• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Grev 2x Love] Strania (XBLA, Worldwide, 800MSP) + Mamoru-kun (PS3, JP)

Slermy said:
Thanks for that info. I'm still not sold on Mamoru-kun though, what makes it so awesome? I've seen a few videos and it just isn't grabbing me.

Einhander.

I would say the game is an acquired taste, as it's a acrolling shooter (where you move up and progress on your own) and not "traditional".
Try out the demo on Japanese Playstation Store (need to make JP account).

While you're there, Einhander is there for you too. :) (very strange Square just released some huge PS1 RPG's to US PSN but still missing stuff like Einhander or Egheiz, no hope at this point so if you haven't, buy the JP ver, unless you have an old disc copy).

Slermy

I'd never sell my Einhander disc! I bought it before I had a Playstation, it was my personal system seller. :)

Thanks for the additional info, I guess I'll try making that Japanese account.

Corto

Does anyone know the average delivery days from play-asia to Europe? They have up to 21 days on the option that I selected...

Edit: Yeah... The JPN PSN Store is filled with treasures to the genre enthusiast. Do Don Pachi, Zanac X Zanac, Einhander, G Darius, RayStorm, Gaia Seed, Kyuin (I've yet to buy this, but it's well recommended)...

Added trophies to the Mamoru-kun entry!

Also got my copy yesterday but haven't had time to play.

Right now I'm using the Japanese stage names for the OP, but once I get home and familiarize myself with the game again, I'll replace those with generic names like "Jungle stage" etc. Will add screenshots tonight too.

Btw, someone asked about the game difficulty, I would say that it's somewhat challenging. Learning the levels is very doable, but not running out of time can be hard when you first start playing so it's important to crank the walking speed up and save time on some levels.

danmaku

danmaku said:
Totally forgot about Strania. Donwloading the demo...

Played the demo: the first stage is good, the second one is awful. I hate the shmups that restrain you in very tight spaces. How's the rest of the game?

danmaku said:
Played the demo: the first stage is good, the second one is awful. I hate the shmups that restrain you in very tight spaces. How's the rest of the game?

Almost every stage has at least one section like that. The terrain plays a pretty big role in the game. I think they do a pretty good job with it, but stuff like that only bothers me when you take damage from touching the walls.

Yeah, Death Smiles is ideal, but I don't mind the terrain at all in Strania. The beginning of stage 2 is a little boring because it's so slow, but the later stages are fast and fun.

FYI, to get the actual ending + credits and fight the TLB, you have to play on Hard or Expert. Hard mode is pretty good, I've been playing some of that today. Expert is tough because every enemy shoots suicide bullets. I played some of that in co-op for an hour or two and it wasn't pretty.

The TLB is tough at first, but once you figure out the trick to fighting him he's not so bad. And when you fight the TLB, you can't continue. If you run out of lives, game over. Makes unlocking him to practice in training mode a bit of a bitch.

I picked up Strania last night and I'm enjoying it a lot. I'm not that great at shmups so I've only made it up to the boss of the third level so far. While I do suck, I find that everytime I start a new game, I get a little farther, and last a little longer without getting hit. So I'll put some more time in this weekend and hopefully I can actually beat the game.

I also tried the demo for Mamoru. While I think it's enjoyable, I can't see myself spending 80 bucks or so to import it. If I can ever find it for pretty cheap then I'll probably grab it.

BentMyWookiee said:
I picked up Strania last night and I'm enjoying it a lot. I'm not that great at shmups so I've only made it up to the boss of the third level so far.

You'll get used to the third boss soon, I think it's easier than the 2nd boss now. But about that 4th boss...

-------------------------------------

So, I sat down with Mamoru-kun PS3 version tonight and hmm...I can't recommend this over the 360 version.

1. Initial menu load is slightly less, but there's more score uploading instances so it feels longer all around. Given that the 360 version already had slow loading, this is a disappointment.

2. Game came up with some bizarre controller setting for my HRAP3: I could only curse, and couldn't fire shot. After exiting and fidgeting with the settings, I realized that I had to turn off the analog stick setting. I guess the new Meikai Gekijou mode is optimized for standard controllers (like Deathsmiles 1.1). So there was no shot button. Still, the fact that it can't recognize a joystick when this is standard equipment for shooters is pretty shocking. Anyways, fixed the settings and got things back to normal, but I could easily see a newbie being baffled by something like that.

3. The new Meikai Gekijou mode is basically full of "courses" that you run through, and which combine levels together and tweak settings to make things easier or harder. Pretty fun, and in full 16:9. What is not fun is that every time you beat one of these levels (and there are apparently over 90 of them), you send score, then exit all the way to the main menu, instead of the course menu you just came from...wtf? Boggling UI decisions that waste a lot of time.

4. Freezes are being reported on 2ch, possibly related to online play.

Seems there's going to have to be a patch for this game at some point. Apparently they're already working on one for Strania where the issues aren't as bad.

I'm going to put some more time into Mamoru-kun PS3, but I might wait for a patch before going all-in.

low-G

<3 Strania. dat music.

Mamoru isn't that great IMO. I'm a big fan of Pocky & Rocky, and it doesn't quite hit the notes.

LiK

got mine

mamoru.jpg

Bought Strania last night and it's fucking excellent. Love the weapon system and the typical G-Rev minimalistic art direction. Only missing a small intro movie or at least pics. Well, the story is in the "how to play" section at least.

I didn't understand at first that the weapon slot pick ups depend on the side of your ship.

Also had a look at the credits, I had no idea that G-Rev is SO SMALL.

Got a 14.0 million score on Normal and got all weapons to 1-dan by the end, so I think I'm pretty much done with that mode for now. I want to start playing Hard and Expert, but the leaderboards aren't updating scores any more, so screw it. Hopefully they fix that soon. So I guess I'll start working toward the Weapon Master achievement.

If it weren't for Hard Corps Uprising, Strania would easily be the XBLA GotY. Such an awesome game.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
iconoclast said:
If it weren't for Hard Corps Uprising, Strania would easily be the XBLA GotY. Such an awesome game.
I have the demo for Strania on my hard drive, but it's not getting any love atm because of Shift 2 Unleashed.

I'm going to have to fire up the demo now...

iconoclast said:

It is my favourite shmup this gen by far (Granted I don't get to play many in PAL land). I think it's better than Under Defeat and in the area of Border Down. I love you G.Rev!

Btw, this is a horrible thread title. Pure coincidence that I even clicked this thread. Way too obscure.

Tain

iconoclast said:
Got a 14.0 million score on Normal and got all weapons to 1-dan by the end, so I think I'm pretty much done with that mode for now. I want to start playing Hard and Expert, but the leaderboards aren't updating scores any more, so screw it. Hopefully they fix that soon. So I guess I'll start working toward the Weapon Master achievement.

I don't think there's an original game on XBLA that can come anywhere close to these two.

schennmu said:
Btw, this is a horrible thread title. Pure coincidence that I even clicked this thread. Way too obscure.

Am going to ask a mod to add XBLA to the Strania part of the thread title. Any other suggestions?

--------------------------
So, Strania.

Finally got the hang of stage 4 boss, and got to stage 5 boss. Got killed there, but I can get the hang of that level. Beat the stage 6 boss after a bunch of practicing, crazy boss but tameable.

Think I might be on my way to a 1CC.

One question: how do you get to Stage 7? Was just continuing after stage 5, and after I beat Stage 6 it said "Try next level" after a Game Over screen. Is that the TLB?

adversesolutions said:
Am going to ask a mod to add XBLA to the Strania part of the thread title. Any other suggestions?

Something like this? Not expecting to get tons of people in here, but maybe it would help a little :)

G.rev Double Love (japanese cult dev) - Strania [XBLA all regions] + Mamoru-kun [jp] PS3!

Ok, put in a request.

--------------

Strania Normal CLEAR.

I think this was a lot harder for me than it was for Iconoclast lol...

I was consistently no-missing up to stage 5 boss, then losing about two lives there. I would get to the last boss with 4 or 5 lives, and getting close...

Then I made it all the way to the last boss with 6 lives. I thought it was a cinch. But the boss came with some seriously ridiculous patterns immediately, like the boot to the side of the screen with the elbow and then the giant bomb that is just chaos to dodge. Lost 5 lives but finally put it down.

I realized I wasn't done, I knew about the laser attack after he died but...I ate shit on the very last attack.

Much nerd rage later, I got back at it and managed to clear the game with 2 lives in stock.

At this point I know the stage 4 boss really well. The only bosses I have trouble with are 5 and 6. Very unsure that I could clear Hard though. It's going to take some practice considering there's a whole other boss out there...

Anyways, Strania is XBLA GOTY so far.

Aaron

Even as a G.Rev fan, Strania really surprised me. I only played the demo for less than a minute before I had to buy it. Love the weapon mechanics, the big bosses, the whole look and feel.

Stage 7 is the TLB, yeah. You have to play Hard or Expert to access the fight, it's not there on Normal. It's an odd fight, but it's a pretty awesome way to end the game.

Aaron said:
Even as a G.Rev fan, Strania really surprised me. I only played the demo for less than a minute before I had to buy it. Love the weapon mechanics, the big bosses, the whole look and feel.

I love all the camera changes. Grev is probably the only shooter dev around anymore that puts so much effort into a cinematic approach to game making.

iconoclast said:
Stage 7 is the TLB, yeah. You have to play Hard or Expert to access the fight, it's not there on Normal. It's an odd fight, but it's a pretty awesome way to end the game.

Ok cool. Btw, I updated the OP with info on the scoring system and differences between the difficulties. Can you take a glance and let me know if I have anything wrong?

-----------------------
Op updated:

image_01.png

-Strania scoring system, difficulty basic breakdown added
-Mamoru-kun costumes added
-Title updated (thanks Duckroll!)

It looks good, but there's a few things worth noting. In a scoring run, it's pointless to advance your weapon past 1-dan. 1-dan will give you a million point bonus at the end, and even if you get your weapon to 10-dan, it doesn't change how many points you earn. So it's best to ditch a weapon after getting it to 1-dan and use something new. If you do that, you'll be able to upgrade every weapon to 1-dan by the end of the game and get a fat 9 million point clear bonus.

Also, there are no suicide bullets on Hard. It's not too different from Normal mode really: the bullets move a little faster, some enemies actually shoot bullets instead of doing nothing (those popcorn enemies at the start of stage 1 for example), and the patterns are a little harder. I think anyone who can clear normal can do Hard as well with a little more practice.

And yeah, I love all of the 'cinematic' shots with the camera in this game. If you are going to make a 2.5D shooter, take advantage of it, I say.

Tain

Just now hit stage 5. Way behind! Sword definitely seems like the way to go on the stage 4 boss, though. I might be getting used to him.

On the downside, I don't like some of the swooping camera downtime going on in this game. Annoyed me in Gradius V as well.

Daigoro

glad this was posted. forgot this game was coming out.

gonna check out the demo tomorrow.

Aaron said:

good to hear. im a Grev fan for life after Under Defeat.

simtmb

I can't believe i completely forgot about these two releases, even though i had already paid for the Mamoru LE, i didn't remember till seeing this thread.

I played the demo of Strania first and didn't exactly like the weapon system, until i bought the full game.

Only played it for around 10mins but i quite like it.

Nice, looks like we'll have some Mamoru-kun action in here soon.

The UI is pretty annoying for this release but I have to admit the mission structure of Meikai Gekijou mode is really growing on me. Really fun to go through levels, beat grips of them and unlock trophies.

Another complaint I have about this game though: the character Nowa is just insanely overpowered. She has homing bats that hit everything on-screen. To a certain extent it's a good thing since newcomers to the game can pick her up and own really quickly with her. But she is massively balance breaking I would think.

Thankfully there are lots of trophies for beating modes with particular characters and/or certain characters on certain levels (Story Mode), so it's not a huge issue.

----------------------

Played some more Strania tonight. Got to the TLB by continuing, good lord that fight seems impossible given that you take such a beating from the Stage 6 boss...don't see myself doing that no-continue...

Spent some more time with the Missions in Meikai Gekijou last night. These really are a lot of fun.

Basically there's about 5 for each category, and some of them are really really hard. You eventually get used to the default stages which are carried over from the arcade version. There are a bunch of courses that just put these stages in different order. With enough practice you can get through.

What is really hard however! iiiss the "&#21610;&#12356;" mode, which gives you an insanely tiny amount of time to clear levels. If you run out of time, you don't die. A little death character comes out and starts chasing you down. You can actually dodge him for quite awhile, and in some of these courses you have to go through boss fights with 4 of these death characters hunting your ass.

You can see one of them here:

image_05.jpg

I managed to clear two of these stages, but the third one is really hard. You have to beat the water level, and there are four Deaths chasing you down on the tiny little Manta Ray that you ride on during the boss fight. There's just not enough room to dodge...not sure how to get through this one.

Have been going hard on Mamoru-kun. Trophies at 72%. Would be higher actually.

I've been working on the Meikai Gekijou Mode. I managed to beat the &#21610; course (with the death enemies) although it was a huge pain in the ass. I'm now on the last course of the last set when...game freezes on me, locks up my PS3.

I had thought freezes were only happening in Story and Arcade mode, but looks like it's Meikai Gekijou mode as well.

Might play off and on, but until this gets patched, I'm not going to risk major disappointment.

BTW I have like no PS3 friends, so add me: adversity1 if you're playing the game.

I'm slowly getting better at Strania. I managed to make it all the way to stage 5 without dying. But I got a game over on the stage 6 boss. While I still haven't beaten the game yet, I'm really enjoying it so far!

How many stages are there?

LiK

holy crap, got Strania and it's so hard. i can only make it to stage 4. i really need to figure out which weapons i wanna stick with for each stage.

I am really bad at shmups, but for some reason I still feel obliged to buy them all. Especially if they are as awesome as Strania!

BentMyWookiee said:
I'm slowly getting better at Strania. I managed to make it all the way to stage 5 without dying. But I got a game over on the stage 6 boss. While I still haven't beaten the game yet, I'm really enjoying it so far!

How many stages are there?

Just Practice Mode the shit out of that Stage 6 boss and you're on your way to the 1CC.

Good luck!

Gaspode_T

Get Strania folks, you guys want all of the f'ing awesome shooters coming out in Japan this Spring to hit the US/UK

I still suck at it but it's the most fun I've had as a flying robot since Robo Aleste on the Sega CD

If you want to see an example of a bad shooter review, here you go:

http://www.destructoid.com/review-strania-the-stella-machina-198826.phtml

-----------------------
Update on my Mamoru-kun progress.

1020/1080 on 360 version (this is pretty easily comp-able if you just get used to the bosses).

72% on PS3 version (stuck on last course of Meikai Gekijou mode. This final mission jacks up the rank on all the levels and bosses and has you go through them in order. Thankfully the final bosses aren't in the order, but the last stage is the castle stage at nearly max rank. Given that it's in 16:9 you get enemies flying in from all angles of the screen while you already have tons to deal with in front of you).

I think I can 100% both, just going to take a little time.

Waiting for the Strania patch before I put any more time into it.

Yes Boss!

On Mamoru-PS3 what do the two top japanese selections translate as? I know one is the Meikai Gekijou mode but what is the second one?

And the default twin-stick settings threw me for a loop for about ten minutes till I figured out how to change them.

Adverse, don't have internet now but add me and when I get it up and running I'll confirm:

PSN: paquin

Too many shooters recently...have not gotten to much of them since 3DS came out. Strania seems neat and different, though. Nice to get one of these games for only $10 for once.

2nd option is "Meikai Gekijou Mode Practice". Humorously useless since you can't stage select and the max amount of lives you can crank it to is 5 while default is 3...

Will add you when I get home!

Yes Boss!

adversesolutions said:
2nd option is "Meikai Gekijou Mode Practice". Humorously useless since you can't stage select and the max amount of lives you can crank it to is 5 while default is 3...

Will add you when I get home!
Ah, makes sense. They seemed identical to me.

Seems like this version is the better one since it still retains all the stuff from the 360 version plus the extra new stuff.

Lol, not used to hitting O and X for forward and back on menu screens for shooters...constantly cancelling my selection by mistake.

Tain

Gaspode_T said:
Get Strania folks, you guys want all of the f'ing awesome shooters coming out in Japan this Spring to hit the US/UK
Nah, that's not a good reason. Get it because it's awesome and you want to play it, hopefully.

Anybody whining about regional releases that doesn't give Strania a shot probably doesn't really care all that much.

Top Bottom