• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
is there a beat the game on the hardest mode difficulty trophy? Hate those.

Yes but
you just need to save before the final boss and change the difficulties accordingly, beat the final boss, and voila, trophies.
<-spoilered it but it's not an actual spoiler just in case. :p

zroid

Banned
Very nice OT! Can't wait to finally play this. the question remains whether i'll be able to finish ME3 before March 13th... >.<

The JP voices probably don't fit anymore because of the awesome voices of JYB.

thank you for this. literally lol'd

RPGCrazied

Yes but
you just need to save before the final boss and change the difficulties accordingly, beat the final boss, and voila, trophies.
<-spoilered it but it's not an actual spoiler just in case. :p

Ah, so
not the whole game? I'll play on Normal then. :)

Wow to think the last tales game I finished was Abyss 3 or 4 years ago. Can't wait but Graces will have to as Mass Effect 3 & Journey. Still got it on pre-order though.

cryptic

So this is the sequel to grandia 4 done by the Game Arts team of grandia 2 fame? I'm in.
EDIT: Watched the friendship trailer. I'm too old for these character designs. I'd hate the game no matter what.

Phenomic

Nice official topic.

Saw the reviews section and it seems to be a little lonely thus far. There was relatively small/positive review in the latest GAMER Magazine (which is best buys in store magazine) They gave the game a 4/5 if you are looking for more positive things to add in that section.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
You know, I'm going to succumb to the need for a good JRPG over having an abundance of games. I have to return about $40 of screen supplies I have left over that I bought 2 weeks ago to Home Depot. Technically I will be getting this for 20 >>

<<

scy

The JP voices probably don't fit anymore because of the awesome voices of JYB.

His voice takes up four times the disc space.

Looking forward to having spare time for Graces when it releases. At least, I think I have nothing else to play when it releases...

OOOOOH MY GOOOOD I CAN'T ƒ'ING BELIEVE THIS IS FINALLY COMING
Tales of Graces F ALL OVER MY FACE YES.

Maybe I went a little overboard with excitement D:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Tales of Graces sounds weird to me. I'd like it better if it was Tales of Grace. :/

The initial registered names for this game were:

Tales of Unitia
Tales of Floweria
Tales of Gracia

Better than Tales of Floweria. :p

Hobbun

Playing TotA right now. I am actually enjoying the story more than the combat system. Not that it’s bad, I just haven’t gotten the moves down completely, yet.
Luke is such a whiny, spoiled brat.

But enough of TotA, I have ToG f on preorder, will definitely be playing this.

ULTROS!

Playing TotA right now. I am actually enjoying the story more than the combat system. Not that it’s bad, I just haven’t gotten the moves down completely, yet.
Luke is such a whiny, spoiled brat.

But enough of TotA, I have ToG f on preorder, will definitely be playing this.

I have to admit, the cast of TotA can be cool or totally unbearable like Luke and Anise. I'm glad the characters in ToGƒ, according to others, aren't hair-pulling.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
The absence of Jap voiceovers is what killed it for me!

Why is it so hard for a tales game to include the japanese voices?!
It's not like they lack the firepower or space to do it! Its a Wii port for crying out loud and it looks like shit despite the minor graphical updates!

Really? I think the game looks nice.

matmanx1

UTmRel.jpg

A little something I picked up at Gamestop of all places back in January. They had a little endcap with this poster on it and I asked the manager if I could have it once they were through with it. Having once worked at this particular location and still being on good terms with everyone there helped because not only did he agree to let me have it he also stored it for me in the stockroom until I could come back and claim it. It used to have a PowerUp Rewards banner along the bottom but I thankfully removed that bit of eyesore.

And I realize that the picture is not the most fantastic but it looks really nice on my wall. I just wish Namco had seen fit to give us an LE with an artbook and soundtrack. Tales is one of the few series that I tend to like the character and background art enough to actually want to own some of it.

Amazing OP, have had this game pre-ordered since a US release was first announced. Can't wait for this game to arrive next week :D

Datschge

The title.
Just to be clear and avoid further confusion, this game is no Grandia sequel and nobody from the Grandia series or Game Arts is involved with this game. No idea where you got that idea. This is a fairly traditional Tales game by Namco Bandai, developed by the group of veteran Tales staff often called "Team Destiny" which didn't get any game released in the West before.

CrazyDude

Just to be clear and avoid further confusion, this game is no Grandia sequel and nobody from the Grandia series or Game Arts is involved with this game. No idea where you got that idea. This is a fairly traditional Tales game by Namco Bandai, developed by the group of veteran Tales staff often called "Team Destiny" which didn't get any game released in the West before.

Tale of Destiny was released in the states? Wasn't that made by them?

Datschge

Tale of Destiny was released in the states? Wasn't that made by them?
The "Team" moniker only started around the announcement of Abyss and was then used to differentiate between the two main game design schools at Tales Studio contributing to the differences between Symphonia/Abyss/Vesperia on the one side and Destiny 2(Jpn)/Rebirth/Destiny PS2/Graces on the other side. The most veteran staff still active are in "Team Destiny" and worked on Destiny PS1 indeed, but other than them a lot of staff changed and joined around Eternia and afterward.

Will the team destiny and team symphonia labels even apply moving on from here? I remember reading that namco bandai disbanded tales studio and took them all in. Curious to see how that effects tales games from now on if that's true.

Datschge

Right, Tales Studio was absorbed into Namco Bandai Games at the beginning of this year and all internal developers will be split off into Namco Bandai Studio next month. That development studio will have over 1000 employees, of which only 80 are from Tales Studio. Changes are likely to occur anyway, but I'll be sad if the Tales Studio/"Team Destiny" leads (veterans who have up to 25 years of history with Wolfteam/Telenet/Tales Studio) are no longer there in some way.

Yeah, most of my curiosity stems from the fact that we might end up with some tales games with the most talented people from both teams coming together to make the best possible tales game. I have things i love that are usually contributed to each team seperately and it will be cool to have a merging of minds so to speak.

Kaizer

Banned
I've had it pre-ordered at GameStop for about a month now, can't wait to jump back into the Tales series. Bamco still sucks in general, but I'm glad we're getting this game at all - for a while it seemed like we wouldn't get anything.

Cornbread78

I must resist the urgh.... Too Many games, not enough time... Too many games, Not enough time.... too MANY GAMES NOT ENOUGH TIME DAMM!T!!!!

Kaizer

Banned
This might seem like an odd question, but does anyone always play their Tales games with a guide/walkthrough? I have for every entry in the series and it hasn't hindered my enjoyment of the games at all. Often I feel with the Tales series, there's so many little hidden skits/items/sidequests that you can miss out on unless you're following very specific directions. Such as: when to revisit places, what items to sale/trade and when to talk to this person again.

I play all my jrpgs with a guide regardless of how needed one is, but that is mostly my own problem with missing anything. It really drives me up a wall to not know if i missed something or not for some reason

I like the OP, and I'm looking forward to playing the game when it comes out. I haven't played many Tales games lately (I think the last one was the GBA Phantasia port), so this should be a nice change of pace in my game lineup, which is otherwise laden with platformers and fighting games.

Rpgmonkey

Right, Tales Studio was absorbed into Namco Bandai Games at the beginning of this year and all internal developers will be split off into Namco Bandai Studio next month. That development studio will have over 1000 employees, of which only 80 are from Tales Studio. Changes are likely to occur anyway, but I'll be sad if the Tales Studio/"Team Destiny" leads (veterans who have up to 25 years of history with Wolfteam/Telenet/Tales Studio) are no longer there in some way.
I'm definitely a bit worried that Udo and whoever else had a significant role in the combat design/programming of the Team Destiny games are no longer there.

They're really talented at what they do and have contributed a lot to the progression and evolution of LMBS over the years, so I think it'd be a big loss to the series if they left or got forced out.

This might seem like an odd question, but does anyone always play their Tales games with a guide/walkthrough? I have for every entry in the series and it hasn't hindered my enjoyment of the games at all. Often I feel with the Tales series, there's so many little hidden skits/items/sidequests that you can miss out on unless you're following very specific directions. Such as: when to revisit places, what items to sale/trade and when to talk to this person again.

I was just thinking about this question.

I've played part of Destiny 1 with a guide and am playing the entirety of Abyss with a guide, with a goal to 100% it. But after thinking about it, if I 100% Abyss now, I probably won't be bothered to play it in the future since I've already 100%'d it.

My plan for Graces F is to do like I used to do - play the game normally, then after a couple playthroughs look at a guide.

To contrast, I've played OoT for years, partially because I've not 100%'d it ever.

Why support such a lazy publisher though! That's surprising to hear from you! Would expect some complaining, unless you changed your tune for some arbitrary reasoning.

Tsk tsk.

Are you sure you're not confusing me with someone else ?

My stance on Rpgs is crystal clear Even more so with suikoden, grandia and tales games ...

Oh "Lazy" ..i see ( i remember the last time someone here used this badly ) You seems to misinterpret my words in this case.. You still don't understand the difference between A rpg and a fighting game i guess.
And even then Tales of are in a whole different situation... And this is from someone who has finished vesperia PS3 , Xillia, rebirth , Destiny2 , Versus and The world 1&2 in japanese ( and many others ).

And besides my real complains were ALREADY VOICED in previous threads. BUT silly me i guess i should repeat over and over my stance like some mindless sheep.

Top Bottom