• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Volume |OT| Adapt. Evolve. Be Heard.

Omikaru

Played about 25% of the core levels today. Really, really enjoying this. I think the story and the gadgets the game gives you are trickling in too slowly, but I am really enjoying this, otherwise.

Also, is anyone else on board with me when I say that 'cover' artwork is some of the most gorgeous game art they've seen in years? It's glorious. So iconic.

OSdh7ZI.png

Yeah, absolutely. I'd buy a retail release of this game just to get that cover art on it.

FelipeMGM

So, I just got my review copy for PS4. Yes, a couple days late.
I had notice that all the reviews published on monday were made on PC, so I just tought that something was wrong with the PS4 version.
It might be the reason

But I've been playing for about an hour now and its fine. Great game. Is anyone facing problems/bugs on PS4?

So, I just got my review copy for PS4. Yes, a couple days late.
I had notice that all the reviews published on monday were made on PC, so I just tought that something was wrong with the PS4 version.
It might be the reason

But I've been playing for about an hour now and its fine. Great game. Is anyone facing problems/bugs on PS4?
One time I spawned outside of the level at the beginning of a mission, but I restarted and it was ok.

Is Jim Sterling still in this? I never see him listed in the cast, but I could've sworn I remember him announcing he was in it.

*spoilers*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Jtl0bRVy0k'

Also, if anyone wants to see some crazy speed time on some of the levels, I've been recording plenty. This is the second to last story level with some slick moves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rrckG5DRhQ

Pretty pleased with my times, at least until more people buy the game and the competition gets too good.

I thought you couldn't? Picking up one replaces the other, unless I'm missing something.

Ah ok, that makes sense! I wasn't paying too much attention last night and a level had both beside each other. Didn't realise one was replaced. Thanks for the info.

Is there a toggle to put the Bugle/Oddity on R2 or something? It's pretty stupid that the prompts on how to use them were completely wrong, it took me a while to realise that they were on the touch pad.

Other than that, I'm having a lot of fun with the game. I'm a huge VR Missions fan (not so much Substance, some of the missions were great but there were too many boring ones), so it's right up my alley. Perfect timing with this release, right before MGSV.

Is there a toggle to put the Bugle/Oddity on R2 or something? It's pretty stupid that the prompts on how to use them were completely wrong, it took me a while to realise that they were on the touch pad.
I'm pretty sure R2 is the right button. You just have to wait for the cooldown to end and then aim with the right stick first.

gunstarhero

Is anyone else having issues seeing themselves on the leaderboards? The filter button seems to do nothing at all.

Really? Huh, I thought it said to press R2 to start aiming.

Yeah - the gadget "instructions" are not very clear at all. I've actually been using the touchpad to aim - I tried the right stick, but nothing happen.... but maybe the meter wasn't charged at that moment.

Overall, love the game - but it could use a patch to smooth a few issues out. (and hopefully gives us a no-checkpoint mode)

M.Steiner

I don't remember coming across this game before so thanks for bringing it to my attention, GAF!
Bought and downloading now. Looking forward to playing it.

There's a really uncommon bug that causes you to crash to the PS4 homescreen if you cross the level goal while getting hit. You successfully place a time, but you "die" and the game can't process it. After a few happened to me in the last hour my data corrupted:

...and I lost my whole story progress:

I'd already finished the game the other day, was only working on leaderboard times. Of course, I don't have PS+ cloud auto-upload enabled because my 1GB is constantly full with 600+MB of LittleBigPlanet 3's save file :/

They said there's a patch ready, it's just in Sony QA. So yeah, back up your save for sure, and just be careful if you're competing for the leaderboards. If you think you're about to get shot or slow-mo stumble from a shot into the goal, abort. It's not worth it.

Yes by default it shows the top of the leaderboard and pressing triangle never actually brings you to your time. Hopefully it gets fixed in the next update.

Yeah, sorry, I misunderstood the question. I get nothing from the triangle button too.

Also, if anyone is still thinking about buying the soundtrack you can get it cheaper (35% off) on bandcamp http://volumesoundtrack.bandcamp.com/ which, as far as I know (from buying from indie/underground artists) is more direct and more goes to them ala Humble store.

Skux

http://steamcommunity.com/games/365770/announcements/detail/795236997717760892

Fixes in this patch:

- no gameplay sound plays during cutscenes anymore.

- controllers are now rebindable on the controls setting screen, which should help those with non standard controllers (or standard controllers through different drivers to ours). This stuff is new, so please report any weird bugs you find in it. (on the mac, there's currently a couple of bugs with the rebind screen, please bear with us, fix coming tomorrow, but we wanted to get all these other problems solved for everyone, to start the weekend)

- frame rate cap now available in settings (default is still uncapped), for those who want to run the game efficiently on lower spec / overheating machines.

- achievement bugs fixed. We believe in most cases, this will retroactively award missing achievements, although it is possible that some players will need to redo the necessary unlock steps. Apologies.

- a mask icon now shows whenever the game is saving data

- LT and RT on menus have been swapped out for the correct LB and RB prompts.

MattyG

Banned
This game deserves far more attention than it's getting. I'm only half way through, but it's probably in my top 5 games of the year so far.

I'd like to play it but there are enough bugs that I've encountered or heard of that it's become yet another Wait for the Patch™ game. I should really stop buying games on day one entirely.

I'd like to play it but there are enough bugs that I've encountered or heard of that it's become yet another Wait for the Patch™ game. I should really stop buying games on day one entirely.

Been playing it myself over the last couple of days, done nearly 1/3 of teh levels so far (30 completed so far) and as far as i can tell i havent had any bugs yet so i say go for it.

Enjoying it so far, only gripe is that sometimes you can finish a level quicker than the narration takes to complete so i end up in a situation where i can either wait out to hear it while your timer wastes away or finish the level and miss out and since you are on a timer my instinct is always to finish as quickly as possible.

Also i really hope they hurry up with the Vita version as i would love to be able to continue playing while im aware from home. Also have Dishonored ready to play for Friday (PSN pre order) so i wont be able to give Volume as much time as i can now.

Finished all the levels yesterday, really enjoyed the game overall.

Now im just waiting for patch to fix the glitched gadget trophy and the read every text trophy (Im assuming its glitched since im pretty damn sure i did read everything) and i will have the platinum for it.

gunstarhero

Blog + video on the checkpoint system update (live for PC/Mac, soon for PS4): http://mikebithell.tumblr.com/post/127724985342/style-over-difficulty

Two new modes added. No checkpoints and checkpoints that disappear during alert phase, all with their own leaderboards. Latter is now default.

Just read the news about the update - Lockdown mode sounds PERFECT. Really remedies the biggest problem I had with the game, and rewards players properly for stealth (by allowing the use of checkpoints).

Can't wait for the patch to hit PS4.

Just read the news about the update - Lockdown mode sounds PERFECT. Really remedies the biggest problem I had with the game, and rewards players properly for stealth (by allowing the use of checkpoints).

Can't wait for the patch to hit PS4.

The times will mostly be the same on the majority of levels, I think. Resetting to a checkpoint cumulatively adds .01 seconds to your time for every death/reset anyway. Plus almost any level that utilizes gadgets resetting to a checkpoint resets your gadget charge time and sometimes puts the guards back where you don't want them, which will add anywhere between 3 to 20 seconds to your time. Some parts might not even have to be done as fast anymore, because getting to a patrol area too fast and waiting for them to pass will just result in the same wait time.

What would really yield drastically different results is automatic failure when spotted, but there are a few levels that require being seen at least once. So probably the best way to sort leaderboards would have been # of times spotted x retries x gadget uses x completion time = rank ordered by completion time. Filter by rank, friends etc would help too, so people don't feel like it's top 5 fastest or nothing at all.

I finished the game last week. It's on my GOTY list right up there with The Witcher 3 and Bloodborne. It's that fucking good. Play it, guys.

WITHE1982

Any word yet on when this will be released for my lowly legacy platform (PS Vita)? I'm dying to play a few levels on the commute to work and when I'm here "working"

wouwie

I started playing this yesterday (bought it on release) and it feels somewhat rough in execution. The volume seems all over the place: the sound when you are detected plays very loud, the human voice sounds very quiet and the dialogue delivery on that character seems very weird and out of place. It's as if someone recorded that bit at home on a very cheap microphone. It feels very forced, both in the dialogue and the delivery. The robotic voice sounds ok. Also, some dialogue gets repeated at times (after you return to a checkpoint iirc) and it seems very strange to add story dialogue while playing. On top of that, the tutorial text is very small.

Also, is it necessary to place so many checkpoints in such small levels? Why even bother doing stealth when getting caught has very little influence on the gameplay?

There seems to be a fun game in there but it doesn't make a good first impression to me. Strange...

I ended up turning off the voices. The main guy is so annoying. Also unlike in Thomas was Alone its almost impossible for me to pay attention to the dialogue and play the game at the same time. I hope Mike Bithell rethinks this strategy in the future.

I finally got back into playing Volume last weekend and platinumed it today. I thought it was a decent game but very unpolished and kinda flawed. The puzzles and gameplay were fine but the story and world completely failed to catch my interest, possibly because I was too busy playing the game to listen to any of their conversations. I think my biggest problem was the lack of polish because I ran into a few problems:

a) The game consistently crashed when playing 20-25 levels in a row, always happening right when I finish a level. Thankfully it didn't wipe my save file.
b) The Lore trophy isn't tracked at all and I'm sure it's glitched, as I had to play through the game an extra 2 and a bit times just to get those stupid things and I'm sure I'd already gotten the one it popped on.
c) Weird, unpolished stuff like the gadgets and books icons from the last level being displayed over the ending video. Or the fact that the ending video plays after the first core level I finish each time I load up my completed save (which in combination with the crash and having to finish it three times total, is really annoying).

I think I would've liked it if I wasn't so annoyed at it by the time I finished it but the story still wouldn't have caught my interest.

FDC1

Is it playable on playstation tv? Really want to try the game but i dont have a vita...

According to the store it is.

Bought this morning, only played the 3-4 first levels for the moment. Apparently, a free VR add-on will be released when PSVR is available?

Top Bottom