• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the gaming word you hate the most and why?

Entitlement/Entitled.

I'm going to cheat a bit with this but,

"entitled gamer"

Whenever someone uses this in their argument it just bugs me to no end to the point I wont even consider the rest of the person's argument just because of that.

Entitled. Can't even use the word when its appropriate now.

entitlement

Entitlement.

"it sucks that this game doesn't have this or that" "wow entitlement issues anyone?"

Nope. Can't think of any! :p

ghibli99

I like 'waggle'... it works for some games, but not for most, so I enjoy that it comes with built-in undermining, sarcastic negativity.

squidyj

There's realities of business and then there's calling strangers on the internet "entitled kids" for pointing out that there's something very wrong about how this industry has been treating its customers for the last five years, if not longer.

Alright! Culture Warrior go! Crusade mode ACTIVATE.

let's not do this

I have never liked the term "AAA". As others have mentioned, it's mostly used as a way for someone to dismiss another game because it's not part of a "AAA" franchise or a dig at it's supposed lack of production values.

"Nostalgia" is another one I don't care for due to its overuse. It's just another way for people to dismiss others opinions without any good reason. Oh you still like a game or mechanic from 5+ years ago? You're just nostalgic and don't REALLY like that. You just THINK you like it, but you're clearly wrong.

"Salty" is just one I keep seeing on GAF in particular for every time someone has a differing opinion. You don't agree? You're salty. I feel like its just replaced "u mad".

People saying something is on their "radar". This is probably the most nonsensical one in that it bothers me. I just don't know what it is. When I hear people say things are on their radar it just feels like they're trying to be overly official about it. "Well this game wasn't on MY radar, so it must not be of any worth" kind of stuff. Just oozes arrogance.

Dr.Hadji

Gameplay.
Fuck that word to death, it's a vague term that a lot of people will gleefully use as a cudgel in any sort of argument without ever actually explaining just what the fuck they mean by it. It doesn't mean anything by itself, it's too fucking broad, but people will gladly weild it clumsily as though they are somehow making a point.

No it isn't.
Yes it does.
People are dumb, that doesn't that away the meaning of the word.

neora

Overrated and Mediocre

People just seem to stick these terms on games that they otherwise dislike for whatever reason. Why is it some people just can't accept that a game they dislike may still be a good game. Most of the time these individuals haven't spent nearly enough time on the game to give a good judgment on it's overall quality. They usually play less than a half hour and think they can judge the game based on their limited experience.
One friend of mine just hates specific franchises for no good reason and labels all their highly rated and popular entries as overrated, and then another who just uses Gamerankings aggregates as gospel, and any game with an aggregate rating lower than 80.00% is suddenly mediocre, even though he hasn't played or given the game any kind of worthwhile attention! I dog at them all the time for these things, of course, but they just don't fucking listen, and neither do so many other people online.

Marlowe89

Noob, and not just when it's directed at me but the usage of the word in general. When I'm playing a game online, I don't want to feel like I'm back in fucking middle school.

"realistic"
ex: "Why are you playing that Team Fortress game its so not realistic?"
ex: "Hey did you hear about the new Battlefield, its so much more realistic than Call of Duty"

I have heard this from so many of my peers, it drives me nuts. The fact that without even playing a game they will dismiss it simply because it lacks realism, and that it some how correlates to better game play, is just mind boggling to me.

Well guess what, real people can't take gunshots to the chest and the be totally fine 10 seconds later.

Noob, and not just when it's directed at me but the usage of the word in general. When I'm playing a game online, I don't want to feel like I'm back in fucking middle school.

Seconded, I hate this. I got booted from a game of Uno on XBLA because some kid saw I had only played a few games. I heard him screech "HE'S A NOOB, BOOT HIM" and then I was out. I guess I should have played more Uno online before trying to... play Uno online?

zon

"core gamers"

I hate it. Fiercely. The fact that people use it in a serious manner pisses me off even more.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Sheep.

"Elitist" gamers love to throw that one around in CoD threads.

I have like 19 because evidently i'm a moody bitch

NPDS = Because if someone is talking about this they are talking about sales and if they are talking about sales they are talking out their ass. Even Pachter, who makes a boatload of money to try to make sense of this stuff - can't. And neither can you. Stop.

LAGS = (ie it creates lags) Lags is not the plural of lag. Lag is the plural of lag.

Fanboy = This one is a two pronger because I hate that the term is thrown around so easily. Like if I prefer the ps3 to the xbox I'm a ps3 fanboy. No. That's not what a fanboy is. A fanboy is an annoying creature who will ignore all sense and reason to defend their product (i.e. Sony's online is so much better than microsoft's because party chat causes lags and is dumb i'm glad sony doesn't have it)

Janky - i use it sometimes, but it's overused and used so broadly to describe so many different things. It's really just a lazy word. I'm trying to exercise it from my vocabulary

Master race - I have a nice PC. This does not make me better than anyone else. And pretending it does (even if it's 'jokes') is really silly.

_____ is doomed (meme) - Drives me nuts. Right now it's mostly about the vita - a system i find to be incredible. But reading ITS DOOMED ITS DOOMED over and over is so goddamn annoying. There's been days i've avoided this forum because I know i'm not in the mood to hear people talk out their ass about how something is doomed.

There's more but i'll stop.

JRPG and WRPG.

I didn't even know what the fuck a "JRPG" was until I started reading message boards. The distinction between "JRPGs" and "WRPGs" is meaningless and every time someone uses either term, they're just begging for people to compare and argue about which is better.

To me, an RPG is an RPG. I don't give a fuck what region it comes from, it doesn't matter.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Consolized - a disparaging word usually uttered by PC gamers who don't like new games.

olore

"narrative"

It`s a game. Shoot stuff, get rewards, feel good. There`s no Shakespearan levels of tales going on here

entitled
janky
cheap
trial and error
dudebro
waggle (this should be only used for games that feature gesture based shit, maneuvering the camera with my wrist on the move/wiimote is no more "waggle" than using my mouse)
visceral

all pretty bad, there are a ton more buzzwords though.

prwxv3

"it plays itself"
"its a movie"

These two phrases are used all the time and are mostly used as fact when it is mostly subjective. And they are used against mostly popular games such as god of war, assassins creed, uncharted, ect. Its fine to not like these games but to say your subjective stance is fact bugs the shit out of me.

I'd never heard of "toon" until this thread and I already hate the fuck out of it.

Another one that comes to mind is "true fan." The FF fanbase is especially guilty of this fucking bullshit.

Kalnos

Banned
"Nostalgia" is another one I don't care for due to its overuse. It's just another way for people to dismiss others opinions without any good reason. Oh you still like a game or mechanic from 5+ years ago? You're just nostalgic and don't REALLY like that. You just THINK you like it, but you're clearly wrong.

Though it isn't really a 'gaming' word.

Dr.Hadji

Gameplay.
Fuck that word to death, it's a vague term that a lot of people will gleefully use as a cudgel in any sort of argument without ever actually explaining just what the fuck they mean by it. It doesn't mean anything by itself, it's too fucking broad, but people will gladly weild it clumsily as though they are somehow making a point.

Consider this my full explanation. It's a 6 part article series btw.

squidyj

No it isn't.
Yes it does.
People are dumb, that doesn't that away the meaning of the word.

It's really too broad. and your 3 word answers aren't refuting anything. It's the resort of people who argue things like "heavy rain has no gameplay" what does that even mean? "the gameplay in game x is so much better than game y" Is equally vacuous, without qualification as to what the fuck you are talking about it borders on the absolutely meaningless. With qualification the statement becomes absolutely redundant "the aiming is much more fluid and precise in game x" is much more precise and actually fucking says something. Gameplay is useless as a term and it's a symptom of a culture of gamers who lack the most basic vocabulary when it comes to describing games which serves only to limit further discourse on the medium and mire us in cyclic bullshit about how important gameplay is over presentation etc.

Consider this my full explanation. It's a 6 part article series btw.

That argument is completely tangential to the use of the word gameplay.

MechaX

Well, I think visceral has really lost all sense of meaning at this point. Same for epic but the latter is more attributed to meme overusage than anything specifically gaming related.

With that said, the use of entitled/entitlement has really sparked some irritation in myself that I have never really seen before with gaming. It just infuriates me that pointing out perceived flaws now gets met with "lol u guyz are just entitled" by gamers, publishers, and the press alike, as if the purchasing audience has an obligation to wade through certain undesirable stuff without actually being able to discuss it.

geebee

Banned
"Shiggy" and "Ninty" .. is it that fucking hard to type out a full name? Well probably not for the ones that use it.. maybe this is why Nintendo went with an easy to spell name like "Wii"?

Dr.Hadji

It's really too broad. and your 3 word answers aren't refuting anything. It's the resort of people who argue things like "heavy rain has no gameplay" what does that even mean? "the gameplay in game x is so much better than game y" Is equally vacuous, without qualification as to what the fuck you are talking about it borders on the absolutely meaningless. With qualification the statement becomes absolutely redundant "the aiming is much more fluid and precise in game x" is much more precise and actually fucking says something. Gameplay is useless as a term and it's a symptom of a culture of gamers who lack the most basic vocabulary when it comes to describing games which serves only to limit further discourse on the medium and mire us in cyclic bullshit about how important gameplay is over presentation etc.

That argument is completely tangential to the use of the word gameplay.

The word is specific though it covers a lot of different possibilities. It's not a panacea for all gaming related communication. You still have to say something specific if you intend on saying anything specific.

But if you want access to vocabulary that goes well beyond the basic, I specialize in that too.

But if you can explain how an argument that defines what games are, what the word gameplay means, and explains why it's so important/useful in discussions about games is tangential to a discussion on the usefulness of the word "gameplay," I'd appreciate that.

S0N0S

cinematic

Most of the other words put forth in this thread are just overused or misused. Cinematic has little relevance in regards to games. Pure bullshit.

"Gaming Journalist/ism"

Let's be real for a moment. Anyone, and I mean, darn near anyone, could be a video game "journalist"/reviewer. As long as your writing skills are at about a sophmore hs level, you're pretty much good to go. Opinions, are opinions, are opinions.

Not to say I wouldn't love to do it, as I certainly would, but it's basically luck that any "journalist" in the industry has their job as it could just as easily go to the next schmoe waiting in line to do the same thing. It's like putting a "candy bar journalist" on a pedestal. Who couldn't eat candy bars and tell you which one is better and why?

filipe

Bomba is by far the dumbest word to be associated with games (though it can be associated with anything really, it's used far too often here).

I'm surprised gritty only came up one.

I absolutely hate that would when used the described games, it's basically admitting you have no idea what you're describing.

Top Bottom