• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - 30 minutes of gameplay (Japanese)

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I prefer to hear games in my mother tongue, but Cidney's Japanese voice is a lot nicer. I prefer BatNoctis and Prompto in the English version though, much less grating to my ears.

I think there might be a dialogue option in English for the "this is kinda like a date" moment with Iris, let's wait and see, unless someone who made it that far at Gamescom can say otherwise. Obviously disappointing if there are in fact fewer options in English. At any rate, that the English dialogue seems to be quite different from the Japanese is disappointing.

Edit: There is a dialogue option as noted in the OP. I am dumb. So much ado about nothing like I said.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
That sounds a bit unprofessional to me. Yeah, it sucks that his designs won't see the light of day, but he was still paid for his work, wasn't he?

A lot of things in game development get changed, and many hours of work end up "wasted", that's just how it is. A lot of people worked tirelessly to have all of the Versus content up and running, and it was wasted. Even if the direction change didn't happen, when they went with the PS4, given how radically different the game looks compared to Versus, it would still need to be redone. Those hours of work would be gone either way. What about the visual works CGi?

It really sucks, but he was designing for the game, they can do whatever they want with those designs, or isn't that how it works (I honestly don't know)?

He's complaining because his work was wasted. I'm sure it is unprofessional for the current project state, but i think complaining makes sense, even if it is just whining.

He's going to do that if he's the kind of person who complains, its his right to. Its not as if he doesn't have the right to vent about different things

wmlk

What's going to suck though is that we're probably barely going to get any important original characters in the Remake.

I respect the artist that is Ferrari, but I just couldn't comprehend how he came up with the Cindy design, especially after all the talks about the female representation in video games...

Anyway, looking forward to his other designs, if any of them gets to be published in an official artbook.

Sanctuary

Gameplay still looks fun as hell.

1472379868-ffxv2.gif

Yes. Hopefully they release the PC version within a year at least.
edit: Nvm, it's just a Kratos event. Fire still looks fantastic though.

Looks like a PS3 and PS4 comparison of GTAV.

People love to use the "it looks like an X gen game!" complaint a lot, but in this case it's almost justified. Not sure the PS3 would have been able to have even that draw distance.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
What's going to suck though is that we're probably barely going to get any important original characters in the Remake.

Do you want them? I think having Cissnei show up will be fine enough for me.

Even still i think a few of the misshapen blobs that were FF7 NPC's will end up being somewhat ascended extras in any case

Gbraga

He's complaining because his work was wasted. I'm sure it is unprofessional for the current project state, but i think complaining makes sense, even if it is just whining.

He's going to do that if he's the kind of person who complains, its his right to. Its not as if he doesn't have the right to vent about different things

Sure, but it just sounds like the kind of thing you wouldn't do with a current partner that you still intend to work with going forward. I'm wondering if that's not the case for him anymore.

Byvar

So
Ifrit
is confirmed...
That first 4chan leak got everything right, didn't it. All of the story details up to collecting weapons from dead kings have now been confirmed. It even correctly predicted the technical problems of the late-game areas (Tabata says they're focusing on optimizing those areas to the level of the starter areas now), the delay, the DLC, the ever-changing script, the cut designs... But I guess we are getting clothes that aren't black, so that's the one thing it got wrong.

artsi

That sounds a bit unprofessional to me. Yeah, it sucks that his designs won't see the light of day, but he was still paid for his work, wasn't he?

A lot of things in game development get changed, and many hours of work end up "wasted", that's just how it is. A lot of people worked tirelessly to have all of the Versus content up and running, and it was wasted. Even if the direction change didn't happen, when they went with the PS4, given how radically different the game looks compared to Versus, it would still need to be redone. Those hours of work would be gone either way. What about the visual works CGi?

It really sucks, but he was designing for the game, they can do whatever they want with those designs, or isn't that how it works (I honestly don't know)?

This is the biggest game that Ferrari's worked on so far with the Remake coming out a year or two later, so he's probably upset about this thing in particular. It's weird to see an artist complain about it, though. You don't usually see that. People are tasked with their roles. I would be upset if I was in his position, but I probably wouldn't vent it (there's no harm in that anyway).

With Ardyn and Gentiana, he's responsible for the two best designs in the game I think.

It feels kind of strange considering how even successful projects can have a lot of unused concept art. For example I have a Persona 4 art book here full of character designs that aren't in the game.

Artist gets paid to draft stuff, he might like some designs more but in the end other people decide what of it stays in the production, that's just how it is.
I just hope complaining about it publicly doesn't hurt his relationship with SE.

He seems like a nice guy and even responded to me when I asked about Aranea's design some months back.

Gbraga

So
Ifrit
is confirmed...
That first 4chan leak got everything right, didn't it. All of the story details up to collecting weapons from dead kings have now been confirmed. It even correctly predicted the technical problems of the late-game areas (Tabata says they're focusing on optimizing those areas to the level of the starter areas now), the delay, the DLC, the ever-changing script, the cut designs... But I guess we are getting clothes that aren't black, so that's the one thing it got wrong.

What I can't figure out from the 4chan leak is
where does the fight against the emperor fit if before they even get all the summons (I'm assuming the Luna scene is in Altissia) Ardyn reveals himself and Noctis goes to sleep. Maybe "everyone is sad for a while" actually includes a whole arc against the empire and Ardyn before the plot twist? That would be the biggest oversimplification in history, lol.
(MAJOR SPOILERS)

He seems like a nice guy and even responded to me when I asked about Aranea's design some months back.

What was the question and what did he say? :p

bunkitz

Haven't seen them posted anywhere yet and they look pretty new to me.

Aranea looks less like Lightning here, and I like that a lot. Although, is it just me or are her proportions off? Legs look kinda small? And I really hope we find out what the fuck that thing Ardyn is wearing is supposed to be.

artsi

Aranea looks less like Lightning here, and I like that a lot. Although, is it just me or are her proportions off? Legs look kinda small? And I really hope we find out what the fuck that thing Ardyn is wearing is supposed to be.

It's just that photo, it was taken from an unflattering perspective. She has more normal proportions here.

bunkitz

It's just that photo, it was taken from an unflattering perspective. She has more normal proportions here.

Ah, thought that might be the case, but Jesus fucking Christ, the heels of her shoes. Just... wow. Aside from that and the underwear thing, really digging her design. She's probably not gonna get much screen time, though... Or at least not as much as I'll hope for.

They showed up in the ATR + Dengeki event thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1268805&highlight=

But it's still nice to see them.

Ah, thought that might be the case, but Jesus fucking Christ, the heels of her shoes. Just... wow. Aside from that and the underwear thing, really digging her design. She's probably not gonna get much screen time, though... Or at least not as much as I'll hope for.

Originally she was just normal goon, her role got expanded a bit more now.

wmlk

I thought I had seen it all with FFXV, and then I see the overreaction with Gentiana's design bring "changed". Something that likely never even happened. And then attributing it to the artist being devestated by said change?

It's way too much.

Byvar

What I can't figure out from the 4chan leak is
where does the fight against the emperor fit if before they even get all the summons (I'm assuming the Luna scene is in Altissia) Ardyn reveals himself and Noctis goes to sleep. Maybe "everyone is sad for a while" actually includes a whole arc against the empire and Ardyn before the plot twist? That would be the biggest oversimplification in history, lol.
(MAJOR SPOILERS)
They could easily fit it together by having
Ardyn be the one to overthrow the empire and kill the emperor, just like Kefka in FF6. I wouldn't be surprised if the party chases Ardyn into Niflheim during the "everyone is sad for a while" phase only to find him standing by the emperor's corpse and revealing his true identity... or something like that.

bunkitz

They showed up in the ATR + Dengeki event thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1268805&highlight=

But it's still nice to see them.

Oh, cool. Didn't see that thread. Will check it out to see any information I may have missed. Thanks for posting it here!

Originally she was just normal goon, her role got expanded a bit more now.

*gasp* How dare they make such a beautiful character just a normal goon. She kind of looked better with the mask on, though, when she didn't look so much like Lightning... Grateful that her role got expanded a bit more now, though, haha.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I thought I had seen it all with FFXV, and then I see the overreaction with Gentiana's design bring "changed". Something that likely never even happened. And then attributing it to the artist being devestated by said change?

It's way too much.
Honestly? Maybe it's just best to ignore those types of threads.

wmlk

Honestly? Maybe it's just best to ignore those types of threads.
Nah, I'll just call out what's being overblown for what it is. Usually I don't care, graphics talk or whatever makes total sense because it comes down to how games are advertised, but this is something else.

Toth

Regarding the story spoilers, I wouldn't be surprised if <complete story speculation incoming>
Gentiana is Shiva on disguise and Ardyn is Ifrit in disguise

Perhaps the winged demon and female character on the left side of the Genesis mural represent him holding a female personification of Leviathan (being the female figure has a fish tail). This can totally be Gentiana as well.

Perhaps both are trying to get the 'chosen' ones to awaken the Archaeons / Astrals to stop the Plague of Stars: Ardyn through manipulating Noctis to awaken his power by using Niflhiem's invasion to force the prince's hand and Gentialia through the use of the Orcale's power to wake them up. Of course that begs to question who the true villain of the series will be.

edit: If what I speculate actually was true, I wonder if
Gentiana and Ardyn were supposed to be the Pulse / Lindzei pair when the game was still FNC

Gbraga

They could easily fit it together by having
Ardyn be the one to overthrow the empire and kill the emperor, just like Kefka in FF6. I wouldn't be surprised if the party chases Ardyn into Niflheim during the "everyone is sad for a while" phase only to find him standing by the emperor's corpse and revealing his true identity... or something like that.

Hm, makes sense, but still
getting into Niflheim and battling your way to the throne being "everyone is sad for a while" is just... wow. The way he wrote that, I assumed nothing would really happen between the Luna scene and the reveal, maybe a couple of cutscenes, but after people pointed out that we've seen Niflheim footage in the trailers, that got me wondering...

I hope the more linear nature of the latter half allows for some interesting levels and exploration of those areas. Please, game, be good!

Arkeband

Banned
Regarding the story spoilers, I wouldn't be surprised if <complete story speculation incoming>

Perhaps the winged demon and female character on the left side of the Genesis mural represent him holding a female personification of Leviathan (being the female figure has a fish tail). This can totally be Gentiana as well.

Perhaps both are trying to get the 'chosen' ones to awaken the Archaeons / Astrals to stop the Plague of Stars: Ardyn through manipulating Noctis to awaken his power by using Niflhiem's invasion to force the prince's hand and Gentialia through the use of the Orcale's power to wake them up. Of course that begs to question who the true villain of the series will be.

Such a lust for revenge... WHOOOOOOO!

It'll be
Ravus.

Gbraga

Story spoilers. Time to abandon the thread.

Yeah, would suck to accidentaly know that [­spoiler]Noctis kills both Prompto and Ignis.[/spoiler]

EDIT: Wait, why isn't it working?

[­spoiler]Regis is alive in the form of Bahamut[/spoiler]

EDIT2: WHAT IS GOING ON, HELP

Yeah, would suck to accidentaly know that [­spoiler]Noctis kills both Prompto and Ignis.[/spoiler]

Noctis would never kill the best character of the game, Prompto.

Koozek

Biting my technique, huh ( &#865;° &#860;&#662; &#865;°)
How did you do it so the Spoiler tags didn't work, even though you had the right syntax?

wmlk

Ardyn is going to summon Phoenix to revive Stella in an ultimate showdown against Prompto.

Ardyn = Ferrari
Stella = Nomura's 20/20 eyesight
Prompto = Tabata

OPEN YOUR EYES.

Ydelnae

The only thing I have against Gentiana being Shiva in disguise is that Tabata specifically commented on Leviathan being a female and the closest summon to the goddess. If we draw parallels between the goddess and the Oracle, Gentiana is the closest person to Luna.

jett

D-Member

There's an invisible "-" sign in front of the s in
in your post, for some reason.

Top Bottom