• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild is the official subtitle for Zelda U/NX, first gameplay trailer

Earendil

They're typically the worst "dungeons" in the game in the 3D Games. Pretty much all of the 3D Zeldas end on a really lackluster final "dungeon" (Ganon's Castle in OoT, Ganon's Tower in WW, Hyrule Castle in TP). Sky Keep in Twilight Princess was really good, though.

Yeah, IMO none of the 3D Zelda's final dungeons can hold a candle to Ganon's Tower in LttP. Though, Sky Keep was pretty good.

RagnarokX

Who said anything about multiple endings?

You can beat the game without revealing the story, so there has to be additional story you get from doing more stuff. Of course, I don't think Aonuma was saying that the dungeons are optional when he confirmed you can go straight to the boss, I think he just meant you can stick to the minimum requirements if you want and skip a majority of the game's content.

BY2K

Membero Americo
You can beat the game without revealing the story, so there has to be additional story you get from doing more stuff. Of course, I don't think Aonuma was saying that the dungeons are optional when he confirmed you can go straight to the boss, I think he just meant you can stick to the minimum requirements if you want and skip a majority of the game's content.

Think he was pretty clear that we can make a b line straight to Ganon.

I hadn't seen a proper vid of Steppe Talus before, didn't realise that was what the name was for. Guessing each region will have a giant overworld boss to discover.

I really annoys me that nintendo invites some youtuber to test the game.

I know is for BTL advertising, but yet that sucks.

Back to topic.
Am i the only one whoe belives 4 main dungeons sounds bad.
I mean the biggest zelda game and only 4???

If the rumour of 4 dungeons is true though, then it may well mean the rumour about the size of a single forest dungeon being true also. EIther way, I think the dungeons will be far larger and more complex than those seen in previous mainline zelda games.

I really annoys me that nintendo invites some youtuber to test the game.

I know is for BTL advertising, but yet that sucks.

Back to topic.
Am i the only one whoe belives 4 main dungeons sounds bad.
I mean the biggest zelda game and only 4???

Yeah 4 is too few. I think asking for 10 is too much but 6-7 would be fine by me.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I imagine there won't be a "true" ending, but Ganon and Zelda might respond a little differently whether you complete all the dungeons or immediately race towards him. I think most of the story in this game is going to be revealed by talking to NPC's like the Old Man, so there won't be many cutscenes that progress the story.

And I do think that you'll be able to get to Ganon before doing other dungeons, he wouldn't have mentioned it otherwise. You'll probably get killed very quickly, but it'll be possible if you are smart.

Yeah 4 is too few. I think asking for 10 is too much but 6-7 would be fine by me.

While I don't necessarily believe the 4 dungeon rumor, we don't really know enough for 4 dungeons to be "bad". It's entirely possible that the dungeons are significantly larger for example. And we know there's "100 mini-dungeons" as well.

TheMoon

Talking about the amount of dungeons without knowing anything about them is entirely pointless. Remember that MM also just had four dungeons, btw. And that one didn't have more than one hundred smaller dungeons which already look pretty cool by themselves.

Nickle

If the rumour of 4 dungeons is true though, then it may well mean the rumour about the size of a single forest dungeon being true also. EIther way, I think the dungeons will be far larger and more complex than those seen in previous mainline zelda games.
That rumor is 4 years old, says that the budget approached GTA territory, says that the game was originally planned for a 2013 release date, says that there will be an orchestral soundtrack with hours of music, says that Link is grown up, says that you can use miiverse to put hints in dungeons, and says that it will have the most innovative use of the gamepad ever.

The website is banned, but you can find it by googling "zelda wii u rumors 2012"

That rumor is 4 years old, says that the budget approached GTA territory, says that the game was originally planned for a 2013 release date, says that there will be an orchestral soundtrack with hours of music, says that Link is grown up, says that you can use miiverse to put hints in dungeons, and says that it will have the most innovative use of the gamepad ever.

The website is banned, but you can find it by googling "zelda wii u rumors 2012"

Nah, the 4 dungeon rumour is much more recent than that. And the same source of the rumour predicted 100+ mini dungeons, a theme of nature vs technology, and interesting weather patterns to the world.

Nickle

Nah, the 4 dungeon rumour is much more recent than that. And the same source of the rumour predicted 100+ mini dungeons, a theme of nature vs technology, and interesting weather patterns to the world.
The 4 dungeon rumor is recent, but the old "huge forest dungeon" is the one I'm talking about.

But still, I'm very skeptical of the recent rumor. The statements are too general. Most open world games have weather patterns, and nature vs technology was apparent in the 2014 E3 reveal. The 100+ mini dungeon part does give it decent credibility, but many people thought that there would end up being a lot of mini dungeons to make up for a less puzzle-y overworld.

The 4 dungeon rumor is recent, but the old "huge forest dungeon" is the one I'm talking about.

But still, I'm very skeptical of the recent rumor. The statements are too general. Most open world games have weather patterns, and nature vs technology was apparent in the 2014 E3 reveal. The 100+ mini dungeon part does give it decent credibility, but many people thought that there would end up being a lot of mini dungeons to make up for a less puzzle-y overworld.

Oh, yeah, the other one is an old-ass rumour.

I think the main point of credibility of the new rumour is indeed the 100+ mini dungeons. Less for the prediction of mini dungeons, but rather because of the 100+, which is rather similar to the way Nintendo people talked about it.

I'm mostly trying to keep my expectations in check regarding the main dungeons, though. Trying to make my peace with there being only 4 main dungeons.

ReyVGM

The 100+ mini dungeons was not a prediction, it was a leak. At the time it sounded like wishful thinking, but it was true.

Vidiot

We won't even know how many dungeons until release. Four is too few IMO. If Hyrule Castle is a proper fifth I could let it slide I suppose though.

balgajo

I realm don't mind about 4 main dungeons. The thing is, the aesthetics of the mini dungeons need to be more varied from what we saw at e3. Actually I'm a bit worried because two shrines outside the plateau had the same aesthetic.

Calvero

Banned
I realm don't mind about 4 main dungeons. The thing is, the aesthetics of the mini dungeons need to be more varied from what we saw at e3. Actually I'm a bit worried because two shrines outside the plateau had the same aesthetic.

I get the complaint, but the aesthetics being similar makes a lot of in-game sense due to what the shrines are and how their purpose of the beings at the end of each one is to help the hero who is there to defeat Ganon.

RagnarokX

Oh yeah, I didn't mention it last night because it was getting late, but while I was looking at the footage of Hyrule Castle getting a screen grab I ALSO noticed something that pretty much confirms who the Old Man is:

https://youtu.be/UZj8q9PqzzY?t=10m42s

His music theme is Hyrule Castle's theme, aka Farewell Hyrule King. That along with his physical appearance pretty much confirms that he is the (former) King of this era.

Also, in case you didn't already know since it's already well known, Zelda's Lullaby plays at the end of the calamity ganon cutscene with Zelda talking.

chadboban

Oh yeah, I didn't mention it last night because it was getting late, but while I was looking at the footage of Hyrule Castle getting a screen grab I ALSO noticed something that pretty much confirms who the Old Man is:

His music theme is Hyrule Castle's theme, aka Farewell Hyrule King. That along with his physical appearance pretty much confirms that he is the (former) King of this era.

Also, in case you didn't already know since it's already well known, Zelda's Lullaby plays at the end of the calamity ganon cutscene with Zelda talking.

Dude, just... WOW! Your findings on this game so far have been incredible. Thanks for putting in the work.

We won't even know how many dungeons until release. Four is too few IMO. If Hyrule Castle is a proper fifth I could let it slide I suppose though.
Five dungeons (four regular dungeons + Hyrule Castle) plus ~100 shrines sounds fair to me. No doubt shrines will differ in terms of length; some could even be longer than the ones we saw during E3.

Nickle

What if they're like regions rather than dungeons? Each with their own towns, overwold bosses and ecosystems
There'd probably be regions with dungeons inside them, like usual. Go to the town, half the NPC's complain that life sucks because of the monster in the temple, the mayor gives you the key to the dungeon, you beat the temple, and now the townsfolk are happy and can give you new quests.

Earendil

For all we know, some of the later "mini-dungeons" may be nearly as long as some full dungeons from the other games in the series.

HylianTom

Banned

I still think his cane top looks remarkably like the King of Red Lions..

OldManCaneTop.jpg

The shape/curvature is too similar to be coincidence..

So the voice is Zelda and the old Man is the king. I wonder why he isnt with Zelda, maybe he was guarding the resurrection chamber

ReyVGM

My guess is that if there are 100 shrines like the ones we've seen, then a lot of them should be hidden because otherwise the overworld would be littered with those shinny entrances. And hopefully, those hidden ones will look more organic.

RagnarokX

So the voice is Zelda and the old Man is the king. I wonder why he isnt with Zelda, maybe he was guarding the resurrection chamber

With Hyrule being destroyed and Ganon sealed in the castle, the King would no longer have a land to rule or a castle to rule it from. So he became a hermit and guarded Link's resting place on the Great Plateau.

BY2K

Membero Americo

Welp.

I can't hear Hyrule Castle/Farewell Hyrule King in there at all, but I'm also fundamentally horrible at music. If there's a connection to be made there, someone please make it more obvious.

RagnarokX

I can't hear Hyrule Castle/Farewell Hyrule King in there at all, but I'm also fundamentally horrible at music. If there's a connection to be made there, someone please make it more obvious.

It's remixed with extra notes. It's basically the first part of Hyrule Castle theme. If you listen to the overall sound the notes are making you can hear it.

Tritroid

That insanely shiny object/point on Hyrule Castle is probably the Triforce, and that's probably what's keeping Ganon locked in place. If this actually does take place after Wind Waker, the Triforce would be complete anyway, so it'd make sense.

RagnarokX

That insanely shiny object/point on Hyrule Castle is probably the Triforce, and that's probably what's keeping Ganon locked in place. If this actually does take place after Wind Waker, the Triforce would be complete anyway, so it'd make sense.

Nah, it's definitely not in the Adult timeline, that is the least likely of all timelines for it to be in.

Smart money is on Fallen Hero timeline. Most of the clues point that way with references to OoT and ALttP/Z1/Z2. The light in the castle is obviously Zelda and Ganon has the complete triforce, which is why he looks so powerful this time.

Confession: much as I'm digging the minimalist piano direction for the game, I'm having a hard time picking up on the music callbacks (Temple of Time, Zelda's Lullaby and Hyrule King theme). Granted, I like that they're distorted enough to reflect the themes of the game, but except for maybe the Hyrule King one (I think it's this part sped-up?) I still can't recognize them fully.

Anyone else the same the way?

Marlowe89

That's... reaching.

Literally the only similarity between the two songs is the use of a piano, otherwise the notes and structure are entirely different and sound nothing alike.

Confession: much as I'm digging the minimalist piano direction for the game, I'm having a hard time picking up on the music callbacks (Temple of Time, Zelda's Lullaby and Hyrule King theme). Granted, I like that they're distorted enough to reflect the themes of the game, but except for maybe the Hyrule King one (I think it's this part sped-up?) I still can't recognize them fully.

Anyone else the same the way?

Yes.

I can hear the Song of Time fine (it's a really straightforward rendition that's just really slow), but Zelda's Lullaby and Hyrule Castle are existing in this annoying space for me where they sound familiar enough that I can tell what they're probably supposed to be, but I can't actually hear it.

Loki

Count of Concision
Four dungeons would suck, regardless of shrines. I'm hoping for at least 6, or 5 plus Hyrule Castle as a sizable "dungeon." 6+1 would be great.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
NbJ3n8S.jpg

Here's an even closer view from straight in front of it. You can see a road curves through some ruins before reaching a bridge across the water, then the road curves left over a waterfall and snakes up to the top. There are some buildings on the way up to the castle, and the castle has dark spikey vine-like things around it. I think the water might only go in front of the castle like on the VGA map.
Oh jesus, this gets me going

RagnarokX

That's... reaching.

Literally the only similarity between the two songs is the use of a piano, otherwise the notes and structure are entirely different and sound nothing alike.

It's not the normal song, it's elements of it mashed together. The first part is similar to the ALttP intro to Hyrule Castle followed by a few notes of this part https://youtu.be/7P2HNic7JjI?t=15s and then alternating high notes

The double/tripled up some of the notes. If you play it at half speed it matches this part https://youtu.be/7P2HNic7JjI?t=11s fairly closely.

Top Bottom