• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jason's Ultimatum said:
LOL at 3DS being more powerful than Wii. Maybe the graphics look better due to the tiny screen.

Then again, this is IGN afterall.
And that's around the time my bullshit sense started tingling.

Sorry IGN guys... you make up a lot of shit. And very rarely back up the rumors with anything more then hearsay.

M3d10n

Remember, parallax 3D halves the horizontal resolution (so the actual resolution in 3D would be 427x480) so either in 3D or 2D the amount of pixels being rendered are the same, and so is the required fillrate. Dual-screen 3D games can avoid the huge fillrate hit by dropping to 30fps like the DS does.

Nowadays mobile GPUs have no problem rendering at that resolution or even higher. The iPad runs at 1024x768, which is around HD territory.

However, shader processing power is still quite low in handheld space, and I expect the same will hold true for the 3DS. So I doubt we'll see fancy full-scene shadow mapping, fully dynamically-lit normal mapped levels, object motion blur and other staple 360/PS3 effects used in grand scale.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Cow Mengde said:
Yeah, a lot of people here can't seem to grasp that. It's not that hard to blow the Wii out of the waters. An ON-BOARD geforce 6015 LE graphics chip can blow the Wii out of the waters. I ran Paraworld at 1024 x 768 at around 30 frames per second with some stuff on medium and high. Paraworld is not a game you'd confused with a GC/Wii game visually.
You think Nintendo will still make a big profit that way per sold console?

Deku

Banned
Graphically, anything that is an improvement over the DS is acceptable.

Wii ports to the 3DS, and pocket 'sequels' on the 3DS of Wii franchises is exactly what I don't want.

3DS needs to define its own library. And IGN still sucks.

madara said:
Yeah you've been gaming too long if you can't fall for the same over hype hardware rumors! Be gone!

32b5f66f5cbf7a82e383a8f2da1a148c1edf4943_full.jpg

Believe!

evangd007

madara said:
:lol Thats just great, like expectations are not high enough dreaming of gamecube quality. Now they have to say it equals 360. They sure like gamers to get all frothing and disappointed.

Gamecube quality on a handheld at this point would be easy to do inexpensively. That's not a pipe dream in any sense.

The more interesting part of the IGN article was the quote by Iwata that he was intrigued by the online functionality of the Kindle, using 3G to stay online at all times while distinctively NOT being a phone or requiring a fee.

Deku

Banned
evangd007 said:
Gamecube quality on a handheld at this point would be easy to do inexpensively. That's not a pipe dream in any sense.

The more interesting part of the IGN article was the quote by Iwata that he was intrigued by the online functionality of the Kindle, using 3G to stay online at all times while distinctively NOT being a phone or requiring a fee.

that's been discussed to death and proven inpractical given the data bandwidth required for gaming, DLC etc.

Deku said:
that's been discussed to death and proven inpractical given the data bandwidth required for gaming, DLC etc.

It probably wouldn't be used for gaming, but I could see them doing a one time fee and using the 3G connection for updates and news.

Faxanadu

It doesn't seem out of the question that the 3DS will be powerful. It's not the same high risk gamble they did with the DS or the Wii.

They test the waters with DS and Wii..both kill the competition. Now the next iterations can throw processing muscle on top of other innovations.

Win.

Deku

Banned
Faxanadu said:
It doesn't seem out of the question that the 3DS will be powerful. It's not the same high risk gamble they did with the DS or the Wii.

They test the waters with DS and Wii..both kill the competition. Now the next iterations can throw processing muscle on top of other innovations.

Win.

what i'm afraid of is the Sony 'death star' effect.

Caramello

evangd007 said:

But Iwata said that a while ago and also said something along the lines of not being able to do it yet, but in the future perhaps. He also said it'd require premium pricing and not Nintendo-like pricing that people are used to.

Deku said:
what i'm afraid of is the Sony 'death star' effect.

Sony had more problems with the PSP than just price (though, it was a large hurdle).
The marketing was out right shit, the system was treated like a home console rather than a handheld device and it wasn't as portable as the DS with the constantly exposed screen.

wsippel

Banned
Deku said:
There are other ways to achieve something similar. They could make a deal with more hotspot providers for example. Wouldn't have the coverage of the 3G, of course, but it's out there, it's only getting better, and it's a lot cheaper and faster than 3G.

Mihos

Gold Member
Graphics Horse said:
Pick one or more of the following BAMMS:

BAMM Analog stick!
BAMM Analog buttons!
BAMM Multi touch top screen!
BAMM motion sensors!
BAMM microphone capable of recognising more than blowing and certain colours!

I think "BAMM 2 Analog Sticks" would read better.

For a completely different reason 3DS will do well... I can't think of a damn thing to buy the kids for Christmas , and this is an easy out. Unless they miss the holiday seson.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
You somehow let me call people on my 3DS.... i don't care how shitty the speakers are.... it will be my phone of the forever. :D

Teetris said:
You think Nintendo will still make a big profit that way per sold console?

I'm just saying they can blow it away with some piss weak hardware.

Let say they do use a hypothetical Geforce 6015 LE, that thing's probably won't be all that expensive to manufacture. Probably a few dollars. That on-board card is absolute garbage, but still beats the GC/Wii easily.

Somnid

Deku said:

These discussions were terrible. It's really the global partnering and associated costs that's the hard part. Online gaming isn't that bandwidth intensive so if they really wanted it isn't a problem, but it is latency intensive which 3G sucks at anyway. So if they nix that element and tell developers that they can access 3G as long as they do something like WiiConnect24 with X amount of data per transfer max every so often then it's fine. Downloads pay for themselves so there's no problem there.

The thing is Kindle exists so why people think it's beyond possibility to do any of this even on a global scale is beyond me. I'm not expecting it at all but it's always a possibility.

BowieZ

Banned
So I'm sure this has been discussed numerous times over the past 12000 posts, but are people pretty certain that the naming of the device will retain the phrase "DS" (as in "3DS" or whatever)?

I was thinking about it before, how Nintendo would obviously be silly to throw away that name recognition, especially as it fits so well with a "3" in front of it, but then I thought... the opposite is also true. What better way to make a statement? ... that this is a brand new device for a brand new decade... to disassociate itself from all the preceding DS iterations and the recent DSi XL... and especially if this device ends up with more features than we initially thought... 3D, 3G, etc.

And then of course, if it's a "new era" of Nintendo handheld, it's the "third" era. 3D, maybe 3G network, 3rd era... could the "3" or "three" be the key to the name more so than 3D?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Well, they said it was part of the "Nintendo DS family" so obviously they're going to keep "DS" in the name. Unless they're sly bastard, that is.

Kilrogg said:
Well, they said it was part of the "Nintendo DS family" so obviously they're going to keep "DS" in the name. Unless they're sly bastard, that is.

Well, actually, they called it the successor to the DS line.
Which means they could call it "The Big Fucking Handheld! Bitches!"
But 3DS has a better ring to it.

wRATH2x said:
OK I bet all of you it won't be that much more powerful. Maybe around the Wii, but don't expect any PS3/360 graphics.

Like others have said, Wii power with the ability to do more effects like the PS3/360 is certainly possible.
That would be a fairly significant jump.

BowieZ

Banned
Kilrogg said:
Unless they're sly bastard, that is.
Is it in Nintendo's character to apply for decoy trademarks and stuff to throw off the scent leading up to an unveiling? I'm not that much of a pulse-of-the-industry veteran so I don't know.

BowieZ said:
Is it in Nintendo's character to apply for decoy trademarks and stuff to throw off the scent leading up to an unveiling? I'm not that much of a pulse-of-the-industry veteran so I don't know.

Eh, depends.
I mean, they called the GameCube the Dolphin for ages.
And the Wii came out of no where.
Then again, DS wasn't suppose to be the final name of the system, but it really stuck.

1-D_FTW

camineet said:
More powerful than Wii could mean the resolution is still 480p plus or minus, but geometry & lighting, shaders, etc are far more powerful. It wouldn't surprise me. AMD/ATI could supply a low-end GPU based on the R8xx / HD 5xxx series that blows Flipper/Hollywood (10-11 year old tech) out of the water.

Exactly. The Wii is based on tech that's 10 years old. The DS is basically the tech of 15 years ago. I don't know why people are setting their bar so ridiculously low and laughing at people with realistic thoughts.

1.)The screen needs to be at a high pixel density for the 3D to be effective.

2.) Iwata made the comment the DS successor will have high resolution screens at that one meeting.

3.) It's 3D. You're probably gonna want games to run at 60fps. You're effectively splitting that. I would imagine it starts getting pretty janky if you're doing significantly less.

4.) This is going to be Nintendo's portable system for the next 5+ years.

5.) The world has changed significantly since the DS was released. It's a new world. And despite some people here wanting to ignore it, Nintendo realizes they can't ignore Apple and the portable revolution. Whether they like it or not, they're competition and Nintendo needs to be competitive out the gate. They're don't have the luxury of significant updates every 18 months.

6.) Portable computing power is where the most impressive technical achievements have been happening lately. You can do all of the above without breaking the bank or having 30 minutes battery life.

Deku

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
Exactly. The Wii is based on tech that's 10 years old. The DS is basically the tech of 15 years ago. I don't know why people are setting their bar so ridiculously low and laughing at people with realistic thoughts.

my bar is low graphically. I expect DC level 3D at least, from a very minimalistic processor, but Nintendo will probably beat that handily if half of what is being rumoured is even true.

What I don't like is the 'Death Star' mentality in technology products of 'OMG LOOK AT ALL THAT SHADERZ AND RAMZ'. and given IGN writers are generally graphic whores and always have an agenda to push (think Matt's incessant rambling about voice chat) i'd take their crap with a grain of salt.

MidnightScott said:
How much do yall think the games will cost? Will Nintendo try to keep it $29.99, and $34.99 for First Party games?

Or do you think we are gonna be paying $40-$50 per game? I really doubt this. Tons of DS are sold because they have cheap startup costs...
I'd say that's up to the developers/publishers. Is it a game where a DS-size team has an easier time of things because of the extra capabilities, or a game where they're treating it like a big GCN era production. More $40+ games would certainly not be surprising, considering we already see some DS games there. I mean, when Square does a fancy-pants FF V remake, we're not getting it for $30.

ILikeFeet

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
2.) Iwata made the comment the DS successor will have high resolution screens at that one meeting.

I keep on hearing that he was somewhat misquoted on that. I think it was higher resolution screens

wsippel

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
Doesn't change the fact that even low end mobile GPUs draw more than ten times as much power as acceptable for handheld devices, and even the most powerful embedded GPUs may be close to Gamecube levels at best when it comes to raw performance. Even an Imageon Z460 is only about as powerful as Flipper, and the Tegra2 specs Nvidia throws around are marketing bullshit.

Durante

wsippel, that's what I was getting at on the last page. Wii level of performance is completely realistic. "Closer to 360 than Wii" (in throughput, not programming model) just isn't in the power budget.

1-D_FTW said:
3.) It's 3D. You're probably gonna want games to run at 60fps. You're effectively splitting that. I would imagine it starts getting pretty janky if you're doing significantly less.
The 3D technology they're rumored to go with doesn't actually split the framerate (it halves the horizontal resolution).

1-D_FTW said:
If I get this right the DSi needs 2.8 Watts for everything (screens, arm9, arm7, ram)

The Wii needs about 20Watts for nothing but the crappy graphics it's outputting (compared to the other two!)

360 and PS3 are sucking far > 150Watts out of the plug each. (I'm not exactly sure about the new SKUs though but I don't think the decrease is that high)
1.)The screen needs to be at a high pixel density for the 3D to be effective.
The rumored screen is 800x480 or something. This is as much as a good amount of HD games are capable of outputting on PS3/360! (recap the 150+Watts need!) And about FPS :lol I just don't want to start with this as well. A solid 60FPS game on HD consoles is like a fairytale. A lot of game can't even provide a solid framerate and then dip to 20fps in times.

On the other hand my Notebook sucks like 27 Watts out of the battery without a dedicated 3D card and an ultra low voltage CPU while playing a game. With this I can play like 2 hours with the BIG 4500mA battery.

Everthing above 10Watts is not feasable for a handheld gaming device! I don't think they'll include a battery with more than 1500mA!
Keep in mind we are talking about a system which is quite a good amount under 200$ to begin with!

6.) Portable computing power is where the most impressive technical achievements have been happening lately. You can do all of the above without breaking the bank or having 30 minutes battery life.
All of the above is possible for sure! But not without burning down the battery in 2 hours or without it being damn expensive. Did you ever think about why flash is not supported by the iDevices? Perhaps because it sucks the battery empty in minutes. There goes the 8hours duration.

If the tech exists for portable computing then tell me please why do MS and Sony not include a similar powerful tech in there new SKUs to decrease the power sucking significantly. MS could actually abandon the brick! They could even shrink those two by a LARGE amount if this tech is really that great.

I reaaaally hope you guys are right with your hightech talk but I don't think this is the case.

Actually when speculating that low the suprise is on my side as well. No meltdown for me :)

wsippel

Banned
Durante said:
wsippel, that's what I was getting at on the last page. Wii level of performance is completely realistic. "Closer to 360 than Wii" (in throughput, not programming model) just isn't in the power budget.
I agree with the latter, but I even doubt the former. For reference: The Qualcomm Snapdragon QSD8250, which uses an Imageon Z430 GPU, pushes 133Mpx/s (Flipper: 648Mpx/s; Hollywood: 972Mpx/s) and a lot less polys per second than Flipper.

DonMigs85

A custom Imageon chip does make sense for the 3DS. After all it seems unlikely Nintendo would just dump ATI/AMD and switch to Tegra.
Also about how long does an iPhone 3GS last if you play a game (say, Need for Speed) constantly? Remember, the chips in the PS3, 360 and even Wii aren't designed for small size or mobility so they definitely suck more power. Although if they switched to 45nm for Wii it'll probably only consume around 10 watts or less.

The thought just occurred of someone in the know, say someone employed at a company that has 3DS dev kits, reading this thread with a smile, laughing at how wrong many are, while nodding appropriately when people are dead close. It's a fun thought.

DonMigs85

wsippel said:
I agree with the latter, but I even doubt the former. For reference: The Qualcomm Snapdragon QSD8250, which uses an Imageon Z430 GPU, pushes 133Mpx/s (Flipper: 648Mpx/s; Hollywood: 972Mpx/s) and a lot less polys per second than Flipper.
I believe it's tile-based like PowerVR and Dreamcast though, so that effectively increases its fillrate by about 3x in comparison to conventional setups (so it's more like 400Mpx/s).

Skiesofwonder said:
Just got through explaining to you why Nintendo would not do that. They won't so stop bringing it up likes it is a possibility. You also greatly underestimate the power that 3D has over consumers.

And no, making a PSP2 would NOT be a way to differentiate themselves. Regular people really don't give a shit about graphics anymore, and most can't (or don't care to) even recognize the difference.

You do realize Nintendo is the creator of the Wii and DS right? They know how to bring innovation to the market and make it succeed. To act like they would abandon that winning formula is moronic. So I'm not saying your a moron, but your opinion is definitely moronic.
What is the "innovation" of the 3DS though? You're right that Nintendo provided something fresh with the Wii and DS, but 3D is nothing new.

I don't even know what to say about your second paragraph. Why exactly are people upgrading to HDTV's if they can't tell the difference between a high and low resolution image?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom