• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

kierwynn

Oh boy are you in for a surprise. Welcome to the rollercoaster that is Charlotte!

Looking forward to it getting crazier!

It gets better. I just caught up from 5-9 today myself. The first few episodes are a chore and are largely pointless but it does get very interesting.

That's good to hear- I figure this first stuff is just setting things up, but good to hear people say it gets better. I'll probably try and watch another episode before I gotta get to sleep then catch up on the rest tomorrow.

If you care at all about organic character and plot development, great dialogue, and incredibly well-written hard science fiction, you need to put it on your "must watch" list.

It's also hilarious, and the emotional parts hit hard without being unearned or overly saccharine.
I've heard great things from many people, I just kinda forgot all about it. Good thing you folks mentioned it.

Looking forward to it getting crazier!

That's good to hear- I figure this first stuff is just setting things up, but good to hear people say it gets better. I'll probably try and watch another episode before I gotta get to sleep then catch up on the rest tomorrow.
Lol after episode 6's ending I'll be surprised if you actually go to bed without watching 7 ahaha.

Maybe I have a high tolerance or something but I'm on episode 4 of Charlotte right now after dropping Laplace and I'm not seeing any issues other than the fucking annoying sister. It's kinda funny and has neat uses of powers as well as a serious side that doesn't pull punches. Maybe I'm used to lots of anime that follow the same episodic structure up til shit goes down (the ole Trigun formula as I used to call it). Iunno. I've watched a fuck of a lot of bad anime and this is a far cry from them.

Maybe I have a high tolerance or something but I'm on episode 4 of Charlotte right now after dropping Laplace and I'm not seeing any issues other than the fucking annoying sister. It's kinda funny and has neat uses of powers as well as a serious side that doesn't pull punches. Maybe I'm used to lots of anime that follow the same episodic structure up til shit goes down (the ole Trigun formula as I used to call it). Iunno. I've watched a fuck of a lot of bad anime and this is a far cry from them.

Honestly if the show removed the dude with glasses completely, the first couple of episodes would be a lot more tolerable. Its not bad by any means, but the random spots of stupidity is just frustrating to watch.

Squalor

I honestly can't tell if most of the people here are still enjoying Charlotte or just along for the ride.

I had to drop it. Couldn't take it at all.

So I decided to check out the first couple episodes of Rokka, and it's pretty good.

Got to say, we're kinda supposed to dislike Goldof, but he really just wants to get it on with the sexy bunny girl, and who can't relate to him on that? He's the real hero of this story if you stop and think about it.

Generally speaking, the show looks good. The character designs may seem garnish at first, but the somewhat gentle color palate helps in that regard. The same can't be said of the CG monsters, because boy do they look rough.

Also, this little fucker...

...is gonna die horribly right? RIGHT?

kewlmyc

So I decided to check out the first couple episodes of Rokka, and it's pretty good.

Got to say, we're kinda supposed to dislike Goldof, but he really just wants to get it on with the sexy bunny girl, and who can't relate to him on that? He's the real hero of this story if you stop and think about it.

Generally speaking, the show looks good. The character designs may seem garnish at first, but the somewhat gentle color palate helps in that regard. The same can't be said of the CG monsters, because boy do they look rough.

Also, this little fucker...

...is gonna die horribly right? RIGHT?

She gets BTFO, but she's still alive.

KanameYuuki

I love me some huge creatures. I hope they're going to fight that thing somewhere along to line, even though I have no idea how that would work.

Hmm... The story is self-contained, so that's not a problem. But I think it's more enjoyable if you have a bit of background knowledge.
I'd say watch at least Fate/Zero before going into it. But if you're not into something dark, there is also no problem just jumping into Prisma☆Illya right away.

Then I'll try to give it a shot before watching Illya, I hope it is on cruchyroll, and I believe it is.

kewlmyc

No lie, though, Chamo's ability is strong as fuck.

But it's so strong, she's complacent in battle. She's also just a kid, so it makes sense she'd lose to whom she lost to.

She'd be unstoppable if she was a competent commander and tactician. But as you said, she's just a child. A cocky child, so it's fun to see her lose after 4 episodes of boasting. Once she's mentally matures, I doubt she'll have any trouble fighting anyone.

Squalor

She'd be unstoppable if she was a competent commander and tactician. But as you said, she's just a child. A cocky child, so it's fun to see her lose after 4 episodes of boasting. Once she's mentally matures, I doubt she'll have any trouble fighting anyone.
Except our best MC, of course, The Most Tactical Man in the World.

Cornbread78

I honestly can't tell if most of the people here are still enjoying Charlotte or just along for the ride.

I had to drop it. Couldn't take it at all.

You're missing the best parts now ad they finally moved onto the main plot. Maeda even warned everyone about the first 6 episodes...

Honestly if the show removed the dude with glasses completely, the first couple of episodes would be a lot more tolerable. Its not bad by any means, but the random spots of stupidity is just frustrating to watch.

He was decent the first few episodes, but let's face it, he was ruined by a girl.. Those Yusarin comedy bits are just getting old, lol. His interactions with Yuu are still pretty good, but that fanboy crap, lol.

Yeeeeeeah I wish I had read this before I watched it. Unfortunately I have to go to bed or I won't be able to wake up for work lol man why did I have to watch one more...

Yeah, hopefully, you have Crunchyroll on your phone, so you can watch at lunch tomm... tough spot to stop.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
House of Five Leaves
I don't really have a great deal to say about this show, but I kind of came to cross it off my list. I think it's a phenomenally written show, a smart story about the formative nature of the past and its bearings on the present, even when it seems so far removed. At no point did the story feel like it took some wild turn, everything here was well constructed, plainly stated, and in many cases predictable. This element left a work that felt really honest and genuine. Without narrative flourishes or tricks there's not exactly an emotional punch, but I like what's accomplished here all the same.

Hey anime gaf! This is my first time posting here, so hopefully I don't mess something up. lol

Steins;Gate 1-5

My fiance wanted to sub to funi's thing because he wanted to watch something (Prison School, I think) so I decided to put it to use and give Steins;Gate a go. I just finished the VN a few days ago and I really enjoyed it. I watched the first 2 episodes last week while I was still playing the game, but now that I've finished the true ending, I started over again to see all of that beginning stuff once more. The anime adaptation has been pretty good so far and the dub is pretty great overall (only one I don't like is Moeka).

I don't know if this happened in the VN and I just forgot or if they added it but they've been laying those
Suzuha
hints on hard. Guess it helps it all make sense in the end without having to explain as much which probably wouldn't work as well in an anime. All of Okabe's random posing amuses me as well. Other than that, it's just been kinda setting stuff up. Kurisu and Okabe's banter is pretty cute at least.

The next episode is where things seem like they're really going to take off since it looks like they'll
start sending off D-Mails

A bit late but welcome to Anime-Gaf Wynn. Hope you enjoy your stay and Stiens;Gate.

Dang yo. That necksnapping change of tone in Episode 7 of Charlotte. Is that gonna get addressed anywhere? Dude beat the fuck out of a ton of people, stabbings included, and almost did coke. Like damn yo. They just kinda dusted their hands off and were like "Let's go back to school!" That said, I'm always down for serious tonal shifts in my comedy anime. Hell, Sora no Otoshimono is one of my top 5 (manga at any rate). I do greatly enjoy that the way he acts before and after is different enough that you can tell the experience really and believably changed him. Only thing that sorta bugged me was the OG girl he tried going out with. When she dumped him she sorta took a "mature" higher route being like "Sorry yo, that's unfair to ask of someone that's not going out with you yet and I'm not going to one-sidedly chase after you" and so forth. Which is fine. But then she shows up and is like let me help you or do something for you after telling him they'll go their own way and everything is over so have a good life. Like dude, you dumped him and his sister just died and now you show up after not wanting anything to do with him anymore? The fuck? The whole situation just rubbed me the wrong way for some reason and it made me feel awkward that I ended up disliking her since in all fairness Yuu literally endangered her life to try and get together with her. She is in all the right but still irritated me.

That said, Sala Shane makes me feel weird emotions in my heart. I really REALLY like her character.

If I had to characterize this season, I'd say there's a lot of good shows.

But no really great one.

Has the new season of Gatchaman Crowds been disappointing? I haven't heard much discussion on it.

blurr

Yep Planetes is a must watch, every single episode was meaningful and enjoyable. I remember one of the last few episodes just gave me the goosebumps.

We got a request to make that a three week "let's watch" session, but hasn't mostly everyone seen it already? (I haven't)
I haven't either. Thing is due to school starting very soon and whatnot time isn't going to be in my favour so I'm probably gonna be sticking to the "dailies" for the season, and then once I get a break, I'll jump into it. That being said this week I'm mostly free... But Danganronpa is dropping on Tuesday.

Narag

Kuttsukiboshi 1-2
Feels like this is the end result of crossing the streams between YA fiction's unearned gravitas and anime's shittiest tropes.

Neo Tokyo

Really reminiscent of other anthology works like Heavy Metal or The Animatrix albeit without a unifying element throughout. Like those works, I figure there's probably at least one short that'd resonate with a viewer even if the others don't. As for me, I ended up liking it better than I thought I would and half-wonder if this would work as a brief intro to each director given the beautiful nonsense (and I don't mean that disparagingly) of Rintaro's segment reminds me of some of his film adaptations, Kawaijiri's Running Man segment prioritizes the "in the now" moment over reasons why we should be there which feels like his other works where plot is only useful in connecting set pieces, and Otomo's short has the same sort of technological fetishism seen in Akira or Steamboy.

Strike Witches Operation Victory Arrow 3
Ep was more in line with the good episodes from S2, action girl Perrine rocks, etc.

Mailbox

It really isn't often you watch an anime and in the first 3 episodes you are content if it were to just end there.

I'll keep watching this one.
Very interesting (though jesus, the colours are too bright (overbloom))

It really isn't often you watch an anime and in the first 3 episodes you are content if it were to just end there.

I'll keep watching this one.
Very interesting (though jesus, the colours are too bright (overbloom))

is this the one where they
kill the best character
and expect you to go on? Lol no I dropped it after that.

dimb

I dropped Ushio to Tora after like...five episodes. It wasn't unpleasant or anything, but it just really wasn't stimulating. Felt really old and out of date, and I didn't feel like anything exciting would come down the show's pipeline. What is the payoff to sticking with a show like that? The action is nothing of note, the characters are whatever, and the story is never going to turn into anything remarkable.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I dropped Ushio to Tora after like...five episodes. It wasn't unpleasant or anything, but it just really wasn't stimulating. Felt really old and out of date, and I didn't feel like anything exciting would come down the show's pipeline. What is the payoff to sticking with a show like that? The action is nothing of note, the characters are whatever, and the story is never going to turn into anything remarkable.

The fact thats its a remake of an old thing (or maybe im just a sucker for old stuff like parasyte) makes it very different from other animes this day and age and I enjoy it for that.

Russ T

Banned
I just finished binge-watching all of Flowers of Evil.

This was an intense experience. It is a disturbing 13 episode series about the despair of being a teenager and not knowing who the hell you are or what the hell you want. It's an extreme, exaggerated example, but... I didn't care. It was captivating? And repellent. I couldn't stop watching, although I wanted to.

The ending theme is distressing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok5yDYrO0gc

javac

Neo Tokyo

Really reminiscent of other anthology works like Heavy Metal or The Animatrix albeit without a unifying element throughout. Like those works, I figure there's probably at least one short that'd resonate with a viewer even if the others don't. As for me, I ended up liking it better than I thought I would and half-wonder if this would work as a brief intro to each director given the beautiful nonsense (and I don't mean that disparagingly) of Rintaro's segment reminds me of some of his film adaptations, Kawaijiri's Running Man segment prioritizes the "in the now" moment over reasons why we should be there which feels like his other works where plot is only useful in connecting set pieces, and Otomo's short has the same sort of technological fetishism seen in Akira or Steamboy.

I love Neo Tokyo. If you haven't seen Robot Carnival yet, first of all shame on you, and second of all you should watch it. I think, in the end I prefer anime shorts to TV series. Something about them I find very refreshing. Robot Carnival is a favorite of mine and has a special place in my heart.

dimb

The fact thats its a remake of an old thing (or maybe im just a sucker for old stuff like parasyte) makes it very different from other animes this day and age and I enjoy it for that.
I had my overrated outdated garbage quota filled this year by Parasyte and Ore Monogatari. I don't feel like unearthing Ushio to Tora is breaking new ground or something. Dragonball, Jojo, Lupin, Dororon Enma-kun, Gatchaman, Yatterman, old properties find their way back as faithful adaptations, continuations, or new interpretations of old ideas all the time.

Glad i checked out charlotte even tho the aesthetics initially turned me off. Sad it is only one season since i enjoyed the format in eps 1 to 5 and was hoping they would get back to that but it's fine.

Aikatsu 11

This episode is weird. When the main characters realize that one of their classmates has fallen in love with the grounds keepers Aoi lists all the benefits that being in love does for a girl's complexion making love feel appealing and positive. However, Ran shoots this down because of course idols cannot have love lives to appear pure for their audience thus denying this positive lifestyle. This mixed messaging just makes me sad how Japan treats their idol culture. That and how the girls just accept it for what it is. I guess the message at the end of the episode is supposed to suggest idols love everyone equally but it feels so hollow. I guess I shouldn't expect any lambasting of the idol industry from a kids show meant to promote it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You know, i always wondered what would happen if another studio tried to make an anime similar in style to something like shaft.

This is my answer.

And holy shit i loved it!

tumblr_mkn9tbE8jG1rvzdzso1_500.gif

I mean, it has a few problems (mostly in that the art feels aged even though its from 2012 (though this may be Crunchyroll's fault since their 1080p option for this one felt significantly less that that) and the ending does a slight asspull at the very last minute). I also could have used a lil less fanservice (though it didn't ruin the show or even get annoying. It's even used as an actually plot point regarding character psychology) But otherwise its damn great.

Amazing use of cuts and camera usage (probably the best POV cam i've seen in an anime bare none). This really feels like if Shaft made something and was reigned in to make it artistic but not crazy.

It really reminded me of bakemonogatari, gosick and ef a tail of memories (though the last one makes sense since its the same director).

I'll debate whether or not to buy this on blu-ray though.
Can anyone tell me if the quality on the blu-ray is actually proper 1080p and not the weird blurriness that Crunchy has?

I have no idea if Sentai has this up on TAN, but the BDs have commentary on every episode by who we believe is the main actress (I don't remember if we figured that out here when I asked about it).

And yeah, the director brought his Shaft style with him. Watamote looks like this show too, incidentally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom