• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight: Plague Of Shadows |OT| Saving You From The Plague of Paid DLC

Are you using two separate attack buttons, one for bombs and one for bursts? I don't know if there's a way to check the version number of apps on PS4, but if you're still on 2.00, that would explain it. You shouldn't be able to stay in the air indefinitely like that as of 2.01.

Yeah, I have R1 and Square both set to attack.

I guess it makes sense that that's an exploit, although I'm struggling to think how they wanted us to do the feat to stay in the air without touching the ground for 10 seconds unless using vats doesn't count as touching the ground.

Any way, going to "Options" on the title screen on PS4 shows what version you're on. Mine says 2.0. :(. I don't know how to get the update then, since i already tried to manually "Check for Update".

Also now I need a new Propeller Knight strategy.

I hope they with the black knight for the next update. In terms of story he is the most interesting. I dont see them reworking all the levels enough to accommodate the bigger knights like polar/specter knight etc.

Apparently it's already set in stone we're getting Specter Knight and King Knight as playable. The kickstarter backers decided via a poll a long time ago.

I hope they with the black knight for the next update. In terms of story he is the most interesting. I dont see them reworking all the levels enough to accommodate the bigger knights like polar/specter knight etc.

All three boss knights were decided a while ago; The next two are King Knight and Spectre Knight. :)

hiryu64

Yeah, I have R1 and Square both set to attack.

I guess it makes sense that that's an exploit, although I'm struggling to think how they wanted us to do the feat to stay in the air without touching the ground for 10 seconds unless using vats doesn't count as touching the ground.

Any way, going to "Options" on the title screen on PS4 shows what version you're on. Mine says 2.0. :(. I don't know how to get the update then, since i already tried to manually "Check for Update".

Also now I need a new Propeller Knight strategy.
Try Treasure Knight's level (the water). I don't know how the update schedule works on PS4, but you'll probably get it soon enough.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I don't know if I'm going to finish the Plauge Knight campaign. I love Shovel Knight but I can't get into the movement and controls of plauge knight. I have too many deaths where I'm just like "Man. I did not mean to do that". That's something that never happens as Shovel Knight, there were never any deaths because you weren't doing the controls correctly.

I'm sure if I persevered through it I could get it down, but I just think it may not be fun enough. Maybe I'll just give it some time and come back to it in a few weeks. No need to beat my head against the wall and feel frustrated playing a video game...

I think the most important thing people need to know when playing Plague Knight is to save your double jump for after your burst jump. The second jump will halt your momentum in case you fly too far off in one direction, and if you were holding a charge then you'll have enough time to burst again.

Try Treasure Knight's level (the water). I don't know how the update schedule works on PS4, but you'll probably get it soon enough.

I had already done this feat, I was just trying to think of how it would work without multiple bursts. Good point though.

jholmes

I don't know if I'm going to finish the Plauge Knight campaign. I love Shovel Knight but I can't get into the movement and controls of plauge knight. I have too many deaths where I'm just like "Man. I did not mean to do that". That's something that never happens as Shovel Knight, there were never any deaths because you weren't doing the controls correctly.

I'm sure if I persevered through it I could get it down, but I just think it may not be fun enough. Maybe I'll just give it some time and come back to it in a few weeks. No need to beat my head against the wall and feel frustrated playing a video game...

I'm not sure (I hadn't played the game in a year) but I think he loses a lot less money than Shovel Knight on death. There's also large stretches where the game is a lot easier as Plague Knight, vertical jumps and bosses especially. I'd say stick with it because I couldn't get my head around it at first but it's really a tradeoff and a very different way to play the game.

Squishy3

this is an awesome series of events, now i have to use the cheat code to unlock plague knight because i guess the game doesn't count me as doing it the proper way because the in-game feat for beating the game never unlocked itself

s7XuD9O.png

PmQOTIS.png

HqdV9DQ.png

i mean i guess that's why they made the cheat code but it's still dumb and i spent like 15 minutes on this

All feats now complete, I thought I'd screwed up the destroy all checkpoint feat but the game was just trolling as it unlocks after the boss rematch battles (not that I mind, those fights all rock).

So much fun, I've cleared the game three times in the last day and not once felt bored. I got way better fighting Propeller Knight in the end, and I'm still loving how awesome that new final boss battle is along with the awesome
Shovel Knight
boss battle.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
All feats now complete, I thought I'd screwed up the destroy all checkpoint feat but the game was just trolling as it unlocks after the boss rematch battles (not that I mind, those fights all rock).

So much fun, I've cleared the game three times in the last day and not once felt bored. I got way better fighting Propeller Knight in the end, and I'm still loving how awesome that new final boss battle is along with the awesome
Shovel Knight
boss battle.

I have a question about a few:

How do watch Mona's dance?

The all check points destroyed, can you finish the game, then load back without New Game + and redo all the levels destroying the checkpoints on the initial save file?

... And how do you access the Plauge Knight challenge mode? I only see Shovel Knight challenges in the challenge mode.

NEVERMIND: I think the answers to all my questions are: keep playing the game.

NotLiquid

I kinda feel like Yacht might have done themselves a disservice with making Plague Knight's campaign the first DLC one due to how charming his story ended up being (in fact I think I might like Plague Knight's campaign more than Shovel Knight's). I don't see King Knight resonating with me as much. He's decent comic relief but I never was a big fan. I also worry it's going to be hard to one-up the versatility of Plague Knight's game play which was so damn good here.

I look forward to Specter Knight though. Alongside Plague Knight, he was always my absolute favorite.

88Titan88

I have a question about a few:

1. How do watch Mona's dance?

2. The all check points destroyed, can you finish the game, then load back without New Game + and redo all the levels destroying the checkpoints on the initial save file?

3. ... And how do you access the Plauge Knight challenge mode? I only see Shovel Knight challenges in the challenge mode.

NEVERMIND: I think the answers to all my questions are: keep playing the game.
1. One time when you finish a stage you'll be back in the underground city and Mona will be dancing. Just let go of the controller and wait for the achievement pop.

2. Yes, that is exactly what I did (after giving up doing it together with the speedrun).

3. Beat the Plague Knight campaign!

itsgoodmetal

Neo Member
this is an awesome series of events, now i have to use the cheat code to unlock plague knight because i guess the game doesn't count me as doing it the proper way because the in-game feat for beating the game never unlocked itself

i mean i guess that's why they made the cheat code but it's still dumb and i spent like 15 minutes on this

MSY here,

LOL

I kinda feel like Yacht might have done themselves a disservice with making Plague Knight's campaign the first DLC one due to how charming his story ended up being (in fact I think I might like Plague Knight's campaign more than Shovel Knight's). I don't see King Knight resonating with me as much. He's decent comic relief but I never was a big fan. I also worry it's going to be hard to one-up the versatility of Plague Knight's game play which was so damn good here.

I look forward to Specter Knight though. Alongside Plague Knight, he was always my absolute favorite.
It seems likely that king knight will be last though based on the ending hinting at specter knight's campaign

I love how the making the character completely different makes the game feel completely new. Can't wait for the other 2 boss campaigns.

Kadin

Does this update require starting a new save slot or are the changes shown in an existing save? I never beat the game and only played maybe 5hrs a couple weeks after it launched. Should I continue on with that save or just start over?

Does this update require starting a new save slot or are the changes shown in an existing save? I never beat the game and only played maybe 5hrs a couple weeks after it launched. Should I continue on with that save or just start over?

Separate saves, you need to restart a new game, need to beat the game first to unlock it as well but there is a code to unlock it without doing so.

Kadin

Separate saves, you need to restart a new game, need to beat the game first to unlock it as well but there is a code to unlock it without doing so.
Okay thanks, guess I'll finish up this save first and then check out the new content. Really enjoyed it when I played but just suddenly stopped to play something else.

Yeah ok I lied I am going bonkers looking for this >.<

Near the end of the level, there's a series of fans that blow you upwards. There's one screen with a fan right next to a wall with some diamond(?) patterns. If you look closely, you can tell that it's see-through (you can even throw bombs through the wall to help you notice). If you fall from high enough towards the wall, you'll drop through the fan's current and land inside the wall and can continue walking through.

EDIT: Lemme hop on Miiverse and see if I can just take a pic for you
EDIT 2: It's not near the end of the level, but a bit past checkpoint #2. Uploading the pic to Miiverse now.
EDIT 3: This wall right here:
QsLWjAu.jpg

jb1234

Wow, was Propeller Knight an asshole. It's very clear these bosses were designed around Shovel Knight. Still having fun, though.

Capra

I hope after the Shovel Knight amiibo sells 10000000 million units we can get at least a Plague Knight one. After this DLC the guy became my favorite character.

AcAnchoa

Ok, so I know hate Propeller Knight, this fight seems frustratingly impossible. I've decided to put the 3DS in sleep mode, relax a bit and come back later.

Is there a way to know if I missed any cypher coins?

Layell

Ok, so I know hate Propeller Knight, this fight seems frustratingly impossible. I've decided to put the 3DS in sleep mode, relax a bit and come back later.

Is there a way to know if I missed any cypher coins?

The world map will show for each level, it's the minus button on wii u so probably select will show more info for the level.

AcAnchoa

I came back and beat it surprisingly fast on the "first" try. Every time this happens I can't help feeling kind of stupid.

The world map will show for each level, it's the minus button on wii u so probably select will show more info for the level.
Thanks! I've managed to miss one or two coins in every stage except the Explodatorium. It doesn't bother me much since I'm not a completionist but it will be a nice excuse to replay the game.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Finished up getting the last of the feats yesterday (the speed run one). Wasn't too bad at all, think I died six times but was still over fifteen minutes in the clear.

Funny thing is, before that I was doing a playthrough to do the no money spent/no equipment found/no tonics used feats and ended up being two minutes and thirty seven seconds over on getting the speed run one as well lol. If only I had been paying attention to my time. Didn't mind playing through again though.

Really looking forward to King Knight and Specter Knight after this. I was really impressed by how much effort they put into this DLC and how fun it ended up being.

Didn't have too much trouble in the first couple levels, but I died six times in a row on Explodatorium by jumping into oblivion when the burst didn't go off correctly. Jump -> let go of attack button while charged -> nothing happens, fall to death. Is there some trick to it I'm not getting? Do you have to be at a certain point of your jump when you release the button for it to work?

That sounds strange. It should be immediate once you're charged.

Propeller Knight = I fucking give up. This shit is impossible.

Found him pretty easy. I used Sparkler Powder and Impact Fuse. The sparkler goes through him and hits from behind so he can't reflect it. I believe it does multiple damage as well. The trick is to stay in the air.

KevinCow

Banned
Ugh, finally beat Propeller Knight.

I am never playing this game again, and it's 90% because I never want to do that fight again. I'm not even going to bother 100%-ing it because I missed some green coins on his stage and there's zero fucking chance of me replaying that level again.

I just... this shit just isn't fun. Fuck Plague Knight, and fuck you if you voted for him.

Ultimadrago

I'm actually surprised how much fun it is to straight up burst jump through stages as Plague Knight. He was easily the Knight I was least looking forward to playing out of the playable choices to come, but they made it work.

Mona and her dancing is equally entertaining.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Ugh, finally beat Propeller Knight.

I am never playing this game again, and it's 90% because I never want to do that fight again. I'm not even going to bother 100%-ing it because I missed some green coins on his stage and there's zero fucking chance of me replaying that level again.

I just... this shit just isn't fun. Fuck Plague Knight, and fuck you if you voted for him.

lol just use that Berserker's Potion and let him run into you for easy damage. Then throw impact cluster bombs on the ground. Screw attack him when he's in the air. Easy as hell.

Question though: Is there a list floating around the internet with all the locations of the Cipher Coins and locations of the relics? I feel like I need to go through the game again and figure it out myself, but I may as well ask first. Anyone who did the speed run feat, what are your essential items? I'm thinking: Screw Attack, Life Leach, Vat, Invincible Cloud, Cluster bombs.

If you look back a few pages, I posted that I didn't know if I was going to finish this game. Now that I did, I see this as a Top 3 GOTY for me. I love it. It's kind of hard going back to playing as Shovel Knight, he moves soooo slow in comparison. I love the fast and fluid movement of Plague Knight. I still die from poorly timed jumps, but the more I play I get better. This is definitely a game with a very steep learning curve, but worth it. A really really fun way to replay one of my favorite modern video games.

hiryu64

Anyone who did the speed run feat, what are your essential items? I'm thinking: Screw Attack, Life Leach, Vat, Invincible Cloud, Cluster bombs.
Defaults only, no arcana. I love mixing up items in relaxed playthroughs, but once you master the default bomb/burst set, there's no reason to really use anything else.

EDIT: Not to mention you waste precious time going after the arcana and that if you're speeding through the game, you're likely not collecting enough gems/coins to get any meaningful upgrades.

Defaults only, no arcana. I love mixing up items in relaxed playthroughs, but once you master the default bomb/burst set, there's no reason to really use anything else.

EDIT: Not to mention you waste precious time going after the arcana and that if you're speeding through the game, you're likely not collecting enough gems/coins to get any meaningful upgrades.

Pretty much agreed for the same reasons above. I did the no buying and no arcana feats along with my speed run.

Going out of your way for Arcanas will slow you down. Since you will be short on cash, you have to get the relic then go to the new area with Chester. Along with the reduced magic, you will most likely get one or two uses of it.

The other minor thing you can get is the Lob Casing since it is unlocked at the start. It just makes battling Specter Knight easier. But you will only save like 30 seconds in the battle.

88Titan88

Anyone who did the speed run feat, what are your essential items? I'm thinking: Screw Attack, Life Leach, Vat, Invincible Cloud, Cluster bombs.
Essential items for a safe (but still fast) run would be, in order or importance:
- Lob casing (preferably before Spectre Knight fight),
- Vat,
- Life Leech.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Essential items for a safe (but still fast) run would be, in order or importance:
- Lob casing (preferably before Spectre Knight fight),
- Vat,
- Life Leech.

I would think lob casting would also be helpful for Propeller Knight and the first Enchantress boss fight, since they both have patterns that go above your head as ell.

Top Bottom