• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Volume |OT| Adapt. Evolve. Be Heard.

gunstarhero

Lots, I mean LOTS of framerate problems in the trailer.

Let me guess.... Unity Engine, right?

Correct. Another one, I'm out. I guess how much money I will save this year with so many Unity games.

I don't recall reading about frame rate issues in a couple of reviews (Polygon and Destructoid) - may have been the trailer?

Lots, I mean LOTS of framerate problems in the trailer.

Let me guess.... Unity Engine, right?

Correct. Another one, I'm out. I guess how much money I will save this year with so many Unity games.

Are you getting that mixed up with Assassin's Creed Unity? :p

I never heard of Unity having consistent framerate issues like you're implying.

Katori

Yeah, Unity does not have any framerate problems built in, but devs who don't know much about optimization (not a dig here) don't optimize, big surprise.

When does the PS Store update? I'd like to buy this.

Novocaine

As someone who has had a hard time getting into MGS (not through lack of trying) this is probably something I should skip huh?

As someone who has had a hard time getting into MGS (not through lack of trying) this is probably something I should skip huh?

It depends on what you disliked about MGS

If the thing turning you off was the heavy story and cutscene presence, then this might be up your alley since it's much more focused on pure gameplay

If the actual stealth mechanics were not enjoyable then yeah I'd be cautious approaching this. It seems very similar to MGS1 in particular, albeit with a far more robust set of moves and items

Novocaine

It depends on what you disliked about MGS

If the thing turning you off was the heavy story and cutscene presence, then this might be up your alley since it's much more focused on pure gameplay

If the actual stealth mechanics were not enjoyable then yeah I'd be cautious approaching this. It seems very similar to MGS1 in particular, albeit with a far more robust set of moves and items

Yeah the gameplay side. Probably best I hold out for now.

When it drops in price a bit maybe I can pick it up in hopes it can prime me into that kind of game and I can finally go down the MGS spiral.

MattyG

Banned
I'm about 14% into the story and I already absolutely adore this game. I can't recommend it enough. It just feels so good to play. Pulling off a level without ever being spotted is the fucking best oh my god buy this right now everybody.

Quick question though; I'm watching the Kinda Funny let's play right now and Greg is getting ratings out of 5 for each level. I'm not getting ratings, just completes. What's up with that?

Corpekata

Banned
The game is visually similar to Metal Gear's VR missions but I don't think it's stealth mechanics are all that comparable, so I wouldn't write this off just because you don't like MGS.

gunstarhero

Just discovered a really shitty bug.

Played for about an hour (core mode), then decided to check out an online level (Spiral Mountain), game crashes and wipes out all my data in core mode.

Back to the drawing board. Fan-fucking-tastic.

BTW - Ps4 version here.

cackhyena

So this is the first game I've purchased on PS4 where it will not install. It has an x over the progress bar. I've deleted and tried three times now. Restarted the PS4 as well. Is there a fix to this bullshit?

MattyG

Banned
So this is the first game I've purchased on PS4 where it will not install. It has an x over the progress bar. I've deleted and tried three times now. Restarted the PS4 as well. Is there a fix to this bullshit?
It may be a connection error? I had something similar happen with the BO3 beta and I had to reset my router.

aro52

I'm about 14% into the story and I already absolutely adore this game. I can't recommend it enough. It just feels so good to play. Pulling off a level without ever being spotted is the fucking best oh my god buy this right now everybody.

Quick question though; I'm watching the Kinda Funny let's play right now and Greg is getting ratings out of 5 for each level. I'm not getting ratings, just completes. What's up with that?

I too was smitten with this game, until Level 18 (17% complete).
In which it forces you to get spotted and set off alarms, to finish it. Annoying, but I guess that will be a tactic in this game. :/
UPDATE: At 25% now. Something about that level 18 tripped me up, but I've been flying through again since. This game is great!
Wakka wakka!

Not sure about the ratings thing. Maybe when replaying a level?

Played for about an hour (core mode), then decided to check out an online level (Spiral Mountain), game crashes and wipes out all my data in core mode.

That sucks. When I [accidentally] hit R1 an extra time, it tried to load the online menu for 2-3 minutes and then errored out.

Just playing the tutorials right now, on mission 5 so only 3%

I'm in love with the aesthetic and tight controls. Really cool first impression

cackhyena

It may be a connection error? I had something similar happen with the BO3 beta and I had to reset my router.
Well, this didn't fix it. I downloaded Limbo to see if it's something more serious and it went fine. 5 different times I've downloaded this game now under different conditions...

What really sucks is I can't even find another problem like it when I search around. Like no one has had this issue before? I mean I know I'm special but this is too much.

Skux

Steam patches!

v1.0.0 - v1.0.2
Improved thumbstick deadzones in settings menu

v1.0.2-v1.0.8d
Fixed issue with negative times being uploaded to the leaderboard
Fixed issue with a chance that the time for a level would be uploaded for the next level
Ranks now show for core-levels leaderboard times
Widened leaderboard display to accomodate longer usernames.
Changed how pause is triggered via the overlay (should fix the camera bobbing bug)
Fixed issue with the game resetting, if you were shot during the win-sequence on a level
Prevented the win-sequence from triggering if you were shot _before_ entering the exit tile
Activating a checkpoint during slow-mo of being shot, no longer sets that checkpoint
Fixed achievements not being triggered
Previously awarded achievements should trigger upon loading this patch

Steam patches!

v1.0.0 - v1.0.2
Improved thumbstick deadzones in settings menu

v1.0.2-v1.0.8d
Fixed issue with negative times being uploaded to the leaderboard
Fixed issue with a chance that the time for a level would be uploaded for the next level
Ranks now show for core-levels leaderboard times
Widened leaderboard display to accomodate longer usernames.
Changed how pause is triggered via the overlay (should fix the camera bobbing bug)
Fixed issue with the game resetting, if you were shot during the win-sequence on a level
Prevented the win-sequence from triggering if you were shot _before_ entering the exit tile
Activating a checkpoint during slow-mo of being shot, no longer sets that checkpoint
Fixed achievements not being triggered
Previously awarded achievements should trigger upon loading this patch

Wow

That's a lot of fixes and a very quick patch

jiggles

Banned
Anecdote about the development of the game: How Mike Bithell's never-ending crunch on Volume sent him to hospital

Independent developer is a high-risk job.

VOLUME CREATOR MIKE BITHELL HOSPITALISED FROM INDIE DEVELOPMENT PRESSURE

*click*

I’d basically had too much Red Bull

womp womp

Anyway, I like this game a lot. I found the stealth mechanics in MGS1 and 2 much less stressful than the other entries in the series because of the Soliton Radar, so going back to vision cones and top-down is a welcome relief. And this is actually an improvement on that because the information is all avaliable in the environment, rather than spending the whole game moving a dot around in the corner of the screen. My one gripe is how it repeats the last line of dialogue at you every time a level loads. I get that they didn't want you to miss anything through beating a level before it finished saying what it wanted to say, but it should recognise when you did hear the whole line and not play it again.

gunstarhero

Would have been nice if there was a hard more where checkpoints are shut off - I feel like I'm cheating if I restart in the middle or near the end of a run. Almost doesn't seem fair that your time is put up on the leaderboards if you got caught 20 times...

SomTervo

I saw Mike talk about this game at last year's EGX in Rezzed. Lovely guy, hard worker.

Would love to get this, but will save it for another month.

Also, is anyone else on board with me when I say that 'cover' artwork is some of the most gorgeous game art they've seen in years? It's glorious. So iconic.

OSdh7ZI.png

I love the game so far but I have a few beefs.

1- It seems impossible to see what time you've gotten previously on a level. If you wait a moment at the level select screen, you get leaderboards from the fastest people but there doesn't seem to be a way to get your time.

2- The music is nice but then when you get caught the volume goes from 5 to 11, so I end up having to turn everything down and can barely hear.

3- The editor is a super cool idea, however, the camera is poorly thought out. When you go to edit in the lower left and right corners the camera swings around from a fixed location, so you're looking at it from a weird angle, and then it's really hard to even know what direction to push the analog stick to move the cursor to the space you want. I don't know why they didn't just have the whole camera pan left, right up and down rather than stay in one fixed location.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
At about 40% in the story and liking it a lot. It is still introducing new things every few levels. Looking forward to trying out some community levels - is there an in-game browser or other way to discover recommended levels?

Skux

Would have been nice if there was a hard more where checkpoints are shut off - I feel like I'm cheating if I restart in the middle or near the end of a run. Almost doesn't seem fair that your time is put up on the leaderboards if you got caught 20 times...

Yeah I've found that you can exploit checkpoints and trigger them even after you've been detected. So when you get fully caught you start at the new checkpoint that you didn't "earn" by sneaking to it. I suppose it's a nice technique for speed runners but doesn't feel fair when you're just playing normally.

GavinUK86

i'm noticing a lot of framerate drops on pc even though my fps counter is a solid 60. that happening to anyone else?

cackhyena

It's just in my nature to start the entire level over if I get caught. The checkpoint stuff isn't even a factor for me.

MattyG

Banned
Someone on twitter remade the dock from MGS 1

CMw7LMPU8AArzWF.jpg
Oh lawd. Well now I have to make the helipad, no excuses anymore.

I wonder if we can string levels together. It'd be cool to make the whole of MGS1 in volume (even though it'd have to be designed to have completely linear progression).

cackhyena

I like to do a dirty run just to see what's what, then come back and do a clean run after I've figured everything out.

I played up to level 10 last night and I admit, I started doing just that near the end. I had to force myself to, though. I'm floored at some of the leader board times already. I can't seem to find my name, though. I'd like to know where I stand.

I played up to level 10 last night and I admit, I started doing just that near the end. I had to force myself to, though. I'm floored at some of the leader board times already. I can't seem to find my name, though. I'd like to know where I stand.
Me too, it seems like triangle should bring it up but it doesn't do anything for me.

Top Bottom