• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight: Plague Of Shadows |OT| Saving You From The Plague of Paid DLC

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Where are the three music notes in the first village? I found one in the "sewer" all the way to the left when you first get in there, and then one under ground on the second screen in the right side wall. Where's the third?

Oddish1

Where are the three music notes in the first village? I found one in the "sewer" all the way to the left when you first get in there, and then one under ground on the second screen in the right side wall. Where's the third?

If I'm remembering right, I think you throw a potion into the music creature horn thing, and he'll give it up.

dan2026

Finished the game and the ending was super, super cute.

Also love how you can just hold up to dance at any time. So pointless, so amazing.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Can you get the checkpoint less feat from new game+? Is that advisable?

Don't see why you wouldn't be able to. It's probably harder though since you take more damage from enemies, making it easier to die (plus there's the lack of health pickups too).

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Kinda hate to bump the thread to ask this, but I'll do it anyway.

I'm still kinda curious what the best version of the game is. I remember hearing that there were some issues with the sprites not scaling properly on the PC version of the game, and I'm not sure if that's the case with the Wii U version, as well. And as I recall, the reason for that issue was because everything was based on the 3DS version of the game. So... would that mean that in terms of everything looking the way it should, the 3DS version is actually the best one?

I've already bought the game like 3 times, so what's one more... right?

I'm still kinda curious what the best version of the game is. I remember hearing that there were some issues with the sprites not scaling properly on the PC version of the game, and I'm not sure if that's the case with the Wii U version, as well. And as I recall, the reason for that issue was because everything was based on the 3DS version of the game. So... would that mean that in terms of everything looking the way it should, the 3DS version is actually the best one?

The only version of the game I have played is the 3DS version. It runs fine and the graphics look good. If you don't have it yet, it's a solid game on the system.

I've been thinking of buying a retail copy, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I replayed the game as Shovel Knight, but haven't tried playing as Plague Knight again since I first beat it after the expansion was released.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews

Can't say about the WiiU version but there's no scaling whatsoever with the 3DS version. Its screen has the same resolution as the game so it's displayed 1:1, pixel wise. It looks pretty good thanks to this and the 3d effect works particularly well also.

ShadowOwl

Only played the PC and the 3DS versions and I'm totally fine with both of them. Ultimately I must say that the 3DS version is slightly better. Switching between Items via bottom screen is much more convenient than the default menu, Street Pass support is okay and finally there's the challenge mode incoming (unlocked by the amiibo). Never noticed the mentioned sprite issue on PC-can't you just force the game's native resolution? Only problem I see is the latest patch not being available for any version other than PC: http://yachtclubgames.com/update-notes/ But there should be an update before the amiibo releases.

GCX

Just beat the game. I think this is one of the best DLCs I've played, especially for free. All the additions and changes made the game feel brand new and I loved how different they made the gameplay compared to Shovel Knight.

Propeller Knight was a bit frustrating but otherwise I really have no complaints.

sfried

I have the Wii U version and have not noticed any scaling issues at all. Even its Digger's Diary has its own In-Game presentation and all sprites seem to look native.

I recall back in the past something about micropixels and suck but it did not anything to make the game look noticibly off.

HeySeuss

I really think Plague Knight is more fun to play as than Shovel Knight. Question though, when playing as Shovel Knight, is there any way to make the frog in the village laught at my jokes?

ShadowOwl

Amneisac

I am so disappointed at what is appearing to be very limited initial availability of the amiibo. I'm not an amiibo collector, but I haven't played Shovel Knight yet (I own the physical Wii U version), because I'm waiting to play it co-op with my wife, and I'm really disappointed that I'm going to have to jump through hoops to do that. I wish they would just make that content available, even if I just paid $10 for it digitally or whatever.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I just beat the original campaign yesterday! What a challenging
boss rush!
And such a
sweet ending.

I'm going to play Fallout 4 before tackling the Plague Knight campaign, but I played around with the first level for a bit. Seems very interesting.

Also, I hate to say it, but I preordered the amiibo. It's my first. I've never seriously considered buying one before but the game is so cool, and it grants so many bonuses.

Amazing game.

Dr. Buni

Gotta save something for the sequel.
Fair enough. After all it will be really hard to top the first game.

Also, I beat Plague of Shadows today. And... I actually prefer Plague Knight's campaign over Shovel Knight's. Plague is more fun to play as (that doesn't mean Shovel isn't fun), plus the story is super cute (especially
the ending <3
). I haven't even finished vanilla Shovel Knight yet, to be honest, even though I bought it on release (lol)... but I should do that the next couple days.

Miletius

Fair enough. After all it will be really hard to top the first game.

Also, I beat Plague of Shadows today. And... I actually prefer Plague Knight's campaign over Shovel Knight's. Plague is more fun to play as (that doesn't mean Shovel isn't fun), plus the story is super cute (especially
the ending <3
). I haven't even finished vanilla Shovel Knight yet, to be honest, even though I bought it on release (lol)... but I should do that the next couple days.

Agreed. While I didn't enjoy Plague Knight's moveset a lot I thought that how they kept the story points more or less the same while adding a special Plague Knight twist to it was great. This wasn't just a model swap.

Tyeforce

So when does the amiibo update go live in North America? I just got the Shovel Knight amiibo but I can't use it in game yet. ._.

So when does the amiibo update go live in North America? I just got the Shovel Knight amiibo but I can't use it in game yet. ._.

It's currently live. If your game doesn't automatically update, go into the eShop and you should see patch 2.2 under the Shovel Knight section. A cool Amiibo instruction manual for those who missed it: http://yachtclubgames.com/sk-amiibo-manual/

I'm going to hold of on leveling up the Amiibo for now, I really want to finish up the last few achievements first.

Shredderi

I wonder if they're thinking about a sequel already or if they're committed to just the expansions for the next 1-2 years.

My PS Vita is the only console that I have at the moment. And i have been playing the Vita port non stop. I am in love with the soundtrack <3 <3 <3

I am stuck at the Explodatorium level. its very hard to complete :(

Dr. Buni

I wonder if they're thinking about a sequel already or if they're committed to just the expansions for the next 1-2 years.
If we get a sequel and not a different IP, they could have started conceptualizing the game, by now. The team is probably small so the focus should be on the expansions still.

ArjanN

The developers were on the latest 8-4 podcast, a possible sequel is discussed, I recommend listening to it for fans.

Just beat it. Is plagie knights campaign worth it? His characters gameplay feels a bit off to me.

I wonder ehat they have in store for polar knight - the true evil doer

hiryu64

Just beat it. Is plagie knights campaign worth it? His characters gameplay feels a bit off to me.

The story and character development in PoS (an unfortunate and very innacurate abbreviation) is IMO way better than that of the vanilla Shovel Knight campaign. Plague Knight's controls are hit-or-miss; he's veeery slippery and tough to precisely maneuver, but a blast to play (there's that pun again) and exceptionally rewarding if you master him. If you're more reflex-based as opposed to precision-based in your platforming, you'll probably prefer him.

As for Polar Knight, there isn't any campaign in store for him, unfortunately. King and Specter Knight are in the works.

Dr. Buni

I would say Plague of Shadows is better than the main campaign both gameplay and story aspects, but it's entirely subjective.

Soul Lab

I have to say I really like the amiibo functionality in Shovel Knight and I even couldn't try the coop mode yet. Fantastic work!!

LOVE my amiibo

So is this DLC (and all of the future Knight DLC) just playing through the same stages but with a different Knight? Or does it include new stages?

Layell

So is this DLC (and all of the future Knight DLC) just playing through the same stages but with a different Knight? Or does it include new stages?

For the most part yes, but Plauge Knight has small optional sections where you get certain items just relevant to his story. He also has many different mechanics and even his own collectable.

All the towns and optional areas play very differently, almost surprisingly so. In any case it's free and amazing.

(I'm going to assume the others will be the same as well, time will tell!)

Hey guys, I got my Shovel Knight amiibo today and was also planning on getting into this, my game seems a little screwy though, I remember beating it, and am even a couple levels into Game+, however I appear to not have the DLC unlocked, or the "finish the game" feat. How in the hell did I beat the final boss and start NG+ without technically finishing the game?

What should I do to unlock the DLC?

I started a Plague Knight game yesterday and now I only have about 2 main stages left.

I'm liking it better the second time through. This time, I made sure to get all the Relics to get the Arcanas. Those are pretty useful.

I also found it easier to get the Cipher Coins on the second time. It came back to me how to play as Plague Knight.

I hope the next two campaigns are just as good!

Edit: I beat the Plague of Shadows campaign, but I got stuck on Propeller Knight for over an hour. He was so hard! He was supposed to be made easier with the latest patch, but I honestly couldn't tell. What worked for me was using the Berserker's Brew which makes you invincible from knockback....because I kept getting knocked in a pit.

Overall, Plague took a lot of trial and error, and was more frustrating towards the end. I like his basic playstyle a lot though, I will probably stick to Shovel Knight for replays.

Propeller Knight is overhyped. Finished him in one try.

Orbit Casing + Berserker Brew + maxed out health through potions meant that i pretty much plowed through all the bosses in the game. If you don't have BB then there's always Smoke Bombs which will make you invincible.

The only challenge occurs if youre unwilling to change up your setup.

Propeller knight is much easier the second time you fight him because he doesn't break the floor. I beat him once but I missed the relic in his stage and had to do it again. Berserkers brew really helped.

Top Bottom