• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ted Nugent and Bill Maher Come Together on ‘No Violence’ in Political Debates Pledge

It was horrible. One of his low points. But that doesn't erase the hundreds of hours of good and informative shit on the panels and other interviews. And yeah, he says dumb shit trying to be funny every now and then but the idea that he's not an ally to liberals is insane.

What does he actually do besides making liberals unaffected by the bigots he props up laugh?

Like during the N word thing I was raked over the coals for saying I didn't believe he personally was a racist person, he just said a racist thing and that there's a huge distinction between that and having truly malicious intent.

That's probably because there is often too much latitude given for the definition of 'racist person' and too much actual overlap between that and 'person who says racist things.' Given that, it is not hard to view the intent angle as at best deflection and at worst unhelpful navel gazing. The damage done when originating from either theoretical column is felt acutely regardless. And if that is the argument you want to grind yourself against, it pays to extremely precisely establish what you mean by both terms and make sure you aren't rhyming your prose with the same bullshit we all hear on social media that is indistinguishable from naked caping for harmful racism. The other side of the debate has very likely endured plenty of racist abuse and I'm not about to harangue them by saying they're confused by the nuance you try to bring to such a discussion.

MUnited83

For you.
Well, traditional Democrats were slave owners who said that word, so maybe he is one... but honestly I should have compared him to a 20th century "progressive" or something.

Bill Maher is the same guy who said the 9/11 terrorists weren't cowards even though they killed 3,000+ innocents. His American celebrity should have ended 16 years ago but he created an empire on HBO during the Bush / Obama years, shitting on the former and praising the latter.

He got a pass from the left all this time but now he doesn't fit into their political agenda because he's not anti-right enough, so he's labeled a "friend of the enemy."

But a Republican he is not.
He's not an "ally" either. He is a piece of shit that cares only about himself and nobody else.

Loudninja

The whole point of why Maher is bringing him on is because Nugent has recently brought up a change in thought, in regards to the extreme and hateful views that he spreads. It's always a positive when someone with millions of followers has a more reasonable point of view.
You honesty believe this?

Ted Nugent is and awful person no one like that changes that quick.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Everyone likes to act they have no clue why Maher does what he does and how every time he does something the left (GAF) is just done with him. But this is like three or four threads in a row now about him that pull 10+ pages of comments, here alone. To say nothing of his omnipresence on social media with liberals all taking turns dressing him down in the comment section or on Facebook.

He's gonna keep doing this shit because it turns heads. It really has nothing to do with him being liberal or not.

If you can't stand him that's fine. But his job it seems is to drive viewers and he's doing a pretty good job of it, despite dropping slurs and being his normal prick self.

L Thammy

No we haven't. I can't count the number of times I've tried to have a thought out conversation about him and his show only to get "what's wrong with you?" or equivalent total dismissal not even addressing what I'm saying. Like during the N word thing I was raked over the coals for saying I didn't believe he personally was a racist person, he just said a racist thing and that there's a huge distinction between that and having truly malicious intent.

It never goes anywhere.

For one thing. Looking at that conversation now, people disagreed with you and you were having a discussion, and then you randomly responded with "Are you trying to say that being a fan of Maher is now bannable?" when nobody said anything about anybody being banned. I don't know what being raked over the coals means to you, but part of it might just be that you have trouble with people disagreeing with you. Maybe I haven't read far enough; I just scanned through a few pages.

Second. Why does intent even matter? Maher has used "but I'm fighting racism" as a defense for both him and Sarah Silverman using racial slurs, to defend against people who are actually members of the group that the slurs are meant to denigrate. I don't think he's wearing a Klan hood in private, but I think it's quite likely that he doesn't really care about the issues he wants people to think, and revels on some level at being able to get away with things because he's on the right side.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Well, traditional Democrats were slave owners who said that word, so maybe he is one... but honestly I should have compared him to a 20th century "progressive" or something.

Bill Maher is the same guy who said the 9/11 terrorists weren't cowards even though they killed 3,000+ innocents. His American celebrity should have ended 16 years ago but he created an empire on HBO during the Bush / Obama years, shitting on the former and praising the latter.

He got a pass from the left all this time but now he doesn't fit into their political agenda because he's not anti-right enough, so he's labeled a "friend of the enemy."

They were all slave owners. What do you really want to say? Both sides?

The whole point of why Maher is bringing him on is because Nugent has recently brought up a change in thought, in regards to the extreme and hateful views that he spreads. It's always a positive when someone with millions of followers has a more reasonable point of view.
Do you not find it a bit odd that Nugent, Beck and several other people who spent years fostering fear, hatred and promoting violence are now 'let's be chill' once the black man is out of the office and their 'guy' is in office?

Because I think that's some bullshit.

Again, as I've stated before in this very thread, I hope ted is changing but I won't give him the benefit of the doubt. And why all of a sudden is he changing his views after saying horribly racist things about Obama? If he really is gonna change, he needs to take action, not put out a weak ass statement saying nothing, really.

"I’m not backing down jack squat,” he said, but was taking action “so some idiot doesn’t misinterpret that I’m recommending violence.”

That doesn't sound too positive does it?

So which is it? Is he changing, or "not backing down jack squat" ?

Ekai

This is so far from the truth its laughable. When he has conservatives on his show he calls them out on bullshit all the time, even has panelists there to help him with it. Of course he doesnt spend the entire hour trying to nail down the conservative on a single issue because he has a whole weeks worth of stuff he wants to get to. So what happens is Bill brings up a topic, republican says something dumb, Bill calls him out on it and then the democratic panelists chime in, republican gets the last word and says something dumb, and then Bill has to move to another topic. This isnt a John Oliver style show where he rants and raves, calling people out of their names, and then doesnt have to let anyone else get a word in.

I mean, this isn't at all what happened when he let Milo claim people like me are sexual deviants who prey on women and children and often perpetuate sexual violence......the first is a right-wing bs talking point and the second is literally the opposite of the truth.

I used to like Maher but after all the transphobia, racism and Islamophobia he's had on display recently, dude has lost all respect from me.

Ogodei

You honesty believe this?

Ted Nugent is and awful person no one like that changes that quick.

Is certainly possible to have a come to Jesus moment and realize you need to change, but for Ted, that would start with repudiating political violence on the right as a proof of sincerity.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
find out what happens when it airs?

Will Ted Nugent get on his hands and knee's crying his eyes out and before the entire nation say he is a disgusting terrible individual who said all manner of disgusting and terrible things? Will he say that he'll be a vital ally to the left and support groups like BLM with an open mind? Will he put his money where his mouth is and donate to all those different groups he disparaged so much? Will he meet Obama and Hillary in public and apologize to them directly and wish for their forgiveness?

Nugent has a lot of things to do before anyone even comes close to forgiving and going on Bill Maher is so far from one of those things its on a whole different planet.

Chumley

Banned
For one thing. Looking at that conversation now, people disagreed with you and you were having a discussion, and then you randomly responded with "Are you trying to say that being a fan of Maher is now bannable?" when nobody said anything about anybody being banned. I don't know what being raked over the coals means to you, but part of it might just be that you have trouble with people disagreeing with you. Maybe I haven't read far enough; I just scanned through a few pages.

Second. Why does intent even matter? Maher has used "but I'm fighting racism" as a defense for both him and Sarah Silverman using racial slurs, to defend against people who are actually members of the group that the slurs are meant to denigrate. I don't think he's wearing a Klan hood in private, but I think it's quite likely that he doesn't really care about the issues he claims to, and revels on some level at being able to get away with things because he's on the right side.

I said that because the tone was becoming, in my view, so deeply against Maher I legitimately wanted to know. I've seen mods make some blanket statements about anyone who still likes his show.

And to the second part, I think intent matters if we're assessing who he is deep down when the show isn't on. There's a difference IMO between people like my Mom who used to call black people colored people, just out of carelessness in old age and an upbringing in Brooklyn, and someone who genuinely doesn't care to learn that it's not cool to say that. I think Maher isn't too old to change and realize he made a mistake there. I realize people here don't think he deserves that benefit of the doubt, but I disagree.

Mael

Will Ted Nugent get on his hands and knee's crying his eyes out and before the entire nation say he is a disgusting terrible individual who said all manner of disgusting and terrible things? Will he say that he'll be a vital ally to the left and support groups like BLM with an open mind? Will he put his money where his mouth is and donate to all those different groups he disparaged so much? Will he meet Obama and Hillary in public and apologize to them directly and wish for their forgiveness?

Nugent has a lot of things to do before anyone even comes close to forgiving and going on Bill Maher is so far from one of those things its on a whole different planet.

Nah, the Left is tolerant so they will forgive him and if he is disparaged in even a small minor way by anyone with a reach of more than 10 fb friends it's proof that the libruls snowflakes can't take the truth..

Enzom21

People believing both sides are the same and being unable to see that although someone may differ in certain issues they could still be on your side definitely contributed to Trump winning. Believing Ted Nugent and Bill Maher are on the same side of the coin is just flat out absurd.
How did it contribute? So people will completely change their political beliefs because people aren't nice to them? What do you think was a bigger factor in Trump being elected, racism or hurt feelings?

Yes yes, democrats used to be the party of racists and republicans freed the slaves. Hey so when the democrats became progressives, which party did the racists join?

How did it contribute? So people will completely change their political beliefs because people aren't nice to them? What do you think was a bigger factor in Trump being elected, racism or hurt feelings?

When you create an environment where it's OK to believe both sides are the same without challenge it opens up the door for people to believe that Trump winning isn't that bad because hey Hillary is just as bad right. An environment where people can respectfully vote for a racist/sexist/etc. because the other side is just as bad because of "reasons" does lead to a Trump gaining votes. I heard the shit damn near every day just being out and about.

They'll be addressing instances of real and theoretical violence perpetrated by the Right as well, right?

... Right?

Can you give me some? Not because I doubt you, but because I've seen it suggested far too much that only democrats are enacting violence.

L Thammy

I said that because the tone was becoming, in my view, so deeply against Maher I legitimately wanted to know. I've seen mods make some blanket statements about anyone who still likes his show.

And to the second part, I think intent matters if we're assessing who he is deep down when the show isn't on. There's a difference IMO between people like my Mom who used to call black people colored people, just out of carelessness in old age and an upbringing in Brooklyn, and someone who genuinely doesn't care to learn that it's not cool to say that. I think Maher isn't too old to change and realize he made a mistake there. I realize people here don't think he deserves that benefit of the doubt, but I disagree.

Would your mother continue to call black people "coloured people" if they told her that it made them uncomfortable? Does she not know any better or does she not care? That's a more important distinction in my mind.

The thing is, you had Ice Cube telling Maher how he felt when he hears him making black jokes. Maher instead rushed to "but I'm fighting racism" to defend himself. That's his first instinct. If racism was actually a concern of his, you think that he'd be concerned with the thoughts and feelings of minorities, but his first instinct is to shut them down.

LycanXIII

bill-and-ted-bogus-journey-drinking-game-590x225.jpg

MUnited83

For you.
Can you give me some? Not because I doubt you, but because I've seen it suggested far too much that only democrats are enacting violence.
The alt-right fuckhead that murdered two people in a train and wounded another. Or the the dude that shot up a Planned Parenthood. Or a /the_d dumbass shooting up a pizzeria.

Enzom21

When you create an environment where it's OK to believe both sides are the same without challenge it opens up the door for people to believe that Trump winning isn't that bad because hey Hillary is just as bad right. An environment where people can respectfully vote for a racist/sexist/etc. because the other side is just as bad because of "reasons" does lead to a Trump gaining votes. I heard the shit damn near every day just being out and about.
I'll ask again. What contributed to Trump's win more, racism or hurt feelings?
People saying Hilary is the same as Trump isn't remotely the same as Bill and Ted being two sides of the same coin.
Bill and Ted share similarities(both like to use nigger). Did Hilary run on the same racism Trump did?

Mael

The alt-right fuckhead that murdered two people in a train and wounded another. Or the the dude that shot up a Planned Parenthood. Or a /the_d dumbass shooting up a pizzeria.

I'd bet he's willing to have Brevvik on his show for a more international flair...

III-V

you win.

It is somewhat amazing how the narrative has turned from the fucking scary and violent right into all the crazies are leftist. BM is really jumping on a trump organized bandwagon here, with someone that has spun hateful and dangerous rhetoric for years.

Get the fuck outta here with that shit.

The anti Maher stuff on this forum is full blown tribalism at this point. Impossible to have an honest discussion about his show or about the idea of not ignoring the opposition.

Well by all means go ahead and let's see where it goes.

We've had plenty of them though

Carcetti

Maher should just come out of the liberal closet for good so he can hang out with Nugent, Milo, Malkin, Trump etc. without the pretense.

Valhelm

contribute something
you win.

It is somewhat amazing how the narrative has turned from the fucking scary and violent right into all the crazies are leftist. BM is really jumping on a trump organized bandwagon here, with somewhat that has spun hateful and dangerous rhetoric for years.

Get the fuck outta here with that shit.

For sure. No Democrat should acknowledge the myth of "leftist violence", because this plays into the hands of the most horrifying sectors of the conservative movement.

It was horrible. One of his low points. But that doesn't erase the hundreds of hours of good and informative shit on the panels and other interviews. And yeah, he says dumb shit trying to be funny every now and then but the idea that he's not an ally to liberals is insane.

He brags about helping and wanting to continue to help the careers of professional bigots like Coulter, Conway and now Milo.

He's proud of them having more of a career because of him.

Griffin & Caesar = Bad
Milo & Nugent = Good

Aahahahahahaahahhaahha ooooookay Bill at least you're being honest with yourself now.

"Goes too far". Bill fucking Maher. What in the world you are THE edgy guy that defends antagonistic shits on the right for free speech.

Chumley

Banned
Jesus Christ.

Wow. Is this community really this far gone? For real?

Like I said. Tribalism. With us or against us, etc.

He brags about helping and wanting to continue to help the careers of professional bigots like Coulter, Conway and now Milo.

He's proud of them having more of a career because of him.

I'm pretty sure he didn't say that and the context was at least slightly different than a blanket "Hey, I'm really glad Coulter and Conway and Milo have a career because of me!"

This is my point with it being impossible to have an honest conversation about him. It's a "bitch eating crackers" thing with every single statement he's ever made combined with changing or removing context to fit the "Maher isn't a real liberal" narrative.

Carcetti

Jesus Christ.

Wow. Is this community really this far gone? For real?

He's a piece of shit. Just look back at stuff like his trans commentary? Total fucker.

Oh, almost forgot the rest: he's anti science and anti vaccine too. Plus AIDS conspiracy supporter. He'd fit right in with the wingnut crowd.

Mael

Maybe instead of crying over tribalism you could explain why Milo, Conway & co having a lucrative career is a good thing?

Cool. I don't mind this, we really need to stop putting violence in politics. It's a one small step that I hope becomes a giant leap. One guy is in critical condition due to a political shooting, and others could've died. Tribalism is bad and we need to stop being extreme (BOTH sides).

The other guys who died before, well fuck'em?
They're not real people, I mean doctors at an abortion clinic? They're really monsters.

Cool. I don't mind this, we really need to stop putting violence in politics. It's a one small step that I hope becomes a giant leap. One guy is in critical condition due to a political shooting, and others could've died. Tribalism is bad and we need to stop being extreme (BOTH sides).

MUnited83

For you.
Hundreds and thousands have been savagely murdered because of right-wing rethoric. They don't give a shit about anyone but themselves and they will be back to their usual bullshit in no time.
The fact that it took them to be specifically targeted to start giving a fuck tells you everything you need to know. They won't come out like this next time a right wing gun nut goes on a rampage again.

Top Bottom