• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheStig88

I've been debating on throwing this in my next IST order for a little while, but you just pushed me over the edge. Just need to wrap up reading the rest of my last order.

Mulling over Hellboy too, but the sheer amount of content is terrifying. I-I don't think I'm ready for that level of commitment. There's still so much to see, so much to read before settling down.

Mulling over Hellboy too, but the sheer amount of content is terrifying. I-I don't think I'm ready for that level of commitment. There's still so much to see, so much to read before settling down.

I'm pretty tempted too but my main concern is shelf space. Those library editions are too big!

Mindwipe

New 52 Wonder Woman reads much, much, much better in trade. Just about to finish off the Azzarello run. I can see why it would have irritated people on a monthly publishing schedule, but I think it's going to be looked back upon as the definitive run for the character.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
New 52 Wonder Woman reads much, much, much better in trade. Just about to finish off the Azzarello run. I can see why it would have irritated people on a monthly publishing schedule, but I think it's going to be looked back upon as the definitive run for the character.

I love that run. Cliff Chiang's art is amazing. I hadn't read any Wonder Woman beforehand but this run drew me in and I rode it all the way to the end. Haven't continued with the book since they left though. Will be picking up Paper Girls when that starts. I imagine it'll be the same for me when Waid and Samnee leave Daredevil. I came into cape books during the start of Marvel Now, so I've not read any previous runs of the character and I've loved Samnee's art. Hopefully the two of them end up on something great afterwards. This is why people say to follow a great creative team, not the character I guess.

tim1138

Fuuuuuuuck

gLUQ0Zq.jpg

Kin5290

I finally read Hawkeye #22. Damn you, Fraction and Aja, for creating such a beautiful comic and also taking so damned long while doing it. If only the guys heading the other series had as much skill.

Katie Kate is top badass. I imagine "Short Change Hero" playing during her first panel, haha.

It was a good run but I don't think it'll come anywhere near being the definitive run on the character. It was basically 1 story arc, and The Baby, The Baby, The Baby, it was a definitive run for the Zola character and her baby.

Tizoc

It was a good run but I don't think it'll come anywhere near being the definitive run on the character. It was basically 1 story arc, and The Baby, The Baby, The Baby, it was a definitive run for the Zola character and her baby.

Gotta agree as it stands, the 80s series and Greg Rucka's run are the best interpretation of the character. Also Gail Simone's heh.

Finished up Arkham Knight...ended up with 77 percent completion. Pretty much everything except the Riddler trophies and Militia-Batmobile cleanup bullshit.

I'd probably put it ahead of City but behind Asylum.

I think I was at 97% or something. Everything but all of the Riddler trophies.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Man, I really want the rest of the Riddler stuff, but the five I tried yesterday evening were annyoing enough.

And LOL @ the Deathstroke fight. Man, Rocksteady, make a tank game when you want but dont shorehorn this in a Batgame.

Alright gketter, just read today's Deathstroke issue which is number 8. This arc started off with issue 7 and the preview before that. The introduction to the story is Hephaestus has contacted Slade Wilson to kill a God names Lapetus. Slade is like yeah right, I'm a mortal, how am I going to kill a God? He forged a weapon that can get the job done. Tells him to go to Paradise Island and he will find who he is looking for. Thus begins the journey. I have liked it a bunch so far. Tony Daniel has a co-writer working with him and it's not bad. Daniels visuals have been amazing and has drawn some of the best action sequences I have seen in a comic book. First arc before this was 6-8 material (enjoyable and above average) and since the co-writer has come along, had made it 7-9 material.
thanks for the writeup I might give it a try

OK comicGaf i'd like to take some time and put effort into a post for a change. I'm here to tell you about one of my passion comics. Like JC has his Stray Bullets, Karrupt with Doom Patrol, Kipp with Hellboy, Messi with Sunstone etc. One that is near and dear to my heart is Kabuki.

It all started in the late 90s, early 2000s when I was a regular of the IGN comic boards, and there was a great community at the time that would recommend great comics that were beyond just what Wizard, or the popular big 2 comics would provide. This is how i was exposed to things like Hellboy, Planetary, Powers, Strangers in Paradise, etc. It was a great and amazing eye opening experience of comics beyond my limited Batman & X-men focused reading.

Then one book came along that really hit a chord with me, and that was David Mack's Kabuki series. In it it focuses on a group of female pop sensations in a near future Japan who all wear Kabuki masks and also secretly are deadly assassins. On the surface it sounds like a very silly premise, but its the execution, the sincerity, and more importantly the creative fusion of art & story that make it really stand out. The first volume was black & white and from what I've read it was a college project that David Mack did. In it he wanted to tell a story that focused on his interests of Japan and his art. I would say that of all the volumes he writes & draws its the most standard comic of them all. Very excellent and has a full arc from start to finish. Really the story could have ended with Vol 1 but has threads for more if it could gain traction. And forutunatly it did. In the later volumes starting with Vol 2, he started to expand the form of storytelling and beging to fuse a number of different artistic styles together. Each new page would throw something new, sketches, oragami shapes, water colors, etc. Then he'd start embedding the dialog and words within the art. A seamless fusion of story & art that only comics could provide. Its also something i haven't seen since.

I'm sure more are familiar with his work on Alias covers, or his run on Daredevil. He was good friends with Bendis back in the day when they were both rising up in the indie scene.

I say all this as this one Indy comic has moved publishers over the years. At one time i believe it was Image, then moved to Marvel's Icon imprint, and now with Dark Horse. And the one thing Dark Horse does better than anyone are the library editions and we have the privilege to experience this series in the wonderful library editions. My copy came in from IST last week and I couldn't be happier. Bellow are some of the samplings of the first volume.

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Dark-Horse/KABUKI-LIBRARY-HC-VOL-01-(C-0-1-2)/MAR150017

Only $23!! and contains the first two volumes of the series. Everyone please give this book a chance. Its one of a kind and worthy of being on everyone's comic book shelf.

Exterior

Sample Volume 1 pics

Sample Volume 2 pics

❤❤❤

One of my favorites

I'm gonna look for my Scarab sketch when i get home

Owzers

can't read hellboy spoilers....i'm on page 20 or so. Also i'm getting into Hearthstone a lottttttt but i think i'll reach a point where i'm annoyed that everyone has better cards than me and i'll either give in to buying a couple packs or quitting. Or quitting after i buy a few packs and don't get anything decent. At least there is matchmaking.

God damn it, mang, i already had enough stuff on my backlog. Havent even caught up with Valiant stuff yet D:

Gods, someone needs to invent comic audiobooks.

What are you working on Valiant-wise?

Also, how you feeling about The Valiant now that you've read a bit more of the in-universe stuff?

can't read hellboy spoilers....i'm on page 20 or so. Also i'm getting into Hearthstone a lottttttt but i think i'll reach a point where i'm annoyed that everyone has better cards than me and i'll either give in to buying a couple packs or quitting. Or quitting after i buy a few packs and don't get anything decent. At least there is matchmaking.

I always hover back when an expansion is en route and dip in a little.

My ID is KidInsomnia #1967

If nothing else we could pit our wack decks against each other

Owzers

I always hover back when an expansion is en route and dip in a little.

My ID is KidInsomnia #1967

If nothing else we could pit our wack decks against each other

request sentttt from Owzers#1841, same name i have on PSN minus the number of course....but i don't play on psn much. So far i haven't spent any money but it feels inevitable. I'm up to 590 gold trying to unlock the first wave of Nax. I've played and quit other mobile CCGs like some Shadows game, i really like the presentation of Hearthstone.

request sentttt from Owzers#1841, same name i have on PSN minus the number of course....but i don't play on psn much. So far i haven't spent any money but it feels inevitable. I'm up to 590 gold trying to unlock the first wave of Nax. I've played and quit other mobile CCGs like some Shadows game, i really like the presentation of Hearthstone.

Thanks for the PSN name. Going to spam you with Witcher screenshots.
Mwaha,

I'm the exact same way. All the card cames on iOS are, I know, probably better, but they just ain't got hearthstone's zazz. i've tried most of them.

What are you working on Valiant-wise?

Also, how you feeling about The Valiant now that you've read a bit more of the in-universe stuff?

Oh, i just go to and fro a lot. Can't stay on a single story long. Still hitting bloodshot, x-o and A&A every once in a while for a coupla ishs. Dont think ive made it past ish 5 on any of them yet.

As for The Valiant... eh. Still feel quite indifferent about it. Was a visual treat with some ok writing, and that's about it. Guess that the event having no resolution whatsoever as far as the Big Bad is concerned was a bit of a mistake.

Orrrrrrr we could all buy Star Wars Battlefront and play that and not spam people witcher screenshots!

What in blazes would compel a person to buy a Dice game day 0?
Like, you know it's gonna b a horrendously buggy mess with issues up the buttocks, aye m8?

Owzers

But they were going to be really interesting screenshots of Geralt wandering back and forth from person to person looking for Ciri.

it's going to take me all the way up to the expansion release to forgive CDProject for doing what they did with the main plot. I should write them asking for a favor. " I'd like to buy your expansion but first i'm going to need you to do something for me."

What in blazes would compel a person to buy a Dice game day 0?
Like, you know it's gonna b a horrendously buggy mess with issues up the buttocks, aye m8?

Best Buy gets me to pre-order a couple games for that $10 off reward they offer along with my GCU membership.

Leave it to DC to have JL: Gods and Monsters movie come out next week but not have the comic come out until next year. I was surprised when they were able to get the first volume of the Arkham Knight comic out a week before the game came out.

Messi

Leave it to DC to have JL: Gods and Monsters movie come out next week but not have the comic come out until next year. I was surprised when they were able to get the first volume of the Arkham Knight comic out a week before the game came out.

Wait... Next year? They are releasing tie ins right now no?

Oh, i just go to and fro a lot. Can't stay on a single story long. Still hitting bloodshot, x-o and A&A every once in a while for a coupla ishs. Dont think ive made it past ish 5 on any of them yet.

As for The Valiant... eh. Still feel quite indifferent about it. Was a visual treat with some ok writing, and that's about it. Guess that the event having no resolution whatsoever as far as the Big Bad is concerned was a bit of a mistake.

I see, I see. I'm finally going to start working on Bloodshot once I get that OHC from IST. I know you didn't mention Harbinger, but I really recommend sticking with that one; it only gets better with time. The ending, while possibly anticlimactic, is just thematically perfect.

For me, I really enjoyed The Valiant because of that whole fairy-tale nature of the villain, because Kay was so well-characterized in the few issues she was in, and the unpredictable conclusion. As for the resolution, the thing is (very minor spoilers for Book of Death)
the Immortal Enemy was really just an agent for something else.
. As far as The Valiant goes, that was about as far as the event was going to cover. It feels abrupt, but that's intentional.

For me, I really enjoyed The Valiant because of that whole fairy-tale nature of the villain, because Kay was so well-characterized in the few issues she was in, and the unpredictable conclusion.

Was Kay the Geomancer? Her characterization in that book was literally "you a geomancer now, k? No, not a cool geomancer like the ones in Final Fantasy Tactics. All you get is hands that glow and some weaksauce Swamp Thing powers. Oh, and an unkillable, unstoppable monstrosity is coming to kill you. WORRY NOT, HOWEVER, for some immortal dude that has always failed to prevent the walking horror from baleeting geodudes is protecting you. Best of luck. G'wan, run."

her talks with bloodshot were fun, tho. Aside from that? Damsel in distress. To the maxx.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Loool. Shaolin Cowboy by Geoff Darrow is top tier comics.

"Dude, check it out -- Jackie Chan!"
"More like Jackie Chhh-Hand-Job!"

Was Kay the Geomancer? Her characterization in that book was literally "you a geomancer now, k? No, not a cool geomancer like the ones in Final Fantasy Tactics. All you get is hands that glow and some weaksauce Swamp Thing powers. Oh, and an unkillable, unstoppable monstrosity is coming to kill you. WORRY NOT, HOWEVER, for some immortal dude that has always failed to prevent the walking horror from baleeting geodudes is protecting you. Best of luck. G'wan, run."

her talks with bloodshot were fun, tho. Aside from that? Damsel in distress. To the maxx.

Nah man, disagree. Kay had really poignant interactions with all the characters she was in contact with. She got her powers like yesterday, so it was really understandable that she didn't really know what to do with them; even so, it was very telling of her character that the one thing she decides to do is
to destroy one of the oil refineries of the company she used to work for.

Also, it's not really fair to call her a damsel in distress when
Immortal Enemy wrecked everyone, including Aric who is supposed to be the Superman-tier hero.
In the scheme of things, the Geomancers are supposed to be some of the strongest powered beings in the Valiant universe and it's implied that Kay was really powerful. The circumstances just weren't in her favor. Rather than play into that, they
subvert what would be a typical ending for this kind of story, the super powerful inexperienced character learns to harness their strength and defeat the baddy, by instead killing her to better serve the narrative of the universe.

Gilad's a total jobber though. I like his concept, that he's supposed to have all these lifetimes of combat experience, but honestly, he just jobs it up. He's worse than Ninjak. At least Ninjak is funny and usually gets shit done.

I've been debating on throwing this in my next IST order for a little while, but you just pushed me over the edge. Just need to wrap up reading the rest of my last order.

It's the best unified universe in comics, so if you have any interest in the phenomenon you absolutely must read it.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
But for real guys. Shaolin Cowboy is so amazing. Second best value hardcover I've ever bought behind the Hellboy First 20 Years hardcover. Unless you despise gore, you really need to toss it in your next IST order. I think it's like $11.

The great thing about Hellboy though is that for at least the first two Library Editions, all of the stories are pretty much standalone. That's not to say there aren't threads running through them, but you could buy just the first Library Edition and have read complete stories with conclusions that leave you satisfied. Basically what I'm saying is don't think it requires any commitment. Just buy the first Library Edition and read it and be happy. Then you'll probably want to read more just because it's amazing.

But for real guys. Shaolin Cowboy is so amazing. Second best value hardcover I've ever bought behind the Hellboy First 20 Years hardcover. Unless you despise gore, you really need to toss it in your next IST order. I think it's like $11.

coming back to comics with Geoff Darrow :blessed:

in other news, where the FUCK is Thors #2???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom