• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot selects their overall Game of the Year for 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

andymcc

Banned
Or the people shitting on it because: "Zombie game" or "Interactive movie" lol.

I haven't played TLOU yet (I'm getting TLOU PS3 bundle for Christmas as my launch PS3 died) but the shooting mechancis in Naughty Dog games always leave me a bit cold. I don't expect this game to be that much improved mechanically but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Shaffield

i liked ALBW a lot, but its not even close to New Leaf of Fire Emblem imo. its perfection of 2D Zelda, but that only goes so far for me.

glad to see a game like this win an overall GOTY tho, some of the competition was way over-hyped this year

Let me show you something This and This Take note of the developers. Then tell me its a first party game. Nintendo gave them money and feedback but saying Nintendo made that game is just inaccurate.

I never said Nintendo made the game. I said its a first-party game, the same way Ratchet and Clank is a first-party Sony game and Gears of War is a first-party Microsoft game.

You uh

you do know the definition of first-party right

Makai

Deserved. If you're surprised, you probably haven't played it. I certainly wasn't excited from the launch trailer.

Zelda kinda looks like same old shit to me, but I've never played it so I don't know if it's a good GOTY pick. Hespect da unknown, das it.

Sanic

Let me show you something This and This Take note of the developers. Then tell me its a first party game. Nintendo gave them money and feedback but saying Nintendo made that game is just inaccurate.

Here, how about another way of looking at it: The game would not exist without Nintendo.

Regardless of who/what is producing it, it's a game that would not be stepping on any of your retread/rehash "rules", right? Nintendo allowed this game to exist.

i liked ALBW a lot, but its not even close to New Leaf of Fire Emblem imo. its perfection of 2D Zelda, but that only goes so far for me.

glad to see a game like this win an overall GOTY tho, some of the competition was way over-hyped this year

Yea - Fire Emblem should be the de facto GOTY if we're going by quality standards.

I haven't played TLOU yet (I'm getting TLOU PS3 bundle for Christmas as my launch PS3 died) but the shooting mechancis in Naughty Dog games always leave me a bit cold. I don't expect this game to be that much improved mechanically but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Well, i hope you enjoy it as much as i did. It's really outstanding.

The shooting mechanics, i think, are quite appropiate for the whole world depicted, and personally i didn't have any problems with them. (and i'm not really well experienced on third person shooters, btw)

it's because it's an snes remake that changes only a few things but i didn't say that it's an snes remake it's but it's not about the game it's about nintendo but also the game is probably good but also probably not changed so it's about the game isn't different too but not about the game

I laughed.

Great to see ALBW pick up a GOTY award. Great game so far, although I don't think it will beat Fire Emblem for me.

Some of the posts in this thread and the comment section of that site have to be joke posts right? Right?

It's so weird. This type of comment I generally only see on gaf and it is really frequent (especially in a certain thread/discussion). But it is the overall dismissing of everyones points and never offering any rebuttal or true solid opinion. Just some way to be actively, "superior" in a discussion without having to hold to an opinion.

I think Dota 2 brings up an interesting issue. The game was in beta for years. It may have been officially released this year but many have been playing it for years. They even had a major tournament for the game in 2012. Can you really call it a 2013 game considering such? I don't. I think we need to update our definition of "released" now that "officially released" has become somewhat arbitrary.

If that is going to be the criteria then Dota 2 should have won goty in 2011 when it first was available to the public. Or last year when it was in restricted beta. It didn't because it wasnt considered to be released yet

People can argue for this game and that all they want but the numbers dont lie. And the numbers are astounding. Dota 2 is by far the biggest game to be released this year. As I said earlier, there are more people playing Dota 2 then every other game on Steam combined. And the number of players just keeps going up. I'd bet that by this time next year there will be 1 million players daily. And who knows where it will go from there.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I will say, I kind of wish Gamespot copied Giantbomb and recorded their deliberations, just because it'd be funny to see people react to how Zelda got selected.

Fehyd

Banned
I still liked TLoU more but I can understand why they chose what they chose. Its not really something to get riled up about. All great games worth playing and experiencing.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I will say, I kind of wish Gamespot copied Giantbomb and recorded their deliberations, just because it'd be funny to see people react to how Zelda got selected.

People have mentioned GiantBomb a few times, is there a video of them going over GotY stuff? Is it the latest Bombcast?

Certainly unexpected, but it really is an awesome, awesome game. It was one on my favorites to be sure, but I would have never thought they would actually choose it. It's really...gameplay focused lol

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I probably would have chosen between TLOU, ALBW or GTA5.

TLOU for its fantastic story-driven game setup that took its fans on an emotional rollercoaster ride. Possibly one of the best game at characterizations and character development in this whole generation. You felt for the two main characters and felt like you lost friends when you finished your game because they felt so real.

ALBW for its magnificent pure gameplay design that screams fun to every players who got their hands on the game. Contains a variety of of the most creative puzzle and dungeon designs that made you yell, made you scratch your head, but ultimately made you feel completely satisfied when you figured out the puzzles.

GTA5 for its sheer amount of content and world available for you to explore. How long does it take to 100% this game ? Possibly nobody will know. It's a game of endless funny as random activities can turn into a comedy of police chase, car jump tricks, creating chaos in the city and then some. After single-player, go online for some multiplayer fun and create chaos with friends too.

Can't go wrong with any of those three at least. I've only played those three though :p

-Horizon-

It's so weird. This type of comment I generally only see on gaf and it is really frequent (especially in a certain thread/discussion). But it is the overall dismissing of everyones points and never offering any rebuttal or true solid opinion. Just some way to be actively, "superior" in a discussion without having to hold to an opinion.

Maybe, just maybe, some of these posts don't acknowledge that this is more of the site's opinion on what they most enjoyed this year. Do you know the context of my post? It was more focused on the fact that some people say that GS is "wrong" with their choice. How the heck can you be wrong if its their decision based on what they experienced? Its like me saying I really liked Gravity Rush, it was my favorite game of the year and then someone comes up to me and says "nope, you're wrong".
People seem to be way too emotionally invested in what a site says. Seems like people only care to add it to their arsenal in the console/company war that their game "won".

AniHawk

A Handheld GOTY?

Definitely surprised.

a japanese handheld game of the year. i know it's zelda, but this is a unicorn.

i'm looking forward to playing it. i love zelda, but i have no idea how this is so well-received (yet). i'm trying to keep my expectations in check.

for me, the best games of the year are a bunch of platformers, and i wouldn't have it any other way. the last of us is also up there, which speaks to the quality of the type of game it is when i normally don't enjoy that kind of thing. i mean if i like it, then others must really love it.

a japanese handheld game of the year. i know it's zelda, but this is a unicorn.

i'm looking forward to playing it. i love zelda, but i have no idea how this is so well-received (yet). i'm trying to keep my expectations in check.

for me, the best games of the year are a bunch of platformers, and i wouldn't have it any other way. the last of us is also up there, which speaks to the quality of the type of game it is when i normally don't enjoy that kind of thing. i mean if i like it, then others must really love it.

There are western handheld games?

Sorry Tearaway

Maybe, just maybe, some of these posts don't acknowledge that this is more of the site's opinion on what they most enjoyed this year. Do you know the context of my post? It was more focused on the fact that some people say that GS is "wrong" with their choice. How the heck can you be wrong if its their decision based on what they experienced? Its like me saying I really liked Gravity Rush, it was my favorite game of the year and then someone comes up to me and says "nope, you're wrong".
People seem to be way too emotionally invested in what a site says. Seems like people only care to add it to their arsenal in the console/company war that their game "won".

There you go! You just said what you "meant", without sounding overall condescending and as if you don't have an actual valid opinion on the subject. And I absolutely agree with your point! It is stupid to hold that much stock on one persons opinion, especially in the case of websites giving out their GOTY winners (it is usually a mess of conflicting opinions to get one answer).

I'm just so tired of the overused, "You are joking right?" on gaf.

Chuckpebble

I forgot they do that. Is that just part of their podcast? I've had a hard time listening to them lately because its hard to find the time.

-Horizon-

There you go! You just said what you "meant", without sounding overall condescending and as if you don't have an actual valid opinion on the subject. And I absolutely agree with your point! It is stupid to hold that much stock on one persons opinion, especially in the case of websites giving out their GOTY winners (it is usually a mess of conflicting opinions to get one answer).

I'm just so tired of the overused, "You are joking right?" on gaf.

But I like being part of arrogant GAF :(
I'll try to stop using these types of comments but no promises

Mariolee

Gamespot really screwed the pooch on this one.

I've read through the entire thread, and you guys just don't get it: when a website chooses Game of the Year, they have a certain responsibility. Think about it, the gaming media has a lot of power over the minds of gamers. Where do we go for our gaming news? These websites. Where do we go for gaming reviews? These websites. Where do we go for analysis and predictions of companies that may or may not be wrong but take them as fact in our console war threads anyway? These fucking websites.

You see, it's not about what is the most fun game, but about the best game! And I'm sorry you guys, but Link Between Two Worlds is just objectionally not the best game. Reviewers should look at how much money was invested into these games, how much production time went into it, how much the story affects us emotionally. It's not about fun, it's about content. It's about experience.

And now, Gamespot has really screwed up. Now gamers are going to look at this handheld game and think it might be better than The Last of Us. THE LAST OF US. Do you know how many Game of the Year awards that got!? Jeez Gamespot.

Worst of all, now Nintendo is going to think that making titles like Link Between Two Worlds is alright. They're going to keep pumping out these SNES remakes and think that, "Oh, this will be fun for a new generation herp derp hope they like it." They won't learn that it's not about fun anymore! And it's all thanks to websites like Gamespot and all the man-children that bought Link Between Two Worlds.

Hope you guys enjoy your new gaming future, I'm out.

pompidu

why do the have "game of the year" and not "games of the year"? There was a lot of amazing games this past year and it seems kinda hacky to prioritize one over the others.

To be fair, a lot of the vitriol toward TLoU is probably from Nintendo fanboys without a PS3 who never played TLoU. Whenever someone says TLoU doesn't have gameplay, that person has absolutely no idea what they're talking about.

But again, ALBW is absolutely deserving of GOTY. I'm nearly positive it will get my vote. TLoU will be second. The hard part is deciding the order of #3-10!

I love nintendo, but I have played The Last of Us and it is a great game that is definitely GOTY worthy.

It's an either/or situation. Playing both games, I can see why either could win a game of the year award.

slit

I've read through the entire thread, and you guys just don't get it: when a website chooses Game of the Year, they have a certain responsibility. Think about it, the gaming media has a lot of power over the minds of gamers. Where do we go for our gaming news? These websites. Where do we go for gaming reviews? These websites. Where do we go for analysis and predictions of companies that may or may not be wrong but take them as fact in our console war threads anyway? These fucking websites.

You see, it's not about what is the most fun game, but about the best game! And I'm sorry you guys, but Link Between Two Worlds is just objectionally not the best game. Reviewers should look at how much money was invested into these games, how much production time went into it, how much the story affects us emotionally. It's not about fun, it's about content. It's about experience.

And now, Gamespot has really screwed up. Now gamers are going to look at this handheld game and think it might be better than The Last of Us. THE LAST OF US. Do you know how many Game of the Year awards that got!? Jeez Gamespot.

Worst of all, now Nintendo is going to think that making titles like Link Between Two Worlds is alright. They're going to keep pumping out these SNES remakes and think that, "Oh, this will be fun for a new generation herp derp hope they like it." They won't learn that it's not about fun anymore! And it's all thanks to websites like Gamespot and all the man-children that bought Link Between Two Worlds.

This is a parody, right, RIGHT! It has to be.

This cannot be real.

Tookay

Brilliant.

Recall

Who gives a shit what someone else thinks the best game of the year is? All I get from this is that all you wanted is validation of your own choice and since that didn't happen you spat your dummy out.

Opinions are not fact, game of the year is opinion.

Or I'm bring trolled. No idea :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom