• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stealth Bastard |OT| Tactical Espionage Arsehole [Free!]

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

From the developers of Explodemon and Fluidity. They said it best themselves:
UrFB8.png

Curve Studios said:
Stealth games are awesome. Hiding from The Man, skulking in shadows, the thrill of the unseen infiltration. But why do they have to be so... slow?

Introducing Stealth Bastard: stealth, with a great big kick up the arse. A fast-paced, frenetic, one-step-away-from-chunky-death melange of sneaking, platforming, hacking and cursing. A whole lot of fun. It's like Metal Gear Solid and Super Meat Boy had a baby out of wedlock. Semi-literally.

Jump, sneak, and be horribly dismembered through 28 levels hand-crafted by our crack team of in-house design geniuses, some of the same folk behind the critically-acclaimed Fluidity/Hydroventure, and the retro-styled PSN platformer Explodemon!.

And once you're done with those? Fear not - Stealth Bastard includes a FULL in-game level editor - the same we used to create the bundled levels - and even allows you to share, play and rate the community's creations from across the world.

And if you thought that was cool, we've not even got to the best bit yet: Stealth Bastard is free. Not 'freemium'. Completely free.

Endless fun. Zero cost. What are you waiting for?

5LcCn.png
TmOBx.png
XNRRi.png
EHltB.png
UWCpa.png
Qh9lj.png
LRVhu.png
H1ILF.png

Curve Studios said:
- Hide in the shadows with a real-time shadowing system!
- Evade a wide range of eagle-eyed lethal robotic foes!
- Hack your way to the exit... and to the next challenge!
- Squeeze through doorways mere seconds before you're sliced into pieces!
- Die in a variety of gruesome, cruel ways!
- Create your own fiendish deathrooms and share them with the world - all in the game!
- Shave seconds off your playtimes and rule the global leaderboards!
bseib.png

Curve Studios said:
CPU: Dual Core 2.0Ghz
System Memory: 1Gb or greater of RAM
Video RAM: 256Mb or more VRAM
GFX Card: DirectX 8.0 compatible
OS Support: Windows XP SP2 or better, Vista, Win7
Input: Keyboard / Mouse, Xinput supported controllers (i.e. Xbox controllers for Windows)
30minute WTFree is video of Stealth Bastard by TotalBiscuit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFd6DhFi1cg&hd=1

GDGF

Soothsayer
I do believe that trailer was one of the coolest things I have seen in a long time.

Game looks like Splinter Cell meets Bonanza Bros.

Alexios

Sorry, just a quickie |OT| since freebies don't tend to get them at all and it came out of nowhere for me (I just saw it a few minutes ago but it does seem awesome). If anyone wants to spice it up, just send me the stuff and I'll make sure to mention you made it. Only mods can edit the title though. Or did that change?

Zomba13

I was watching the trialer all "This looks pretty cool. Wonder what it's out for and how much it'll be" then I see it's on PC and free!
Downloading it now :D

Snaku

Banned
bigdaddygamebot said:
Completely delivers on title of game alone...

Yeah, I clicked the thread praying the game lived up to the title. But really, it's already an instant classic by sheer virtue of that awesome title alone.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Looks like a fun little game, but the name made me thing the guy would be using his stealth to be an asshole to other people. Pull pranks, make them fall into holes, think there are ghosts, ect.

jgminto

Downloaded and played the first set of stages. It's pretty awesome. The stealth mechanics work really well and the puzzles are clever. Great free game.

I was sold on the name alone.

Then I watched the trailer and was sold even more.

Then I saw it was free.

THEN I read it supports a controller.

Downloading.

STEALTH BASTARD

haha. curve on a roll. edit: just bought explodemon because of stealth bastard. let's pretend I just paid for stealth bastard, ok curve? awesome.

Alexios

No clue why it's free... Maybe they already plan a HD version or new iteration to sell or something, like going from Meat Boy to Super? Or they're just super nice, or feel it's too close to their inspiration or whatever. Who knows? Buy their other games to support them, Explodemon on PC & PSN and Fluidity/Hydroventure on WiiWare.

Haunted

I'd understand it if it were on one of the big portal sites, Kongregate or Armorgames or something - they do pay quite substantial sums to get exclusive, original games like this on their sites.

But Curve are offering this on their own page. The only commercial aspect I've seen is an Explodemon ad when you quit the game. Pleasantly surprised.

But I'm still secretly waiting for a catch. :p

Alexios

The game's already had an updated version too, I dunno what was changed. And it's not a flash game so it wouldn't be on those portals. I think it's made with Game Maker, though that's just a hunch going by their loading screen and some other details. They definitely seem to need more exposure though (their sites don't seem too great at attracting people to me), perhaps it was made as an advertisement hoping a freebie would get covered more than their commercial titles. Well, I'm not gonna complain :p

Haunted

Thanks for the title update, EatChildren!

I don't think Kongregate and the other portals allow only Flash games, but I could be wrong. Not that it matters, though. They're obviously not planning on monetising this at the moment, so we can do little more than collectively shrug our shoulders and enjoy the ride.

Beat the first world in one go, really liking the game.

Somax

Really liking it.
Not much competitors right now in the online ladder, not too many people on the 3rd block of maps.

Noshino

Damn, these guys make great fucking games. First Explodemon, and now this.

Joseph Merrick said:
buy explodemon :arr

I already bought it....twice (yes, I liked the game that much)

Still, I would like to donate some money, but I can't find any place to do so :C

onebitbeyond

Neo Member
Hi guys.

Glad to see you're enjoying the game. Always chuffed when we get an OT on NeoGAF!

Yes, it's completely free, and no we're not going to bait and switch you and suddenly start charging for it. I made the game mostly in my spare time over the last 18 months in Game Maker, so it was pretty cheap for Curve to produce. The whole thing was basically just me messing around (and enjoying learning things like the online sharing/leaderboards). It's the exact same way Explodemon was created, only we never released that prototype. This one has had an extra bit of spit and polish applied, but it's really just a labour of love the same as Explodemon was.

This time around, we're happy to put out this version of the game for people to play and enjoy. We're not really in the position of self-funding titles at the moment, however, if this were to become popular enough, then you never know, we might find someone interested in helping us enhance it and take it further.

Meanwhile, it's just a fun game for everyone to play for free.

Oh yeah, and if you do feel like contributing, then yeah, that's what the Explodemon PC upsell screen is there for.

Cheers!

Mrbob

This game is awesome. Would love to see a full blown special edition on Steam. Would pay real monies for it.

Haunted

onebitbeyond said:
Hi guys.

Glad to see you're enjoying the game. Always chuffed when we get an OT on NeoGAF!

Yes, it's completely free, and no we're not going to bait and switch you and suddenly start charging for it. I made the game mostly in my spare time over the last 18 months in Game Maker, so it was pretty cheap for Curve to produce. The whole thing was basically just me messing around (and enjoying learning things like the online sharing/leaderboards). It's the exact same way Explodemon was created, only we never released that prototype. This one has had an extra bit of spit and polish applied, but it's really just a labour of love the same as Explodemon was.

This time around, we're happy to put out this version of the game for people to play and enjoy. We're not really in the position of self-funding titles at the moment, however, if this were to become popular enough, then you never know, we might find someone interested in helping us enhance it and take it further.

Meanwhile, it's just a fun game for everyone to play for free.

Oh yeah, and if you do feel like contributing, then yeah, that's what the Explodemon PC upsell screen is there for.

Cheers!
That's pretty awesome of you! Here's hoping this OT will get a couple more hits and views.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
This is really good. If they'd put this on steam for $5 they'd have made some nice scratch off of it.

Alexios

Draft said:
A duck button would be great.
What do you mean? You can assign both a button and the down direction to crouch for the gamepad, or assign the crouch to any one key you want for the keyboard.

Edit: it would be nice if the d-pad also worked on the 360 controller. Sure it's kinda shit but I prefer it over the analog stick for side scrolling type games.

Top Bottom