• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life is Strange: Before the Storm |OT| Hella Walk with Me

chefbags

Finished it early today and loved it, was sad it ended... now the wait....

Felt the same. So unbelievable how a different developer can capture the mood and feel of the first game so well. Props to them.

Can't wait for the 2nd one. Hope the release date is announced soon.

Rosa Lilium

Neo Member
So apparently Square Enix is already committing to doing a Japanese dub for Before the Storm. It seemed like the first game had devoted Japanese fans but I wasn't sure season one sold enough to justify the cost of a full dub.

The Japanese trailer is as follows although there's only word in the whole trailer spoken by the Japanese voice actress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77wl2fPNQts

One interesting thing to note is that the voice actor continuity will actually be intact as far as the Japanese dub is concerned.

Just played through the first episode today and absolutely adored it. Easily stacks up with any of the other episodes from the first game imo. Man I felt some serious emotions during this.

I've gotta say though it's really sad and depressing playing through a game where you know (LiS spoiler)
Both the main characters end up dying in very sad / horrible ways

Rosa Lilium

Neo Member
I've gotta say though it's really sad and depressing playing through a game where you know (LiS spoiler)

This is why in season one,
you go for the happy ending.
While playing BtS, I felt significantly relieved over the fact that I made that choice as I had significantly less of a cloud hanging over the prequel.

Just played through the first episode today and absolutely adored it. Easily stacks up with any of the other episodes from the first game imo. Man I felt some serious emotions during this.

Original spoilers:

IDK what this is all about, only one of the main characters die ;)

Bae is life

While playing BtS, I felt significantly relieved over the fact that I made that choice as I had significantly less of a cloud hanging over the prequel.

I did the opposite and yeah.
When I finished episode 1 of BtS I actually got super depressed because I'd allowed myself to forget what "my" ending was and then it hit me really hard. I'm actually replaying LiS now to go for the other ending to sort of cement it in my headcanon. It's just too cruel for both Rachel and Chloe to die.

Original spoilers:

IDK what this is all about, only one of the main characters die ;)

Bae is life

I did the opposite and yeah.
When I finished episode 1 of BtS I actually got super depressed because I'd allowed myself to forget what "my" ending was and then it hit me really hard. I'm actually replaying LiS now to go for the other ending to sort of cement it in my headcanon. It's just too cruel for both Rachel and Chloe to die.

Lol yeah originally I thought I made the right choice in letting
Chloe die
but after playing this man I don't think I can stick woth that choice next time around. It's just way too cruel considering this game.

Also curious as to how people approached
Chloe and Rachael. To me it absolutely feels like the intention is for them to be more than friends. I know your given the choice but the writing sure seems to reflect the writers main intention was for there to be more feelings between the two

Lol yeah originally I thought I made the right choice in letting
Chloe die
but after playing this man I don't think I can stick woth that choice next time around. It's just way too cruel considering this game.

Also curious as to how people approached
Chloe and Rachael. To me it absolutely feels like the intention is for them to be more than friends. I know your given the choice but the writing sure seems to reflect the writers main intention was for there to be more feelings between the two
I definitely think, whatever happened, Chloe was crushing hard on Rachel. She literally says as much in the original game. I think Chloe likes Rachel a lot more than Rachel likes Chloe though. Rachel's a very interesting character in that I think she doesn't mean badly, but she's privileged, talented, beautiful, a social butterfly, and entitled, and that combination usually makes for someone who might not be aware of how they're using and manipulating the people around them. We know from the original that she fucked around with Frank while lying about it to Chloe. I'm really looking forward to seeing this relationship develop.

I knew someone kind of like Rachel in high school - naturally I was madly in love with her. And so was, like, everyone else. Her female friends wanted to be her, all the straight guys wanted to be with her. She was naive and oblivious to most of it. But she always meant well.

Loved the way the
main menu
changed.

First game that me and the gf are playing together. Hard to fully get a read on how much she enjoyed it, loved some of the "fuck it" attitude moments though.

Fantomas

hv0diPE.jpg

Happy B-Day Max!

Realeza

Banned
I just finished the original game and thought it was great. At the end, I chose
saving Arcadia Bay

With that in context, and since I assume that's the canon ending, what purpose does this prequel serve? Have the developers hinted at some big reveal, because for all intents and purposes I feel this story has concluded.

Reedirect

I just finished the original game and thought it was great. At the end, I chose
saving Arcadia Bay

With that in context, and since I assume that's the canon ending, what purpose does this prequel serve? Have the developers hinted at some big reveal, because for all intents and purposes I feel this story has concluded.

There is no canon ending, but yours is clearly the one they wanted you to choose and where most of the budget went. No one really knows what the purpose of Before the Storm is yet (
besides Square squeezing money out of the franchise
), but if the first episode is enough to make a judgment, it seems to be a solid companion/prequel to the original, with hints of filling in some story blanks the original left behind.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
There is no canon ending, but yours is clearly the one they wanted you to choose and where most of the budget went. No one really knows what the purpose of Before the Storm is yet (
besides Square squeezing money out of the franchise
), but if the first episode is enough to make a judgment, it seems to be a solid companion/prequel to the original, with hints of filling in some story blanks the original left behind.

And even adding some good stuff in there!

I played through Ep 1 last week and I didn't expect it to keep the magic the first game had, much less surpass it, but it's almost there.

It's really weird not having the rewind mechanic too, you don't get to fuck it up and pull back. Chloe's gotta play for keeps.

Also that main menu, WHEW

Shandy

I was kind of apprehensive about this when it was announced.
I was a fool. Deck Nine did an excellent job and they should be hella proud of what they've done so far.

I guess the shorter format requires them to really pile it in, but when I wasn't going "Worst possible choice! Hellraiser, whoo! *devil horns*", I was tilting my head side to side like "Oh, Chloe... Oh, darling... Oh, honey... Oh, you poor thing..." Really jam-packed with meaningful moments and
queerness, which I lent into like I never thought Rachel was a manipulative, phony arsehole. And what a surprise, Episode 1 confirmed my suspicions.
Who could have known?

Staf

I've just gotten past the first area,
the concert area
. I really like the voice of Chloe a lot which i was unsure of before playing it. But i'm not too keen to keep going to be honest. I really liked Chloe in the first game but only as a counter-balance to Max. They were kind of yin and yang.

I don't think i can stand Chloe as the main protagonist tbh, especially since Rachel seems to be Chloe 2.0. I think kind of made a mistake buying the season pass for this lol. Am a huge fan of season 1 so pre-ordered this a long time ago.

JDB

Banned
the concert area
. I really like the voice of Chloe a lot which i was unsure of before playing it. But i'm not too keen to keep going to be honest. I really liked Chloe in the first game but only as a counter-balance to Max. They were kind of yin and yang.

I don't think i can stand Chloe as the main protagonist tbh, especially since Rachel seems to be Chloe 2.0. I think kind of made a mistake buying the season pass for this lol. Am a huge fan of season 1 so pre-ordered this a long time ago.
Nah, Rachel isn't Chloe 2.0. That gets a bit more clear throughout the episode and hopefully in the other ones as well.

the concert area

Keep playing. Trust me.

Manu

Finally got around to playing the first episode. I loved the original LiS so I was one of those worried with the change of devs, the new VA, the whole prequel aspect.

hWIZHzO.gif

Holy crap did they nail everything. Overall a much stronger first episode than the one in the original game. I didn't even miss the time rewind mechanic. I'm really looking forward to episode 2 now, which I guess will end with a dramatic
appearance by Mark Jefferson. The final scene will probably be him showing up like "hey".

Off to the spoiler thread I go.

Well I guess I'll just echo Manu's feelings, and a lot of others in this thread.

Can't believe I waited for so long to play the first ep. Mostly because I was worried I wouldn't live up to the original.

I was wrong. Deck Nine Games just get it. The writing is fantastic, visuals are much improved, OST is great, and Chloe's new VA has done an excellent job.

Also it is SO FUCKING SATISFYING to verbally annihilate fools with Chloe.

This is more than worthy to carry the Life Is Strange name and I can't wait to play the next ep.

If you were still on the fence about this is one, as a fan of the first game, trust me, just buy it. It's fantastic.

sonto340

Regarding the ending choice in the first game
they show you with Chloe’s Dad how fucking with time To save someone you love can ruin the lives of others. They set you up and trust you to make the right decision when the time comes, hoping you learned your lesson the first time. I love the ending choice and that you can choose to ignore the lesson they tried to instill to choose the one you love and doom an entire town. I think it’s an interesting psychological experiment that are only made possible in an interactive medium like video game s

Staf

The ending choice, and ending as a whole, in season 1 was terrible. It was a goty contender until the final episode for me.

Staf

I'm playing a bit more,
just got to Blackwell
. And i just notice one thing. The animations, and lipsynching especially, is a lot better than in season 1.

JDB

Banned
I'm playing a bit more,
just got to Blackwell
. And i just notice one thing. The animations, and lipsynching especially, is a lot better than in season 1.
I think mouthing the lines with a handpuppet would give better results than whatever they did for season 1 :p

Staf

And by the way, the 'backtalk' mechanic freaking sucks. I can't be alone in not being fast enough to read the three responses right?

JDB

Banned
And by the way, the 'backtalk' mechanic freaking sucks. I can't be alone in not being fast enough to read the three responses right?
Don't think I've failed a single one throughout the entire thing. It's not particularly interesting either way, though.

Don't think I've failed a single one throughout the entire thing. It's not particularly interesting either way, though.

Same. I got one wrong answer once but I passed every one, I sympathize if you're not a fast reader though. And yeah either way it's not a great mechanic, it feels very contrived and game-y and it's generally the only point where I kind of have to suspend my disbelief at the interactions between characters because the rest of it feels very naturalistic. The one against David is the only one that really made any sense.

I am not sure if it means anything, it probably does not, but the VA for Steph is streaming Ep1 on Twitch Oct 19th. She is probably just working to her own schedule, but I want to speculate wildly.

Glad to hear it’ll be soon, I've been checking their twitter daily for the last couple weeks lol. Hope it arrives before the Great Onslaught of October the 27th. (I kind of like that these are coming out during Fall, just kind of seems like an appropriate time of year for this type of thing.)

Definitely curious to see if insult sword fighting backtalk is improved at all. I like the idea but the execution felt half-baked.

Re: Season 1’s ending, I’m not necessarily against
“bae over Bay” being an option, but the fallout (the fleeting moments we see at least) rang entirely false for me. Max is the one with powers but Chloe is the “Donnie Darko” of the situation, making the decision to sacrifice herself to save the town, so for Max to ignore Chloe’s decision in that moment and save her instead… I mean, Chloe clearly isn’t the biggest fan of Arcadia Bay or many of its residents, but I never got the idea that she would be okay with allowing it to be literally destroyed. (I'd close on Chloe being utterly horrified by your decision, leaving Max to deal with the weight of present & potential future devastation by herself, but I'm just into that kind of bleak shit.)

Top Bottom