• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 |OT| Procedural Chaos

Mossybrew

Is it just me or is driving in JC3 nowhere near as fun as it was in 2? Maybe it's the handling of the airborne physics, but everything just feels stiff and unnatural. I spent so much time driving in 2, taking ramos and jumping cars off cliffs but not in this one

I feel the same but I can't really pinpoint why exactly.

vypek

Good game, but first game in a while i regret paying full price for

Same here. This and Destiny are two games that I definitely didn't get enough enjoyment from to pay full price. I sort of want to play it more but really not feeling the challenges at all and I don't want to grind for upgrades.

Vlad

Same here. This and Destiny are two games that I definitely didn't get enough enjoyment from to pay full price. I sort of want to play it more but really not feeling the challenges at all and I don't want to grind for upgrades.

It's a shame, too, since the good stuff is REALLY good. The wingsuit is awesome, the weapons feel great, and the explosions are the best I've ever seen. It's just too bad that that's all there is.

Good game, but first game in a while i regret paying full price for

I'm patiently waiting. Once this game drops to $39 or lower on Amazon I'll jump all over it like white on rice.

I've seen plenty of gameplay vids and as someone who owned and put hours into JC2, I'm jazzed to play this. Not at full price tho.

shermas

in regards to difficulty, I've mostly only died due to my own negligence, like missing a grapple to escape, wing suiting into the ground or blowing myself up. The few times I died during a conflict it was usually the big guns - tanks or artillery. It's so easy to break line of sight with the grapple.

Haven't hit the big island but I am worried a bit. I found near endless fun in JC2 sandbox, so I'm hoping that I'll be able to make my own fun there.

Some of the military bases later on get pretty hairy. The boats, especially, seem to wreck me (or blow something up near me) on a semi-regular basis.

The explosions and destruction are SO great and so much fun, but this game gets super, super repetitive. Having to find/summon a plane or helicopter or whatever to fly to some oil rig out in the middle of nowhere isn't really fun.

I've been OCD'ing and getting all the collectibles and clearing out every settlement, but I might just start racing through the story.

ArjanN

I feel the same but I can't really pinpoint why exactly.

I don't really like the driving in this but I didn't care much for it in JC2 either. I basically only drive 100 feet to bail to ram my car into something or jump off a cliff.

To be fair, the game is like Saints Row in that there's zero practical reason to be in a car anyway,.since it's faster to just use the grapple/wingsuit to fly,

Blizzje

The community management for this game has to be one of the poorest I've seen yet. We get one message at the start of January about a patch that's probably going to be released this month. After that, a random patch with japanese audio gets released and the patch notes are published a day after the patch goes live. Still no word about if they are still working on a patch, what their expected delivery date is.

On the official twitter account, someone asks if they are working on optimisations for the ps4 frame rate. 'No', the account replies.

So what are they doing with their time? No transparancy for customers and very very little information about a solution.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Finished this about two weeks ago. Sure, it gets repetitive towards the end just like JC2 did, and good lord did I hate taking out those surveillance systems in the villages, but I still had a blast with the game. Can't wait for those expansion packs.

eshwaaz

The community management for this game has to be one of the poorest I've seen yet. We get one message at the start of January about a patch that's probably going to be released this month. After that, a random patch with japanese audio gets released and the patch notes are published a day after the patch goes live. Still no word about if they are still working on a patch, what their expected delivery date is.

On the official twitter account, someone asks if they are working on optimisations for the ps4 frame rate. 'No', the account replies.

So what are they doing with their time? No transparancy for customers and very very little information about a solution.
So they're not working to improve the framerate on PS4? I stopped playing shortly after reaching the biggest island because just gliding over bases and towns - no shooting or explosions - choked the framerate into the low teens. Just awful.

Oh?

Well then, that's what I get for buying digital and preordering one my most hyped games of last year. I adored JC2 this one just fell kinda flat on it's face. There are some cool additions but in the end when your game slideshows doing the very thing the game is meant to do, blowing things up, then yeah.....you failed to give people what they want.

If they even make another JC game I will be very cautious, and without a doubt not preorder it.

Blizzje

So they're not working to improve the framerate on PS4? I stopped playing shortly after reaching the biggest island because just gliding over bases and towns - no shooting or explosions - choked the framerate into the low teens. Just awful.

That's the thing: on one hand, they say they're working on optimisations (on the steam group pages) and on the other the twitter account says they are not working to boost the framerate on ps4. What are we supposed to believe? Why can't they at least be upfront about the roadmap to the next patch and what fixes it will include?

Nyx

Traded in Arkham Knight for this and after one evening I already had more fun than in 2 weeks of Arkham Knight.
Guess I like the freedom more, and the explosions! ;)

Anyway the comments about framedrops and loading times were not exaggerated, really can’t understand how Avalanche has not said anything about it yet. (PS4 version)
Hope something is done about it, but on the other hand it did not influence the fun I had playing the game a lot.

Oh and markers for all the stuff that needs to be destroyed in towns would have been nice, spend half an hour looking for a billboard…

Traded in Arkham Knight for this and after one evening I already had more fun than in 2 weeks of Arkham Knight.
Guess I like the freedom more, and the explosions! ;)

Anyway the comments about framedrops and loading times were not exaggerated, really can’t understand how Avalanche has not said anything about it yet. (PS4 version)
Hope something is done about it, but on the other hand it did not influence the fun I had playing the game a lot.

Oh and markers for all the stuff that needs to be destroyed in towns would have been nice, spend half an hour looking for a billboard…

Check the map in the pause menu. As you blow up the first few things in a town/province you'll start seeing the remaining targets appear on the map. So if you just have a single billboard left, it'll definitely show up on the map.

Alienous

Oh really. Well it's a shame I got it, but at least I got it pre-owned. I've been waiting for a performance patch to play it but I guess I might as well trade it in for what it's worth.

Welp, Avalanche is on my shit list.

Nyx

Check the map in the pause menu. As you blow up the first few things in a town/province you'll start seeing the remaining targets appear on the map. So if you just have a single billboard left, it'll definitely show up on the map.

Really? I could not find any marker on the map but I guess I overlooked it then.

Will have another look when I play again, thanks!

Really? I could not find any marker on the map but I guess I overlooked it then.

Will have another look when I play again, thanks!

I believe if you press... "H" or something it'll bring up a filter for different things you can toggle on/off. Maybe check that to see if you toggled it off some how.

IvanJ

Banned
Borrowed the game from a friend yesterday, returned it today after playing for about 2 hours.
I simply had no will to carry on further, it bored me to death.

It's probably me, 5 years ago I would have enjoyed some mindless destructive fun, like I die witb Saints Row 3 for example. And I thought that this will bring me some entertainment after the Witness' brainteasers.

But I cannot avoid the feeling that this is "Checklist - The Game". Go there, here's a list of stuff to destroy, good job, here's the next list, or just go play a minigame to win a medal and upgrade your crap so that you can check the next list more efficiently.

And I cannot find enjoyment in that. Not anymore.

Is there going to be a loading patch on ps4? I've held off playing this game because it took literally 3 min after the game boots up to even get into the game. And I don't stay with one game I switch between 2-3 games a day so I couldn't just put it in standby either.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
I believe if you press... "H" or something it'll bring up a filter for different things you can toggle on/off. Maybe check that to see if you toggled it off some how.

There's no "H" button on the controller, but he should still be able to filter on the map. By that point, if there's only a billboard or two, that shouldn't be necessary since the targets are pretty obvious on the map.

Is the performance on PS4 improved at all? It's on sale this week and I was thinking of grabbing it, just curious if anything has been patched to improve the issue.

eshwaaz

Is the performance on PS4 improved at all? It's on sale this week and I was thinking of grabbing it, just curious if anything has been patched to improve the issue.
No, and no recent updates from the devs, either. I stopped playing the game when I got to the largest island, where the framerate problems go from bad to ridiculous. Just gliding over a town with no shooting or explosions drops the framerate into the low teens. I was hoping for a patch so I could continue, but at this point it's likely I'll never finish.

TVexperto

No, and no recent updates from the devs, either. I stopped playing the game when I got to the largest island, where the framerate problems go from bad to ridiculous. Just gliding over a town with no shooting or explosions drops the framerate into the low teens. . I was hoping for a patch so I could continue, but at this point it's likely I'll never finish.

Wow that sucks :-( I was thinking about buying it as well now since its been over 2 months since release and I was waiting for them to fix the fps drops but I guess I wont be buying it after all now.

SJRB

Gold Member
Wow that sucks :-( I was thinking about buying it as well now since its been over 2 months since release and I was waiting for them to fix the fps drops but I guess I wont be buying it after all now.

I wouldn't expect anything, really. It seems this game is dead in the water.

kevin1025

Banned

I'm in the same boat, except I actually bought it, haha. Been waiting since around Christmas to play it but I'm hoping for a patch that will fix the issues before I finally jump into it.

vypek

Based on some stuff on other forums it really seems like the devs are more focused on the DLC than the base game at the moment. I wouldn't expect a patch for a while. Best case scenario is that there is one at the same time as the DLC releasing...which they do not seem to be speaking up on all that much.

Just finished the story last night; while I felt that there were some improvements to the gameplay from 2, it was less fun; they missed the forest for the trees. The missions were less fun and not at all memorable and simply being in the world is less fun. I would launch JC2, get on a bike and drive around Panau and see what happened— I probably won't launch JC3 again unless the story DLC looks compelling.

vypek

So it look like the DLC will be out in March.
Sky Fortress will be available in March for $11.99/€11.99/£9.49 on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC.
Here is a trailer for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sEUrJSWOQg

Pack 1: Sky Fortress – March 2016
Pack 2: Mech Land Assault – TBC 2016
Pack 3: Bavarium Sea Heist – TBC 2016

The Air, Land & Sea Expansion Pass is available now on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC for $24.99/€24.99/£19.99.

I've actually already decided not to get it though. Think I'm going to just sell/trade in my copy.

Kas

Yeah, I think I may be done with it. I'd play so much in 2, just flying around, driving around, and doing whatever. I think removing all the caches was a horrible idea. It gave a good reason to explore naturally, as everything was tied to them. Plus, all the small villages could just have like 1 or 3 of them and a propoganda speaker and that's it. Now, nothing like that. The world is just not alive.

If 4 ever comes out, I may get that.

Pif

Banned
I recently bought Arkham Knight and now I appreciate more the wingsuit/hook controls in JC3. Batman is just cumbersome and unintuitive in comparison.

Looking forward to the DlC.

Maybe this is a good place to ask this question. If I want to uninstall JC3 from my PC/Steam, will I lose the saved data? I'm not sure where the save data files are kept and I'm pretty sure JC3 isn't Steam Cloud-enabled, so I want to make sure I backup the files before I uninstall. Any advice is appreciated.

ArjanN

Maybe this is a good place to ask this question. If I want to uninstall JC3 from my PC/Steam, will I lose the saved data? I'm not sure where the save data files are kept and I'm pretty sure JC3 isn't Steam Cloud-enabled, so I want to make sure I backup the files before I uninstall. Any advice is appreciated.

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Just_Cause_3

Looks like there's no cloud saving, link above has the save file location.

There's also a thread on the offcial Steam community forum. Just search for 'cloud saves'.

I'm about to rent the game for a week for 9€ on PS4. They supposedly still haven't fixed the performance though, so I'm not sure if that's a good idea...

N° 2048

I'm about to rent the game for a week for 9€ on PS4. They supposedly still haven't fixed the performance though, so I'm not sure if that's a good idea...

Heard they didn't, traded in my sealed copy yesterday.

Screw developers that work on DLC while ignoring massive performance issues on the base game.

eshwaaz

I think it's worth a rent. There's still fun to be had - wing suit is amazing once it clicks, grapple is still fun, and the explosions look great.

Performance issues are definitely there in the early areas, but I didn't find them game-ruining until the largest island.

Top Bottom