• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kellogg's to open upscale cereal bar in New York City, grand opening on July 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

jax

Banned
They stole my idea. I wanted to open something like this, but in Tokyo with imported US cereals.

Holy shit, that reviewer has horrible taste. Doesn't like cereal, doesn't like milk in his cereal. Puts pineapple and Poptarts in his cereal.

Wonder what his GAF account is.

Yeah, that girl he was with in the video is right. He weird.

We had a couple of these pointless bloody cafe's open up in London a couple of years ago

'Cereal killer' I believe is what they're branded under

4 quid for a bowl of fucking cornflakes

Ah thanks. That was it.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
There was an store in NC who did this, but the catch was that it was an ice cream parlor.

Pick your ice cream and pick your favorite cereal. Genius.

French Vanilla and cinnamon toast crunch every time.

This is definitely not something I can fathom spending money on. I can get two boxes of cereal and a half gallon of milk for a little bit more than what they're charging for a bowl of cereal.

There was an store in NC who did this, but the catch was that it was an ice cream parlor.

Pick your ice cream and pick your favorite cereal. Genius.

French Vanilla and cinnamon toast crunch every time.

See that's a creative use of cereal that sounds delicious and worth paying for.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
LA > NYC confirmed.

Pretty sure they already tried this in LA and it failed. Guess that finally settles the debate on what's the best coast.

Davidion

Hahaha, you people actually think that it's "hipsters" driving any of this.

Kindly look to your neighborhood tourists for the real culprit.

Can't wait to open my sandwich shop on 7th and Broadway ^_^
img_5844_156999231.jpg

53f0deb185faf.jpeg

more-struggle-food-11.png

Entropia

No One Remembers
I'm not sure those two things are necessarily related?

It was mostly a joke comment. But this comment from a CBC article is interesting as it relates to a 'cereal bar'

Pressed for time, consumers are springing for the cheap breakfast sandwich to go at McDonald's or Tim Hortons. Breakfast now accounts for 12 per cent of America's restaurant industry, adding up to a $42-billion US business every year.

In August, Kellogg, the world’s top cereal maker, reported a 16 per cent drop in profits.

In the U.S., overall cereal sales have fallen about two to three per cent per year since 2010. Instead, more people are stocking their fridges and cupboards with protein-packed Greek yogurt, eggs and fibre-heavy oatmeal.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/winds...cially-ends-cereal-production-today-1.2867538

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Well if this is how they're going to play it then I'm going to work with Campbell's Soup to open a soup based restaurant in San Francisco. All they sell is Campbell's Soup with some extra ingredients thrown in and they charge $12 to $15 a bowl.

Fuck it, I'm opening a Folger's Coffee House next door and selling Folgers coffee for Starbucks prices.

Grizzo

we already have something like this here in Paris

I don't get it either since you could buy yourself a whole box of cereals for the same price, but to each their own I guess

ezekial45

Banned
I remember there was a cereal bar that opened up in SF some time ago. It was neat, but too pricey. It didn't last long, though. I guess the novelty faded, or the fact that you were paying $7-8 for a bowl of cereal dawned on everyone.

Rootbeer

Banned

I like it. I just don't like the pricing. Bit much.

We have cereal bars in SF and nearby Pixar Studios is famous for having one on their campus, so it's definitely not new, but it's a trend I kind of dig. Just get those prices within reason please!

There is no excuse for a $7.5 bowl of cereal when an entire BOX of cereal runs about $2 to $3. After you factor in the convenience, 'premium' milk they use, the toppings like fresh fruit and cost of running the business, it should be more around $5, $6 at the high end. They can ditch things like the useless bag they serve it in (why???) to save on costs.

Dynomutt

I would usually dismiss this but people will pay. We had a "cereal bar" in college in the main dining hall. The line stayed wrapped out the door all morning. About $5.50 for a bowl of cereal. They made a killing.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Hipsters look like Amish people ?

The Amish are the ultimate hipsters. They were bearded, dressed funny, and did their own thing despite the disapproving views of those around them. They made being uncool cool before it was uncool.

The audience is there. These two dudes have made a hell of a living these past few years. Now expanding globally too

http://www.cerealkillercafe.co.uk/menus/

I think it's a doable idea if the price is decent and you treat it like a casual cafe/restaurant, like this one appears to be. I think it's DOA in Times Square simply because there's so many better options for your money there. But what do I know, when I went to PAX a few years ago, people were lined up to get fucking subway instead of exploring all the cool options in the area.

All that being said, whoever buys a poptart from them deserves to have their wallet stolen.

VanWinkle

Was there some movie or TV show where a character owned or worked at a cereal restaurant or something like this? Seeing this thread title jogged up some weird little memory and I don't know if it was even real or not.

General Mills did something similar at the Mall of America as part of their "Cereal Adventure" attraction. It didn't last long, but it was also geared towards kids with parents unwilling to spend money on something they brought with them in ziplock plastic baggies.

90%20Mall%20Of%20America%201501.JPG

Makes me think that if I were going to travel, a continental breakfast buffet would serve the same purpose and would negate the whole purpose of going there. I could also do this at home as many others have said.

You can get cereal in bulk at winco for so much cheaper. You can get anything in bulk for so much cheaper at winco. I love winco.

cereal is my favorite food

Same, blamespace. Same.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
There is no excuse for a $7.5 bowl of cereal when an entire BOX of cereal runs about $2 to $3. After you factor in the convenience, 'premium' milk they use, the toppings like fresh fruit and cost of running the business, it should be more around $5, $6 at the high end. They can ditch things like the useless bag they serve it in (why???) to save on costs.

Yeah, I can see the concept taking off, but if my bowl of cereal is more than a sausage, egg, and cheese, it's really hard to justify.

EYEL1NER

I have always wanted to go to a cereal bar (something with a multitude of option you fix yourself like either a buffet or a frozen yogurt place like Sweet Frog, not an $8 a bowl hipster joint) but forget a cereal bar that only carries one company's cereal. You need every cereal there, with the options to mix-n-match wildly different types of them into one bowl.

GamerSoul

One of the best parts about eating a bowl of cereal nowadays is just chilling on the couch, feet up. They should as some comfy couches or something....on second thought nevermind people would probably stay for hours lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom