• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Mickey all encompassing info thread. First direct feed shots, London event.

Banned
Zoe said:
I'm disappointed but not surprised in the least. Warren Spector was very much about innovation during his game design course, and it was pretty obvious how much he liked the Wii.
What game design course

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That cover is insane. Really looking forward to the game.

Blizzard said:
This looks like a Country Bear or something after acid. File calls it a "Beetle Thing"
mm7rko.jpg

This game is gonna be fuckin sick.

Hot. Can't wait to read more about this and see the first screens; Mickey himself being made of liquid ink could make for some interesting gameplay mechanics.

And c'mon, it was a given to all but the most delusional that Wii would be the lead SKU, at a minimum. "Wii Game" in that artist's resume, Wiimotes and NDEVs on the desks...

Wasn't expecting Epic Mickey to be the actual title, though.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Do we know anything else? Is this like Kingdom hearts but without the FF stuff, traversing a number of Disney worlds, or is it more like Okami, with one world? Or neither?

Realizing concept art has surprisingly little to do with system power.

Not that I'm not a graphics whore, mind you. I don't think the 360 or PS3 should even get exclusive games when they could be better on the PC. But realizing an art style is up to the art designers of the game, resolution doesn't suddenly make Gears a sudden artistic dream nor does it take away from Galaxy's extremely effective artstyle.

But let's not pretend for a second this whining is about expressing the artstyle accurately.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
stuminus3 said:
For some reason, I thought this was always a Wii game. o_O

Guess I should pay more attention.
It was strongly rumored as such, and there was plenty of evidence, but there was no official confirmation and the constant whining led to "special measures" till the platform got officialized (now).

LM4sure

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
So remember this thread the first time around? Keep that in mind.

exactly. you just know people who once thought it looked great will call it a piece of crap since it's on the Wii. I'm still excited for it.

Thinking about it... isn't this like, the first "AAA" third-party Wii game? Like, it's not a spinoff, it's being developed by serious talent instead of a B-team, its publisher and IP will no doubt ensure it will be well advertised, and from what little we know it'll contain "core" elements but still take advantage of the Wii. The only other example I can think of is Monster Hunter 3.

Anyway, artwork looks beautiful. Can't wait for screens and details.

Haunted

Huelen, stop posting that pos fanart please.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Seems pretty reasonable. Interesting game becomes uninteresting due to platform, nothing strange about that.
AltogetherAndrews
Banned
(Today, 06:13 PM)

Oh AA, you'll never learn.

schuelma said:
Kind of like your full member status!
:lol

Very interested in the genre now. Action-Adventure?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Huelen, you creep me out.

It looks action-adventurey more than platformer just based on the art I think. A Zelda/Okami style game would be really cool. I think-- at least historically-- that's what WS has been good at anyway.

GhaleonEB

Bummer. I was interested, and had gotten an in-law who is Mickey-obsessed interested, but doesn't own a Wii. Art looks fantastic, and I was assuming it would be on all consoles.

TunaLover

The cover art is the greatest thing that we able to witness in this whole generation, Mickey is melting in paint, too awesome.

FoneBone

EmCeeGramr said:
Thinking about it... isn't this like, the first "AAA" third-party Wii game? Like, it's not a spinoff, it's being developed by serious talent instead of a B-team, its publisher and IP will no doubt ensure it will be well advertised, and from what little we know it'll contain "core" elements but still take advantage of the Wii.
As far as Western devs go, definitely. If we're talking first, period, then you get into debates over what actually constitutes AAA from Japanese developers (and yeah, MH3, at minimum, definitely counts).

I'm very excited about this. I can't wait to see screenshots and how it plays. Maybe you'll have to bring back the colors to the world with your brush? You'll probably have to kill the enemies with it so will it be like Okami? Lots of questions.

stuminus3

Jocchan said:
It was strongly rumored as such, and there was plenty of evidence...
Ah, that's probably why.

If you'd have told me 5 years ago that Warren Spector would be making a Mickey Mouse game for Disney, and he'd be making it on the current console leader's system which was primarily known for it's crazy motion controls, and that system was made by Nintendo... actually, forget that, my mind is still blown.

Curiouser and curiouser!

mclem

Since no-one's said it, and since that's our first new bit of concept art in quite some time:

The castle's old news, but Haunted Mansion! IT'S A SMALL WORLD!

They actually managed to make It's a Small World look sinister!

Yeah, I'm impressed. Don't really like the logo though, but I'm another who thought "Epic Mickey" worked as a WIP title but not as a final.

gkryhewy

Aside from the concept of the game itself, which looks phenomenal, I'm really interested to finally see what a high-budget, high-production value 3rd Party Wii game will look like.

If this game approaches SMG production values with that concept, it could be something pretty spectacular.

Odrion

Banned
That cover looks much cooler than the older "surreal" concept drawings. I want to see how this translate to the Wii.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
EmCeeGramr said:
Thinking about it... isn't this like, the first "AAA" third-party Wii game? Like, it's not a spinoff, it's being developed by serious talent instead of a B-team, its publisher and IP will no doubt ensure it will be well advertised, and from what little we know it'll contain "core" elements but still take advantage of the Wii. The only other example I can think of is Monster Hunter 3.

Dragon Quest X

Top Bottom