• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFX/X-2 Remastered possibly being prepared for release on Steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkeband

Banned
Watch this be the version to get skippable cutscenes for X.

Or at least a mod to skip them.

It sounds like they tied game logic to events within cutscenes, so mods would probably break the game in some way with respect to skipping cutscenes.

Grief.exe

5 and 6 also look like butts because of how they did the mobile ports, that alone was likely enough reason for most to skip them.

6 looks decent when you mod out the inexplicable filter and scaling Square used for the sprites. I know there are mods in the works to replace all of the existing sprites with the SNES versions.

a9zm770.png

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I'll differ to your knowledge since you guys likely follow the matter signfiicantly closer than me. I'm just skeptical considering how far behind the initial PS4 launched at comparatively and the overhead required to run at 4K.

Trust me, it would be nothing for NEO. Hell, if you go on youtube right now, the PS2 emulator can run ps2 games at full 4k easily on a single 970, and that's being brute force emulated, which has far more overhead than porting the base code to fit the architecture

Which also bodes very well for the port to PC, which should run it very smoothly considering

I think my favourite Steam leak would have to be the player stats page breaking and seemingly showing the 100 least popular apps instead, simply because of how amusing it was as a bug:

Some of the red herrings now stand out to me:

SONE/SONE MP = Probably CoD: Ghosts, considering the SP/MP split
Poplar = Pre-release development app for Battleborn
TAGame = Rocket League
Zion = Pre-release development app for Doom
Cork = Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
FGame = Unreleased Enemy Unknown + Enemy Within combo app
Firebird = Shadow of Mordor
RP8 = Grid Autosport
Mambo = Just Cause 3
Project Muffin = Possibly Muffin Knight (it hit Steam mid-2014)
Hickory = Homeworld Remastered
Waffles = Strider
BlackJack = Mad Max

You can add Incognita = Invisible Inc to that list as well.

Isn't it too soon after FF IX? I'm still in the middle of disc 3.

Well, I'm guessing a summer release for this one. I hope it won't be dragging out for too long like IX.

Parsnip

Looks like IX will soon surpass Lightning Returns sales on Steam. All things considered, it's doing quite well indeed.

OmegaDL50

It's not, I think the excuse they made was animations, which they'll probably do for the PC version as well.

Anywho, someone will crack it in less than a week and it'll look just fine like Tales.

The difference though is Tales isn't a turned based RPG and being real time the framerate would effect the feel of the combat. FFX being wholly turn based. While the frame rate IS important, it's not nearly so crucial for reactionary reasons tied to the gameplay.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You can add Incognita = Invisible Inc to that list as well.

While the announcement of the name change came after the leak, it wasn't a secret as pre-orders went live in September and initially included alpha access via Steam, so many people had already been playing the game for a few months.

Famassu

Isn't it too soon after FF IX? I'm still in the middle of disc 3.

Well, I'm guessing a summer release for this one. I hope it won't be dragging out for too long like IX.
These are just ports of really old games. ~3 months (assuming this releases around June/July), give or take a month or two, is enough between two releases.

Fuckin finally. I knew it, the whole thing is ready.
The port was in developpement for more than 5 months and that was nearly a year ago.
They've been sitting on it, now see them stealth release it LOL.

For the record, FFIX was stealth released with no PR or trailer. It still managed to this day over 130k of copies sold.
HEY SE ! CARE TO ANNOUNCE YOUR STEAM RELEASES OR WHAT ?

Ludens

Banned
I really wonder how much it will be. It should be 29.98€ in my opinion, late port (already ported two times) and usually the PC version is cheaper than console one. The game could be easily found for 30€ for PS4, even less if used, so...
But probably it will be 39.98€

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I really wonder how much it will be. It should be 29.98€ in my opinion, late port (already ported two times) and usually the PC version is cheaper than console one. The game could be easily found for 30€ for PS4, even less if used, so...
But probably it will be 39.98€

$30 is the US RRP for the PS4 version so I'd expect the same here.

Ludens

Banned
$30 is the US RRP for the PS4 version so I'd expect the same here.

Nice, I'll take it on release if so. I played the hell out of it on PS2, I remember I didn't own a PS2 initially while a friend of mine did, and we spent entire months on playing the game and 100% it.
For FFX-2 I only played it once and not 100% it, because there was a dungeon with an old man almost insta-killing my entire party, so I gave up because I couldn't figure a strategy.

9 is one of the worst selling Final Fantasies.

Because it came out late only on PS1, also came out after FFVIII which was a disappointment for many (not for me though). Also had very different esthetics compared to VII and VIII, seeming "kiddy" for a lot of the teenage/young fanbase at the time. Also came out while hype for FFX was in full force, etc.

It's still one of the most popular FF and you'll always have tons of people claiming it's the best in any FF thread, positive word of mouth for all those who haven't played it because, again, it's a 16 year old game only released on PS1 previously :p

FFXII HD should do great as well.

OmegaDL50

I own almost every single FF game released on Steam.

The only ones I don't own is FFXIII (Oddly I bought the series in reverse order for some reason getting Lightning Returns first and FFXIII-2 afterwards, I still need to pick up XIII to complete the trilogy)

I also don't own XIV simply because I don't play MMO's much and I currently cannot afford to play a game with a monthly fee attached.

So III, IV and After Years, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, and Type 0 HD.

The only single player releases entirely missing is I, II, Tactics, X / X-2, and XII.

If X / X-2 happens next, that means only 4 games missing out of the entire series so far. Hopefully eventually 1, 2, and Tactics get ported over from Android.

That only leaves XII left.

Grief.exe

That only leaves XII left.

Well with X all but confirmed for release on PC, and XII rumored for PS4, I think we could make strong assumptions for a port.

Tactics is strange. We've been expecting it for years since the Android port is built for high-resolution and it fits the demographics perfectly.

Deadly

At this point, I don't think I'm going to buy JRPG's on consoles anymore.

I've got the PS3 version still sealed. Oh well at least it came with the artbook.

Cels

it's weird that games like KH3 and FF15 are going to be on XB1 (and probably PC sometime down the line?) but SE doesn't bother porting FFX/X-2 or KH 1.5/2.5 to XB1.

we'll probably see FF12 and KH on PC at some point, maybe in 5 years lol

it's weird that games like KH3 and FF15 are going to be on XB1 (and probably PC sometime down the line?) but SE doesn't bother porting FFX/X-2 or KH 1.5/2.5 to XB1.

It's not weird. They were announced before XB1 release. If it was after XB1 sales number, SE would never had announce it.

Bizzquik

I've been wanting to play a JRPG - and I never got far in FFX.

I hope this is true - and releases before the weekend. :)

Looks like IX will soon surpass Lightning Returns sales on Steam. All things considered, it's doing quite well indeed.
Yeah that'll happen when word of mouth for XIII and its sequels is toxic on top of the garbage ass PC versions because Square Enix still barely knows how to make PC games.

Bizzquik

It's probably going to take at least a few weeks. Maybe even months, since this is SE.

Understood. Thanks for letting me know how these things usually play out, as I had no idea.

I still remember that blurp in December that generated news when FFX/X2 first was indicated as coming to PC...and I'm still waiting. LoL

Parsnip

Is everyone feeling ok? No stomach aches or other weird feelings?

The thought of someone playing FFX on anything but a Sony platform makes me sick to my stomach.
Actually it's more likely that I just ate a bit too much candy just now.

inner-G

Banned
The thought of someone playing FFX on anything but a Sony platform makes me sick to my stomach.
Actually it's more likely that I just ate a bit too much candy just now.
Before the HD versions came out, PC (pcsx2) was the best place to play it.

Son Of D

They were announced for XB1 before the consoles launched. If the PS4 wasn't so dominant and the numbers were more even, we'd probably see XB1 ports of FFX/X-2 and KH 2.8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom