• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the gaming word you hate the most and why?

Chopper

There's that word again. "Entitled".

I keep seeing it mentioned, amd don't understand it at all. Who says that? Why?

Azriell

Easily "toon" for me. I cannot even begin to express how angry and annoyed this term makes me. "Char" is the same number of letters, and makes a lot more sense as a shorthand term to refer to your character(s) in a game. Also, people who say "toon" allowed instead of "character" (or some other equally applicable term) fucking infuriate me.

"Content"

It makes every aspect of a game a bulk good, bereft of actual quality or emotional worth. It is overused, misused, and abused more than any other, and it makes people who use it sound like PR mouthpieces. Get a fucking thesaurus!!!

ghibli99

Agreed on "compelling gameplay"... it's a weird corp-speak hybrid that I can't stand. It's something that is said by people who don't play games. Whenever a press release or interviewee uses this phrase, I just tune out.

Wiz

Also "Milking".

As long as the series is improving, I have no problem with games coming out more often.

rCIZZLE

Not really a lot of words that bother me anymore. I remember during my PC MMO days "pl0x" was everywhere and I got a little angry every time I saw it. That's kind of in the past for me at least.

ZeroGravity

Waggle

Echoing the people who said this one. People who use this were either threatened by the Wii (for whatever bizarre reason) and latched onto it as a way to offhandedly dismiss any Wii game without valid criticism, or they simply refused to commit to learning how some Wii games controlled instead of simply flailing around for a few minutes before writing off the game's controls as bad. Or they're just plain incompetent. Any of the above work for me.

Myriadis

Saying that a game lacks soul / heart / magic.

It simply doesn't mean anything, just that they don't like that game and have to pull out an "argument" out of their asses to say why.

Tain

1. Awww ='(

2. Retro is a culturally outdated or aged style, trend, mode, or fashion, from the overall postmodern past, that has since that time become functionally or superficially the norm once again. The use of "retro" style iconography and imagery interjected into post-modern art, advertising, mass media, etc. It generally implies a vintage of at least 15 or 20 years. For example clothing from the 1980s or 1990s could be retro.

Maybe be more specific about what kind of "retro" you're talking about? For example, there's a trend in indie games right now of using early 80's-style pixel art that annoys me; it's just a superficial choice rather than an homage or stylistic choice. Kind of obnoxious. So I can understand that getting mentioned in this thread.

The visual trend is definitely an annoying one, but I'm mostly just talking about the interchangeable use of the words "retro" and "old". "Retro", even by that definition above (though not by the example given, lol), is referring to the design of the item, not the item itself. Something can only be retro if it's imitating the old, not simply by being old.

Calling Gradius "retro", for example, would suggest that there was an even older (older than the mid 80s) era of horizontal STGs with Gradius-like traits (stages that span multiple screens vertically, unique bosses, complex powerups, etc), and that Gradius was a throwback to that era.

Easily "toon" for me. I cannot even begin to express how angry and annoyed this term makes me. "Char" is the same number of letters, and makes a lot more sense as a shorthand term to refer to your character(s) in a game. Also, people who say "toon" allowed instead of "character" (or some other equally applicable term) fucking infuriate me.

This is interesting to me. I've met a lot of MMORPG players, particularly the veteran ones (I suppose so), that refer to their characters as toons. Why does it make you so angry and annoyed?

squidyj

Gameplay.
Fuck that word to death, it's a vague term that a lot of people will gleefully use as a cudgel in any sort of argument without ever actually explaining just what the fuck they mean by it. It doesn't mean anything by itself, it's too fucking broad, but people will gladly weild it clumsily as though they are somehow making a point.

Entitlement is the worst word in the world at large though.

rCIZZLE

Waggle

Echoing the people who said this one. People who use this were either threatened by the Wii (for whatever bizarre reason) and latched onto it as a way to offhandedly dismiss any Wii game without valid criticism, or they simply refused to commit to learning how some Wii games controlled instead of simply flailing around for a few minutes before writing off the game's controls as bad. Or they're just plain incompetent. Any of the above work for me.

To be fair it doesn't help my opinion of motion controls on the Wii when my first experience was watching someone play golf like they were throwing a baseball.

COD crowd

i don't hate the COD players , but i Hate the devs that feel like everything should appeal to them rather than staying true to their original fans.
Every time i see A dev or producer or executive saying that they made change only to appeal to them i get Angry.

Box

Graphics.

I really enjoyed the time before I went on gaming message boards and there suddenly became a technical analysis of how good a game looks.

Before that it was just "This game looks good/bad/new/old" and I didn't really think about it that much.

d00d3n

"Intellectual property": A business/marketing word that has no use in serious discussions about games. Uses range from self-congratulatory PR statements to repression of civil liberties on the Internet. Frequent use of the word by a games journalist denotes low intelligence and/or disinterest in game criticism.

kodt

Banned

People say it to describe how gamers feel entitled to certain things.

Such as:

1. We deserve a good sequel to "x" game

2. We deserve a proper PC port with full Steamworks support.

3. We deserve dedicated servers.

4. This game doesn't have multiplayer so it should be $40 instead of $60.

5. We deserve an HD collection of "x" series.

6. Platform A got this DLC, we deserve this DLC on Platform B.

7. The DLC was on the disc, we deserve the have it unlocked for free.

Someone will say something along those lines and then people will call them "entitled" and remind them that the developer doesn't owe them anything. This really seems to bother people on GAF.

squidyj

Such as:

Someone will say something along those lines and then people will call them "entitled" and remind them that the developer doesn't owe them anything. This really seems to bother people on GAF.

What bothers me with regard to the use of entitlement on gaf is when it's misapplied to those who want things as opposed to those who feel they are owed things. Or even better, I remember someone calling people entitled for taking advantage of Amazon's offer on returning Mass Effect 3. You are acting entitled because you are taking advantage of an offer freely given by a retailer. Cmon.

Chopper

Such as:

Oh. Right. I've never come across that. It would probably annoy me too.

Varion

There's a bunch of other annoying ones (entitlement isn't really a gaming word but it's still annoying when used wrong) like AAA, but if I was to pick one then without a doubt it'd be JRPG for me. Can't stand that term. It's used way more in a derogative sense than a positive one, and always reminds me of those people who can't go a week without posting the same old thread about how "the Japanese games industry is dying" as if it's some kind of undeniable fact. Even more priceless are the people who use it because they're convinced anything out of Japan isn't a "real" RPG somehow. Feel free to split genres by how they actually play (action RPG, turn-based RPG, etc - although the concept of a 'real' RPG is obnoxious either way) but the idea that RPGs alone have to be labelled by the country they came from and nothing else, and then broadly dismissed as a result, is just dumb.

Only useful thing about it is it lets me ignore every thread with it in the title and probably avoid a whole load of stupidity.

Christine

Especially "You are bias".

BiasED, you moron!

To be fair, they sound quite similar in many dialects of English, and it's only a conjugation error. It's not nearly as painful as "all intensive purposes", my favorite example of syllabic idiom masquerading as grammar.

Riggs

Banned

Whole thing really started with half ass game journos slapping that word on anyone who was vocally disagreeing about the ME3 ending. At least that's when I saw it being used a lot.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I've grown very tired of "janky". It's used so often and so improperly that it's almost lost all meaning.

Qasiel

"Glitched"

Nothing puts me off a game like having been told its glitched by a few people.

"Missable"

If I'm trophy hunting, I get frustrated by having to replay the entire game because I happened to miss one chest 80% of the way through because I don't like resorting to guides.

ultron87

Ah yes, "corporate apologist". The catch all phrase used to totally dismiss the opinion of anyone that attempts to take into account the realities of business. That is just as bad as the blanket "entitled" statements.

7threst

I always hate it when people abbreviate the word 'achievements' to 'cheevos'.

Do people do that? I've never seen it used and if it wasn't for this topic and I would see people use that word, I wouldn't know what they were talking about. Same goes for 'vanilla', which at first I thought was the easiest gameplay mode in a game....

Ah yes, "corporate apologist". The catch all phrase used to totally dismiss the opinion of anyone that attempts to take into account the realities of business. That is just as bad as the blanket "entitled" statements.

There's realities of business and then there's calling strangers on the internet "entitled kids" for pointing out that there's something very wrong about how this industry has been treating its customers for the last five years, if not longer.

Top Bottom