• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 |OT| Procedural Chaos

I think it's worth a rent. There's still fun to be had - wing suit is amazing once it clicks, grapple is still fun, and the explosions look great.

Performance issues are definitely there in the early areas, but I didn't find them game-ruining until the largest island.

I'd be okay with dips into the 20s here and there, which are present according to DF frame rate comparisons. But some people are talking about dips into the 10s and I wonder how often one has to expect that.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'd be okay with dips into the 20s here and there, which are present according to DF frame rate comparisons. But some people are talking about dips into the 10s and I wonder how often one has to expect that.

Can't really go wrong with 9 bucks either way.

Renting this game is the perfect solution if you want to play it. The novelty of it wears off after a couple of hours, and when you find out the third island is not only the biggest but also the most empty and boring by far, you realise there really is not much point to anything aside from random gliding around the place.

vypek

Well that DLC looks amazing and fun...but again I just don't want to support them unless we hear about optimizations.

I'm not expecting this until the DLC is all done. Well, maybe it will be there when the DLC is done but I fully expect the DLC to be the focus for quite some time.

I beat the campaign (literally skipping every single cut scene so I have no idea what the plot was except there was a dictator and I needed to stop him). The missions were fun distractions from the sandbox portions of the game. I did however uninstall the game for the time being now with a good deal left to unlock (discoverables, vehicles, and about 1/3rd of the territories left to liberate). Needed to make space on my SSD for another game or two, and figured this will give the JC3 team time to hopefully release some more patches to improve things while I'm playing other games.

Overall, this was a solid 7.5/10 for me. Good, not perfect, but good. I'll definitely come back to it some day. All PC gaming for me, never tried the console versions.

Bought this is in the PSN sale and I'm finding it difficult spotting what I'm supposed to be doing or destroying in settlements. I found it much easier to spot red things to blow up in JC2 and other objectives like shutting off valves are tough to see.

Also how do you exit vehicles but end up on the roof, or under them in the case of helicopters?

23qwerty

Bought this is in the PSN sale and I'm finding it difficult spotting what I'm supposed to be doing or destroying in settlements. I found it much easier to spot red things to blow up in JC2 and other objectives like shutting off valves are tough to see.

Also how do you exit vehicles but end up on the roof or under them in the case of helicopters?

Pretty sure the things you need to destroy are also marked on the map, haven't played in a few months but yea

vypek

Also how do you exit vehicles but end up on the roof, or under them in the case of helicopters?

I haven't booted up the game in the while but try seeing if there is a difference between tap and long press of the enter/exit buttons.

TVexperto

Wow this is really bad and distracting, I cant believe that 3 months after release its still that horrible. How is the xbox one performance after the patch?

I waited to buy this game because I had faith in the developers (especially after the amazing mad max) that they will fix the problems, but I guess I will not buy it now or wait till its on ps plus.

omonimo

Banned
Jeez I want badly this game but performance give me to stay away. WTF why they haven't fixed it yet? I mean, they have just to drop down Havok 2.0 during the explosion, no? I have no problem with the old Havok or limted physics if it runs fine.

Rogan

Banned
Finished the game a few days after release, heard about the updates, just finished the download and its so goddamn terrible.

Fps just randomly dips, cars, mountains, cities and random shit just pops in when going fast.

Any word on another update? I'm playing on PS4, how are the other platforms holding up?

BPoole

I finished the DLC last night. Mission wise it doesn't do anything too special but the jet pack powered wingsuit is super fun to use. I do wish it allowed more fuel before needing to be recharged, but I expect a mod for infinite fuel to be out soon.

This game confuses me so much I've spent maybe 30 hours with it and have done two or three missions. Only one other mission on the map and it's locked until I free this province which I've tried to do cleared every red thing on the map but it's still locked so basically the only thing I can do is repetitively remove propaganda from town or take over prisons. Love the gameplay really disappointed in missions structure.

ArjanN

I finished the DLC last night. Mission wise it doesn't do anything too special but the jet pack powered wingsuit is super fun to use. I do wish it allowed more fuel before needing to be recharged, but I expect a mod for infinite fuel to be out soon.

If you do the jetpack challenges on the airshp you get mods for more charge/faster boost etc.

This game confuses me so much I've spent maybe 30 hours with it and have done two or three missions. Only one other mission on the map and it's locked until I free this province which I've tried to do cleared every red thing on the map but it's still locked so basically the only thing I can do is repetitively remove propaganda from town or take over prisons. Love the gameplay really disappointed in missions structure.

Ummm...you're definitely doing something wrong, as it doesn't take very much to unlock the next story mission at all. You need to fully liberate certain areas to unlock the next story mission., maybe you're reading the map wrong or not fully liberating towns? The fewer items you have left to do in an area more clealy they're marked on the map, so the last couple of things should never be hard to find.

If you do the jetpack challenges on the airshp you get mods for more charge/faster boost etc.

Ummm...you're definitely doing something wrong, as it doesn't take very much to unlock the next story mission at all. You need to fully liberate certain areas to unlock the next story mission., maybe you're reading the map wrong or not fully liberating towns? The fewer items you have left to do in an area more clealy they're marked on the map, so the last couple of things should never be hard to find.

Like the area it says to liberate is a pretty large one with a half dozen or so towns. I've liberated them all and they are all blue on the map but the dotted around the province is still red. I've spent a bunch of time looking for something I missed I did the random challenges successfully but still no dice

shiba5

Like the area it says to liberate is a pretty large one with a half dozen or so towns. I've liberated them all and they are all blue on the map but the dotted around the province is still red. I've spent a bunch of time looking for something I missed I did the random challenges successfully but still no dice

Is there an oil rig? Those can be hidden pretty far off shore and they count towards liberation.

vypek

Is there an oil rig? Those can be hidden pretty far off shore and they count towards liberation.

I believe if you hover your cursor over the map it should tell you how many settlements are left in the province which is a good way to see if you have an oil rig or some other small area that you haven't noticed

Boss Mog

Just got the platinum trophy. Man, getting 5 gears is a few of those challenges tested my patience extensively.

Mainly the helicopter race in the capital city and the 4 wingsuit challenges that start up on the snowy mountain tops. The 4 wingsuit challenges did become easier though once I realized I could use the wingsuit airbrake. I mean I only used it once or twice per course and just a tap but it really made the difference in some very tricky areas with sudden big dips.

If anybody needs any tips or strategies for any of the challenges, don't hesitate to ask, I'll be happy to offer up any help I can.

All in all it was a fun game. It's just a shame there was no multiplayer or co-op. I really don't see a reason to keep it now sadly.

I didn't really have a lot of the issues with the PS4 version that I've seen in videos and read about here. I guess I'm lucky, the game was really pretty smooth for me and I mostly play 60fps games so I'm very sensitive to low framerates and stuttering. The only time I noticed stuttering was when driving a land vehicle, but it went away after patch 1.03 for me. That patch also considerably sped up loading times for challenges which made it bearable to keep retrying for those 5 gears. There was one time where I did notice slowdown and low framerates and that's when I was taking over the capital city and I had level-5 heat and all the tanks, helicopters, explosions, paired with the big city did slow down the action considerably at one point, but I just tethered away for a bit and it went back to normal.

I really can't help but wonder how much fun this game could be with online co-op; maybe in the next one...

I picked up the Sky Fortress DLC yesterday and I gotta say. Just...wow. It changes the game in such a fun, meaningful way that it's hard to put down. It really feels like you are playing as Iron Man .01b

Once the suit is fully upgraded, you can maneuver around such tight corners and turn on a dime it becomes such a rush. Dodging incoming missiles by spinning out of the way at the last second only to have this same missles whiz by and hit a bridge in front of you that starts falling while you put your jetpack into overdrive to squeak by the debris is an amazing feeling. If I'm honest I was a bit luke warm to JC3, which was disappointing as I loved JC2, but this DLC has given this game a shot of life. It's gotta be up there with my favorite piece of DLC, Undead Nightmare for RDR. In the sense that it changes the game enough to feel different, but it's still familiar enough to feel comfortable with.

Arttemis

Boss★Moogle;198367127 said:
Just got the platinum trophy. Man, getting 5 gears is a few of those challenges tested my patience extensively.

Mainly the helicopter race in the capital city and the 4 wingsuit challenges that start up on the snowy mountain tops. The 4 wingsuit challenges did become easier though once I realized I could use the wingsuit airbrake. I mean I only used it once or twice per course and just a tap but it really made the difference in some very tricky areas with sudden big dips.

If anybody needs any tips or strategies for any of the challenges, don't hesitate to ask, I'll be happy to offer up any help I can.

All in all it was a fun game. It's just a shame there was no multiplayer or co-op. I really don't see a reason to keep it now sadly.

I didn't really have a lot of the issues with the PS4 version that I've seen in videos and read about here. I guess I'm lucky, the game was really pretty smooth for me and I mostly play 60fps games so I'm very sensitive to low framerates and stuttering. The only time I noticed stuttering was when driving a land vehicle, but it went away after patch 1.03 for me. That patch also considerably sped up loading times for challenges which made it bearable to keep retrying for those 5 gears. There was one time where I did notice slowdown and low framerates and that's when I was taking over the capital city and I had level-5 heat and all the tanks, helicopters, explosions, paired with the big city did slow down the action considerably at one point, but I just tethered away for a bit and it went back to normal.

I really can't help but wonder how much fun this game could be with online co-op; maybe in the next one...

Congrats! I'm also not having any issues with the PS4 version.

I picked up the Sky Fortress DLC yesterday and I gotta say. Just...wow. It changes the game in such a fun, meaningful way that it's hard to put down. It really feels like you are playing as Iron Man .01b

Once the suit is fully upgraded, you can maneuver around such tight corners and turn on a dime it becomes such a rush. Dodging incoming missiles by spinning out of the way at the last second only to have this same missles whiz by and hit a bridge in front of you that starts falling while you put your jetpack into overdrive to squeak by the debris is an amazing feeling. If I'm honest I was a bit luke warm to JC3, which was disappointing as I loved JC2, but this DLC has given this game a shot of life. It's gotta be up there with my favorite piece of DLC, Undead Nightmare for RDR. In the sense that it changes the game enough to feel different, but it's still familiar enough to feel comfortable with.

What version of the game are you playing? PS4/PC/Xbone? I'm waiting to see how the next DLC looks, because I definitely want to grab the jetpack. If all packs are winners, I'll happily grab the season pass for all of them.

I still wish they'd fix motorcycle handing, though. At least bring it on par with JC2's handling.

What version of the game are you playing? PS4/PC/Xbone? I'm waiting to see how the next DLC looks, because I definitely want to grab the jetpack. If all packs are winners, I'll happily grab the season pass for all of them.

I still wish they'd fix motorcycle handing, though. At least bring it on par with JC2's handling.

Playing on PC and it seems to average about 65fps(maxed out@1440p) or so during most situations. Which was not the case before. I play with Steam's fps overlay, but I'm not actively looking at it all the time though, so my estimate is probably off by +/- 5fps. I didn't buy the season pass though, as much fun as flying, and the wing-suit are, the handling of essentially every vehicle NOT an airplane is awful and it's pretty much been that way since JC1, so I don't have much faith that the Land and Sea portion of the coming DLC will be any good at all, but the Sky portion is amazing and very much worth the $11.99 asking price. It's not a DLC that kinda adds a neat little feature that wears itself thin, the Sky DLC changes the game in a very big way, for the better.

Boss Mog

Congrats! I'm also not having any issues with the PS4 version.

Thanks and I agree that motorcycle handling is atrocious in this game. Thankfully only a couple of challenges force you to use a motorcycle.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I can't play the game because the Squeenix servers are down and the "Go to offline mode" button just reattempts a connection.

Great stuff.

I can't play the game because the Squeenix servers are down and the "Go to offline mode" button just reattempts a connection.

Great stuff.
People keep bitching about Street Fighter 5 yet Just Cause 3 so far has been no less of a clusterfuck in my opinion.

danowat

Banned
Pisses me off that they've released paid DLC for this mess of a game, but still haven't fixed the performance patch that actually made the performance worse, I love sitting there for 5mins waiting for my weapons to load, top job Avalanche.

vypek

Pisses me off that they've released paid DLC for this mess of a game, but still haven't fixed the performance patch that actually made the performance worse, I love sitting there for 5mins waiting for my weapons to load, top job Avalanche.

Weapon loading is broken?I thought they had fixed that. That's a shame. Guess it will probably be addressed in the next patch/DLC?

epmode

This game might as well be PC exclusive at this point. It's pretty great if you can run it properly though. I *love* the new wingsuit.

This game might as well be PC exclusive at this point. It's pretty great if you can run it properly though. I *love* the new wingsuit.

Even on PC it doesn't exactly run great. There's a very obvious memory leak which they STILL haven't fixed for some reason.

JaseC

Even on PC it doesn't exactly run great. There's a very obvious memory leak which they STILL haven't fixed for some reason.

There's no memory leak. 8GB just isn't enough:

http--www.gamegpu.com-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Just_Cause_3_-test-new-jc_3_ram2.jpg

I've 16GB of RAM and had no issues, even prior to the first patch. 8GB stopped being an ideal configuration in 2014, I'd say, as I had to move up from 8GB to 12GB in order to play AssCreed Unity without running out of RAM. In comparative terms, 32GB is the new 16GB (well and truly more than enough), 16GB is the new 8GB (the sweet spot), and 8GB is the new 4GB (the minimum).

TVexperto

I dont understand...why are gaming sites not reporting the unstable performance on consoles? They were all over Unity but this plays much worse .. prob the worst performing game for me this generation (subjective opinion)

There's no memory leak. 8GB just isn't enough:

http--www.gamegpu.com-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Just_Cause_3_-test-new-jc_3_ram2.jpg

I've 16GB of RAM and had no issues, even prior to the first patch. 8GB stopped being an ideal configuration in 2014, I'd say, as I had to move up from 8GB to 12GB in order to play AssCreed Unity without running out of RAM. In comparative terms, 32GB is the new 16GB (well and truly more than enough), 16GB is the new 8GB (the sweet spot), and 8GB is the new 4GB (the minimum).
Which is made worse by the fact that they have 8 GB as their recommended configuration on their steam page.

And judging from reports of other steam owners, even people on 16 GB have encountered insanely high memory usage after prolonged sessions.

JaseC

Which is made worse by the fact that they have 8 GB as their recommended configuration on their steam page.

While true, 8GB is also listed as the minimum, which points to one being a mistake. That doesn't excuse the fact the store page has gone without a correction all this time, though, especially since some people are not familiar enough with system requirements listings to know that the recommended RAM amount is supposed to be higher.

Edit: Oh, wait, even this image has 8GB listed across both. That's disingenuous at best.

And judging from reports of other steam owners, even people on 16 GB have encountered insanely high memory usage after prolonged sessions.

Reports seem to be in line with GameGPU's measurements: 8GB~10GB, depending on how much the system has. RAM usage is higher than you might expect considering the game is also on consoles that offer 5GB to spare in total (system + GPU), but there is most definitely no memory leak, otherwise myself and others with 16GB+ configurations would also run out of RAM eventually. I presume Avalanche could ease the burden on 8GB systems by notably reducing how much data the game caches, but I wouldn't hold your breath for any significant optimisation "breakthroughs" now that we're three months past launch and counting.

While true, 8GB is also listed as the minimum, which points to one being a mistake. That doesn't excuse the fact the store page has gone without a correction all this time, though, especially since some people are not familiar enough with system requirements listings to know that the recommended RAM amount is supposed to be higher.

Reports seem to be in line with GameGPU's measurements: 8GB~10GB, depending on how much the system has. RAM usage is higher than you might expect considering the game is also on consoles that offer 5GB to spare in total (system + GPU), but there is most definitely no memory leak, otherwise myself and others with 16GB+ configurations would also run out of RAM eventually. I presume Avalanche could ease the burden on 8GB systems by notably reducing how much data the game caches, but I wouldn't hold your breath for any significant optimisation "breakthroughs" now that we're three months past launch and counting.
Granted, those reports of memory leaks on 16 GB configurations were before the recent patch so it is entirely possible that they managed to fix the most glaring ones.

Technically speaking, this game has been a mess since launch and the developers have just done too little to try and fix that. Which is a damn shame because the game underneath is so much fun.

JaseC

Granted, those reports of memory leaks on 16 GB configurations were before the recent patch so it is entirely possible that they managed to fix the most glaring ones.

Technically speaking, this game has been a mess since launch and the developers have just done too little to try and fix that. Which is a damn shame because the game underneath is so much fun.

Yeah, as fun as the game is (it's one of the few titles on Steam for which I unlocked all achievements -- or rather had unlocked, since the DLC added more), I couldn't in good conscience recommended it to someone unless they have a PC and it ticks the following boxes:

- At least an overclocked 2600K
- At least 12GB RAM
- At least a 970/AMD equivalent, and
- An SSD large enough to house the game

Kezen

Banned
Yeah, as fun as the game is (it's one of the few titles on Steam for which I unlocked all achievements -- or rather had unlocked, since the DLC added more), I couldn't in good conscience recommended it to someone unless they have a PC and it ticks the following boxes:

- At least an overclocked 2600K
- At least 12GB RAM
- At least a 970/AMD equivalent, and
- An SSD large enough to house the game

I moved the game from my SSD to my Caviar Black 7200RPM and I encountered no stuttering at all. A mechanical drive, provided it is fast enough, is no bottleneck for this game.

I agree with everything else in your list though. 8 logical cores seem to matter a lot for JC 3.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Is the performance still super messed up on PS4? Like, have they patched it since the patch that screwed it up further?

Chabbles

Is the performance still super messed up on PS4? Like, have they patched it since the patch that screwed it up further?
On the latest patch here on PS4 and theres framerate issues a lot. The game is so fun though, i really hope they can improve it more.

Edit, nvm

Top Bottom