• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Now officially coming to PC

Holy shit. I think I'm finally going to play TLOU and Journey. Would kill me to have Persona 5 on this someday.

(Is a controller necessary, and does it have to be a PS4 controller?)

edit: 5mbps minimum speed. RIP my dreams.

K' Dash

It's kinda amazing how many people, on YouTube, Facebook, etc.. think this means PlayStation is now on PC and they no longer need the consoles. So many are completely oblivious that PSNow is just PS3 games.

1. People HERE think they will be able to take advantage of their hardware to play the games and this is supposed to be a enthusiast site

2. No PS4 games FOR NOW, if you think they're not coming, well...

The Hermit

You might be joking with this statement, but consoles will disappear and all you'll have are digital platforms that can be accessed from multiple devices rather than being locked into proprietary hardware.

People scoff at the idea, but it will happen.

I am not joking at all.

I belive even Nintendo with the NX its getting closer to that.

Lister

Banned
Holy shit. I think I'm finally going to play TLOU and Journey. Would kill me to have Persona 5 on this someday.

(Is a controller necessary, and does it have to be a PS4 controller?)

edit: 5mbps minimum speed. RIP my dreams.

You don't have 5 mbps download speed? You really were dreaming! Where are you located? My ~200 mbps downstream costs me $80 a month in NE USA.

KyleCross

1. People HERE think they will be able to take advantage of their hardware to play the games and this is supposed to be a enthusiast site

2. No PS4 games FOR NOW, if you think they're not coming, well...
PS4 games will hit... in probably 5 years. Sony's not gonna allow access to their current gen system via other means while it is still their focus and they want people buying it. We'll get PS4 games on Now when the PS5 is near release, if Now is even still around then.

Caayn

You don't have 5 mbps download speed? You really were dreaming! Where are you located? My ~200 mbps downstream costs me $80 a month in NE USA.
A low ping would be better for this service than raw bandwidth. The higher the ping the worse the experience get. See ROTTR on the XB1 for example, high input lag, this service would have a similar effect for all games on it.

Haha. I live in Turkey.

5576564666.png

I'm not the person responsible for the finances (I go to high school), so I don't know how much it costs us. I think it also has a 75GB data cap.

A low ping would be better for this service than raw bandwidth. The higher the ping the worse the experience get. See ROTTR on the XB1 for example, high input lag, this service would have a similar effect for all games on it.

It's right in the announcement article that 5Mbps is the minimum, though. When you can barely meet half that, ping does not matter much.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
if you already own a PS3 game digitally, do you need to pay for it again to play it on PC via PS Now or can you access it for free?

You pay again.

This isn't really targetted at people who want to just play PS3 games they already own. It's aimed primarily at new customers who don't have a Playstation, perhaps secondarily at existing PS fans who just want lighter access to lots of games.

You pay again.

This isn't really targetted at people who want to just play PS3 games they already own. It's aimed primarily at new customers who don't have a Playstation, perhaps secondarily at existing PS fans who just want lighter access to lots of games.

Well it's not aimed primarily at people who don't have a playstation. PSNOW service has been around for ages exclusively on PS4...

Backlogger

Adapter and better driver support for DS4 sounds good. PS Now, meh. $20/mo is way to high. Luckily I still own my PS3 so if I want to play a game on it I can just go buy the old game and not have to bother with an over priced subscription service

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
£66 for Phone/TV (Sky Sports etc) and 200mbps uncapped here in the UK

You can get 360Mb down / 36Mb up here in Dublin for €60. On that connection I can remote desktop to machines in Germany with perfectly usable latency.

As a result I'm kind of hopeful I can piggyback onto the UK PS Now service. Bearing in mind, also, that I assume they must have some hardware presence up in Northern Ireland, or if not, consider the network linkage between Ireland and GB to be 'good enough' to offer it up there.

Well it's not aimed primarily at people who don't have a playstation. PSNOW service has been around for ages exclusively on PS4...

PS owners have just been serving as beta testers effectively. Constraining the audience to PS platforms thusfar wasn't a statement of intent about the target market, but just about controlling the rollout as they scale the service. Though this has been going for a while, it's still very early days. The big picture goal here is absolutely to bring in new customers who aren't PS customers already. It otherwise would be a very heavy-handed approach for very little net benefit.

(Side note: I feel like the success of PS4 has possibly slowed Sony's plans for PS Now a bit. They probably engaged it in the expectation that they might need to be ready to ramp up an alternate quickly if the bottom came out of the console market. That didn't happen, so PS Now has been in a bit of a holding pattern for a while now.)

Lister

Banned

Well yes, but being well below the minimum bandwidth means ping won't matter. And ping is going to be relative to their data centers... I doubt they'll have one near him though anyway :(

PS owners have just been serving as beta testers effectively. Constraining the audience to PS platforms thusfar wasn't a statement of intent about the target market, but just about controlling the rollout as they scale the service. Though this has been going for a while, it's still very early days. The big picture goal here is absolutely to bring in new customers who aren't PS customers already. It otherwise would be a very heavy-handed approach for very little net benefit.

Could you not argue that psnow was designed for the millions of users who are coming to PS4 from 360? And have not had a chance to enjoy the PS3 library? That was always my impression.

You've yet to hear about mobile :p
15£ for unlimited calls/texts, international call and 5GB of data. :p
That's what happens when you allow a new carrier. Years ago, you'd pay over 150€ for that kind of stuff.

Bonkers!

I'm on £15 for unlimited data/600 minutes and unlimited texts, no international calling though, but EU roaming is free in certain countries (with Three)

JustinBB7

I'm a PC guy, only Playstation games I wanna play are Demon Souls/Bloodborne and The Last Of Us.

Demon Souls is not on the list, Last Of Us is the ps3 version and I always read the loading times are terrible on it. And Bloodborne is PS4.

Damn :( maybe in the future when it has these games I'll go for it.

Could you not argue that psnow was designed for the millions of users who are coming to PS4 from 360? And have not had a chance to enjoy the PS3 library? That was always my impression.

I think the main goal has always been to get people to play PSNow and then buy Sony's consoles. That's why they've always planned an expansion outside of the PS platforms.

oSoLucky

I'm a PC guy, only Playstation games I wanna play are Demon Souls/Bloodborne and The Last Of Us.

Demon Souls is not on the list, Last Of Us is the ps3 version and I always read the loading times are terrible on it. And Bloodborne is PS4.

The loading is better after a couple patches but still bad. It still takes a couple minutes for the initial load and a bit if you die, but there's no "real" loading after the initial. Just lots of slow walking transitions.

Wonderful, you can't even download the installer if you're not in a supported region.

You can use a VPN to download it (I tried it). Don't know if you can do anything more with it though.

So here are my first impressions:

- Credit card info is required.

- You can use an Xbox controller! You can use it in-game too.

- I tried Infamous 2 and God of War III. You can use any controller, no KB+M though (except for navigating the client).

- Audio quality is great, but the video quality is kinda meh. The bitrate is pretty low.

- Games that are 60fps run 60fps.

- Input lag is comparable to using remote play or Steam in-home streaming, so pretty decent.

- Games that require Sixaxis (like flower) are unplayable. Probably only playable with the new dongle.

Client looks interesting. It's basically like Netflix, except you can't search for games. You can click on a game to add it to your list or simply play it. You can only find games if you scroll through the categories or scroll all the way to the bottem where they are sorted by the first letter of their name.
rELecOu.jpg

This is what GoW III looks like:
Pv2irWE.jpg

I have 250 Mbit/s down and up, so take from that what you will.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
You can use a VPN to download it (I tried it). Don't know if you can do anything more with it though.

So here are my first impressions:

- Credit card info is required.

- You can use an Xbox controller! You can use it in-game too.

- I tried Infamous 2 and God of War III. You can use any controller, no KB+M though (except for navigating the client).

- Audio quality is great, but the video quality is kinda meh. The bitrate is pretty low.

- Games that are 60fps run 60fps.

- Input lag is comparable to using remote play or Steam in-home streaming, so pretty decent.

- Games that require Sixaxis (like flower) are unplayable. Probably only playable with the new dongle.

Client looks interesting. It's basically like Netflix, except you can't search for games. You can click on a game to add it to your list or simply play it. You can only find games if you scroll through the categories or scroll all the way to the bottem where they are sorted by the first letter of their name.
rELecOu.jpg

Pv2irWE.jpg

Quality of the bit rate doesn't look too great.

bee

i'd consider at least testing it but that price isn't worth it to me, they should offer different options, i don't want access to 400 games, 20 would be fine but it's worth a max of £5 a month to me

EGOMON

You really shouldn't limit yourself to those games only there dozen of hidden gems under PS Now service

In this situation it is comparable. You don't get buffering at all with downloaded movies and shows and on Netflix you can. My point is that it can be an inferior experience and even when you get hit with spikes when the picture quality degrades. Just like PSNOW is inferior to playing the actual game, Netflix is inferior to watching the actual damn show / movie.

Anyway, you brush it off as "it's just buffering". I brush it off as "it's just the slightest bit of input lag". You're making it out to be some sort of massive game killer, but I have been finishing top during games of Uncharted 3. I damn sure hope you play on great monitor if input lag is such a killer for you.

It is not relevant that you finished top in a game of UC3. Who cares? lol. You're still adding latency to every single input in an action game. It seriously lowers the quality of the game. When you watch a show on netflix, you are watching the actual show. When you play a game over stream, you're playing the game with additional input latency. Huge difference and it's silly you're trying to argue so hard against immutable facts.

dont feel comfortable giving sony my credit card info. they havnt even sorted out 2 factor yet
If you already own a PS3, then this service isn't targeted at you. Simple as that.
i have ps3 and im trying it out. rather just pay £13 and play all the games i want in a month rather than having to buy them and watching them collect dust when im finished

Because Netflix streams at 4k and I'm assuming PSNow streams at 720p with low framerate and input lag.

1. PSNow streams at 720p because that's the native resolution of PS3 games. 2. The frame rate matches the game. If it was 60fps originally, it streams at 60fps. 3. Input lag is about as minimal as you could ever expect from a streaming connection. In the same ballpark of Steam In-Home Streaming. It's really impressive, actually.

Caayn

Pv2irWE.jpg

What the? If they went with 720p they could've at least used a decent bitrate. Are the PS4 and other versions of PS Now similar to this?
1. PSNow streams at 720p because that's the native resolution of PS3 games. 2. The frame rate matches the game. If it was 60fps originally, it streams at 60fps. 3. Input lag is about as minimal as you could ever expect from a streaming connection. In the same ballpark of Steam In-Home Streaming. It's really impressive, actually.
Input lag will be whatever your ping time is to the servers, on top of the game's own input lag.

gossi

I just subscribed on PC in the UK (on a native connection, not VPN), on a 20mbit line if anybody has any questions or wants screenshots.

I also own a PS4, so I'll try it on PS4 too to see if saves transfer.

working very nice, lied that I am from the UK (I'm from Croatia). There is almost 0 input lag, the graphics look like they did on PS3.

gossi

Here's God of War 3 running. Works really well, just played first 20 minutes.

Windows 10 PC, shit AMD 6300 processor.

4t37Gq3.jpg

Top Bottom