• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush 2 delayed to Jan 18 (EU) / 19 (JP) / 20 (US) 2017 + free DLC

It's absolutely a problem.

Games should launch when they're ready, but publishers should also be a bit more mindful of when they decide to announce release dates. They've always kind of been a joke in this industry, as they're rarely met the first time, but Sony has essentially made it an art form this generation.

When almost every game is, it is. Stop announcing release dates when it's not locked, and we'll go back to the odd delay being the exception, instead of it being the quasi rule.
2015-2016 has been particularly bad in this regard.

On the consumer side, maybe there should be less angst and pressure applied to "get a date" though.

I'm of a conflicted mind. It's easy to see why publishers want to announce a date when they are relatively confident in it (and lets be honest here, this is a delay of about a month, so they were pretty confident, initially at least.), as it makes marketing the game (and thus, selling it) much easier.

At the same time, it's become apparent this generation that much of the problems that cause a delay come near the tail-end of a game's development cycle. And Sony's clearly on that mind of delaying rather then pushing the title out at this point.

So, it's a bit problematic. Do you give up marketing advantages and so on in the anticipation that there might be a delay? Or do you announce and deal with the delay as it comes.

I can see both sides. I don't mind the way Sony is doing it now but I can definitely see and understand those who would. I just think game development realities in this generation have gotten to a point where it makes the issue a bit muddled.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I don't know if delaying GR2 to January is really going to help. Just look at what the first three months of 2017 will look like in North America, assuming nothing else gets delayed:

Jan. 20: Gravity Rush 2
Jan. 24: Kingdom Hearts HD II.8
Jan. 24: Resident Evil 7
Jan. 24: Yakuza 0
Feb. 9: Ni-Oh
Feb. 14: Persona 5
Feb. 14: Sniper Elite 4
Feb. 14: For Honor
Feb. 21: Halo Wars 2
Feb. 23: Nier: Automata
Feb. 28: Horizon: Zero Dawn
March 7: Ghost Recon: Wildlands
March: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Q1 2017: Tales of Berseria
Q1 2017: Mass Effect: Andromeda
Q1 2017: Tekken 7
Q1 2017: Sea of Thieves
Q1 2017: South Park: The Fractured But Whole
Q1 2017: Fate/Extella
Q1 2017: Akiba's Beat
Q1 2017: Torment: Tides of Numenera
Q1 2017: Danganronpa 1 + 2 Reload
Q1 2017: Yooka-Laylee
Q1 2017: Squadron 42 (probably, heh)

GR2 has to manage not to get overshadowed by RE7 releasing four days later, and it probably can't count on much of a tail considering how fast and frequent the games will come after Jan. 20.

Very disappointed to have all of KH 2.8, Horizon, South Park and now Gravity Rush delayed to next year. My Q4 has now become a wasteland with nothing but FFXV while the first 2 months of 2017 has 9 games I want to play releasing within 6 weeks of each other, which is obscene. (KH 2.8, Horizon, South Park, GR2, Persona 5, RE7, Ni-oh, nier, yakuza 0)
Even worse yet, all of these releases might yet be prefaced with the reality of the NX releasing a few weeks after with Zelda. There are going to be some serious casualties in this release window, not least my wallet.

At least Sony admitted the reason for the delay was congestion so we won't have the usual nonsense from people after every delay of them taking time to add more "polish".

It really doesn't matter. The games are coming out, and they aren't going to disappear.

Would you really have had the time (and money) to play through so many games, anyway?

If you really need something to play, you shouldn't sleep on The Last Guardian. It will probably be fantastic.

Jawmuncher

I don't know if delaying GR2 to January is really going to help. Just look at what the first three months of 2017 will look like in North America, assuming nothing else gets delayed:

GR2 has to manage not to get overshadowed by RE7 releasing four days later, and it probably can't count on much of a tail considering how fast and frequent the games will come after Jan. 20.

It really won't help GR2. Maybe if it was the first week of January. But it's the GR HD release all over again.

HotHamBoy

It's the best possible window if it's releasing this fiscal year. KH2.8 is a re-release and Resident Evil 7 has a vastly different audience. It definitely won't have great legs, though.

Free DLC for a one month delay is crazy.

With this delay, the only game I'm still wondering about for my gaming schedule is Nier Automata.

I have the rest of my purchases and playtime planned out, Automata is the only missing piece of the puzzle.

Menitta

Damn. 2017 is gonna be lit. I forgot Nioh had a release date. I'll get GR2. I'll drop it by Yakuza 0 but I'll get it nonetheless.

daegan

Probably going to drop RE7 then. There's no way I can justify picking up that much that fast, but I can't sleep on Yakuza or this and I'm still trying to convince myself to not pick up KH right away.

New stream in a little over seven and a half hours

cu8lytjvyaanzrp10lbc.jpg

http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv276634299

jacobeid

Banned
Do we know how meaty the DLC is? Happy that it's free, I'm really just more curious about what it actually *is*.

Still so bummed that this got delayed but I have a three-day weekend now when it releases on the 20th which makes me super happy haha.

Do we know how meaty the DLC is? Happy that it's free, I'm really just more curious about what it actually *is*.

Still so bummed that this got delayed but I have a three-day weekend now when it releases on the 20th which makes me super happy haha.

We don't even know what the DLC is. Before this announcement they hadn't said anything about it. But the fact that they're calling it premium/story DLC makes me think that it's more than the originals side-mission DLC. It also makes me wonder if it'll star Kat as GR2 is suppose to wrap up her story. So it could potentially be another character.

Prototype

Just finished Gravity rush remaster and it blew my mind.
I'm in love with everything about the game- it's characters, story, mechanics, music - all of it.

Gravity Rush 2 is going to be amazing. I'm all in.

cheesekao

We don't even know what the DLC is. Before this announcement they hadn't said anything about it. But the fact that they're calling it premium/story DLC makes me think that it's more than the originals side-mission DLC. It also makes me wonder if it'll star Kat as GR2 is suppose to wrap up her story. So it could potentially be another character.
It's entirely possible that they'll just have the missions take place at some point in the story like the first game did.

BigEmil

RIP my wallet

StereoVsn

This list is insane. I am getting GR2, Yakuza, P5, Torment Day 1 and will also get Zelda, ME:A, Nier, Akiba's Beat, Tekken 7, ToB, Ni-Oh and Horizon Zero at some point (and SQ42 but that's not happening at best till end of 2017).

Anyway, GR2 is going to be great for 4 days and then Yakuza and Persona 5 will take me about 2 months.

I love all of those costumes. Were some of them shown before?

They've all been shown on streams or trailers. In the case of the nurse outfit or the last one shown in that image, you get those through completing sidequests. The red dress seems like it comes from a story mission if the trailer is anything to go by.

Top Bottom