• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

mega man universe - new videos + interview reveals: only content = remade mm2 stages

jarosh

http://www.capcom-unity.com/jgonzo/...r_interview_with_mega_man_universes_akiko_ito

Akiko Ito said:
So, we will have some preloaded stages, and what they are going to be are all the levels from Mega Man 2. So the original classic Mega Man 2 will be faithfully replicated in the Mega Man Universe style. Users will be able to play through all of them and defeat the bosses there. As for the story, right now we haven’t worked out all the details, but some of the characters may get some sort of background to explain why they are there or what their purpose is. Some of them may not, and they will just be there for fun. We can’t reveal too much, but eventually we may have downloadable content that explains why Ryu is in the world. We hope that people will look forward to new content that will tie together the world.
ouch

and here's a bunch of new videos. they were released yesterday. but no one cared about them enough to make a new thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B5YLyNW48s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPG3IAoaNhg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVlZ0WcRafA

they mostly show off the level and character creator etc. guess that's what the game is all about, as there's practically no true new content.

:/

edit: well so much for that. i was a few minutes late. lock her then.

edit 2: although my thread is superior because it has the new videos too and i have a more sensationalist thread title

A bit disappointing about no proper new content, then it is safer to wait until fans make great levels before purchasing it. The trickiness will be how integrated the levels are, so it feels like a proper Mega Man game with stage select and bosses (which is doubtful). It would be the greatest thing if you could make custom music and boss designs from different sets.

Dali

I vote for your thread to survive. That'll teach people not to just crap out anything and call it an OP just to be the first to post some bit of news.

On topic: This didn't look that hot after the initial reveal to me... and it seems to be holding me at a steady "meh" level of excitement. The fact that's one of the worst renditions of the Wily level music from MM2 doesn't help its case.

udivision

The Megaman Logo in the video reminds me of the Heroman logo.

EDIT: When are they going to reveal that thing that makes it a PS360 only game?

i love how this game looks and behaves, this will be my reason to finally get an xbox 360.

for shame capcom, you could have released it on wii and get no bitching from graphic fanbaboons

AColdDay

wrowa said:
I still can't believe how awful the game looks.

NO KIDDING!

Would it have killed them to make some sprites? How did sprites become so fucking expensive? Argh, I was hoping for something prettier than this, but I still think the game could be a lot of fun.

I've never been so disappointed by a classic Mega Man game. It doesn't help that I'm not into these "make your own content" games, or that the art style is terrible.

I will buy this to support Mega Man, but I'm not going to be happy about it.

wrowa

sonikokaruto said:
for shame capcom, you could have released it on wii and get no bitching from graphic fanbaboons
No. "Bad Art" is always the victim of bashing. Rightfully so.

Mega Man 2 is the greatest one, so I love it. Its going to be all about user content anyway, the MM2 stages saves a lot of people the trouble of recreating it.

Cmagus

meh if it plays like Megaman then I'm good for it.The art style of some of the characters really seem like they are out of Wario ware like the menu characters

kiryogi

Banned
Yeah I would have rather had Rockman Rockman 2 over this. So what we have here is Wario Ware DIY/Bangaio Spirits. Super meh.

This is a really strange project that even as Mega Man fan I have little to no interest in. The market for this is going to be very small I think.

Cmagus

i dunno I wouldn't mind building some levels and if your able to share could be great.I liked little big planet but making stuff in that felt like such a large commitment this looks like simple and quick

apana

I dont really understand why Capcom makes so many strange decisions regarding mega man. These days a 2D game doesnt have to look horrible in order to make people feel nostalgic or whatever effect their trying to go for.

Cmagus

Well when is it coming out? I mean there is still time to add some sprite stuff I mean it would be cool if they included a full roster from the previous games sprite wise

This game didn't turn out to be what I expected at all. Hope what we're seeing is early pre-alpha footage and that the game gets a complete graphical overhaul as well as something new gameplay-wise. Either that or a low, low price tag..

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Why do so many people complain about the level creation aspect? You don't have to create any content whatsoever to enjoy the product. Just reap the fruits of those more talented/dedicated than you. Like LBP, or even Youtube.

That said, the art direction is horrendous from top to bottom. What the fuck were they thinking?

Bebpo

Banned
Catalix said:
Why do so many people complain about the level creation aspect? You don't have to create any content whatsoever to enjoy the product. Just reap the fruits of those more talented/dedicated than you. Like LBP, or even Youtube.

Depends how "public" the sharing is.

If it's "you can only play levels by people on your friendslist" like N+, Trials HD, Joe Danger. Well then you're not going to be playing many levels!

DemiMatt

The Lamonster said:
wow this looks terrible!

hyp5Fsonic-1-1-1.gif

feel my rageeeeeeeeee!!!!

But yeah, looks really bad and very meh. I really hope its like 20 bucks at most...

I am a die hard mega man fan but man, this just does not seem worth it. Technically witht he paintball guns in LBP u can already do this. . .

G-Fex

I like to make levels, I'd really like to make megaman levels. But this is ugly.

Very ugly.

NES graphics look better.

Don't we deserve better?

lyre

It's ironic that jarosh likely put far more effort into his Mega Man product in Warioware: DIY than whoever made this thing (much better art too).

I do think the horrendous visuals are somewhat helped by the potential coolness of the level editor. I'll try to withhold too much judgment until I have it in hand.

That said, I wish they hadn't made Mega Man so gangly-looking.

[Nintex]

Ugh, looks like a glorified Super Smash Bros. Brawl editor strapped to a Mega Man 2 rom hack. No wonder Capcom is sinking like a rock, Inafune has gone mental. Up next: Resident Evil 6 by High-Voltage Software.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
eXistor said:
Why on earth did they use 3d graphics...I was fully expecting sprites.

Because having a customization system for a sprite is harder than for a polygonal model.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Toastyfrog says it doesn't play right, at the moment. I trust Toastyfrog with this sort of thing. Hopefully they can get that sorted out.
That's not a good thing to hear. With a game like this they better make it feel right or else what's the fucking point?

duckroll

thetrin said:
Because having a customization system for a sprite is harder than for a polygonal model.

Depends on the level of detail. What we've seen so far of MMU doesn't really suggest to me that it would be incredibly hard to do in sprites. It's not unusual for 2D games to have sprite parts for each portion of the character, and then have them be interchangable. If the player can toggle the head/body/arms/legs/weapon of the character, that's more than enough.

Top Bottom