• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Dahbomb

My review went up as well (hungarian) - 8/10

It honestly felt like a 9/10 at times for me, but I had a hard long thinking session about the game's shortcomings, and determined these as the main issues:

1. Unimpressive Boss fights
2. The uninspring, totally average story, with very few cool moments
3. Too much loading here and there, even once the level is loaded :(
Good review, I agree with you. Loading times didn't bother me that much but there were times that the game felt like a 9/10 but the shortcomings bring it down. The first half is excellent even up to the Club level is good. Everything after that is of lower quality, still good but closer to a 8. Bosses are still mediocre throughout and that's a big minus in my eyes.

LMAO @ Jett in the YT comments. Nigga plz... DMC4 has godly combat quit hatin'.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Oh, wow. Jett really has lost it. I know he posted a comment when the video was posted here like two minutes after it was posted but he's completely doing Youtube flame wars now. I guess he really did get a huge bag of Doritos and Mountain Dew from Mary Sue-y.

jack-nicholson-nodding.gif

dat scene with the shotgun

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Playing Marvel 3, I miss Dante, Virgil, and Trish. Though Trish kinda is useless in Marvel 3. :( I really think Capcom nailed their styles (well, except Trish who needed to be a "trap" laying character) in Marvel. It's pretty amazing to pull off some of Dante's DMC3 moves there.

dat scene with the shotgun

Yeah, that was kinda crazy. But some of the sword moves hitting while the enemy is still in the air was a little "what?" Kinda similar to Helm Splitter's hitbox hitting an enemy WAY above it.

Isaccard

Playing Marvel 3, I miss Dante, Virgil, and Trish. Though Trish kinda is useless in Marvel 3. :( I really think Capcom nailed their styles (well, except Trish who needed to be a "trap" laying character) in Marvel. It's pretty amazing to pull off some of Dante's DMC3 moves there.

Yeah, that was kinda crazy. But some of the sword moves hitting while the enemy is still in the air was a little "what?" Kinda similar to Helm Splitter's hitbox hitting an enemy WAY above it.

You've never played the game before have you.

They got Vergil right, definitely. Just some dude that teleports whenever and does helm breakers and divekicks into insta-kill combos, while also having ridiculous hitboxes and overpowered as fuck spiral swords. Atleast his DT doesn't make him immune to hitstun.

Too bad he's apparently nothing like that in the new game

Ein Bear

Been playing both demos back-to-back to decide on which version to pick up tomorrow.

I find it bizarre how the PS3 and 360 versions seem essentially identical in-game, yet the performance just fucking tanks in the PS3 version whenever it hits a cutscene.

Will still probably go with the PS3 version though, just for dat DualShock. In-game performace is the only thing that matters really.

Teknoman

Heads up for those interested in the PC version:

You can prepurchase the game at greenmangaming.com with the code GMG25-XTYYZ-POSL1 to get 25% off. Lets you snag the game for like $37.50.

And it is a Steam compatible code. Releases 1/25 though, but still, its a nice price.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Glad to see you're enjoying this V_Arnold :).

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Been playing both demos back-to-back to decide on which version to pick up tomorrow.

I find it bizarre how the PS3 and 360 versions seem essentially identical in-game, yet the performance just fucking tanks in the PS3 version whenever it hits a cutscene.

Will still probably go with the PS3 version though, just for dat DualShock. In-game performace is the only thing that matters really.

Yeah, I'll be skipping the cutscenes every time after the first playthrough anyway. My loyalty to the Dual Shock is simply unwavering.

AppleMIX

You can prepurchase the game at greenmangaming.com with the code GMG25-XTYYZ-POSL1 to get 25% off. Lets you snag the game for like $37.50.

And it is a Steam compatible code. Releases 1/25 though, but still, its a nice price.

All ready bought, figured it would be worth it for the 60 FPS version.

Damn I shouldn't be spending money on games but I enjoyed the demo. 60 FPS... Tempted to drool now.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Did you buy this as well? Any thoughts? :D (Oh, btw, my body is ready for that PoE open beta as well, but that is not for this thread!)
Sorry, won't really buy this quite yet! Too busy with other stuff at the moment :3

I'll await you in the PoE |OT|! ♥

Halfway through Son of Sparda. I'm enjoying this, but it really bugs me when I'm still missing keys or souls on my second time through these levels. Haha

Yeah, I'll be skipping the cutscenes every time after the first playthrough anyway. My loyalty to the Dual Shock is simply unwavering.

I'm actually getting it for 360 for the same reason. My loyalty to the dualshock for DMC is so unwavering that I can't play this version with it without trying to lock on and hold back to knock up, hold the shoulder button and press forward to try and stinger, etc. When I use the 360 controller I actually have the ability to break out of that mindset better

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Looks like I'm getting snowed in tonight, and my Gamestop will be closed tomorrow because of it.

Come on, Capcom. Throw me a friggin bone and let them sell it early

Ok question for people who have finished, I'm on the final boss.

Is there a reliable way to get Vergil to open up to attack? Half the time he just blocks and fires those annoying arrows even a point blank range. Also I'm guessing the trick in the final bit it to hit his shadow to get DT then use that to kill him?

Dahbomb

Ok question for people who have finished, I'm on the final boss.

Is there a reliable way to get Vergil to open up to attack? Half the time he just blocks and fires those annoying arrows even a point blank range. Also I'm guessing the trick in the final bit it to hit his shadow to get DT then use that to kill him?
A lot of his moves have lots of recovery like Rapid Slash (the dashing slash), Killer Bee (the dive kick) and Helm Breaker (he slams down his sword from above you) so scout out when he's about to do the attack, Demon Dodge (R2 plus Dodge with proper timing) and then go ham. You can parry his Round Trips back at him as well. He is also vulnerable when he's doing his Judgment Cuts although in his later forms he starts shooting random electricity everywhere so it might not be the best idea to hit him then. And yes to the end, you have to Devil Trigger to land the killing blow on him.

antitrop

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46443379&postcount=19

Gamestar and PC games both can't praise the PC version enough for its good performance and great mouse & keyboard controls.

PC games calls it "best PC port in years".

I for one is very surprised.
Why? There was very little doubt that QLOC would do a great job. They had a great track record with Street Fighter IV. Now we'll see what they can accomplish with Resident Evil 6.

If anything, only the PC port being a complete dud would be surprising.

A lot of his moves have lots of recovery like Rapid Slash (the dashing slash), Killer Bee (the dive kick) and Helm Breaker (he slams down his sword from above you) so scout out when he's about to do the attack, Demon Dodge (R2 plus Dodge with proper timing) and then go ham. You can parry his Round Trips back at him as well. He is also vulnerable when he's doing his Judgment Cuts although in his later forms he starts shooting random electricity everywhere so it might not be the best idea to hit him then. And yes to the end, you have to Devil Trigger to land the killing blow on him.

Yeah I got the recovery after his physical attacks, only tried pulling the round trips but not parrying. Thanks!

Hah, that was easy.

Turns out you don't even need to parry the round trips, Osiris or Aquila will destroy they even as they're sitting above him. Standing still and waiting for him to make the move actually made is a lot simpler, running around was putting me too far away after an evade but just waiting for him gave me so many openings.

Thanks to lurker nitoo from factornews.com (GAF has not approved his account yet), Got some PC screenshots here. If these pics are too big, let me know how to fix that.
He also said "despite being a UE3 game, I had absolutely ZERO texture pop-in whatsover. None. And the loading times are close to inexistant. It's like 5sec starting the game / a mission, and like 2s or instant in between missions. "

yEhpZh.jpg

eLRNRh.jpg

wiZ7Eh.jpg

uMjQPh.jpg

I don't know what people were expecting with me. I rated it below I would the other DMC games even DMC4. But it's still a good game and even a copy of DMC is a damn fine action game. Yeah some of the decisions still don't sit well with me but I hope NT can use this as a learning experience to create an even better game in the future.

The DMC fanbase being skeptical of the game was well justified. While similar to previous NT games in terms of art style the game plays VERY different from what people are used to from NT.

While I think the obnoxious never ending hate fest this game received was borderline insanity at times, I do think however that in the end, it only helped the game and probably really pushed Ninja Theory to deliver a more competent action game experience. So I will eat-crow on that front, but I am really happy to see people are actually enjoying it now (for what it is) and seemingly put aside the bullshit reasons to brush off the game entirely. I hope that the dedicated fans get the DMC5 announcement they wanted now...

Top Bottom