• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 |OT| Procedural Chaos

ArjanN

How do you do that again?
When I jump on a mech to enter it it just pushes me away.

You need that energy gun to stun mechs with pilots in them to take them over, so if you don't have that find an empty parked mech. I think most of the bases on the new island have a couple of empty ones.

You also get the ability to call in a mech but I'm guessing you haven't unlocked that yet.

Wil348

The PS4 version just got an update. Change log seems to be bug fixes and improvements. Not sure if they've improved performance so far.

Steam - Patch 1.05 incoming

Hello everyone, you’ll notice patch 1.05 for just Cause 3 dropping shortly on PC, Xbox One and PS4. The patch contains the following:

Preparation for new content
Added support for Bavarium Sea Heist DLC (pack)

General

Alterations to thread scheduling.
Optimized code for how the UI finds and displays which chaos objects are left to be destroyed in settlements.

PC-specific

Dynamic Frame buffer scaling implemented for users with Intel GPU’s.
Various bug fixes to prevent flickering on particular elements of the game world.

We will update you on date for Bavarium Sea Heist shortly, thanks for your patience.

The alterations to thread scheduling looks interesting, I might run a few benchmarks on PC if I can before the patch drops.

How's the DLC? Is it worthwhile at all?

It's been tempting me, because I don't like missing out on story content. However, the lack of buzz makes me think it's likely something I can pass on. I still haven't finished the main game, because it was kind of bland, but I do plan to.

SomTervo

You need that energy gun to stun mechs with pilots in them to take them over, so if you don't have that find an empty parked mech. I think most of the bases on the new island have a couple of empty ones.

You also get the ability to call in a mech but I'm guessing you haven't unlocked that yet.

There are mechs in the game??? Need to get home and play more now...

Aha. Dlc

It's been tempting me, because I don't like missing out on story content. However, the lack of buzz makes me think it's likely something I can pass on. I still haven't finished the main game, because it was kind of bland, but I do plan to.

The Sky Fortress DLC is really awesome, the new wingsuit adds a totally new way to experience Just Cause 3 and it's incredibly fun to use.

The DLC has a couple of story missions and challenges which I found to be quite enjoyable, it took me around 4-6 hours to complete all of them, i was mostly playing around so it took longer for me.

The Mech Land Assault DLC adds a new island which brings with it new story missions and challenges. There is also a Mech with two variants featuring different weapons.

I think there might be some more content but I'm not too sure as I haven't completed the DLC yet.

Sky Fortress, you're essentially buying the jetpack and getting a few missions for free. Not very engrossing, and the jetpack is underwhelming even fully upgraded because of how quickly you have to recharge.

Mech Assault is a little better because it adds a new island to the mix with bases to conquer, but nowhere near the scale of the bases from the vanilla islands. The mech itself is cool and you get a new type of activity to do with it called Mech Arena, but there are only like two instances of it. There are also only two missions: the introduction mission and the ending mission available only after you completely take over the island. It's also infuriating because enemies attack you on sight, and there were a few instances where I would load into the game and immediately get killed by several jeeps of soldiers, some drones, and a mech because they all patrol at 0 stars.

Overall I regret buying the deluxe edition at launch, unless the sea DLC blows my socks off. Definitely more of a Steam sale buy than anything else.

vypek

If they tried to patch performance I will be pleasantly surprised and will consider testing it sometime in the future when I'm not actively playing other stuff. Still pissed about certain things in the game being locked away but I guess that they will never change that.

Purkake4

Banned
Tried it again and it plays worse if anything on PC, still chugging with occasional lockups.

Keep pumping out that DLC, Avalanche.

vypek

Tried it again and it plays worse if anything on PC, still chugging with occasional lockups.

Keep pumping out that DLC, Avalanche.

That is a shame. I'm honestly kind of surprised that it is doing worse on PC. Thought for sure that version would be in the clear.

kevin1025

Banned
Have any console gamers tried the game on the latest patch? How is it?

I just played the game for the first time on PS4, played for a little over an hour, performance has not been fixed. It seems to be at random, too, since I would do some crazy stuff and it's totally fine, but then in a town with a couple of cars and shooting at enemies it slows down. For me personally it's not game breaking, since it's more like the game goes into slo-mo rather than chops, but it can be pretty rough.

Loading times are a lot better than the videos around the time the game launched, though, which is nice.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I've never had a problem with the PC version myself, solid 60 for the most part, some drops here and there but nothing substantial.

Yeah, the PC version runs fine if you have:

- A modern Intel CPU, preferably one with HyperThreading
- At least 12GB RAM (8GB being the official recommend amount is patently ridiculous)
- At least 4GB VRAM, and to a lesser extent
- An SSD

It could probably scale better -- and definitely have better measures in place for those with 8GB RAM -- but it's not fundamentally flawed.

Chris R

I will say that going from my 670 to a 1080 made the game go from unplayable/crashing frequently to running at ~120fps with everything turned on. Still seems like the game could be optimized further but at least I can play it now.

Now that I am on a rig that can actually play the game, was there ever anything to get rid of the terrible title screen? And should I still play in "Offline" mode 100% of the time?

aravuus

Felt like playing an action game so I just bought this, what a coincidence to find see the OT on front page. Played for an hour and it seems like a lot of fun. Not sure I like the idea of doing probably annoying challenges for upgrades but whatever, I'm on PC - gonna mercilessly cheat if it comes to that.

Also, I have 8 gigs of RAM and the game seems to run just fine. i5-3570k/GTX970, almost all settings maxed (no AA). Don't think I noticed any framerate drops either.

Rogan

Banned
I feel like its improved on the ps4. The dips I had made the game unplayable, but now I'm going for the platinum because it feels better.

Bought the season pass too, the jetpack wingsuit is awesome!

Dominator

Game was on sale on XB1 so I bought it digitally. Only played for about 2 hours on PS4 before I sold it, but I've been itching for that wingsuit lol

MMaRsu

Banned
That's a bit drastic.

Game is ridiculous fun even with the drops.

Haha fu k that this game is a slideshow and a waste of your money

I dont know why anyone would reccomend this to any console player, the company absolutaly doesnt deserve your hard earned cash.

kevin1025

Banned
So is it fixed on PS4 yet?

Last I played of it back in September, nope. Framerate tanks when there's bigger explosions... which is most of this game. But for me it was still playable since the framerate was more of a slowing down than a full on chugging or frame jumping deal.

It all depends on how okay you are with framerate problems!

Last I played of it back in September, nope. Framerate tanks when there's bigger explosions... which is most of this game. But for me it was still playable since the framerate was more of a slowing down than a full on chugging or frame jumping deal.

Usually pretty okay with 25+ but I remember JC3 getting so low sometimes that It crashed.

So I'm reinstalling it on the Pro, to bad it won't take advantage of it in anyway.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual

It's by no means a 'slideshow' like others are claiming here - been watching my partner play through it and it doesn't seem that bad at all outside of some jerkiness in big explosive chains.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
It's by no means a 'slideshow' like others are claiming here - been watching my partner play through it and it doesn't seem that bad at all outside of some jerkiness in big explosive chains.
But the whole point of JC3 is big explosions. You should always be sploding things.

kevin1025

Banned

Yep, that sounds right. I didn't mind it very much, but it's definitely something I can see others having trouble with. But if you go in expecting that, you're still getting a really fun game!

So this was one of my Steam sale grabs, I had been waiting and waiting...$15 seemed like the sweet spot. What a fun friggin game! A worthy successor to the franchise- it's 2, but prettier and more blowy-uppy! Haven't had this much fun blowing shit up in a while.

It is unfortunate to hear all of the technical issues folks are having; glad to say that it has been mostly hitch-free for me, outside of some larger explosions (the centcom base with the constant barrage of Bavarium nuke launchers definitely gave me lil' slideshows here and there)...otherwise, it's been smooth sailing. Playing @ 1080p with everything but AA maxed. My rig is an FX6300, 8 GB ram, gtx 960 4 GB. I get a 'low memory' popup every time I launch, but as mentioned, it's been buttery smooth for the most part.

How is the DLC? I bought base game because I wasn't sure I'd enjoy, but now I want that mech DLC...looks rad.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Gah...finally bought it, been avoiding it like the plague on the PS4 based on the performance impressions.

So here I am...unsure if I should download it in all its 40gb glory on PS4 Pro or stay put and patiently hope for a fix that may never come.

Sh0k

Gah...finally bought it, been avoiding it like the plague on the PS4 based on the performance impressions.

So here I am...unsure if I should download it in all its 40gb glory on PS4 Pro or stay put and patiently hope for a fix that may never come.

I got the game on this weeks sale, I had a $10. off voucher from PSN plus a 20% discount, went for the XL edition and paid only $6.98 out of my pocket. I have been playing the game on my PS4 Pro and so far I've been enjoying the game, for all the criticism this game got in this thread, I was expecting the worse performance, but I haven't experience any of that yet. My only complain will be the loading times, specially when you want to retry a challenge, but other than that if you enjoy the previous Just Cause games, I'll say install the game and have a blast with it.

Malcolm9

I'm not usually sensitive to framerates but this game is pretty bad performance wise, it just kills the enjoyment of the game for me. If they can get it to stay at 30fps then that would be a start, but it seems like they don't care now.

danowat

Banned

they'll never fix it, they tried a couple of times and made it worse, so just play it as is.
I am not normally worried by framerate but JC3 is a basketcase.

Top Bottom