• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

mega man universe - new videos + interview reveals: only content = remade mm2 stages

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
duckroll said:
Depends on the level of detail. What we've seen so far of MMU doesn't really suggest to me that it would be incredibly hard to do in sprites. It's not unusual for 2D games to have sprite parts for each portion of the character, and then have them be interchangable. If the player can toggle the head/body/arms/legs/weapon of the character, that's more than enough.

Not incredibly hard, but infinitely easier with models. With the amount of work it looks like they're putting into this (which doesn't seem like much), I wouldn't say they're willing to put out quality sprites with interchangeable parts.

Bebpo

Banned
Nothing wrong with 3d.

Power Up was 3d and it looked and played fine. This is just a crappy game at work.

duckroll

thetrin said:
Not incredibly hard, but infinitely easier with models. With the amount of work it looks like they're putting into this (which doesn't seem like much), I wouldn't say they're willing to put out quality sprites with interchangeable parts.

Right, but I'm just pointing out that it's more of a lack of effort, as opposed to it being significantly much harder, if the team was actually interested in putting in a solid effort.

Glix

It's amazing that a "Mega Man Game Generator" is coming out with all kinds of customization, and cameos from other Capcom properties....

and it looks so sucky.

This boggles my mind. This game could be so good, if done right. I'm holding out some hope...

jarosh

duckroll said:
Right, but I'm just pointing out that it's more of a lack of effort, as opposed to it being significantly much harder, if the team was actually interested in putting in a solid effort.
it absolutely is a lack of effort, yes. as i've previously pointed out: some of the tiles are actually clearly upscaled from a lower resolution (possibly using the 8-bit ones as templates) and several sets of tiles have been drawn with a conflicting angle/perspective; some ceiling tiles have added fake extrusion that doesn't match the flatness of the rest of the tiles and then there are some tiles that look like pre-rendered 3d models, clashing yet again with the style of the nearby tiles etc... it's just a gigantic mixed bag, there is no consistency whatsoever.

KiNeSiS

Banned
Bebpo said:
Nothing wrong with 3d.

Power Up was 3d and it looked and played fine. This is just a crappy game at work.

Come on!
MM Powered up had a shit aesthetic.
Great game mediocre from an artistic standpoint.
Leave that Chibi shit out of Mega Man. j/k
That wasn't the problem I actually liked that style.
The problem much like MM Universe has to do with the tiles themselves. They look so cheap. It's like platforming on legos.
Also why are the avatar characters 3-d models & the enimies 8 bit 2-d sprite rips?

I'm really not feeling the same level of hate. The only thing worrying to me are the controls, sounds like Wily Wars, being stiff like that. REALLY hope they fix that. That and maybe the news that this will be just a glorified "toy" (ie no pre-made content outside a fully playable MM2). If this is going to be 50 dollars without DLC like Wii Music. No way I'm buying it with what Im seeing so far. If it's 10 dollars with 5 dollar addon packs (for other Mega Man games) I'm totally game.

BTW: Capcom revealed Japanese children's character Gachapin as a playable character. There's a section on the official site called "Tie-ups". I guess they really are going after LBP and having characters outside even Capcom playable? But it could be just a Japanese-only quirk.

jarosh

Choppasmith said:
I'm really not feeling the same level of hate. The only thing worrying to me are the controls, sounds like Wily Wars, being stiff like that.
wily wars controlled fine. the physics were the same as in the originals. it was just a tiny bit slower and the only really puzzling decision they made in regards to control was the quick step+stop delay before mega man starts walking. that was definitely annoying, as mega man usually starts walking immediately once you press left or right.

either way, it would really surprise me if they screwed up the controls. although at this point i wouldn't put it past them.

[Nintex]

jarosh said:
either way, it would really surprise me if they screwed up the controls. although at this point i wouldn't put it past them.
There's a rumor that gamers in the west prefer analog sticks to D-pads and shoulder buttons to face buttons. I don't know... a Mega Man game controlled with the shoulder buttons and analog sticks seems like the route Inafune would take.

duckroll

[Nintex] said:
There's a rumor that gamers in the west prefer analog sticks to D-pads and shoulder buttons to face buttons. I don't know... a Mega Man game controlled with the shoulder buttons and analog sticks seems like the route Inafune would take.

Yup, MML3DS will be a third person shooter with analog controls and aiming, with shoulder buttons for shoot and jump.

So they had this game playable at NY Comic Con this weekend, and I was really excited to try it out. They had one station for 360 and one for PS3, I was playing on PS3. You could choose five different Mega Mans, each with different characteristics and set of special weapons. The level you played also differed depending on which character you chose.

I chose Air Man which was still Mega Man's head on Air Man's body. His normal buster was fast but weak, and had a low jump rating compared to the others.

Anyway I'll get to the point, the controls in this game feel way off. In a Mega Man game, the first thing I look for is tight, responsive controls, and this game just felt wrong. There seemed to be some sort of lag/delay when starting to move or jump. This was extremely disturbing to me and really hurt my interest in the game. Also my friend managed to jump through a moving platform even though the character was clearly on it.

The levels were very loosely based on Mega Man 2 levels, really to the point of having completely different designs.

MoxManiac

man i heard crash man's music and all i could think of was that music video with gay crashman talking about how he wants to get with megaman

Scythesurge said:
Anyway I'll get to the point, the controls in this game feel way off. In a Mega Man game, the first thing I look for is tight, responsive controls, and this game just felt wrong. There seemed to be some sort of lag/delay when starting to move or jump. This was extremely disturbing to me and really hurt my interest in the game. Also my friend managed to jump through a moving platform even though the character was clearly on it.

I have to second this opinion. It seemed like the collision followed the 2d games, but the 3d model didn't quite match up to the hit box. Several times I walked off a cliff trying to inch closer to the edge.

bounchfx

Scythesurge said:
Anyway I'll get to the point, the controls in this game feel way off. In a Mega Man game, the first thing I look for is tight, responsive controls, and this game just felt wrong. There seemed to be some sort of lag/delay when starting to move or jump. This was extremely disturbing to me and really hurt my interest in the game. .

ugh, that's disappointing to hear. this was my exact problem with NSMB Wii. Didn't feel like Mario. I still got it, and it's obviously a very well made game, but it didn't feel like mario speed/physics wise. really bothered me.

This MM game has so much potential that it's a shame if it doesn't turn out good.

bounchfx said:
ugh, that's disappointing to hear. this was my exact problem with NSMB Wii. Didn't feel like Mario. I still got it, and it's obviously a very well made game, but it didn't feel like mario speed/physics wise. really bothered me.

This MM game has so much potential that it's a shame if it doesn't turn out good.
It's funny you say that about NSMBWii, because I thought that it came much closer to the classic Mario feel than NSMB on the DS did.

Haunted

ninj4junpei said:
So is this going to be like $5?
It's PSN/XBLA, so I'd guess 15$ or 20$?

MoxManiac said:
man i heard crash man's music and all i could think of was that music video with gay crashman talking about how he wants to get with megaman
Hyadain songs are catchy as fuck.

randomwab

MoxManiac said:

Same thing happened to me. I had to go watch the video again. :lol

Forkball

It's amazing how they took an idea everyone likes in theory (create your own Mega Man stages) and completely ruined it.

Top Bottom