• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Ash Kickstarter: Playable Pre-Alpha Protoype released! (Install or Unity Browser)

DeSolos

It really feels like they've never played a PC game in their lives :(...

The gamepad controls are fine. Not sure why they made this public. It doesn't give a good impression of the game.

For showing no faith in a group of devs that includes people that helped make Legends. For saying that their resumes aren't good enough for you to believe they can make a game in the mold of a game they helped make. For looking at what they were able to do in a very limited amount of time and writing it off as "shite," while informing us that you're totally a fan of their past work.

Their resumes aren't good enough to get away with the way they've conducted themselves. Anything regarding these kickstarters has been a joke. They need to deliver a working product before they continue to put their hands out for more.

koutoru

Good fan service for MML fans who want to kick cans again (like me).

But I can understand that most people want to play a demo that will actually be representative of the moment to moment gameplay.
This demo is to early for that.

Spaghetti

very bad idea to release this. some people already have the dumb idea in their heads that what they see in a video game kickstarter should be equal to what they see when publisher funded games are revealed to the public.

it doesn't matter how many times you say "pre-alpha, not final", people will shit on it as if it is a real representation of the game, and that'll set the narrative.

Sou Da

very bad idea to release this. some people already have the dumb idea in their heads that what they see in a video game kickstarter should be equal to what they see when publisher funded games are revealed to the public.

it doesn't matter how many times you say "pre-alpha, not final", people will shit on it as if it is a real representation of the game, and that'll set the narrative.
Pretty much yeah.

Yep. And then when you CALL them out, haha get it, they'll say "I was talking about the prototype demo, not the FINAL GAME DUH", while missing that they're talking about the prototype demo as if it reflects the final game. This is only to give people an idea of what the controls may be and what they have. Hell, not even that. It's more of a desperate attempt to get good will toward the project by showing ANYTHING.

Spaghetti

Pretty much yeah.
that's part of the big hardship of running a kickstarter for a game that doesn't already have some significant money behind it. you need to ride high on promises and concepts and little else, because people flip out when they see what really early development on video games looks like.

same thing when the lake of fireflies shenmue 3 video came out. it was something thrown together very quickly using early assets and unreal engine 4 presets to show they could get the 'shenmue feel' in the cinematics with a new engine, but i saw even a video game journo (who should have a better idea of how development works than average joe gamer) saying it looked fan made.

then again, what more damage can be done to the red ash kickstarter at this point?

Good fan service for MML fans who want to kick cans again (like me).

But I can understand that most people want to play a demo that will actually be representative of the moment to moment gameplay.
This demo is to early for that.

I just toyed around with it and it was fun and nostalgic as a legends fan. The running sounds like it should, the jumping feels like it should (or, the landing does), and I got to kick a can into a store. I'm satisfied for the moment.

kewlbot

it was probably a better idea to make a prototype with some shooting?
like just a simple shooting range would have been cool since thats a pretty large part of the gameplay

unless kicking cans is an important element of the game
then in that case i take everything back

Wanderer5

There a red can that if you kick into the shop, you get some dialogue from Alisa:

FF7128420C26DA92FB71CA6CCE88F5E35BAEC98D

VariantX

kind of barebones isn't it? I think the video was more than enough for now. I get that everyone who loved legends got a ton of enjoyment out of kicking the cans in that shopping arcade, this really wasn't necessary until they got way more of the mechanics for this game done and dusted. On the upside, I kicked the dude on top of the boxes down the alley for a good few minutes, I was saddened I could not repeat this with the other NPC's. lol

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Now any argument that they "couldn't" make this until now and the Kickstarter had begun is rendered moot since theres still no assurance they're getting any money.

Start making the prototype and game in your own time, in off hours, then Kickstarter when you have something that shows the core loop of your game. (After hours dev is ironically how Megaman 2 came to be of course).

Case in point: The Bayonetta Prototype.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgRUJqrBVIM
FzCMAqx.jpg

Looked like a total piece of shit, but communicated what the game was to actually show the intent and core loop. This Red Ash prototype communicates nothing. "It has characters in a 3d environment" is all it communicates as theyve just bunged shit into stock Unity and hoped this might raise funding. Theres none of the action stuff the pitch or Kickstarter talks about that is hinting towards it being more Uncharted like. The project essentially only existed as a fanciful "maybe a MML thing?" project until they bothered to make a 3D model 2/3rds into the campaign.

The "I dont bother getting out of bed until I'm Kickstarted half a million" attitude is toxic to the initial intent of the platform and hopefully failure campaigns like this begin to drive that home to would be project leaders thinking about launching prematurely.

Elman

Red Ash Kickstarter said:
1. This mock-up is for you to experience the "feel" of Red Ash. There are Mighty No.9 characters as NPCs, but that is only temporary. The completed game will feature the characters from the world of Red Ash. I I guess you could consider this a digital collector's item ?!

It feels terrible!

Why did they bother releasing this?

Mr-Joker

Banned
https://youtu.be/Ngocs2bBwPU

Someone uploaded a video if you can't be bothered to play the demo.

Wow that's really bad, they should have looked at Playtonic who spent 3 months developing their demo footage for their kickstarter and that looks miles better.

Which is why Yooka-Layee got funded very quickly.

Where? All I see is Roll

How did they get Capcom to allow them to use Roll?

Damn, they got desperate. What went wrong with this Kickstarter? I know Kyle Bosman did a video on it, but is that how everyone feels?

This is Red Ash a new story, starring new characters with zero connection to the Mega Man Legend series a game that has an unfinished story.

Plus Mighty No 9 development started to raise question, especially when Inafune went back to well to fund for voice acting and DLC and how suddenly he had a publisher for the retail version. Oh and backers couldn't upgrade to have the retail version.

Then he had the nerve to release Red Ash Kickstarter before Mighty no 9 was even released, leading people to believe that Mighty No 9 might be bad and Inafune wants to get the money now.

And there's the factor reaching the target goal doesn't even give access to the whole game unless the stretch goal is reached.

Plus doing 2 version of Red Ash Kickstarter was stupid and really gives the impression that Inafune wants his fans to fund his franchise but he gets to reap the rewards

Inafune burned everyone trust with Mighty No 9 and people are unwilling to back their money on him when he has not delivered.

This is how we will remember Red Ash, kicking the can.

dead2.gif

The saddest part about all this is that Inafune is probably going to take this as people not having an interest in Legends rather than how they have been running this and past campaigns.

I am sure that Inafune doesn't live in a bubble and knows that he has fucked up badly, the fan is not at fault here and if he tries to blame them, well then he is no better than Capcom.

Servbot24

Banned
Why did they release this. It seriously feels like something a student would make as they come to grips with default settings in Unity.

I'm not saying Hyde are beginners or anything, just... why release this?

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Seems counterproductive more than anything.

Imagine Nintendo releasing a kickstarter for Splatoon but with their tofu build. Who in their right mind would pledge for that.

On a side note, glad it bombed. It seemed like a lackluster effort since Day 1.

Look at all these great 4 character profile pictures and give me 800k.

Please understand that at 800k, it's only for a small segment of the game though, because if you want the full package, it's at 2 million +

Please pledge. No.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Upskirts all day. If you have a girl in a skirt jumping, put sports shirts on her, instead of making contrived modelling efforts.

Ahem, anyway.
You're in a market street.
You can kick cans.

All this prototype says is "We're making a Legends clone" and, well... we knew that already. It's just so shameless, again. "Remember kicking cans? This is what you guys want, right?"

Mr-Joker

Banned
Why did they release this. It seriously feels like something a student would make as they come to grips with default settings in Unity.

I'm not saying Hyde are beginners or anything, just... why release this?

They have 5 days remaining and they currently reached 59% of their target goal not even announcing a PS4 version moved the needle, they got desperate.

Pyrrhus

Try again in a few months, Comcept. The concept was good and should not be discarded. It was the timing and execution of the kickstarter campaign that were wrong. Don't give up on the idea. Just work on it more before you show it again and don't expect the fans to swallow such a rapacious funding scheme.

nynt9

This just goes to show how much Inafune takes the backers' faith for granted. The prototype should have been at this stage before the campaign started, and it should have been at a pretty decent stage near the end of the campaign so that they could show core gameplay concepts to people. But Inafune clearly though "eh, they'll shower me with money anyway so who cares", and when that didn't happen, he asked a few guys in the team to just throw together something using basic Unity assets in a few days and then just shipped it. He's still taking fans for granted if he thinks this is anything but a desperate attempt to tick off the "showed off prototype" box for the campaign.

It's kind of insulting really.

Anth0ny

Try again in a few months, Comcept. The concept was good and should not be discarded. It was the timing and execution of the kickstarter campaign that were wrong. Don't give up on the idea. Just work on it more before you show it again and don't expect the fans to swallow such a rapacious funding scheme.

Agreed.

You start this kickstarter in February, and it's funded day one.

Sou Da

This just goes to show how much Inafune takes the backers' faith for granted. The prototype should have been at this stage before the campaign started, and it should have been at a pretty decent stage near the end of the campaign so that they could show core gameplay concepts to people. But Inafune clearly though "eh, they'll shower me with money anyway so who cares", and when that didn't happen, he asked a few guys in the team to just throw together something using basic Unity assets in a few days and then just shipped it. He's still taking fans for granted if he thinks this is anything but a desperate attempt to tick off the "showed off prototype" box for the campaign.

It's kind of insulting really.
Make up your own speculation and then take as fact, brehs.

Make up your own speculation and then take as fact, brehs.

Then what did he think would happen?

They started a KS with just concept art and another KS about an anime say its more like a prequel which will have 3 chapters if it reaches 800.000$ (so more like a prototype, as much as the devs would deny it), then later somehow they said there will actually be a main game.
All while MN9 isnt out yet, Inafune made a KS for Voice acting for MN9, sold the rights to the franchise, has an anime in the works and a low budget live action movie for MN9...

And then showing off the KS, when there was Bloodstained (Castlevania), Shenmue 3 and Yooka Layle (Banjo Kazooie 3) just shortly before that.

Agreed.

You start this kickstarter in February, and it's funded day one.

You don't need to go that far.

Mighty is released in September, if the game gets a good reception by players and media, that's an instant win for Inafune. Sadly that boat sailed and I really don't get why they couldn't see the beneficts of a successful Mighty no 9 launch, this is way more beneficial than the anime BS they tried to pull.

For showing no faith in a group of devs that includes people that helped make Legends. For saying that their resumes aren't good enough for you to believe they can make a game in the mold of a game they helped make. For looking at what they were able to do in a very limited amount of time and writing it off as "shite," while informing us that you're totally a fan of their past work.

Holy shit, dude, dial your fanboyism down a bit.

Mory Dunz

The problem with this type of prototype nowadays is that a single person can use an engine and make a prototype that looks much more impressive than this. And that person may not want to release it or turn it into anything special, it could just be for youtube or fun. Like Mario 64 HD or Pokemon Generations.

Those types of efforts that we see now make demos like this wholly unimpressive and not really useful.

Silvawuff

I totally understand this is a proof of concept, but I must concur it's not really doing much for the benefit of the Kickstarter. Compare it to the working prototype Yooka-Laylee put out. That made you want to back it.

This project pitch was poorly handled from launch and it glaringly shows. Hopefully they can regroup and put out a proper pitch with a better plan that is respectful not only to people backing them, but as professionals of game making itself.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Wow that's really bad, they should have looked at Playtonic who spent 3 months developing their demo footage for their kickstarter and that looks miles better.

Which is why Yooka-Layee got funded very quickly.

Yooka-Layle has had external funding since before they launched their KS, not a fair comparison.

While I don't know if this will earn back any of the lost favor from the miscommunication and ambiguities plaguing this kickstarter, I'm blown away that they would open up this playable piece of development for the public to toy with. To my knowledge, this is a first for a Kickstarter to do for a game before the funding period has even ended. So behold, the closest, roughest playable "Legends" game we've ever gotten in 16 years.

To The Death had a playable demo with their Kickstarter in January '14. It didn't make a tenth of its goal.

Yooka-Layle has had external funding since before they launched their KS, not a fair comparison.

The comparison is fair when you see what people can make in 24h or 1 week game jams. When I see what kind of prototypes we got out of Amnesia Fortnight e.g. and compare it to that, this one seems really lazy and really like someone just fired up Unity and made this in a couple of hours...

@MUWANdo

Banned
The idea is still the same. Put your best foot forward rather than throw out this mess.

Sure, the pitch and the entire campaign has been a shitshow, but that doesn't mean there aren't reasonable explanations for why they haven't done things in the same manner as other KS pitches, or things that seem like no-brainers from the outside, or whatever.

DSix

Banned
So, this literally is just a moving character and a dialogbox system. This is not even a week-end jam amount of work. Why bother showing this?

Feep

Banned
While I can certainly appreciate what early prototypes look and feel like, this move will obviously do more to harm than help. Poor decision.

The Taxman

Neo Member
While I certainly wouldn't expect the same level of detail implied in the concept sketch, it would have been much better to have a prototype focused on the 3rd person gunplay/robot part salvage mechanic they want to go with.

6ed0718b22f5375397b752749f4962ac_original.png

Top Bottom