• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kaz Hirai to be on CNBC today at 3:30PM EST.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
But he has strong sentimental connection to SCE and is the CEO of Sony.

If he wants to present, he will present. And I'm thinking he'll take the chance to announce the PS4's console design + first E3.

Sure if he wants to but that's really House's job now. I think Sony should let him present PS4.

Pistolero

Sony entertainment probably should've been sold a long time ago. Many words have been written about how the electronics side couldn't go full-steam-ahead with digital initiatives because the entertainment side was worried about its stuff getting pirated. Think about it - can anyone remember a single Sony mp3 player? I can't. That's kind of amazing, especially when you consider that my first iPod replaced my Minidisc player.

I'm not entirely sure the current plan is about selling the entertainement business...

Why isn't Sony life insurance only if they are making so much off of it?

Also, who knew Sony had life insurance?

I would say that anyone who actually reads Sony's quarterly reports / fiscal year reports / any Sony investor / anyone who actually cares about Sony's inner mechanisms / anyone who has looked up Sony on Wikipedia would know about that.

LQX

Is this for real? People requesting gifs and pictures of CEO on a news program? Wow, so fucking odd.

narton

I wrote down some bulletpoints of the interview.

* Split off proposal include 15-20% of entertainment assets
* Discussion needs to be at the board level, serious consideration needs to be given
* Too premature to speculate, looking to outside advisors for objective review
* Looks to continue to keep entertainment business as a positive for Sony's bottom line
* With proper focus, electronics and entertainment can turn around. Electronics losses have been cut halfway already.
* Has set up a senior management team for direct reporting on 2 parts of the company.

* For the PlayStation 4, make sure we have the best and compelling games, including networking and social aspects.

* Thinks the Prime Minister's policies are heading in the right direction, too early to tell for sure.

The weakening of the yen actually hurts versus the US dollar, but helps versus the Euro and overall.

* The new Xperia phone is the first product made by Sony since the Ericcson split, compelling device for the higher-end phone market.
* Company will not just become an insurance company, proud of its heritage in electronics and entertainment content.
* For the changing climate, needs employees that understand the international markets, especially young employees.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Can anyone give me a summary of what was said? EDIT: Nevermind, somebody already did!

liquidtmd

Banned
I wonder how hard he laughs at some of these gifs, especially that one. ^

I know everyone 'well known' and high profile will inevitably get internet fame, but how fucking weird for it be to be for Kaz, a CEO in quite often a very dry business profession, seeing (someone SURELY has linked him them all) these kind of GIFs. He's worked hard all his life and never sought celebrity, yet theres a whole legion of people willing to spend their time cutting out his head and pasting it on what appears to be a little rocking horse pony with a rocket strapped up its arse

I would pay very good money to watch a webcam of Kaz just sat at his computer reading through the GAF PS4 conference hype thread to see his reactions

YA HEAR ME SONY?

hqdefault.jpg

DC1

What a farce! I thought folks was going to jump through the camera to choke Kaz out " Why not drop everything and become an Insurance company.."

Here were some of the numbers in profit:
- The insurance division made 9 billion over the last 10 years
- I don't remember the exact number, but the entertainment division made several billion over the ast 10 years
- The electronic division (non games) had a collection 8 billion loss over the last 10 years

Kaz rebutted the notion with the following points (paraphrasing) :
1 - Sony has cut losses in the electronic sector in half within the last two years
2 - They are ahead of schedule in the projected turnaround of the E-Division
3 - Sony's will continue to delivery excellent production that will be compelling to their consumer base (references new Xperia and TVs)

DieH@rd

Banned
adobeflashplayer_2013w7ust.jpg

He's not leaving electronics behind. Cut losses, focus on better tech, promote it heavily. Thay are already on a good path.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Nah, they need to create large install base fast, and to continue pushing awesome 1st party content.

PS4 will be 400$, possibly less. Nothing in it is a complicated custom piece of tech.

Agreed, friend. I look forward to the reaction gifs when Sony announces dat sweet $399 price.

DC1

Where is it? In insurance? :D

Lol!
Yeah.. I had to fix it. Its under entertainment. Most folks incorrectly assume that its in the electronic division.

Edit:
I see your point, the slide breaks out Film and Music and then Electronics.. kind of hard to parse it that way.

farisr

Anyone has loss numbers over last 10 yeas for each of those sub-categories?

I don't think we have info for all of them. I do remember reading over and over again that their TV subcategory is the worst one and the game one was doing okay over the last few years (not a loss, but not a big profit either).

DC1

I wouldn't be so sure. Sony did a "Redistricting" of there product lines a couple of years ago and classified Gaming/PS4 as entertainment

Here are the lines/Branches:
Branches: Audio, video, television, video games and -hardware, film, finance, computer hardware, mobile devices.

Not betting my tiny toe .. I just remember them doing it and thought it was pretty darn interesting.

I wrote down some bulletpoints of the interview.

* Split off proposal include 15-20% of entertainment assets
* Discussion needs to be at the board level, serious consideration needs to be given
* Too premature to speculate, looking to outside advisors for objective review
* Looks to continue to keep entertainment business as a positive for Sony's bottom line
* With proper focus, electronics and entertainment can turn around. Electronics losses have been cut halfway already.
* Has set up a senior management team for direct reporting on 2 parts of the company.

* For the PlayStation 4, make sure we have the best and compelling games, including networking and social aspects.

* Thinks the Prime Minister's policies are heading in the right direction, too early to tell for sure.

The weakening of the yen actually hurts versus the US dollar, but helps versus the Euro and overall.

* The new Xperia phone is the first product made by Sony since the Ericcson split, compelling device for the higher-end phone market.
* Company will not just become an insurance company, proud of its heritage in electronics and entertainment content.
* For the changing climate, needs employees that understand the international markets, especially young employees.
This is a decent summary but a couple of things are missing or incorrect.

He said with the right focus the electronics biz can be profitable. The entertainment biz is very profitable at this time. (CNBC broke Sony into three sections in its sidebar: financial services, entertainment and electronics. I personally don't know where Sony puts gaming within those last two categories.)

Also, one key thing he said about any potential spinoff was that not only that entertainment helps the bottom line, but that really no other large company in the world has both a deep content AND electronics hardware biz. Content can help drive hardware. This was a key statement to me as a gamer.

Finally - you got the part about direct reports wrong. Kaz has let go all but 2 of his direct reports in the last year since becoming CEO. In other words, he fired nearly all of his management team and installed hand-picked people as they become a more integrated and focused company.

Overall a good interview for as short as it was. He's a smart guy. I have very good vibes about the next few years for the Playstation brand.

It's difficult because they messed around with the organisation for so long. At one point TVs and gaming were merged and it was very difficult to get a fix on what was responsible for the losses.

The only figure I know for 100% is that the TV division has lost around $8bn over the last 9 years. It's Sony's biggest money sink without a doubt, worse than PS3 IMO.

Just watched it. Very interesting interview, but my god that woman's voice is annoying.

Kaz seems damn certain that the electronics business can be turned around. How much of that 8 billion dollar loss was in the last few years versus the early 2000s?

Top Bottom