• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

Aeana

unpreordering due to your blasphemy against Grandia, king of RPG combat :<

seriously though, quite looking forward to this, hope I can use Malik or Richard as my main for most of the game without it pulling too many shenanigans, probably gonna use Pascal and Cheria too and then pick my 4th just to round out the party

I tend to separate command RPGs from action RPGs. Graces definitely has one of the best action-oriented combat systems in an RPG. Grandia and FF10-2 are among the best in the command RPG arena.

Ravage

sdajashdlahsjdh

Can't wait to finally play a non-FF RPG in my PS3.

You should totally try Atelier Rorona/Totori and Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll one of these days, they are really really good :3

On-topic: I've always preferred the gameplay of the Star Ocean series tbh but Graces combat looks absolutely fantastic. Can't wait to get my hands on this next week.

branny

Is it possible to screw over your character growth with titles in Graces?

I'm all for having useful titles, but I don't want to mess things up by leaving a crappy one equipped for too long or something. The way Vesperia handled it (by, uhh, not really handling it at all) was less stressful. Looking up title stuff right now, my head is spinning. =\

I'm all for having useful titles, but I don't want to mess things up by leaving a crappy one equipped for too long or something. The way Vesperia handled it (by, uhh, not really handling it at all) was a less stressful. Looking up title stuff right now, my head is spinning. =\

I doubt you can ever really screw up your character in a Tales game... I've seen people never equip a title that gives bonuses to have a bit of challenge and it still doesn't change it that much.

I'm taking one of those avatars, thanks :3

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

I'm all for having useful titles, but I don't want to mess things up by leaving a crappy one equipped for too long or something. The way Vesperia handled it (by, uhh, not really handling it at all) was less stressful. Looking up title stuff right now, my head is spinning. =\

It's hard to screw up your character. You have to try for it and even then it's not really since you'll just either be broad or specialized in the "wrong" thing. Rofl.

Aeana

You don't have to worry about leaving a crappy one equipped because you can set it to automatically switch titles once you max one. Or once you get it to a specific level. With one of these settings on, you could never look at the title screen ever and still have your character developed over time.

Ties

Banned
It's hard to screw up your character. You have to try for it and even then it's not really since you'll just either be broad or specialized in the "wrong" thing. Rofl.
Really? Because I'm still stuck in my import version at the
ice cave
because the boss keeps annihilating my party in like 3 hits. I thought it was because I leveled my titles wrong; maybe I'm just underleveled?

Sagitario

Clearing away the backlog? :p

Nop... just waiting for it to arrive [international shipping can take a while :p].

There are games/franchises that make me drop everything just to play them.

Tales of is one of them.

I live in Mexico and our local retail store isn't even taking pre-orders for this game... I'm still gonna get it day one somehow!

Tales games aren't really popular among mexican retailers (plus Namco >_>).
Wait a few more days, I am sure some online mexican stores will carry it. I will keep an eye on it and send you a PM if I see the game available.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You should totally try one of the Atelier games and Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll one of these days, they are really really good :3
I'll endorse this one. It's fantasy musou, but it's fun fantasy musou. I was so surprised by how big it was when I went through it last year. Lots of quests, and lots of loot, and it can be as long as you want it to be. Arena fights could be fun.

Of course, some may find it a tad boring, but ymmv. I really want to plat that game, but it's long.

branny said:

I'm all for having useful titles, but I don't want to mess things up by leaving a crappy one equipped for too long or something. The way Vesperia handled it (by, uhh, not really handling it at all) was a less stressful. Looking up title stuff right now, my head is spinning. =\
No, you just gain abilities and stat enhancements. Just keep leveling titles up and you'll get new abilities or stat enhancements. Each title has its own passive effect which is only active when you have it equipped. You'll be either swapping titles manually when you level them up, or when you tell the title menu "hey, swap titles after it reaches rank 3" or something.

Edit: beaten.

branny

Thanks for the replies. I just panicked when I read something about permanent stat bonuses. I guess I won't worry that much about it, then. <3

IMO, yeah. The systems are dramatically different, and honestly, I can't go back to FR-LMBS anymore after even playing Vesperia.

But I wasn't too fond of Abyss's FR-LMBS in the first place.

That's why I'm cutting down on how much I'm buying this quarter!

I don't even want to think of how crammed I'd feel if I didn't play Xenoblade last year. And your backlog is huge anyway and spans multiple consoles. :lol

Not too late to edit the image, you know.
You still have the .psd file, right?

Bummer! I was planning on playing Graces first, as I haven't really touched my home consoles in months.

Ties

Banned
Nop... just waiting for it to arrive [international shipping can take a while :p].

There are games/franchises that make me drop everything just to play them.

Tales of is one of them.
Yup, I'm definitely the same way. Tales takes priority over every game I currently want or have in my backlog waiting to be played right now. Even though I already played through Abyss twice, I still put it above Pokemon White (yes, I didn't even start this game yet lmao) and my current run through Etrian Odyssey 3. Tales really holds a special place in my heart because Symphonia got me back into gaming when I just faded out at one point in my life; I owe it a great deal because it really got me into the RPG genre.

anyway

I'm surprised Schala hasn't played through Rorona yet. :O It's really good, you should definitely give it a shot when you have the time for it.

burgerdog

Oh my god, I bought Trails in the Sky a few days ago, started ME3 today AND this hits next week? As soon as psn updates I'll be getting Journey, Motorstorm RC, Xenogears(if it won best ps1 game,) and TO:luct or Dissidia. Need more hours in the day.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
no more talk of atelier, i'm angry that the copy of the atelier rorona ce for 30 bucks at my gamestop disappeared. :mad:
That's super-cheap. And here I am with a measly vanilla copy. At least I have an Ar Tonelico 3 CE.

Poor Gravijah. I bet it's all that MK7 you've been playing that's distracting you from bargains like this.

I'm surprised Schala hasn't played through Rorona yet. :O It's really good, you should definitely give it a shot when you have the time for it.
Yeah, I've only played a little bit (ie: finished one path); I intend to get the plat for it, but I've been busy with school and work for the past few months. I have a friend who's been bugging me to play through it too since she really enjoyed it. Honestly, if it were on a portable, it would've been completely finished by now since I take those things everywhere. :lol

I don't want to start Totori yet since I don't feel like I've finished Rorona. I have to say that I love the artstyle and colour palette for those games, though. That's why I'm intrigued by them.

Wonko_C

I live in Mexico and our local retail store isn't even taking pre-orders for this game... I'm still gonna get it day one somehow!

Will it even be sold in Mexico? If so that's great news and I'll go sell UMVC3 and Forza 4 tomorrow to subsidize the cost. (Sorry Vita 32GB Memory Card, you'll have to wait.)

Will it even be sold in Mexico? If so that's great news and I'll go sell UMVC3 and Forza 4 tomorrow to subsidize the cost. (Sorry Vita 32GB Memory Card, you'll have to wait.)

I'm not sure, I live 1 hour from the border with USA so in the worst of cases I'll just go and get my copy to the US.

It's so annoying how most Mexican gaming stores are just stocking the most popular games these days.

Gravijah

That's super-cheap. And here I am with a measly vanilla copy. At least I have an Ar Tonelico 3 CE.

Poor Gravijah. I bet it's all that MK7 you've been playing that's distracting you from bargains like this.

that copy had been there for like a year at this point! i just happened to notice 2 weeks ago it was only 30 bucks, but i go back and check a few days ago and poof, gone. i'd try and ask if it's in the back, but the workers there are very incompetent.

and psh, i wish i had been playing a ton of mario kart 7. my circle of friends kind of stopped. it's my lack of money that has been keeping me away from bargains. ;(

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
wj4ma.png

Claiming this :) Can't wait for this to be out.

Also why is he a Major at 17 years old.....?

Rootbeer

Banned
Kinda sad that I might have to chose between this and ME3 if I want to stay on-budget for my games this month.

I'd rather play ME3 since I've been playing Tales of the Abyss on 3DS this month already, but I know ME3 will be on deep discount within weeks, while Graces could stay MSRP until it goes out of print, so I have to keep that in consideration.

Pre-orderd off Planetaxel

Fuck you Europe, I want this now!

how much is the shipping in that place?

I usually import from Play-Asia and it's 47 euro compared to Planetaxl's 44 hmm

Kinda wondering if i should wait for the EU version but it's not even confirmed yet WHEN (or if ugh) that will arrive plus it might even be MORE expensive and the box art might suck compared to the NA one

Aspiring

Oh man im so pumped for this!!! Like really over the moon it feels like forever since they announced it!

Great OT and it's time for Estelle to move over I have dibs on this
Q6z6h.png

Thanks!

Abylim

I'm hoping Summer EU is like June.
I could possibly wait till then, but if its summer Australian, thats like nov - dec. Screw that.

Mognet

Nice OT.

I bought the JP version back when it was released and will definitely be double dipping with this. Unfortunately I wont be playing it until the 28th though!

Yuripaw

Banned
Since it doesn't look like anyone else has claimed this avatar, I'll use it.

I'm one of those people who hasn't really had much experience with the Tales games, but would love to give em a try. I have this game preordered, and paid for. Supporting it so that we may get future Tales games in the west.

Adamm

how much is the shipping in that place?

I usually import from Play-Asia and it's 47 euro compared to Planetaxl's 44 hmm

Kinda wondering if i should wait for the EU version but it's not even confirmed yet WHEN (or if ugh) that will arrive plus it might even be MORE expensive and the box art might suck compared to the NA one

Shipping is $4.99, but they added a $6.99 voucher on for some reason (not sure what for)
so overall cost me $57.00

I've been waiting for this moment for a long time.

Tales was always my favorite RPG series, but I've been in such a Tales mood lately, with me playing Destiny 1, then Abyss 3D, and now Graces f. After this, I'm going to have to buy Legendia.

The sad thing is, despite playing most Tales games, the only one I beat is Symphonia. With all the others, I got up to just before the final boss and for some reason stopped playing. So it is a personal goal of mine to finish Abyss and Graces f.

Oh, and nice OP. Though it's a weird font. On first glance, the "boxart" text said "sexart" lol.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Great OP. I'm glad you didn't use anything Xillia related as a subtitle.
It will be pretty hard to read all your impressions while I'll probably have to wait another week or two for the game to arrive.

Pre-ordered and eagerly await my first Tales game.

Not sure I'll post too much in here because I can't play too much and won't keep up with the spoiler talk but... +1 new customer.

Ricker

Nice OP...damn,still playing Abyss on the 3DS(I like it),Reckoning,FFXIII-2 and trying to reach level 50 in Skyrim,ME today...sigh...I would wait on this one but it might be hard to find at some point?

Guess I`ll pre-order today when I pick up ME but I wont play it right away.

KiteGr

The absence of Jap voiceovers is what killed it for me!

Why is it so hard for a tales game to include the japanese voices?!
It's not like they lack the firepower or space to do it! Its a Wii port for crying out loud and it looks like shit despite the minor graphical updates!

RPGCrazied

Don't really care for the subtitle, but other than that, its awesome. Great job kayos and the others that helped. :)

7 more days!!

Aeana

The absence of Jap voiceovers is what killed it for me!

Why is it so hard for a tales game to include the japanese voices?!
It's not like they lack the firepower or space to do it! Its a Wii port for crying out loud and it looks like shit despite the minor graphical updates!

It's almost as if there are other factors involved besides disc space.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It's almost as if there are other factors involved besides disc space.

The JP voices probably don't fit anymore because of the awesome voices of JYB.

Top Bottom