• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ted Nugent and Bill Maher Come Together on ‘No Violence’ in Political Debates Pledge

L Thammy

BUT

What if they are all having a very real, very sudden change of heart an really really want to better themselves as people? You're not going to take away their frozen peaches on the tv like a trash person, are you??

I mean, he supposedly got this "change of heart" from talking to his wife, who was arrested for bringing a gun into an airport. I'd have to think she has a few things in common with her NRA supporting husband.

EDIT: Oh god, I missed the second sentence and thought this was serious. Poe's law is destroying me.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Incase people forgot, Ted nugent, as he was making this statements about 'being done with hate', basically said the left misinterpreted what he was saying because they were so hateful.

If you don't think this is nothing but a dodge, your super naive as hell

theWB27

Basically people arguing for the left to be doormats.

And for us minorities to accept a racist because he said some shit that's not even remotely his creed.

Foffy

Banned
He wanted to adopt a 17 year old so they could travel together so he could have sex with her. He wrote a song about sexing a 14 year old.

But yea, hes said some violent shit in the past as well. He's also said some foul racist shit about obama.

msl6h99.gif

Wow.

Nepenthe

Incase people forgot, Ted nugent, as he was making this statements about 'being done with hate', basically said the left misinterpreted what he was saying because they were so hateful.

If you don't think this is nothing but a dodge, your super naive as hell

He also called us enemies in the same statement where he advocated "toning down the rhetoric."

This is like the cycle of physical abuse or something with progressives, I swear.

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
I'm choosing not to believe statements that are blatantly disingenuous and empty. Critical thinking, it's a thing.
What does belied have to do with it? I'm not cheer leading when I agree with a statement. When he contradicts his statements, I will rightly oppose him.

Why would you attack him for saying something positive that he will likely later contradict? The positive statement is still a positive statement.

Nepenthe

What does belied have to do with it? I'm not cheer leading when I agree with a statement. When he contradicts his statements, I will rightly oppose him.

Why would you attack him for saying something positive that he will likely later contradict? The positive statement is still a positive statement.

The same reason we tell people who are battered by their partners not to get swept up in the apologies of the abuser.

I think people expecting an apology or for Ted Nugent to change his views, or that Bill Maher and him are some kind of team are looking for something that's not there.

Bill Maher read Nugent's latest comments on his show, surprised that Ted Nugent of all people, somebody he had written off completely, would come out and say some sane, conciliatory things and that he'd no longer use hateful rhetoric. Bill then said "you have to start somewhere" and that he'd like to have him on the show.

Beyond that we'll have to see.

Mahonay

Banned

Ted Nugent deserves to be attacked because he is a white supremacist. Period. Fuck him.

Enzom21

remember that ted nugent is full of shit

Following Thursday's radio interview, the rock guitarist went live on a Facebook video to continue explaining his decision.

“I'm not backing down jack squat,” he said, but was taking action “so some idiot doesn't misinterpret that I'm recommending violence.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-the-hateful-rhetoric/?utm_term=.ed4054f7bbcc
This is a contradiction of his original statement. What do you think he is not backing down from?

Slayven

I think people expecting an apology or for Ted Nugent to change his views, or that Bill Maher and him are some kind of team are looking for something that's not there.

Bill Maher read Nugent's latest comments on his show, surprised that Ted Nugent of all poeple, somebody he had written off completely, would come out and say some sane, conciliatory things and that he'd no longer use hateful rhetoric. Bill then said "you have to start somewhere" and that he'd like to have him on the show.

Beyond that we'll have to see.

I don't think Bill Maher is that forward thinking or benevolent. He damn well hasn't shown that in the past

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

If Hitler said we all needed to love one another in peace and harmony his history of the exact opposite would render his words hollow, disingenuous and down right insulting. Much the same a huge open and proud racist who espouses all manner of vile shit including wanting to murder several presidents says we should all be less aggressive with the rhetoric it comes off as pure bull shit. How do you not see the obvious?

You operate in a statement vacuum.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
He also called us enemies in the same statement where he advocated "toning down the rhetoric."

This is like the cycle of physical abuse or something with progressives, I swear.

If it was just the far right wing like Ted here disingenuously blaming progressives to keep their narratives going, i would atleast understand their partisan hackery, but reality is never so simple i guess

We have people who proclaim to be leftists who are just as damaging to the progressive cause making shitty arguments to further their own viewpoints. Case in point being Bill Maher and Sam Harris using extremist rhetoric and then doubling down on "damn PC police, why can't i hate Muslims and other religions or ethnic groups without you making a fuss?"

BUT

What if they are all having a very real, very sudden change of heart an really really want to better themselves as people? You're not going to take away their frozen peaches on the tv like a trash person, are you??
Why tho?

Why are they suddenly so interested peace and unifying after spending years attacking and demonizing the left, and why should I take there word just like that?

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
This is a contradiction of his original statement. What do you think he is not backing down from?
I know how you want to read it, but he's saying he's not backing down from his political positions. He's not saying he's not backing away from his rhetoric. The rest of that article makes that clear.

Again, he's a horrible person that should be opposed. But violent and hateful language should also be opposed. I can support select words of his while fighting his policy positions. The inability to do so is often what encrenches politics, and while I believe strongly that that inability occurs more frequently on the right, I will fight it generally.

Mahonay

Banned
I know how you want to read it, but he's saying he's not backing down from his political positions. He's not saying he's not backing away from his rhetoric. The rest of that article makes that clear.

Again, he's a horrible person that should be opposed. But violent and hateful language should also be opposed. I can support select words of his while fighting his policy positions. The inability to do so is often what encrenches politics, and while I believe strongly that that inability occurs more frequently on the right, I will fight it generally.
Black people just don't know how to get over politics! You've solved it!

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

So why wasn't he saying any of this when Obama was President?

L Thammy

My god how many disgusting people is he going to have on his show?

As many as it takes. Eventually they're going to hit critical mass and just explode in a burst of terrible that will power the whole of civilization for hundreds of years. Maher will be heralded as the man that single handedly solved the global energy crisis.

Nugent has no redeeming value at all as a cultural or political commentator or as a guitarist. What could he have to say that makes it worthwhile to Maher's audience other than that he is a known prick?

Of all of the ways to use his platform, Maher thinks this is a real get.

RinsFury

Bill Maher needs to go the fuck away already. So sick of this asshole giving a national stage to the worst scum imaginable.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
I'll be honest here, I thought this website went a bit overboard with the Maher hate, but man oh man the dude is not doing himself any favours lately.

And fuck Ted Nugent real hard.

rudger

Actually we do know for sure because, like I said, they already have a history of ABUSING their platforms.

Who said anything about "pretending they don't exist"? I'm advocated they be shamed out of society until they learn to stop being fucking sociopaths.

Meaning you didn't understand the fact that people oppose giving him a platform because he literally has a history of using his platform to get other people harmed.

When did I say IGNORE them? I'm saying we need to outright reject them and shame them until they learn to stop being sociopaths.

So all he has said is that he has gone too far without giving examples? He hasn't called out any of his colleagues? He hasn't called out Trump who has multiple times ENCOURAGED violence?

What does "shaming them out of society" mean? How do you propose going about that? Shouting at their appearances when all they want is attention won't cut it. And if there are those that agree or believe them, then refusing to let them speak accomplishes nothing but making them a martyr. This is what was happening on college campuses.

You're also ignoring a very important part of my first post, which was that all the media I had seen about Milo was more or less fear mongering. I did not know what to think of him because they rarely if ever directly quoted him or showed video. It wasn't until he was on Real Time that for me I understood who he was and found him to be a fucking idiot.

We can want the same things, but think that there is more than one way to get there. All the reactions I saw about Milo frankly seemed to be playing into his hands. For me, seeing him on Bill Maher did much more to convince me of how terrible a person he is than any op-ed or news report I saw about him.

Somebody earlier did a better job of explaining it, but they were quoting the last episode of Bill Maher. If you don't actually let them speak, then those that only glancingly pay attention and just see the headlines might think that people are exaggerating about these figures. Letting them speak shows level headed people what kind of crazy is actually out here.

BriGuy

Bill Maher at this point has done nothing but damage dont see how he is and "ally"

If your "allies" have to be in 100% lockstep with you on all issues at all times, I can't imagine you're ever going to have very many of them. I'm ambivalent on Bill; I agree with him on some issues, and oppose him on many others. That's just how it is.

If your "allies" have to be in 100% lockstep with you on all issues at all times, I can't imagine you're ever going to have very many of them. I'm ambivalent on Bill; I agree with him on some issues, and oppose him on many others. That's just how it is.

The guy creates a shitstorm with the people he's supposedly an "ally" of every few weeks now. It shouldn't be "100% lockstep" to expect someone not to use the N-word or joyfully throw transpersons under the bus alongside a child rape sympathizer.

Bill Mahler could die tomorrow and it would be no significant loss for minorites or our allies.

Man, the conservatives are desperately trying to blame all the violent retoric on the left these days, despite literally decades of pro-violence talk on their end.

They are running scared because they always though their side woudl be doing the shooting, not the other. Leftists were suppose to be the gun grabbing snowflakes, after all.

L Thammy

To whose advantage is it that Bill Maher is an "ally"? The people he's claiming to be an ally of? Or Bill, who gets to have people defending him when he makes racial slurs and the like because he's an "ally"?

Slayven

My humanity isn't something that is debatable.

Top Bottom