e. new sound cards or whatever but he wasn't clear.

16BitNova

People have been calling weak consoles but the graphics they are bringing fourth are mind-blowing.

This. Infamous, The Order, and Killzone are just a few that go head to head with the best Looking PC games. I have faith that the graphics will come extremely close to the point that I won't notice much a difference (PS4). The consoles have been out for like 2 years and the graphics are only going to get better and better as developers learn to optimize.

robgrab

The third person view looked good although I don't remember seeing your whole body. I think it was like from the waist up, not sure if it's adjustable. People cheered when he switched into third person. I personally preferred first person.

MattyG

Banned
The third person view looked good although I don't remember seeing your whole body. I think it was like from the waist up, not sure if it's adjustable. People cheered when he switched into third person. I personally preferred first person.
Did first person look similar to Battlefield (gun bob, kind of weighty)?

And would you say this is pretty close to what the real third person mode looked like?

DemandingBlankIndiancow.gif

SaberEdge

Thanks for the report. This is about what I was expecting in terms of the differences between the cinematic trailer and regular gameplay.

Venom Fox

Banned
Look at the games we got in the first year or so on the ps360 and then take a look at games later down the line.

Now please tell us again why this isn't achievable?

I think it is, just with an AA downgrade.

Here's all the playable views in BF2 (top 2 are most relevant), which was it most like?

xDznvVY.png

EDIT: Got beaten bad lol

are there laser sight attachments and can you aim down sights in first person view without scoping in?

robgrab

The demo kinda followed the "script" of the trailer with gun fights, AT-ST, rocket launcher, AT-AT, Y-wing bomber taking out AT-AT, but it ended different. He wound up going into a bunker similar to the one in RotJ and they were going through the halls when you see the guy in front of him get lifted up with a force chokehold and then thrown against a wall. Then you're face to face with Vader and he cuts you down. Fade to black.

chaosaeon

Ep VII DLC
Clone Wars DLC
Space DLC

Totally going to happen.

Probably. I think I'm going to watch what happens with its launch and the DLC. Worst case scenario, I will enjoy playing it a year after it comes out.

Edit : Am I the only person that thought the huge walker looked a little silly in the forest ? I mean really, it would have nowhere to even move and have to make its own path by shooting everything in sight just to have somewhere it could walk lol. Also the lightsaber ignition sounded a little off to me but then again half the time the same saber sounded different in the same movie.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Probably. I think I'm going to watch what happens with its launch and the DLC. Worst case scenario, I will enjoy playing it a year after it comes out.

Edit : Am I the only person that thought the huge walker looked a little silly in the forest ? I mean really, it would have nowhere to even move and have to make its own path by shooting everything in sight just to have somewhere it could walk lol. Also the lightsaber ignition sounded a little off to me but then again half the time the same saber sounded different in the same movie.

rotj082.jpg
atat.jpg

There were AT-AT's on Endor in Return of the Jedi... So it looked fine to me.

nib95

Banned
There is no way the game looks that good on a PS4 running at 60fps. Even at 30fps those visuals would be insanely impressive. Super pumped either way.

Venom Fox

Banned
There is no way the game looks that good on a PS4 running at 60fps. Even at 30fps those visuals would be insanely impressive. Super pumped either way.

I like the graphics, especially the particle effects and the lighting in the forest but I also think they can achieve this level of fidelity.

Also there is such a thing as optimization especially on consoles.
It will also have been 2 years since the console came out.

I don't however expect the target frame rate to stay at 60 from now until November.

Their excuse for 30 fps will be that this is also 3rd person shooter and we don't need 60 fps.

Also 900p will help net us graphics like that.

most people on youtube who have seen the gameplay demo has said it looks more or less like the trailer but with less AA.

That trailer was more impressive than UC4 and The Order. Expecting it to look like that, at 60fps, with 40 players, in a multiplatform title is imo pretty ludicrous. I would love to eat crow, but I don't think I'll have to.

That trailer was more impressive than UC4 and The Order. Expecting it to look like that, at 60fps, with 40 players, in a multiplatform title is imo pretty ludicrous. I would love to eat crow, but I don't think I'll have to.
Can it still look good to you on console without it looking exactly like that? I thought BF4 looked damn good on current gen consoles, it still does and it was developed with last gen in mind.

Venom Fox

Banned
Can it still look good to you on console without it looking exactly like that? I thought BF4 looked damn good on current gen consoles, it still does and it was developed with last gen in mind.
I thought BF4 looked good too and that was 900p lol.
I think they can maintain this level of fidelity (with crap AA or 900p again)

DeSolos

Sounds like what I expecting. Hoping for better AA than BF4 had.

It's going to support Atmos? How? That requires 62 speakers LOL

Apparently Atmos is more of an authoring tool for sound designers. The sound designers, and in this case I'm guessing the game engine, places audio in a 3D space and Atmos automatically maps it to all relevant channels with proper levels.

That's what I got from their explanation:
http://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/home/dolby-atmos.html

Skyzard

Banned
PC folks, expect a downgrade too. Don't think we're safe here. The graphics looked better than real life. They set the engine to max, the game won't be running like that, or else it would be the slowest slideshow we've ever had to sit through.

just look at it (from MattyG) above:

No. Way.

I really wish they'd cut the bullshit already, the game doesn't need the negative publicity later on when the truth comes out and it will still look decent. They're just trying to fake how different it will look, hoping people can't tell.

MattyG

Banned
PC folks, expect a downgrade too. Don't think we're safe here. The graphics looked better than real life. They set the engine to max, the game won't be running like that, or else it would be the slowest slideshow we've ever had to sit through.

No. Way.
Everyone probably knows this, but just to be clear, I'm not the original source for that gif. I'd love to give credit to the OP, but I lost track of who it was.

And I've been pretty adamant that it'll look like that on PC at max for the last couple days, but I actually have my doubts now. I just watched the Gamersyde footage and it's just too good. I would be astounded if they pulled it off to that level. I expect something close (with lots of downsampling and super taxing AA), but I just can't imagine it'll end up looking that good. I'm still hopeful though.

robgrab

No. Way.

I really wish they'd cut the bullshit already, the game doesn't need the negative publicity later on when the truth comes out and it will still look decent. They're just trying to fake how different it will look, hoping people can't tell.

As a PC gamer I'm used to getting the shaft but I have faith in the modding community to fix what developers refuse to.

Skyzard

Banned
^hehe, well I don't think they'd try to gimp the PC version for console sales, especially with it being heavy multiplayer (less worried about piracy).
Unless modders bring us computers from the future...it's just not going to happen. It will still be great I'm sure of it, just don't expect to be playing a movie.

Everyone probably knows this, but jst to be clear, I'm not the original source for that gif. I'd love to give credit to the OP, but I lost track of who it was.

And I've been pretty adamant that it'll look like that on PC at max for the last couple days, but I actually have my doubts now. I just watched the Gamersyde footage and it's just too good. I would be astounded if they pulled it off to that level. I expect something close (with lots of downsampling and super taxing AA), but I just can't imagine it'll end up looking that good. I'm still hopeful though.

yup, I wish too, maybe next gen or the one after that.

I still hope they can make it look really really great, but it's not going to look 5 times better than the best looking games that aren't as demanding made by top programmers. Battlefield Hardline was made by the same engine just recently.

uniqsx3.jpg

Dlacy13g

I seem to remember some very similar hype reactions to BF4. They claim this isn't another Battlefield game but I can't help but be skeptical.

Top Bottom