• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nerd Crew: A Pop Culture Podcast by Red Letter Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not

Banned
I kind of get the feeling in recent months that they've realised being negative or cynical about Star Wars is more popular than being positive. The Plinkett Force Awakens review was pretty poor and trying way to hard to be negative about what was generally a very decent movie.

I mean it is how they made their millions, so to speak. Doubt it was a recent realization.

I kind of get the feeling in recent months that they've realised being negative or cynical about Star Wars is more popular than being positive. The Plinkett Force Awakens review was pretty poor and trying way to hard to be negative about what was generally a very decent movie.
That TFA review was pretty positive. It was just a boring review overall because the other positive reviews were interesting.

And Rogue One is mediocre. It's just the fanboys can't believe that a Star Wats film can't be average

213372bu

Banned

I think you didn't watch the Plinkett Force Awakens review and are just making assumptions based on GAF posts.

This podcast does mention your first point, and that's the point of this, to just be positive for once about the best movie since ESB.

Real Hero

I love it, comments of you 'guys used to be funny rogue one was badass!!' is the reason they made this and why they won't drop it. It's funny

I'm confused about this term. Some people apparently use it to mean "correct" while others use it to call something an obvious or unsophisticated critique/statement. Which is it?
It's both, I meant it in the good way. When its the bad way you usually say "a little too on the nose".

Not

Banned
Insult comics are a thing. People love to be made fun of/watching other people be made fun of. All the people who don't realize or accept Rogue One's undeniable inadequacies are prime targets.

It's both, I meant it in the good way. When its the bad way you usually say "a little too on the nose".

Thanks

That TFA review was pretty positive. It was just a boring review overall because the other positive reviews were interesting.

And Rogue One is mediocre. It's just the fanboys can't believe that a Star Wats film can't be average

How can you say that when the PT exists.

Some SW fanboys even tell others that it had ruined their childhood.

Harlock

Yep. Every cliche from games/movie/pop culture podcasts. They should present themselves as Senior Editor from RLM, because in every podcast everyone is senior editor.

Not

Banned
There's no such thing as dispassionate Star Wars fans. Or at least, they're very, very quiet. The fans won't let it go, so neither can they. I'm loving their recent vids myself

I feel like RLM is playing all the RO defenders and getting tons of views from it all.

This. It's like people who bought tons of albums just to burn 'em. Not exactly discouraging artists from making stuff of the same ilk.

How can you say that when the PT exists.

Some SW fanboys even tell others that it had ruined their childhood.

Those are bad, not average. R1 is a straight, middle of the road, forgettable film which is alright, but some take the defense way too far (the characters are supposed to be boring because they are going to die/because it's about factions). If someone brings up the lack of character development, they call it nitpicking. Some just can't take the criticism.

.JayZii

Banned
Jay really has that self-serious nerd face down to a science. Especially for reaction shots.

This was funny even though I don't watch or listen to the things it is parodying.

inm8num2

XFDi2Oq.gif

This might be their best acting effort yet, really spot-on and hilarious (and brutal if this was aimed at certain individuals specifically). Definitely vastly better improv jokes (I suppose) too compared to that terrible George Lucas salad video recently.

This was great. Good to see people still complaining about them shitting on Rogue One (which I thought was forgettable shit anyway).

I'm torn because I love this takedown of corny geek variety show stuff but god they're so, so mad people didn't like their Rogue One review and I really feel like they're digging the hole even deeper

Anth0ny

Wow, this really speaks to me. I definitely agreed with Mike on the film's action and place in pop culture, personally.

Hypnotoad

I haven't even watched Rogue One yet - it hits cinemas here today - but the Redlettermedia content about it has been more than entertaining. As far as reviews for big franchise movies go, they along with James Rolfe are the ones to follow. Don't have to agree with their opinions, but at least they don't fall victim to the hype and whatever special treatment from the industry that nerd podcasts hope for.

213372bu

Banned
I'm torn because I love this takedown of corny geek variety show stuff but god they're so, so mad people didn't like their Rogue One review and I really feel like they're digging the hole even deeper

I don't really see them as mad or digging the hole deeper.

The Plinkett response was just to get their thoughts clarified, but they've been pretty jovial about it the whole way through. People not understanding what is wrong seems more like a joke than something they're taking seriously.

Mike said:
I mean, people say to the military "Thank you for your service" and all that bullshit...that is crap.

Jay said:
I never understood why anyone would care about any of that shit until I saw Rogue One and now I have a greater appreciation for the sacrifices of fictional characters in science fiction films.

God damn it, that sounds so familiar...

the-most-insane-my-little-pony-deviantart-piece-12619-1326149843-1.jpg

Holy crap, that was absolutely hilarious. Having seen some of these movie podcast things they're parodying, this was absolutely gold.

Also, I don't really see how this is them being defensive. They tied their criticisms of Rogue One into their parody of Youtube movie channels perfectly, and considering its the biggest film at the moment, it felt relevant. The comparison to the Collider video posted earlier makes this feel even fresher. Their sarcastic takedown of Lootcrate was the icing on the cake.

Really, it kind of feels like whenever RLM does more than just a HitB on a movie (especially when their opinion of the film is contrary to public opinion), they get accused of being defensive. Neither one of their RO videos felt defensive at all; they were good natured and fun. The Plinkett review was just summarizing their main points from the 40 min HitB into a < 10 min video, and the follow-up felt like they were clarifying some of their points which needed to be cleared up (like even people in the GAF thread were misinterpreting his point about context), and this one is a pitch perfect satire of a ton of movie channels, just like their Rogue On Trailer Breakdown #6745 and their Ten Things You Didn't Know About Darth Vader's Suit: Extreme Clickbait was, and it felt like something they were planning for a while, and just used the most topical film they could find.

Really? I think they're rolling with it just fine. They're playing to their audience and their non-viewers at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom