• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight: Plague Of Shadows |OT| Saving You From The Plague of Paid DLC

tumm

Neo Member
The problem I have with the float burst is not being able to do a second burst after it, which is understandable but made it less appealing for me. At first it was pretty good because I hadn't got the hang of Plague Knight's movement but eventually I saw it more as a detriment.

Propeller Knight was the first boss to give me a bit of trouble, and pretty much solely because he could deflect bombs (and his hitbox for that was a bit iffy--stood behind him throwing bombs and they were bouncing off his back on one try) and the knock back happened to be the perfect length to get hit into the holes made by the cannons mid-way through the battle so getting hit a single time tended to be a death wish.
I succeeded, however, once I configured the bombs to explode at a short range and use an explosion which went through blocks as to hit all of his hitbox area. It's nice you can take different approaches to the bosses/levels through the use of different item combinations, while still being in the same ballpark.

Anyone else feeling like there's sometimes a bit of input lag or your double jump isn't resetting for some reason? More than once I've been above a pit or spikes but my double jump didn't activate in time despite there being more than enough time to save myself. There was one part on Polar Knight's map where I was jumping to a falling platform, and then jumped off again and needed to double jump but it just wouldn't work and it took me a good 5 odd tries (luckily right next to a respawn).

Really good DLC, didn't think a new character with new moves would make the game this fun to replay but it's blown my expectations out of the water so far. Here's hoping the next few character DLCs will be this enthralling!

Edit: Looking at the stretch goals again, they have a similar description for the 'Gender Swap Mode' as they do for the 'Playable Boss Knight', anyone reckon they'll give Shield Knight (assuming the gender swap will be Shield Knight) unique game play similar to the Boss Knights or just story/sprite changes?

Capra

Hmmm, I'm going through older stages to try and collect all the Cipher Coins. Just went through all of King Knight's stage again and I'm still short of one. Any idea where that elusive one could be? I got all the obvious ones, including the ones in any secret area I could find. I also got the one that's directly to the left of where you start. There was one secret area which didn't have a coin though - the one where you have to the top right area after the bunch of floating rats. Is there something hidden there?

Try going to the part with the ladder right above a coin and breaking every sand block in that optional segment. I was missing a couple that turned out to be hidden behind those blocks.

AHA-Lambda

Do you get anything for doing the challenge mode?

Just finished with 100% cipher coins.

Holy fuck, that was amazing. It's got its own problems from being a bonus mode with bosses lifted from the vanilla game, but on the whole YC managed to give us a campaign at least as good as the original with its own identity. I can't wait to see what they pull off for King Knight and Spectre Knight's campaigns.

Also the final reward for collecting every cipher coin may not be functionally the most useful thing ever, but man is it hilarious. Fantastic piece of DLC all around.

What is it?

RoeBear

Hmmm, I'm going through older stages to try and collect all the Cipher Coins. Just went through all of King Knight's stage again and I'm still short of one. Any idea where that elusive one could be? I got all the obvious ones, including the ones in any secret area I could find. I also got the one that's directly to the left of where you start. There was one secret area which didn't have a coin though - the one where you have to the top right area after the bunch of floating rats. Is there something hidden there?

Most likely you're missing the single coin when you go to the left at the start of the stage.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Lol both you guys nailed it, that being said I've never tried the Wii U pro controller on PC. Is it a simple process or are there hoops to jump? If it's plug and play I'm more than happy to eat my hat.

There's a free method or you can go with an adapter.

The free method is pretty easy to set up now, iirc, so you may as well give it a shot first.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Do you get anything for doing the challenge mode?

Just satisfaction.

WVW69iZy9nkf2JMbz-

I'd give the Challenge Mode a 4/5. It the stage challenges were excellent! The most challenging was the cog gear level from Tinker Knight. The other stages challenges were easy, but still very fun. I wish they had included a time leader board or something to give you reason to go back and do them better.
The boss rush stages were meh. They at least show you a few tricks for beating a few of the bosses with relics, if you didn't already know. If nothing else, it serves as a nice "practice mode" for the bosses.

I'd be more than willing to pay a high price ($20) for more challenge mode stages! I LOVED them, I doubt there'll be any more, but I'd pay the hell outta that DLC.

Okay, now time to play the actual Plague Knight game!

pariah164

Been under a rock (AKA playing Project Mirai all day erry day), so I missed this. Downloading it now, looks like a lot of fun. A whole new campaign as free DLC? Yacht Club Games is the real MVP.

Mostly the same level design, but with a completely different character who plays very differently

Wait, really?

Huge disappointment, I was waiting for this to release because I was looking forward to having new levels to play. I know the character plays differently but... awwww. :(

Are there any other expansions coming that DO have new levels?

AwShucks

Wait, really?

Huge disappointment, I was waiting for this to release because I was looking forward to having new levels to play. I know the character plays differently but... awwww. :(

They mostly feel like new levels because the way you play is completely different

Why would you expect new levels? They already rewrote the whole game, added a boss, a new hub, and a bunch of collectibles on top of designing a character whose abilities and items all work so well within the existing levels that he almost could have been the original main character. There's also one new section per level where you acquire each of Plague Knight's abilities.

Why would you expect new levels? They already rewrote the whole game, added a boss, a new hub, and a bunch of collectibles on top of designing a character whose abilities and items all work so well within the existing levels that he almost could have been the original main character. There's also one new section per level where you acquire each of Plague Knight's abilities.

plus it's completely free anyways

Peff

Wait, really?

It's the same levels, but Plague Knight is quite a bit different from your average skin for the main character. You get a different basic gameplay mechanic, new but equally fleshed out upgrades and a handful of new rooms here and there, but it feels unique enough to make it a worthy addition to the game. Not to mention Challenge Mode, which take the original assets to create short-but-cool gimmick-focused levels.

The other characters should offer fairly similar packages, so no full new levels.

AwShucks

Just beat it and did a few challenge levels. Some of the bosses are great with Plague Knight. I love the cluster bomb. Enjoyed the story. Considering this was free it's amazing.

Lol both you guys nailed it, that being said I've never tried the Wii U pro controller on PC. Is it a simple process or are there hoops to jump? If it's plug and play I'm more than happy to eat my hat.
Late response, but I believe it's one of those "hard initial setup, then just boot a program every time you use it" things. Kinda like how DS4 was on PC originally.

Fishlake

Beat Black Knight 3 and other than Propeller Knight I have been flying quickly through the levels. Propeller Knight blocks everything and that is really annoying. I went vat, float and bounce on him by staying off the screen as much as possible during his 2 and 3rd phase. Black knight 3 continues to remain one of my favorite bosses in gaming. Now to work up the courage to take on the boss rush.

AwShucks

Beat Black Knight 3 and other than Propeller Knight I have been flying quickly through the levels. Propeller Knight blocks everything and that is really annoying. I went vat, float and bounce on him by staying off the screen as much as possible during his 2 and 3rd phase. Black knight 3 continues to remain one of my favorite bosses in gaming. Now to work up the courage to take on the boss rush.

Boss rush was easier than the actual bosses for sure. Didn't die once in the story boss rush.

Fishlake

Finished it. The boss rush was easy. I really enjoyed this, it felt like a whole new game. I think I will pick up some physical copies as presents for others.

Boogiepop

Missing three coins in the Lich Yard and three in the Tower of Fate (Entrance) (haven't dug back through that one yet, though). Any ideas of where to look?

Edit: Found the Lich Yard ones. I somehow managed to not finish one path. Weird.

Edit: ...It was another
go left at the start
thing. Darn it. Also, wish you could exit out of a level and keep these things once you beat it, instead of having to go all the way through again. Oh well.

Layell

This is probably one of the best alternate characters in a platforming game, generally when I think of alts I think of Luigi, Knuckles, heck even Bass.

But none of them even come close to how much Plague Knight is a totally different experience. Having the same levels hardly matters because he interacts with everything differently. It truly feels like you are playing as a boss character with the crazy stuff you are capable of doing. Almost every upgrade mechanic is different (health, outfits, relics) and your main mode of attacks. They could have just made it some mode where you go through shooting bombs and collecting the same relics, but they went all out on this one.

It's fantastic and I cannot wait to see more.

Yeah, it's amazing how differently Plague Knight plays. Go back and play as Shovel Knight after going through Plague of Shadows and you'll likely be surprised at just how different everything feels. It's pretty incredible.

Regiruler

Propeller Knight is really hard as Plague Knight. Feels like you need to be much more patient than Shovel Knight.

What? He's a cakewalk.

Bounce (or alternatively, drop) casing, tracer, and sentry fuse when he's on the ground. Float casing and long fuse when he's diving around (so you can match his arc with your bomb even when jumping over him), with your choice of powder. If you feel like being extra mean, use the frost burst.

sheaaaa

I'm not feeling Plague Knight at all. Having to hold down Y to burst throws the rhythm all off for me. Quit the Lich Yard in frustration after the first Plague Knight-exclusive area, not sure if I'll bother booting this up again. Shame.

CDX

I'm not feeling Plague Knight at all. Having to hold down Y to burst throws the rhythm all off for me. Quit the Lich Yard in frustration after the first Plague Knight-exclusive area, not sure if I'll bother booting this up again. Shame.

I sort of agree with you, so I re-arranged my controls a bit.

I put attack on BOTH the same face button I had it on for Shovel Knight, but also on a shoulder button too. You can do that in the game's settings. To map the same function to 2 buttons, in the control settings just hit both buttons at the same time.

So now I still have the same button I'm used to for attacking, plus a shoulder button I can hold for charging and bursting. I like it better that way.

So don't give up yet, change the controls around until you find something you like. When you get into it it's a really fun expansion.

I put attack on BOTH the same face button I had it on for Shovel Knight, but also on a shoulder button too. You can do that in the game's settings. To map the same function to 2 buttons, in the control settings just hit both buttons at the same time.

So now I still have the same button I'm used to for attacking, plus a shoulder button I can hold for charging and bursting. I like it better that way.

So don't give up yet, change the controls around until you find something you like. When you get into it it's a really fun expansion.

I haven't had issues so far but still, your shoulder button idea is great. Dunno why I didn't think of it, since I basically did the same thing in DMC4, where I was constantly charging a shot with the shoulder button. This feels much better.

duckroll

Try going to the part with the ladder right above a coin and breaking every sand block in that optional segment. I was missing a couple that turned out to be hidden behind those blocks.

Thanks, that was exactly it. One of the sand blocks on the second screen above that area, in the middle over the chasm.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
What? He's a cakewalk.

Bounce (or alternatively, drop) casing, tracer, and sentry fuse when he's on the ground. Float casing and long fuse when he's diving around (so you can match his arc with your bomb even when jumping over him), with your choice of powder. If you feel like being extra mean, use the frost burst.

Having to switch your setup around like that is why he's so difficult, though. I really didn't think about it when I started fighting him and died probably 15 times, then switched to sentry fuse and took him down easily.

I can't really think of any other boss that is so much more dramatically difficult if you're using the "wrong" setup.

poodaddy

So far Plague of Shadows is reminding me of Viles path from Maverick Hunter X, though this is designed much better.

sheaaaa

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to give that a shot. Yeah I can tell a lot of effort's been put in and the alternative stuff, like how the first town's different, is really cool. I really hope it clicks this time.

If there's anyone having trouble with the "Defend the Lab!" cheesemint, all you really need to do is use the Lob/Cluster/Standard bomb mix. SK is oddly not very aggressive in the fight, so he'll usually stand just far enough so the explosion hits twice. Plus the explosion is just high enough off the ground to not hit any of the blocks.

Thoraxes

Wow, the 3D for the Plague Knight intro cutscene looks amazing on the 3DS. So clean.

Also holy crap is he super fun to play. I love the way they handled him and his movement.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Finished the game last night. Amazing stuff. I tried doing the Shovel Knight challenges immediately afterwards, but I started finding his lack of mobility compared to Plague Knight cumbersome.

9 out of 10, would main in Smash

Vertti

Almost as good as the main game. Felt different enough to be enjoyable.

I'm just afraid that King Knight and Specter Knight campaings are too much. I'd rather see them make a completely new game.

Unit24

Is there a way to quickly change your equipment? I'm getting really tired of having to constantly pause the game to switch out my stuff for almost every encounter. Using the touch screen isn't an option because that would require me to look away from what I'm doing.

Also, I haven't been this pissed at a game in a while. The platforming feels way worse, since you're either not jumping high enough or going so high and far that you can't even control yourself and you land on some kind of instant death hazard.

poodaddy

Is there a way to quickly change your equipment? I'm getting really tired of having to constantly pause the game to switch out my stuff for almost every encounter. Using the touch screen isn't an option because that would require me to look away from what I'm doing.

Also, I haven't been this pissed at a game in a while. The platforming feels way worse, since you're either not jumping high enough or going so high and far that you can't even control yourself and you land on some kind of instant death hazard.

Left and right bumpers quick change arcana, but I don't believe there is a quick change for Plague's equipment. It is kind of unfortunate, I agree. I disagree on the platforming though, this is probably the most well designed expansion to anything I've ever played. This is the kind of thing I always wanted for the X series, (always wanted to play as Vile), but when I finally got it I felt a bit underwhelmed by the execution. Plague of Shadows, however, nails it spot on I think. It legitimately feels like I'm playing an entirely different game requiring entirely different platforming and combat strategies. Shovel Knight's platforming is much more premeditated, where I feel that Plague Knight's platforming is much more reflexive. Neither are superior, they're simply very different and Plague takes some major getting used to IMO.

You shouldn't need to be switching your equipment that often. Play around with different combinations until you find something you like. You'll still have to change things up every now and then but certainly not for every encounter.

And the platforming is great, it just takes some getting used to, due to how unique it feels compared to most games. Once you get a feel for it, controlling Plague Knight is incredibly rewarding.

After you beat the first two knights, you should be able to get the float jump. It'll make platforming easier.

You shouldn't need to be switching your equipment that often. Play around with different combinations until you find something you like. You'll still have to change things up every now and then but certainly not for every encounter.

Yeah, definitely this. You really don't need to switch equipment around if you don't want to.

Aeana

And the platforming is great, it just takes some getting used to, due to how unique it feels compared to most games. Once you get a feel for it, controlling Plague Knight is incredibly rewarding.

I change my bomb settings constantly, and I don't think I'm doing it wrong, either. Depending on how enemies are oriented in comparison to you, you're doing yourself a disservice trying to beat them with the wrong setup. I watched a stream where someone was trying to beat an enemy even with them on the screen, and a tiny bit lower vertically without switching away from the lob casing. Why! Just change it. The game doesn't have the vast options it does for you to turn around and square peg every encounter with the same setup.

I change my bomb settings constantly, and I don't think I'm doing it wrong, either. Depending on how enemies are oriented in comparison to you, you're doing yourself a disservice trying to beat them with the wrong setup. I watched a stream where someone was trying to beat an enemy even with them on the screen, and a tiny bit lower vertically without switching away from the lob casing. Why! Just change it. The game doesn't have the vast options it does for you to turn around and square peg every encounter with the same setup.

Sure, if you enjoy switching set-ups and always get the best possible outcome then by all means, you're not doing it wrong or anything like that, but it's also not required by any means. I very rarely switch set-up in the middle of a level. The relic/potion that you get in King Knights level is so strong anyway that you can defeat any enemy set-up with it, and magic auto-regenerates so it's usually no biggie.

Top Bottom