• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight: Plague Of Shadows |OT| Saving You From The Plague of Paid DLC

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Been playing this for a while now and not really enjoying it, sadly. The projectiles remind me of the horrible flame weapon from Ghost'n'Goblins, although much better of course. But I don't like the movement either. Charging while jmping with another button feels off and I feel like you can move almost too much for how small the levels/screenspace is.
It's amazing that they put out this expansion for free, but I don't think it's for me and I really loved Shovel Knight itself.

I change my bomb settings constantly, and I don't think I'm doing it wrong, either. Depending on how enemies are oriented in comparison to you, you're doing yourself a disservice trying to beat them with the wrong setup. I watched a stream where someone was trying to beat an enemy even with them on the screen, and a tiny bit lower vertically without switching away from the lob casing. Why! Just change it. The game doesn't have the vast options it does for you to turn around and square peg every encounter with the same setup.

You're definitely not doing it wrong, obviously. I was responding to a poster who felt he had to change his weapon set at every encounter, which is something you are not forced into doing. Sometimes I'll play through a stage without changing anything. Other times, I'll switch things up frequently. My point is that if you feel the game is too difficult or cumbersome because you think you're required to constantly switch up your arsenal....well, you don't have to.

robot

Incredible DLC so far. Love how Plague Knight controls, the relic rework, and his bomb combinations. Seeing Shovel Knight pop up is so cool too. Ohhh and dat Hall of Champions!

Not sure why people are complaining about his movement. Yes it's hard at first but unlocking float definitely helps and one of his early abilities is a rising uppercut, making it even easier. It really is balanced for all players, just like Shovel Knight was.

Brilliant work by Yacht Club. Can't believe one of my favorite games of all time actually got better.

Unit24

My frustration from dying over and over is making me go through the same areas faster, which is causing me to accidentally discover new tech that's helping me a lot. Still, I lost almost everything on that new path in Plague Knight's stage.

MrBadger

Wow, I'm really not sure what I think of this so far. I'm going to assume it's something I'll really have to get invested in because it feels like I'm learning to play an entirely new game. It's a bad sign when I have trouble on the intro stage, though

Wow, I'm really not sure what I think of this so far. I'm going to assume it's something I'll really have to get invested in because it feels like I'm learning to play an entirely new game. It's a bad sign when I have trouble on the intro stage, though

Uh...what? How is it not a good thing that their new character plays differently enough that the game feels new again? It's like they gave you a whole new game.

MrBadger

Uh...what? How is it not a good thing that their new character plays differently enough that the game feels new again? It's like they gave you a whole new game.

Ah, I was talking about my own lack of skill. It's fantastic that it's an entirely new thing and also free. I'm just bad at it

Wanderer5

I didn't take notice of this much before, but when my friend brought up that as someone who like engi like classes I should check it out, decided to pop out my WiiU copy, and yeeeeeeah I already enjoying the use of bombs and such lol.

Up to the last batch of Knight stages now and while enjoyable most of the time this mode feels so uneven.
Firstly though it's great that we've got (free) DLC that plays noticeably different from Shovel Knight himself and I appreciate the extra content, especially Plague Knight getting his own areas in stages and changing the challenge areas to reflect his abilities.
I do quite like the burst jumping mechanic as it can feel almost DKCR jump roll like with the burst of momentum and shortcut taking.

It's just that due to the nature of the various changes it all never feels quite right, the difficulty swinging wildly between being able to easily skip over entire areas to previously simple tasks and enemies being made extra fiddly.
Effectively despite their best efforts Plague Knight just can't slot into everything that made playing as Shovel Knight a more enjoyable experience.
And I've got to admit, I really dislike menu diving in games like this due to how it breaks the flow and Plague Knight's changes bring tons of it, having so many options can be like a double edged sword in that respect.

But once again I do appreciate that it's something pretty unique, I just think it's not really possible for them to have truly taken advantage of the changes Plague Knight brings in the existing game template, (but no I didn't expect them to overhaul the ENTIRE game, that'd be ridiculous, in fact I'm still surprised and approve of how much things have been changed in places).

88Titan88

I've done a few playthroughs:

- regular game with 100%
- NG+ without using tonics (didn't trigger the tonic achievement, apparently it has to be from a fresh save)
- regular game with only standard bomb setup and no tonics or arcana (timer ended with 1:40:xx)

Once you get the hang of it you can just fly through the stages, specially with the screw attack burst.

duckroll

Any good tips for the time limit run on Hall of Champions on revisits? I'm missing -one- Cipher Coin in there, I know exactly where it is, but I can't get it and retain it because I can't clear it fast enough. >_<

I just started playing and I'm really enjoying it so far. The platforming is really strange but has a good feeling to it once you get the hang of it.

88Titan88

Any good tips for the time limit run on Hall of Champions on revisits? I'm missing -one- Cipher Coin in there, I know exactly where it is, but I can't get it and retain it because I can't clear it fast enough. >_<
You have to beat the time limit to get the last music sheet anyway, so you might as well do it.
Use the screw attack burst to wreck them paintings and bounce black standard bombs to kill guards.

Use the Spin Burst. You'll be able to destroy all the portraits in each room extremely quickly. I finished the stage with a minute remaining using this method.

Cindro

Those .gifs in the OP... can you burst jump twice before touching the ground?? Is it a special thing you have to buy, or do I just really suck at this?

Those .gifs in the OP... can you burst jump twice before touching the ground?? Is it a special thing you have to buy, or do I just really suck at this?

You can burst twice. You just need to get used to re-holding the button as soon as you let go. Putting attack on both the default button plus a shoulder button helped me immensely.

Can't burst twice if you're float bursting though.

Just beat the DLC by the skin of my teeh. Man, the platforming certainly gets better as you go.

Is Kratos in the DLC? I swear I went to the same place to unlock him, but I couldn't break the wall. I'm on the Vita version, BTW.

MrHoot

Just beat the DLC by the skin of my teeh. Man, the platforming certainly gets better as you go.

Is Kratos in the DLC? I swear I went to the same place to unlock him, but I couldn't break the wall. I'm on the Vita version, BTW.

I tried but i don't think he's accessible with plague knight (originally you
go in the museum and break down a whole by pogoing with shovel knight. But attacking the same spot with plague does nothing.
I'm guessing the DLC is a size-fits-all for all platforms so I doubt there's gonna be kratos for him)

I tried but i don't think he's accessible with plague knight (originally you
go in the museum and break down a whole by pogoing with shovel knight. But attacking the same spot with plague does nothing.
I'm guessing the DLC is a size-fits-all for all platforms so I doubt there's gonna be kratos for him)

That's what I thought, but I saw Kratos mentioned during the credits so I wasn't sure.

Thud

Playing this between mario maker breaks, it's so good.

It complety changed the way I play the game,like a Shovel Knight 200cc.

Regiruler

Orbit casing and standard burst, since it has the largest AOE on activation.

jacobeid

Banned
Ha, I finally booted up the game to start playing through the DLC and I couldn't get past the profile select screen because of the dumb smirk on my face due to the music.

This is seriously one of my favorite games of all time.

The ice treasure level with all the moving platforms that can crush you is doing my head in. There's this wall of spikes at a certain point that just moves way faster than I can and I'm not sure how to get past it.

Edit: THE SMOKE BOMB ARCANA

Edit 2: nope

The ice treasure level with all the moving platforms that can crush you is doing my head in. There's this wall of spikes at a certain point that just moves way faster than I can and I'm not sure how to get past it.

Edit: THE SMOKE BOMB ARCANA

Edit 2: nope

You need the Fleet Flask item. Unfortunately, I can't recall which level it's located in. It's either Tinker Knight's stage Propeller Knight's area.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Not really enjoying it, sadly. The controls just feel weird and sloppy compared to the original, which isn't a good thing in a game that demands tight controls. Not really liking the boost jump mechanic either :/

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Not really enjoying it, sadly. The controls just feel weird and sloppy compared to the original, which isn't a good thing in a game that demands tight controls. Not really liking the boost jump mechanic either :/
Did you give it some time? The mobility of PK does feel weird at first but after a few levels I'm now able to pull off the jumps I want pretty consistently, especially with the help of some of the arcanas in case I mess up something.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Did you give it some time? The mobility of PK does feel weird at first but after a few levels I'm now able to pull off the jumps I want pretty consistently, especially with the help of some of the arcanas in case I mess up something.

I've played through the first two-three levels, and I'm currently at Plague Knight's level. Took me probably close to an hour just to get through the intro levels due to how weird and sloppy/slippery the new controls and boost jump felt compared to the original.

duckroll

Finished the campaign, got all the Cipher Coins and music sheets. Pretty surprised that there was a brand new final boss too. The ending was fantastic and the end card sprite animation was <3 <3 <3 <3 <3. Great free add-on, looking forward to more!

What are people's favorite arcana?

I loved the beaker platform. Saved my ass so many times, and super useful all around

The propeller knight level arcana was also super useful against the final boss, since it does a lot of quick strikes in rapid succession, allowing a ton of damage very quickly

88Titan88

You need the Fleet Flask item. Unfortunately, I can't recall which level it's located in. It's either Tinker Knight's stage Propeller Knight's area.
You don't actually need it. If you burst jump to the right in the beginning (hitting your head on the ceiling) you get enough speed to walk under the spikes. It's a tight fit though.

What are people's favorite arcana?

I loved the beaker platform. Saved my ass so many times, and super useful all around

The propeller knight level arcana was also super useful against the final boss, since it does a lot of quick strikes in rapid succession, allowing a ton of damage very quickly
The Vat is indeed super useful as a last resort when you're falling to your death. The Leech Liquid is also a godsend in New Game+.

Completed the campaign and didn't like it at all.

It never felt really comfortable playing as Plague Knight. When you jump and burst, you move way too fast.
I also feel that many sections of stages weren't made for Plague. I died many times and it really didn't feel fair.

The selection menu is awful too. They clearly wanted us to change weaponry now and then, but navigating takes way too long.

I'm disappointed. I love Shovel Knight and this felt like a waste of time.
Hope they really move on for a sequel or new project.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I feel Plague Knight is at least as fun as Butt Butt, incredibly refreshing and I can't wait for the rest. Bomb settings is pretty straight forward on the 3DS as well

hiryu64

NOW I AM BECOME PLAGUE KNIGHT, DESTROYER OF LEVEL DESIGN
3ufpQFZ.jpg
This is pretty much my game of the generation so far.

Cindro

After spending more time with it, and reading the instruction manual plus the two YCG blog posts on Plague Knight's movement - (which are absolutely required reading for anybody struggling with controls... find the link to one in the OP, which then links to the other two) - I'm absolutely adoring this. It's brilliant, charming, and everything DLC should be EXCEPT free. This is the type of DLC that is well worth the price of admission. Yacht Club Games is just too damn beautiful for this industry <3

Regiruler

A cloak that causes your bomb and arcana setup to randomize every few seconds, along with totally unique palette swaps for PK. I had no idea what I was doing on the final boss but man it was fun.
It also ups the bomb limit for all bombs in the rotation to 3, even if they're normally a 1 or 2 max. Howevee, I haven't seen tracer at all so I'm assuming there's a technical issue that they kept it out of rotation for.
Completed the campaign and didn't like it at all.

It never felt really comfortable playing as Plague Knight. When you jump and burst, you move way too fast.
I also feel that many sections of stages weren't made for Plague. I died many times and it really didn't feel fair.

The selection menu is awful too. They clearly wanted us to change weaponry now and then, but navigating takes way too long.

I'm disappointed. I love Shovel Knight and this felt like a waste of time.
Hope they really move on for a sequel or new project.
2 more campaigns were promised. There's still a year left, at least.

Pila

Ok shame on me for not looking harder but how do you update the Wii U vers. to play the Plague Knight DLC?

The Wii U can receive updates automatically, if you didn't set it up for that you can access "download management" on the home menu (press the Home button on the gamepad) and download updates. When you launch SK, start a new game in order to play the PoS campaign.

Barely started this bad boy (not a lot of spare time lately...) but I loved what I saw. YCG ftw.

poodaddy

Just beat this tonight, and that ending gave me all the warm and fuzzies. I got to hug my daughter and watch
Plague Knight and Mona dance together
, and it was a super awesome moment. We were both smiling ear to ear that whole ending. The amount of love in this content, .....I literally feel bad getting it for free. I purchased it on four platforms just to support these guys. Thanks Yacht Club :)

hiryu64

I'm not a speedrunner, but damned if I don't love playing as this guy. I think I might actually be better as Plague Knight than Shovel Knight!

Results of my first one-sitting Low% run:
Propeller Knight continues to be a problem. All deaths except for those were stage deaths where I lost control. I can't wait for the actual speedrunners to start doing insane things with this expansion.

Top Bottom