• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | The 'Verse Awakens

Zalusithix

What do You mean by psychopaths?
Also it is a game, not a real world, its natural that people will behave differently, why wouldnt they?

Because not everybody is completely comfortable bypassing all their morals just because something is a game. In RPGs I can only go for short stints as being an evil asshole - and that's when it's only to a computer. When faced with people on the other end, I don't feel comfortable being an ass ever. It's just a game, but there's still people on the other end.

KKRT00

Because not everybody is completely comfortable bypassing all their morals just because something is a game. In RPGs I can only go for short stints as being an evil asshole - and that's when it's only to a computer. When faced with people on the other end, I don't feel comfortable being an ass ever. It's just a game, but there's still people on the other end.

When You are playing online FPS and shooting Your friend are You an asshole or You are just following the game rules?
When You play with friend paintball and shoot them in the face are You an asshole or are You just playing and having fun?
How can You roleplay a pirate, for example, when You are going to be nice and not attack people?

What do You mean by psychopaths?
Also it is a game, not a real world, its natural that people will behave differently, why wouldnt they?

I don't mean the people playing are actually psychopaths, I just mean with the obvious lack of real life consequences, players murder, steal and generally do things they wouldn't consider in real life. Not that there is anything necessarily wrong with that, I just trust no one in a game world that I don't know and I'm not nearly that cynical in real life.

Zalusithix

When You are playing online FPS and shooting Your friend are You an asshole or You are just following the game rules?
When You play with friend paintball and shoot them in the face are You an asshole or are You just playing and having fun?
How can You roleplay a pirate, for example, when You are going to be nice and not attack people?

If you're playing a FPS and trolling your own team (assuming friendly fire) are you being an asshole or just doing what the game allows? If you're playing paintball with a friend and intentionally shoot them point blank in the nuts are you an asshole or just playing and having fun? People do shit in online games that they wouldn't dare do in real life. This isn't a matter of PvP but a matter of people doing stuff to intentionally grief others and ruin their day.

Edit: Above paintball scenario is assuming you're playing with face masks so getting hit in the face isn't any big deal. If you're playing paintball without face masks, not only would shooting somebody in the face be an asshole move, but everybody without one is plain old stupid. Could easily put an eye out with a paintball without proper protection.

NeoFaff

Preordered Jump Point year 2 HC. Good thing I randomly decided to search the sc reddit, the RSI comm-link didn't mention the book :0 50% off if you have an active sub.
And only 1 person mentioned it on here when it became available. :p

Skyrim

Banned
Is it possible for your ship to be stolen?
let say you went inside a satellite and someone outside went in and fly your ship away.

So what happens to your ship?

Zalusithix

Preordered Jump Point year 2 HC. Good thing I randomly decided to search the sc reddit, the RSI comm-link didn't mention the book :0 50% off if you have an active sub.

I made mention of it way back when it first went on preorder. Anybody that has a sub should have gotten an email about it too.

Edit: Lmao at your edit. What can I say, nobody really seemed to care about it. I made my post and that's as far as it went. Seems nobody really wants it here. *Shrugs*

Is it possible for your ship to be stolen?
let say you went inside a satellite and someone outside went in and fly your ship away.

So what happens to your ship?
Yes, there's no locks for your ship currently. If somebody takes your ship, you'll have to recall it back at the station.

Skyrim

Banned
I made mention of it way back when it first went on preorder. Anybody that has a sub should have gotten an email about it too.

Edit: Lmao at your edit. What can I say, nobody really seemed to care about it. I made my post and that's as far as it went. Seems nobody really wants it here. *Shrugs*

Yes, there's no locks for your ship currently. If somebody takes your ship, you'll have to recall it back at the station.

so does the other guy can park in his hanger?

Zalusithix

so does the other guy can park in his hanger?

The PU is currently lacking the 'P' aspect (persistence). Your hangar doesn't exist in the PU. You can't fly out of it or into it. You can't keep ships that you've hijacked. You can't lose ships that you've had hijacked. Damage states aren't stored, etc and so forth. Think of it as a beach rather than a sandbox. The waves are erasing everything done in the sand. ;)

By the time we have true persistence of ships, I expect we'll have methods to prevent and deal with hijacking.

MikeDown

Banned
Finally got my refund, had to go through extensive talks with Paypal. It is amazing to me how this "game" has raised so much money and has yet failed to deliver on much of what was promised. Cloud Imperium has done such a bad job handling their product it really is baffling. Consistently missed deadlines, reports that they have gone through most of their funds, their current release is hardly playable, I mean people even have trouble downloading Star Citizen. That is a warning sign if I ever saw one. For me the most frustrating bit was that they have put their business model ahead of their game development. So much emphasis on purchasing new ships; having sales and then a few months later nerfing said vessel and encouraging players to upgrade to a slightly better ship. We don't even know how the in-game economy is suppose to work, they have said very little. Why people don't admit this game is pay-to-win is beyond me. The most sickening part is how exploitative CIG & their backers are when it comes to encouraging/enabling people to become financially irresponsible, especially when it comes to $65 jpegs. Glad I'm done with this game.

Zalusithix

ah ok that's good to hear.

Also when does your insurance starts ticking down; instantly after buying the ship?

Insurance will only tick down when the game goes final, and that'll be lucky to happen in 2017. The concept of insurance doesn't even exist in game right now.

Edit: Unless if you mean buying a ship in game. (Which you can't do right now anyhow.) If ships come with any insurance by default, it'll start counting down after you buy it.

<Snip> Glad I'm done with this game.
There's so much bullshit in this post that it's not even worth tackling. I mean really, blaming CIG for download speeds provided by a CDN? I'm glad you're done with the game too.

Skyrim

Banned
Insurance will only tick down when the game goes final, and that'll be lucky to happen in 2017. The concept of insurance doesn't even exist in game right now.

Edit: Unless if you mean buying a ship in game. (Which you can't do right now anyhow.) If ships come with any insurance by default, it'll start counting down after you buy it.
EDIT: oh yeah that's what I meant the latter.
so the 3 month insurance that came with the starter starts going down already :(

Donny

What package would be nice to get at the stage that the game is at right now?

I'm thinking about the Avenger package since the game right now is limited to 1 Solar System/Galaxy and it's mainly about combat rather than a space sim. That way I can have a good fighting ship now and then when the game actually is out I'll get the Aurora or something like that.

Zalusithix

EDIT: oh yeah that's what I meant the latter.
so the 3 month insurance that came with the starter starts going down already :(

No, you bought that ship with real money. It'll only go down when the game is complete! I'm talking about ticking down right away when you buy a ship using in game money when the game is complete. Or during the beta phase when insurance is implemented on temporary purchases (wipes before final).

MikeDown

Banned
There's so much bullshit in this post that it's not even worth tackling. I mean really, blaming CIG for download speeds provided by a CDN? I'm glad you're done with the game too.
Don't want to address it? Says more about you then it does me. But even then CIG is ultimately responsible for getting their product out into the public, and if people can't access it then it should be on them to try to mitigate the issue.

It's not, dude has been shitting up Star Citizen threads constantly with his refund updates.
At least five times by my count. And they were updates to a legitimate concern.

EDIT: It wasn't all bad though, CIG did a good job with high fidelity textures and visuals. And the racing module was pretty fun.

Akronis

Don't want to address it? Says more about you then it does me. But even then CIG is ultimately responsible for getting their product out into the public, and if people can't access it then it should be on them to try to mitigate the issue.

At least five times by my count. And they were updates to a legitimate concern.

The game has been in development for 3 years. Some MMOs have had dev times of over 6 years. How about chill out and let them work?

In regards to funding, who gives a shit? The game is ultimately skill based anyways. Let people pay for what they want.

Skyrim

Banned
No, you bought that ship with real money. It'll only go down when the game is complete! I'm talking about ticking down right away when you buy a ship using in game money when the game is complete. Or during the beta phase when insurance is implemented on temporary purchases (wipes before final).

thanks for clarifying that.
my 3 month insurance will last longer then. nice

tuxfool

Banned
Finally got my refund, had to go through extensive talks with Paypal. It is amazing to me how this "game" has raised so much money and has yet failed to deliver on much of what was promised. Cloud Imperium has done such a bad job handling their product it really is baffling. Consistently missed deadlines, reports that they have gone through most of their funds, their current release is hardly playable, I mean people even have trouble downloading Star Citizen. That is a warning sign if I ever saw one. For me the most frustrating bit was that they have put their business model ahead of their game development. So much emphasis on purchasing new ships; having sales and then a few months later nerfing said vessel and encouraging players to upgrade to a slightly better ship. We don't even know how the in-game economy is suppose to work, they have said very little. Why people don't admit this game is pay-to-win is beyond me. The most sickening part is how exploitative CIG & their backers are when it comes to encouraging/enabling people to become financially irresponsible, especially when it comes to $65 jpegs. Glad I'm done with this game.

Good. Every time you post my lips get chapped from your salt, all the way over the internet.

Zalusithix

Don't want to address it? Says more about you then it does me.

I'm fine with addressing logical issues. You, however, started bringing unsubstantiated rumors (blowing through all the money). Unrelated stuff (CDN/torrent speeds). Misinformation (ship sales above development). Missed deadlines (that they haven't used for ages precisely because hitting arbitrary dates is hard in development). Do you expect to be taken seriously? You come off as a hater on the level of Derek Smart using any small thing you can think to disparage the project regardless of how much sense it makes...

You're obviously so enraged by your refund situation that you've lost any objective view on it. Hatred can warp perceptions far worse than hype.

Donny

What package would be nice to get at the stage that the game is at right now?

I'm thinking about the Avenger package since the game right now is limited to 1 Solar System/Galaxy and it's mainly about combat rather than a space sim. That way I can have a good fighting ship now and then when the game actually is out I'll get the Aurora or something like that.

Anyone?

Zalusithix

The Avenger is a fantastic place to start if you don't mind shelling out that much. It has combat potential, doesn't rely on other people, and has utility on the side. Additionally, if you get the Avenger, there's little reason to get an Aurora when the game launches. The Avenger is pretty much superior is every sense.

Zabojnik

Always sad to see a Citizen abdicate. Hopefully you'll be back when S42 releases. You should try Elite: Dangerous or wait for No Man's Sky. I hear it's supposed to be really, really good. Good luck m8.

Donny

The Avenger is a fantastic place to start if you don't mind shelling out that much. It has combat potential, doesn't rely on other people, and has utility on the side. Additionally, if you get the Avenger, there's little reason to get an Aurora when the game launches. The Avenger is pretty much superior is every sense.

Yeah, but what about cargo and stuff? Won't players be needing that for different types of missions?

tuxfool

Banned
You're obviously so enraged by your refund situation that you've lost any objective view on it. Hatred can warp perceptions far worse than hype.

Didn't the guy just join after arena commander got released? He was there for a year, but that was way too long for him to wait...

Always sad to see a Citizen abdicate. Hopefully you'll be back when S42 releases. You should try Elite: Dangerous or wait for No Man's Sky. I hear it's supposed to be really, really good. Good luck m8.
You're pretty kind. Honestly I think the world could do with less of his kind of nonsense.

Zalusithix

Yeah, but what about cargo and stuff? Won't players be needing that for different types of missions?

The Avenger Titan's entire back end is a cargo hold. Right now you can only have one variant of the Avenger, but eventually you should be able to swap out the modules as needed. Prisoner cells, cargo space, or EMP depending on the need/mood.

Donny

The Avenger Titan's entire back end is a cargo hold. Right now you can only have one variant of the Avenger, but eventually you should be able to swap out the modules as needed. Prisoner cells, cargo space, or EMP depending on the need/mood.

Interesting, so these module swaps can be done on-demand?

GRaider81

Really having a crappy time with this so far. Game crashes everyone with barely 15 mins of play each time.

Running with a 980ti, 4690k and 16gb

Anything I can try to stop the crashes?

Zalusithix

Interesting, so these module swaps can be done on-demand?

Assuming you have the requisite modules, yes. You'll be able to swap them out at the hangar holotable like weapons, shield generators, engines, and so on. It's just another aspect of ship customization. To be clear you can't do so now, but will be able to in the future.

Anything I can try to stop the crashes?
Voodoo ritual perhaps? Sorry man, the alpha is buggy and the time before crash is more a matter of luck than anything. At least assuming it's not being exacerbated by general system instability.

NeoFaff

Well considering how much SC backers as a whole like pretty pictures and developer insight, I expected more people to talk about it. At least it seems to be selling well.

Zalusithix

Well considering how much SC backers as a whole like pretty pictures and developer insight, I expected more people to talk about it. At least it seems to be selling well.

Given the price is a bit high (not really considering the print costs, but still) for non subscribers, and the content is already available to subscribers for 'free', it's not too surprising it wasn't highly discussed here. Personally, I think it's a no-brainer for subscribers that want physical merchandise, but for everybody else it's a harder sell.

I've been waiting for a proper spiritual successor to Freelancer for a really long time. Somehow in all the news about Star Citizen I totally missed that it's being made by Chris Roberts.

But here's my question: how much of an actual "game" is this right now? Will I get some enjoyment out of it in alpha or should I really wait until the final version if I'm looking for an experience similar to Freelancer?

MikeDown

Banned
S42 does seem promising, will see how it develops. The idea behind Star Citizen is really neat, but right now it isn't a game I want to play. If that changes I would be willing to give it another shot.

The game has been in development for 3 years. Some MMOs have had dev times of over 6 years. How about chill out and let them work?

In regards to funding, who gives a shit? The game is ultimately skill based anyways. Let people pay for what they want.
Three years with relatively little to show for. Currently all we have is the area commander module & an empty planetside module. The first one only featuring a handful of locations and quests.

What kind of responds is "who gives a shit?", if the games gets funding kewl. The problem is it provides players with an unfair advantage and it fucks with the in game economy which we don't even know about yet. You can't honestly tell me that two players of even skills, one in an Avenger and the other in an Aurora are evenly matched.

I'm fine with addressing logical issues. You, however, started bringing unsubstantiated rumors (blowing through all the money). Unrelated stuff (CDN/torrent speeds). Misinformation (ship sales above development). Missed deadlines (that they haven't used for ages precisely because hitting arbitrary dates is hard in development). Do you expect to be taken seriously? You come off as a hater on the level of Derek Smart using any small thing you can think to disparage the project regardless of how much sense it makes...

The only "unsubstantiated" rumor was in regards to then having gone through much of their funding. Which as a matter of fact was credited by several former and current employees of CIG. You can't blow all that off as "misinformation" or "unrelated" when it has to directly do with the game. If deadlines are arbitrary dates and not useful in development, then how come CIG still uses them. They are the ones setting the pace for their race and not meeting them. Nor can you tell me that their focus isn't skewed towards the selling/development of new craft and vessels. Just head over to their website. I'm very happy with my refund, and will look at star citizen again if things begin to take shape and progress. I think the cult-like mentality some people have towards this game is a dangerous thing.

EDIT: Also I just wanted to add that I'm not trying to hate on anybody. I think it is really cool that some people view this as the 2nd coming of Christ; building their own home cockpits etc. I don't mean to take any joy away from them.

masterkajo

I've been waiting for a proper spiritual successor to Freelancer for a really long time. Somehow in all the news about Star Citizen I totally missed that it's being made by Chris Roberts.

But here's my question: how much of an actual "game" is this right now? Will I get some enjoyment out of it in alpha or should I really wait until the final version if I'm looking for an experience similar to Freelancer?

You can play the alpha right now but you won't have anything resembling Freelancer at the moment. A lot of crashes and bugs and hardly any mission system or anything beyond basic combat. For it to be a proper Freelancer type game it will surely take another year or two.

I jump in from time to time and see what has changed but it can't grab me more than a couple of hours at most.

Donny

Just to add, I've seen the CDN complaint and just wanted to add my experience so far.

I have literally just started downloading the game. It's completely sucking my bandwidth dry, as in I can't even browse the internet. Mind you my download speed is 200Mbps.

I'm having to pause the download so I can even reply to this post... lol

For it to be a proper Freelancer type game it will surely take another year or two.

Okay then... maybe this is the wrong place to ask this question, but are there any other games out that have a similar feel to that? I have Rebel Galaxy and Elite but they are on two ends of the spectrum and I'm looking for something more in-between.

KKRT00

I don't mean the people playing are actually psychopaths, I just mean with the obvious lack of real life consequences, players murder, steal and generally do things they wouldn't consider in real life. Not that there is anything necessarily wrong with that, I just trust no one in a game world that I don't know and I'm not nearly that cynical in real life.

There will be consequences, You will lose ship to a police in systems with security if You attack a ship without a bounty on it.

---
If you're playing a FPS and trolling your own team (assuming friendly fire) are you being an asshole or just doing what the game allows? If you're playing paintball with a friend and intentionally shoot them point blank in the nuts are you an asshole or just playing and having fun? People do shit in online games that they wouldn't dare do in real life. This isn't a matter of PvP but a matter of people doing stuff to intentionally grief others and ruin their day.

Edit: Above paintball scenario is assuming you're playing with face masks so getting hit in the face isn't any big deal. If you're playing paintball without face masks, not only would shooting somebody in the face be an asshole move, but everybody without one is plain old stupid. Could easily put an eye out with a paintball without proper protection.

Thats not comparable. If You are in pirate based organization, You wont be shooting Your own friends or allies from alliance, You will be shooting other people, just as in multiplayer FPS.

As i said before, there are many games that are theme parks, from the real sandbox games only EVE left and some minor, barely working indies.
Please, dont try to make this game another boring theme park MMO, there should be place for both experiences.

There's fun to be had in the alpha, but it's buggy and unoptimized-- it strikes me more as a proof-of-concept for the base MMO/multiplayer features than something worth picking up for the content. Arena Commander, the dogfighting module, is a lot of fun if you're just interested in ship combat.

Also worth noting that if you back now you'll be getting Squadron 42 and Star Citizen when they release, as opposed to having to purchase both separately when they split in a month or two.

Trace

Banned
Three years with relatively little to show for. Currently all we have is the area commander module & an empty planetside module. The first one only featuring a handful of locations and quests.

GAF needs some sort of "you can only post about game development if you have any clue what you're talking about" rule. Do you think that the engine came from nothing? That they had hundreds of staff day one and were in full swing in 2012? The actual full asset creation time has not been very long, and for a game of this size they've been moving along at a fine pace. The problem if anything is that they're being TOO transparent, and so people think that everything in the alpha is everything they have completed for the game.

masterkajo

Okay then... maybe this is the wrong place to ask this question, but are there any other games out that have a similar feel to that? I have Rebel Galaxy and Elite but they are on two ends of the spectrum and I'm looking for something more in-between.

I have no good recommandations for you sadly. But in due time the game will be ready and you can play. In the meantime you can back if you want to to get access to Arena Commander (Dogfighting module) as well as you see below access to Squadron 42 which should launch sometime in 2016. Squadron 42 is the single player portion of the game focused on a military story though.

There's fun to be had in the alpha, but it's buggy and unoptimized-- it strikes me more as a proof-of-concept for the base MMO/multiplayer features than something worth picking up for the content. Arena Commander, the dogfighting module, is a lot of fun if you're just interested in ship combat.

Also worth noting that if you back now you'll be getting Squadron 42 and Star Citizen when they release, as opposed to having to purchase both separately when they split in a month or two.

tuxfool

Banned
As i said before, there are many games that are theme parks, from the real sandbox games only EVE left and some minor, barely working indies.
Please, dont try to make this game another boring theme park MMO, there should be place for both experiences.

They have already stated that one of the design goals of the game is to be not-EVE. I take that very much as a rejection of a lot of the design choices that define EVE.

They're a sandbox, but not a libertarian anarchist's playground.

So I'm thinking of going for the retaliator base, but the $125 difference between the base and the bomber makes me think the base is or will be useless compared to the bomber.

I'm currently considering this as well given the flexibility of the retaliator with components. Anyone care to weigh in?

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14902-Retaliator-Module-Q-A

What happens to the old Retaliator? Does it stay as a solid block of torpedo only ship or will it be changed to modular base variant with torpedo bays?

Existing Retaliator pilots do not need to purchase another ship! Your current Retaliator is now equivalent to the base with two torpedo bays installed. You can purchase separate modules this week to swap onto your existing ship.

The military version of the retaliator is the base version plus the torpedo modules. If you don't ever plan on using torpedoes then the base should be enough for you.

Akronis

Do you have any idea what they had to do? They had to basically re-tool huge parts of the engine to make this work.

This is a tech-heavy gaming forum. To come here and rant and rave about how they have nothing to show in 3 years is fucking disrespectful and ignorant.

KKRT00

They have already stated that one of the design goals of the game is to be not-EVE. I take that very much as a rejection of a lot of the design choices that define EVE.

They're a sandbox, but not a libertarian anarchist's playground.

Its not EVE, because it doesnt have 1000 players in an instance or it doesnt have combat mechanics like EVE, or it doesnt have gates between systems that You can camp, but exactly how can You not have EVE like interactions within full sandbox?

I mean, what exactly do You guys have in mind to prevent full scale pvp with high death consequences in player driven world, because thats whats sandbox is all about.
You cant make half-sandbox game, its sandbox or its not.

And if its sandbox and we know it will be, then all rules that apply to theme park games wont apply there. I think the biggest problem that SC is facing with its funding and reception to its funding, is that people are too used to theme park games and just do not know sandbox. They cant think 'outside the box' :) They think in borders of standard theme park MMOs and they try to fit ships to character loot, the tiers to level power etc, the player driven economy to NPC based economy etc.
I mean, just the one implication of losing everything on death changes everything about the game, the combat and player interactions in comparison to theme park MMO.
And just add the fact that there is not progression at all and items are basically on similar power level and we have something people just dont understand.
For almost any MMO player and definitely for every theme park MMO player the concept of five lvl 1 character killing lvl 60 is laughable, but thats completely possible in realms of Star Citizen if we take that lvl 1 characters are people in Aurora and lvl 60 character is in Idris. 5 Auroras will probably be able to kill one man manned Idris without any problem.

There are some distinct differences from EVE regarding NPC populations in SC. A 9:1 ratio of NPCs to real players should radically change how often you encounter real people vs. AI. It should also make extreme economic griefing more difficult (for example one or two guilds cornering a market somewhere).

Since we have yet to see the effect of autonomous AI (with its shipping routes, routines, and its own proffessions) it has hard to grasp how different it will be from something like EVE. But I think it will be the main differentiator beyond the obvious differences in gameplay systems.

Top Bottom