• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Zero 2: Wii Edition releasing on the EU eShop this week

Shiggy

Did Japan get Zero: A Japanese Ghost Story on VC? I'll doubt they'll ever put that out in Europe despite it being localised.

-shadow-

Anyone who doesn't have this yet. Buy it! It's such a great game and I went out and bought the rest of the series afterwards. Such a great series!

And the voice-acting is still better than the original game had.

Edit: And let's not forget this awesome cover art they've used!

2582174-pz2-cover-art.jpg

-shadow-

Does this version have all the content from the xbox version like all the side missions and costumes?

Yes and no. The missions are replaced with a Haunted House mode where you press a button to move through a couple of different locations (including locations from the unlocalised Mask of the Lunar Eclipse) and must remain as still as possible. This mode can actually be played with a second player controlling when the ghosts pop up. It's a funny mode, but nothing special. And there are a bunch of outfits available for purchase after the game, but the bikinis have been blocked off (they're still there via hacks I believe) like with most other Nintendo games these days that feature bikinis.

MarionCB

I have 2 physical copies. One to lend to people and one because I can't be without it in case I need to play it. I'll probably buy the eshop one just for the hell of it.

Not that it affects me, but it seems crazy they won't sell this in the US.

Bazry

I have 2 physical copies. One to lend to people and one because I can't be without it in case I need to play it. I'll probably buy the eshop one just for the hell of it.

Have the US ever got VC games that wasn't released there previously? We've got games like Earthbound in Europe, is there any reason why this wouldn't come to the US later this week also?

Andyliini

Have the US ever got VC games that wasn't released there previously? We've got games like Earthbound in Europe, is there any reason why this wouldn't come to the US later this week also?

At least Kuru Kuru Kururin was released in NA, and that was previously unreleased. They could, but I' not sure if they would go as far as change the title, as the series features a different title in each region.

-shadow-

Nintendo of America is weird no doubt. But wouldn't they have to get this game rated by the ESRB if they want to bring this over? Not that that should stop them, but still...

At least Kuru Kuru Kururin was released in NA, and that was previously unreleased. They could, but I' not sure if they would go as far as change the title, as the series features a different title in each region.

They could just list the game as Fatal Frame on the eShop if they want. It wouldn't be the first time that they've just slapped a different title on the eShop than the game has.

Bazry

We in Europe also got Contra III instead of Super Probotector on Wii U, so I suppose they could just throw it out as Project Zero in the US

Great survival horror game with a fantastic atmosphere. While I did enjoy the most recent Project Zero on Wii U, 2 is the superior game without a doubt.

MarionCB

I really don't know what would stop them. This was one of the bigger snubs they made, alongside Disaster: Day of Crisis and Another Code:R.

Could it be possible that the title difference is an issue? Being called Fatal Frame in the US would mean they'd have to change the titles in game, and maybe some other minor changes. Perhaps any work on the game no matter how small is too much for them at this point.

Of course, if they didn't insist on region-locking their consoles this wouldn't have been a problem in the first place. I mean, I own the 3 Fatal Frame titles on my Australian PS3 with a US account.

Semajer

I thought that it was a much scarier game than the original version, and they tidied up one of the sections of the game so that it flows better. Well worth a buy.

It's a crime that Mission Mode wasn't included though.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
What about FF4?
I have it for the Wii and I've played it with the homebrew, but...
I really think that exploiting the Wii VC for unrealeased games would be pretty neat (as for the mario baseball game...or Excitebots...!)

Couldn't play this on a download. I need the disc drive spinning up noise to know whether it's safe to pick up an item or if the ghost hand is going to appear, :p.

-shadow-

Happy knowing I wasn't the only one listening for that! 😂

Could it be possible that the title difference is an issue? Being called Fatal Frame in the US would mean they'd have to change the titles in game, and maybe some other minor changes. Perhaps any work on the game no matter how small is too much for them at this point.
Nah, they could easily just list the game under the Fatal Frame name on the eShop. They've done so with Earthbound Beginnings. Make a special note in the description that it's based on the European release hence the different title ingame.

And if they felt the absolute need for an edit, only the logo needs editing. No other mentions of Project Zero outside of that.

What about FF4?
I really think that exploiting the Wii VC for unrealeased games would be pretty neat (as for the mario baseball game...or Excitebots...!)
No chance they'll release this outside if Japan. Official localisation was never released for a reason.

Actually just bought this physically a few days ago. Can I play it without the first one?
I believe a couple of notes talk about the first game, but those don't really connect to the actual story going on. You can play this without a problem.

Semajer

Did Japan get Zero: A Japanese Ghost Story on VC? I'll doubt they'll ever put that out in Europe despite it being localised.

What about FF4?

Wouldn't the game-breaking glitches that Tecmo refused to fix stop any release dead in the water? I think the only chance of a localisation now would be a HD port.

Actually just bought this physically a few days ago. Can I play it without the first one?

Yes
the games are interconnected, but slighlty and if I remember correctly, more starting from the 4th than before

If I remember correctly FF and FF2 are only very lightly connected by a family tree. You shouldn't miss much playing FF2 first. FF3 should be played after FF and FF2, FF5 should be played after FF3, and then the rest of the games are connected only by notes and items left by a background character.

Yes and no. The missions are replaced with a Haunted House mode where you press a button to move through a couple of different locations (including locations from the unlocalised Mask of the Lunar Eclipse) and must remain as still as possible. This mode can actually be played with a second player controlling when the ghosts pop up. It's a funny mode, but nothing special. And there are a bunch of outfits available for purchase after the game, but the bikinis have been blocked off (they're still there via hacks I believe) like with most other Nintendo games these days that feature bikinis.

That's a bummer. Even though I don't use all costumes, I was a sucker for just beating the missions and unlocking stuff for the sake of it when I rented the game years ago.

Ridley327

Of course, if they didn't insist on region-locking their consoles this wouldn't have been a problem in the first place. I mean, I own the 3 Fatal Frame titles on my Australian PS3 with a US account.

I suppose there is a possible issue with the Project Zero trademark with the game taking on the Fatal Frame title in just North America, but other than that, I don't think NOA has had any other issues with name changes. They call it Earthbound Beginnings, but the title screen is still Earth Bound.

Eolz

Wow, I'm glad this has been released! It has been pretty hard to find a good physical copy at a good price...

Dingens

What about FF4?
[...]

well... as far as I know a localized version exists for Europe, but as long as the game is buggy, they won't release it sadly.
I also beat it using the english patch loader thingy, and I wished more people could play it... but importing seems to be a huge hurdle (even though the game isn't particularly expensive atm). I still hope that they will find a way to eventually bring it over somehow.

Top Bottom