• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

VicViper

Sorry, but I'm just not inclined to believe you aren't experiencing the issues that this TV clearly has. RGB separation can't be panel dependant as far as I know, it is something that is inherent to the TV/firmware. Just like light bleed. Every KS7000/8000 I've seen has it. What settings are you using on your PS4 pro that you aren't getting blackouts?

If you use YUV420 you won't have any black screens. Auto, however, does cause them. If you don't have the black screens, please share information about the HDMI cable you are using (specifics, because too many comments are so vague about what cable to use).

Auto settings for everything and I've been playing lots of Battlefield 1 lately with no problems whatsoever. Using the HDMI cable that came with the Pro.

EDIT: Just double-checked and my PS4 Pro display information indicates that the console is displaying 4K in RGB with HDR supported and HDCP 2.2 enabled.

I changed the cable to the 'HDMI 1' port and now it's working, 4k/60p/4:4:4. But now 'Game mode' and 'HDR mode' are greyed out in the viewing settings... But if I turn off 'HDMI UHD COLOR' setting it allows me to use 'Game mode' and 'HDR mode', but then the video signal goes away. This is crazy. Must be something about my receiver. I'm not using the KS8000 though, bought the cheaper KU6500.
I get similar issues on the ks8000 trough a pioneer sc-95 receiver. I've resigned to just using 4:2:0 on the pc for now. When I set it to 4:4:4 it seems to pass a signal, however it's actually blurrier than 4:2:0 for some reason.

On my receiver there's a setting you need to adjust from the receiver front panel when booting up the receiver by holding power and something else to enable 4:4:4 on the port. I had to do this for hdr to pass through. If you haven't done that give a quick look to your receiver manual.

I get similar issues on the ks8000 trough a pioneer sc-95 receiver. I've resigned to just using 4:2:0 on the pc for now. When I set it to 4:4:4 it seems to pass a signal, however it's actually blurrier than 4:2:0 for some reason.

On my receiver there's a setting you need to adjust from the receiver front panel when booting up the receiver by holding power and something else to enable 4:4:4 on the port. I had to do this for hdr to pass through. If you haven't done that give a quick look to your receiver manual.

on RGB/PC mode, default sharpness is 50, not 0. Make sure your sharpness is 50 when in 4:4:4, I think that will resolve the blurry issue.

RGB separation can't be panel dependant as far as I know, it is something that is inherent to the TV/firmware.

I've never seen the RGB separation issue (55KS8000) in my many hours of gaming on this set (PC/X1/PS4P/360/PS3/AVS). I've also never seen the black screens on PS4 Pro. I'm using an Amazon High-Speed USB cable from PS4P to my Onkyo 646 and then another to the TV from the receiver. I don't use auto settings at all, though. I have all my consoles set to RGB full range if possible and HDMI Black Level to "Normal" (Full Range) on the TV to match it. If the console doesn't support those settings then of course I change Black Level to Low (Standard range).

YouTube app: the interface kind of stacks all listed videos together on a single spot, and I have to scroll through them to the right to make them appear properly.
Not a big issue but I wonder if it happened to anyone else?
I also had the random signing out but only once.

It looks like the apps aren't properly closed when I quit them, am I right?
It just looks like my YouTube app stay opened in the background.

The YT app is buggy. A lot of us have seen these same issues. The apps run in the background if you just switch apps or back to an input. It's possible to force-close the app. I think you just hold the back button down until the app closes. This fixes the stacking issue but force-closing the app means you're at a greater chance to run into the signing out problem. Since the stacking problem is not a big deal, I just roll with it when it happens. I don't use the Samsung remote so someone correct me if I'm wrong. My cable/universal remote has an "Exit" button that force-closes the app instantly so I always use that if needed.

Link_enfant

I've never seen the RGB separation issue (55KS8000) in my many hours of gaming on this set (PC/X1/PS4P/360/PS3/AVS). I've also never seen the black screens on PS4 Pro. I'm using an Amazon High-Speed USB cable from PS4P to my Onkyo 646 and then another to the TV from the receiver. I don't use auto settings at all, though. I have all my consoles set to RGB full range if possible and HDMI Black Level to "Normal" (Full Range) on the TV to match it. If the console doesn't support those settings then of course I change Black Level to Low (Standard range).

Thanks for that info, I'll try to close the YouTube app with both remotes.
As for the RGB Range, I use Automatic on PS4 Pro (which sets it to Limited) and Auto on TV, which sets HDMI Black Level to Low so it matches. I used to do the same on my old set, but are there any benefits to use Full Range on PS4 Pro with this TV? Maybe regarding HDR?
Of course as long as the TV setting is properly set to Normal so it doesn't crush blacks.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Im getting RGB seperation every other day for about 1 sec then stops.

Happens 1 or 2 times in said every other day.

KS7000 UK 1154 firmware.

ss_lemonade

My PS3 constantly flashes on my ks9000, but only when enabling deep color. Seems to be related to my HDMI cable since the same cable has issues doing 4k hdr playback with my bluray player. As for my non pro PS4, only 1 of my hdmi cables works for it.

Basically, I only have 3 hdmi cables at the moment, all labeled as high speed and they all behave differently between my bluray player, ps4 and ps3. They either cause blackout flashes constantly every 1 to 2 seconds (my ps3 and one of the cables), flicker and show white artifact dots on screen (bluray player + only 4k hdr and one of the cables), or show nothing at all on screen (ps4 and 2 of the cables). The first few minutes with my new TV were basically a nightmare to get things running.

The RGB seperation bug seems to only happen for me when switching back and forth between hdr and non hdr and going back and forth between full and limited RGB. Not sure if its because of the 2 actions being done together, or if its from the TV losing source signal temporarily from switching settings. I was doing these a lot when comparing settings with final fantasy 15 and the bug would almost always appear for a split second in the process.

Thanks for that info, I'll try to close the YouTube app with both remotes.
As for the RGB Range, I use Automatic on PS4 Pro (which sets it to Limited) and Auto on TV, which sets HDMI Black Level to Low so it matches. I used to do the same on my old set, but are there any benefits to use Full Range on PS4 Pro with this TV? Maybe regarding HDR?
Of course as long as the TV setting is properly set to Normal so it doesn't crush blacks.
On my TV, PS4 limited and TV on limited/low never worked (despite reading that full - full and limited - limited should work). Both on auto would work fine though (as well as PS4 on full and TV on auto, and PS4 on full and TV on normal), as long as I didn't touch the PS4 rgb settings again because this seems to mess up the TV's auto detection mechanism

Simbo

Neo Member
Im getting RGB seperation every other day for about 1 sec then stops.

Happens 1 or 2 times in said every other day.

KS7000 UK 1154 firmware.

I'm on 1154 in the UK too. I had a single instance of RGB separation 2 days after I bought it but haven't had another one in 2 months.

Wondering if you could post your settings so we could compare?

krang

So a couple of pages ago I mentioned colour banding on my set in dark areas in movies. I could, at the time, put that down to not-so-hot quality movie encoding, or the fact that my receiver is connected to the main set top box via wifi.

However, I see this directly from my XB1S as well. At least, I think this is colour banding. I'm using the settings in the OP and using the HDMI cable that came with the Xbox. See below some images from the Elite menu:

gtdG7yw.jpg

And close up where it looks even more damning:

The bloom on the text is more that I've focussed on the dark areas than the set being too bright.

Is there something I've not set correctly at either end? Does anybody else see it this badly?

Simbo

Neo Member
So a couple of pages ago I mentioned colour banding on my set in dark areas in movies. I could, at the time, put that down to not-so-hot quality movie encoding, or the fact that my receiver is connected to the main set top box via wifi.

However, I see this directly from my XB1S as well. At least, I think this is colour banding. I'm using the settings in the OP and using the HDMI cable that came with the Xbox. See below some images from the Elite menu:

The bloom on the text is more that I've focussed on the dark areas than the set being too bright.

Is there something I've not set correctly at either end? Does anybody else see it this badly?

I get that on Xbox One S and also a little on Sky TV although nowhere near as bad. Dark areas look horrendous.

Still not sure exactly what causes it as blu-rays play perfectly and I don't see any banding in dark areas at all.

Heel

Are you set to 10bit color depth on Xbox One S, and HDMI UHD Color set to on for the input on the Samsung? Only things I can think of.

I get that on Xbox One S and also a little on Sky TV although nowhere near as bad. Dark areas look horrendous.

Still not sure exactly what causes it as blu-rays play perfectly and I don't see any banding in dark areas at all.

If the blurays play perfectly, then wouldnt it be a problem with whichever device youre using and not the tv?

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
I'm on 1154 in the UK too. I had a single instance of RGB separation 2 days after I bought it but haven't had another one in 2 months.

Wondering if you could post your settings so we could compare?

Will do. Im on Orig PS4. Wife using TV atm but will try and post tonight or early tomorrow.

krang

Are you set to 10bit color depth on Xbox One S, and HDMI UHD Color set to on for the input on the Samsung? Only things I can think of.

Tried it with both. It's not an HDR game anyway.

Exactly the same inputs as me. And pretty much the same results. I managed to reduce it quite significantly by reducing brightness and increasing backlight to compensate.

Maybe I need to try another cable.

I managed to reduce it quite significantly by reducing brightness and increasing backlight to compensate.

Maybe I need to try another cable.

That won't help.

Are you 100% sure this same area of the screen is a smooth gradient on some other TV?

It looks like you have brightness or gamma way too high. Brightness should be 45, Gamma 0, and make sure your HDMI Black level is set correctly for the XB1.

krang

That won't help.

Are you 100% sure this same area of the screen is a smooth gradient on some other TV?

It looks like you have brightness or gamma way too high. Brightness should be 45, Gamma 0, and make sure your HDMI Black level is set correctly for the XB1.

Those were my settings. I reduced the brightness down to 30 and it became a lot more palatable.

I'll try on another TV when I get the chance.

Wollan

Now that I know HDMI 2.1 is coming and that it will take 2-3 years (PS5 time) to come to full fruition I'm actually once again keen on picking up a KS8000.
I'm looking into buying a refurbished one for cheaper now.

VicViper

However, I see this directly from my XB1S as well. At least, I think this is colour banding. I'm using the settings in the OP and using the HDMI cable that came with the Xbox.

These are just compression artifacts from the game looping a background video in the menu, not a problem with the TV. Your brightness/contrast settings seem a little off, though. Or a limited/full RGB range mismatch.

krang

These are just compression artifacts from the game looping a background video in the menu, not a problem with the TV. Your brightness/contrast settings seem a little off, though. Or a limited/full RGB range mismatch.

Ah ok. That makes sense. It was certainly a lot more stark than I've seen in-game. I wouldn't even know where to begin with the RGB settings, though.

thuway

Any word on firmware upgrades to support HDR 10 Metadata or HDMI 2.1 support? It's CES, someone needs to ask the questions for us.

Belker

I've had that kind of banding in various games at different colour and brightness settings. I also see occasional 'ripples' on the screen. I think this might also be a panel issue.

Other -

More people seem to be posting in the colour separation thread on the Samsung forum. Would be good to keep that momentum up. I also tweeted Samsung UK about. Maybe folks here can do the same to Samsung US.

thuway

Isn't HMDI 2.1 a hardware iteration?
Official reports I believe said it could be upgraded on a manufacturer basis. Also the KS8000 has an external Box (Smart Hub) for processing. So even if it can't be upgraded they can offer an Evolution kit as they've done in the past.

The entire purpose of the Smart Hub was for specific instances just like this where users of prior televisions kept up with modern standards. The Panel in the KS8000 is more than capable of all the major announcements- so the ball is in Samsung's court to offer any upgrade paths.

Official reports I believe said it could be upgraded on a manufacturer basis. Also the KS8000 has an external Box for processing. So even if it can't be upgraded they can offer an Evolution kit as they've done in the past.

Huh! I didn't realize they'd done that in the past. That would be awesome.

thuway

Huh! I didn't realize they'd done that in the past. That would be awesome.
This is a much older model but they go by the name of Evolution Kits. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CILJB90/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Any way the worrying part is- Samsung supported 2014 models, but decided against Evolution Kits for 2015 models (JS8000). Reasoning was the panel in the 2015 model wasn't exactly as advanced as the 2016 SUHD Series.

This is why we are all waiting to see if Samsung does good by us. They've been bipolar about support in previous years. THE Silver lining is - the KS8000 might be their most popular set in years, so denying support might not be wise.

Anyway let's just hope a firmware upgrade can take care of most of this - I really don't want to sink more money and buy new hardware for a TV who will be obsoleted in the coming years by rising HDMI standards and Samsung's very own OLED killer - the Emissive QLED display that was rumored to show up this year but never did.

laxu

What do you think would be possible if the KS8000 was upgraded to HDMI 2.1? If the panel is actually 4K @ 120 Hz then could we expect support for that refresh rate? Because that would be really awesome.

Does the One Connect box actually do more than act as a breakout box for the connections? I suppose it could be replaced with one that has HDMI 2.1 compatible ports.

Shancake

Sorry, but I'm just not inclined to believe you aren't experiencing the issues that this TV clearly has. RGB separation can't be panel dependant as far as I know, it is something that is inherent to the TV/firmware. Just like light bleed. Every KS7000/8000 I've seen has it. What settings are you using on your PS4 pro that you aren't getting blackouts?

If you use YUV420 you won't have any black screens. Auto, however, does cause them. If you don't have the black screens, please share information about the HDMI cable you are using (specifics, because too many comments are so vague about what cable to use).

So I'm confused. Does having it in this setting lower the quality of picture? I'd hate to think that I got this TV for PS4 Pro and it doesn't even work properly. It's been an absolute nightmare.

Official reports I believe said it could be upgraded on a manufacturer basis. Also the KS8000 has an external Box (Smart Hub) for processing. So even if it can't be upgraded they can offer an Evolution kit as they've done in the past.

The entire purpose of the Smart Hub was for specific instances just like this where users of prior televisions kept up with modern standards. The Panel in the KS8000 is more than capable of all the major announcements- so the ball is in Samsung's court to offer any upgrade paths.

Do you mean the One Connect box? Because the Smart Hub I thought is the UI interface that's used to navigate apps and other functions of the TV.

Or am I wrong?

had it all the way through final fantassy XV. Kinda ruined the ending for me. Looked awful.
I put it down to the same having bad encoding cutscene. but then i youtubed the clip and its perfect..

So there's a problem somewhere.

Also i get the flash to black occasionally too.

Has anyone posted a video of this flash to black issue? I wanna see it since I myself haven't had it on my KS9000 (hope I don't jinx myself)

De_Marco

With my first KS9000 I didn´t have this issue, it was "perfect" with no clouding and no banding etc, but it looks almost the same with my exchanged set like on your pictures which annoys me to no end.

It´s like Simbo wrote some 50 pages ago: The better content you feed this TV the better it looks.

90% of HDTV, Blu Ray, 4k and most games look really brilliant, but I´ve never experienced such bad banding like this before and I am not sure if the panel is defective or if it is the same for everyone, I also tried every setting (no more DC on all sources btw :D )

I went through a very unfriendly and exhausting "replacement hell" with the store and with Samsung here in Germany and I really don´t want to experience that again. The last KS9000 (German 8090) had a smudge and a microfiber cloth completely ruined the coating. But it didn´t have any form of banding.

For testing purposes I recommend to launch the amazon app, I have severe banding there in the dark background aswell which wasn´t there with the old set. :(

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Does anyone else have problem with Spotify? I keep on clicking the song but nothing plays, i cant even force close the app. Fucking hate Samsung OS.

btw I cant even update the TV, when I go into setting. Update section is grayed out and says this function isnt available.

styl3s

Have you tried this one? https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005CWOTGM/

I got two of them it because of huge thread about HDMI cables on avsforums and they work perfectly. Don't go over the 5 meters though, only small amount of cables work with 4K 60Hz HDR at that length and 5 meters is basically cutoff point for that bandwidth (so far).
Ended up being the TV. Exchanged it for a 3rd panel the other day and it had more problem than the last 2 so i said fuck it, took the 3rd back and just used the money to do a new computer build.

To be honest the non stop constant problems aside i wasn't impressed with any available 4k streaming, UHD didn't impress me even on higher end players like OPPO that i borrowed from a friend and preferred the benifits of non-4k on pro. I plan on just getting a 4K gsync monitor sometime this year and a OLED 4K sometime in the future when i feel like the 4K content is there.

Thanks, will try the White Balance setting ASAP.
You also have Dynamic contrast on "high", I really think it looks better for PS4 games, but the loss of detail in movies is quite visible. But to my eyes the other DC settings look more washed out and brighten the picture more than "high". So I settled with DC on "high" for games for now.

Just a follow up. I got a K8500 Samsung 4K Blu Ray player and recalibrated my TV settings to The Revenant (which was otherwordly, massive jump). Dynamic Contrast had to go, and it improved IQ and naturalness on everything else too. I'll probably flip flop on wanting to use it in games, depending on the game tbh. I want catch-all settings that will apply to everything and never have to go into them ever again, but it looks like I'll have to settle for 90% of the time.

laxu

Does anyone else have problem with Spotify? I keep on clicking the song but nothing plays, i cant even force close the app. Fucking hate Samsung OS.

btw I cant even update the TV, when I go into setting. Update section is grayed out and says this function isnt available.

That sounds like network connection issues.

Rongolian

Banned
I am starting to wonder if there is a problem with the software in HDR mode aside from the backlights reverting in game mode. Try this > start HDR content (I used Amazon Grand Tour) > check that backlight is 20 (mine did by default) > adjust dynamic contrast

Mine was off but as I moved it higher the backlight became SIGNIFICANTLY brighter with each tick. I settled on "Medium" almost entirely because of the brightness. Does anyone have this with their set? Why is dynamic contrast effecting the backlight in HDR anode? It doesn't do this for SDR

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

I'm a complete AV newbie. There are so many different opinions in this thread alone on how to get this TV at its finest. I'm not sure where to start. I've got a PS4 pro (on order coming next week) an Xbox one s and Netflix/ amazon streaming (in Australia amazon just launched)

My issue is im not even knowing if I'm doing it right. It looks nice but my old tv was shit so anything will look nice.

1. How can I tell what resolution I'm streaming at? Is there a button? Or an option through YouTube, Netflix or amazon? I want to watch the grand tour as everyone says it looks lovely in HDR and 4k but I don't even know if it's getting above 1080 (looks nice and my internet should be good enough)

2. Will the Tv know if a program, show or whatever is HDR And turn it on or I have to flick that on? Is standard HDR settings enough or should I up the brightness as some have suggested?

3. With the Xbox one s and the PS4 pro soon, I know some Xbox games for example have HDR like forza horizon 3. Should I turn on game mode or HDR mode or how does this work?

Thanks guys :)

I am starting to wonder if there is a problem with the software in HDR mode aside from the backlights reverting in game mode. Try this > start HDR content (I used Amazon Grand Tour) > check that backlight is 20 (mine did by default) > adjust dynamic contrast

Mine was off but as I moved it higher the backlight became SIGNIFICANTLY brighter with each tick. I settled on "Medium" almost entirely because of the brightness. Does anyone have this with their set? Why is dynamic contrast effecting the backlight in HDR anode? It doesn't do this for SDR

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

My backlight is always at 20, but I still get a subsequently brighter image for each level of Dynamic Contrast.

I love the pop of High, and Medium seems like it retains a natural color range better, but Off is the only way I get full clarity and color and black range on 4K blurays and the best IQ I can for most games. High crushes blacks, sometimes blurs details, and will render something like fire effects with noticeable less range (very discernible on Batman Vs Superman's opening Metropolis destruction scene).

The trade off is that it seems less bright and punchy. The best of both worlds would be nice, and anything possible is welcome. I feel like I should be able to increase backlight intensity to what High displays, but still retain the black levels, color range and detail of Off. Of course, if black range is created by screen brightness, full backlight might always cut into that, and if color range benefits from not having the low end raised up to accommodate the high end, it may be unavoidable for where/when we bought into 4K.

Sorry I keep referencing movies in a gaming focused thread, but this is all new territory for me and calibrating for both is what's been helping me nail things down and notice what the same drawbacks.

Top Bottom