• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transistor - From the Makers of Bastion

I don't usually do Day 1, but I most likely will for this. I was listening to the Bastion OST when I saw this pop up on Twitter. Can't wait.

I have to say WOW to this one.
Yeah, we don't learn much from the trailer but the game sure looks promising. The art style and the gameplay are very reminiscent of Bastion, which is gooooood.
Can't wait to learn more.

OnPoint

This looks amazing. I love that it appears to be using the 'Bastion engine' but the setting is totally different. More developers should do that.

PFD

Looks nice, but I was kinda hoping they'd go for something else besides another isometric action game.

Momentary

Banned
Ah I was about to say... music kind of reminded me of the soundtrack to Bastion somehow.

Game looks amazing. I'm 100% confident that this will show up on Steam... And on that day my bank account will shrink a little.

Orca

Looks decent. The running animation of the main character looks pretty bad though. Had me thinking 'Ugggghh' every time it popped up in the video.

That's what I thought too. Looks great in every other way, but I hated that animation.

Drakken

Yes! I've been wondering what they were up to. Really enjoyed Bastion and absolutely loved the soundtrack.

Excited about this one being sci-fi-themed. Can't wait to see and hear more!

...And the Amen Break makes its appearance at 00:28. Glad to see their future sound has overused samples. Is there a composer attached to the project? Are they working with the composer from Bastion?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Bastion was rad and this trailer looks hot, even though the animations look like they need more work.

Meier

I really enjoyed Bastion but haven't finished it.. need to fix that one of these days. Great artists at Supergiant.

Neiteio

I liked Bastion -- didn't finish it since it got repetitive, but I liked it -- and this looks like it has similarly great art. However, I hope they make the final character move more fluidly. He (she?) just doesn't look fun to control in that trailer.

JimmyBoy

O my god, the art.
Bastion was phenomenal and it looks like they're using the same toolset here.
Can't wait. Will go see it at PAX East for sure.

Mdk7

It's one of the most fascinating things i've ever seen in gaming.
HOLY SHIT, the art direction is so unique and amazing...
I'm in awe.

How is the limitation of only two weapons at a time (+special ability) not involved decision making? Each weapon played completely differently from the last and your choice of loadout made for completely different playstyles. not only that but you then had upgrades for the weapons that changed things up even further. So there was plenty of decision making to do in bastion.

It's true, there were a lot of options for loadouts and upgrades, and I'm sure they provided a lot of variation if you enjoyed the combat. But I was talking about decision-making during combat. It didn't feel very tactical; all the fights game down to dodge-then-shoot, so all the loadout options didn't feel like they mattered.

PokéKong

It's really hard to make out what the gameplay is generally like from the very brief footage, despite obvious similarities to Bastion. But here's hoping for slightly different pace of game and just a little less emphasis on combat.

On that note, it really reminds me of an HD version of Radio The Universe.

megalowho

Gorgeous artwork. Strategy elements could be interesting, if that's what's happening with the overlay effect. Not sure how I feel about that running animation, but it's still early. Cool it will be playable at PAX.. has potential for sure!

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I'm surprised some of you weren't drawn in by Bastion's gameplay. I'm trying to think of an action-RPG with deeper combat, and offhand, there's only a few. Mount & Blade, Souls, the Tales games...what else?

Bastion removed all of the redundancy and extra useless crunk that encumbers most action-RPG systems. Each weapon was completely unique, each modifier to each weapon was meaningful, and the combat itself was based heavily on careful timing and positioning. It's a different focus from the shallow lootgrind that dominates most action-RPGs, and you're not going to get the depth of something like Devil May Cry, but it's absolutely top-tier gameplay for its level of complexity.

If Transistor is Bastion with new graphics, weapons and combat encounters, I'd be in Day 1. As it is, I'm sure Supergiant's going to do a lot more than that.

Pau

I still have to beat Bastion but considering we'll have to wait until 2014, I should have enough time. Liking the scifi setting and of course I'm excited to have a female lead. :)

I'm surprised some of you weren't drawn in by Bastion's gameplay. I'm trying to think of an action-RPG with deeper combat, and offhand, there's only a few. Mount & Blade, Souls, the Tales games...what else?

Bastion removed all of the redundancy and extra useless crunk that encumbers most action-RPG systems. Each weapon was completely unique, each modifier to each weapon was meaningful, and the combat itself was based heavily on careful timing and positioning. It's a different focus from the shallow lootgrind that dominates most action-RPGs, and you're not going to get the depth of something like Devil May Cry, but it's absolutely top-tier gameplay for its level of complexity.

If Transistor is Bastion with new graphics, weapons and combat encounters, I'd be in Day 1. As it is, I'm sure Supergiant's going to do a lot more than that.

For real, I love Bastion for its art, music and its story, but above those things I love it for its gameplay. It is an extremely well-designed game. It's a pretty exemplary package in every area.

Sqorgar

Banned
Rancid said:
My hand went blind
Clairvoyant
My hand went blind
I make love to my trance sister
My trance sister went on and my trance parents see from the balcony
I looked out on the big field
The big field, it opens like the cover of an old bible
And out come the wolves
Out come the wolves
Their paws trampling the snow, the alphabet
I stand on my head and watch it all go away,
For some reason, all that I thought of when I saw the title was a Rancid song.

pargonta

that feeling when a new game is announced... that feeling is so good.

the art is of course great, is she a former singer with that microphone? love it.
edit: yes, i believe the city is getting rid of all the singers, probably cleaning up their culture, and she is being hunted.
edit2: and apparently a super weapon cliche yadda yadda, but i guess that works too.

Jb

The 2.5 perspective made the close combat a bit of a mess. Hard to say if I'm within reach of the enemy's attack, if I'm hitting him... The combat system would have made perfect sense in a 3D game, but there it didn't really fit.

Top Bottom