• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Gameplay Demo (E3 2014)

The Order wins Best of E3 award from Polygon (and a bunch of others)

Bp5LuXqCUAANYJ0.jpg
Well there ya go.

That IGN footage put me firmly back on the hype train. It's astounding how they have bungled the reveal so far. Still, looking forward to it!

Loudninja

6 more Best of E3 awards coming down the pipe... hot sauce!
https://twitter.com/AndreaPessino/status/476916583344779264

Well shit, that looked pretty damn good. Back on the hype train.

Baffling how this game has been handled up until now.
@TyrantII I assure you this was the last demo to focus on the story/cinematic components. In the coming months: all core gameplay
https://twitter.com/AndreaPessino/status/476444375610687488

like others said its the thermite gun section. that gun is ridiculously fun, and the damage really isn't indrect since to ignite the thermite, you have to hit the enemies with a for missile/bullet. the soft cover system is great similar to tlou but a little more stick so somewhere between tlou and uc. Its surreal when your playing it looks so incredible in person, definitely the most impressive game I've seen visually.

the voice acting seems good from the little there was and the gunplay feels and controls so great. was getting headshots during the pistol sequence with ease. i was concerned with how it would feel having watched since vids, it looked clumsy, but that wasnt the case at all.

there was some feature similar to deadeye in rdr or bullett time, but i didn't quite grasp it in the short time i got to try it seems like it could be good. overall i think this game will be outstanding.

Thansk brother. I never doubted RAD. It is worth it for the visuals, the atmosphere and the crazy guns alone...

Loudninja

Impressions:
like others said its the thermite gun section. that gun is ridiculously fun, and the damage really isn't indrect since to ignite the thermite, you have to hit the enemies with a for missile/bullet. the soft cover system is great similar to tlou but a little more stick so somewhere between tlou and uc. Its surreal when your playing it looks so incredible in person, definitely the most impressive game I've seen visually.

the voice acting seems good from the little there was and the gunplay feels and controls so great. was getting headshots during the pistol sequence with ease. i was concerned with how it would feel having watched since vids, it looked clumsy, but that wasnt the case at all.

there was some feature similar to deadeye in rdr or bullett time, but i didn't quite grasp it in the short time i got to try it seems like it could be good. overall i think this game will be outstanding.

Do showfloor impressions go here?

The game is definitely pretty cool. The shooting is solid, although the part I played isn't traditional shooting, as I will further divulge.

First, the showfloor demo is the same as that short video they shown a couple weeks back. I even asked them why did they show such a short video, and the guy said they were told to have that sort of length even thought they had way more to show.

Anyway, I'll only talk about the gun as the level I was playing was still pretty brief (I heard it took people 15mins to beat it even though it took me like 3 minutes). The gun was pretty damn cool. So you go and try to shoot the enemies, but it doesn't kill them. What the gun is supposed to be is like a molotov cocktail rifle. It fires rounds that creates a phosphorous cloud, and then you shoot a secondary fire to ignite it. So I spray the general area of the enemy, ignite it, then I continue shooting to make sure they completely burn to death.

I think what's drawing me into this game is all the fancy tech that seems futuristic, yet is Victorian style.

I'll post my impressions here as well.

First the good stuff:

The game is gorgeous. The image quality is pristine and the frame rate is rock solid. I never felt it dip once. There are moments during the game where I couldn't tell whether it was cut scene or gameplay. It was incredibly seamless.

The thermite gun. A really interesting concept and definitely cool to use. I'm sure plenty of people know that the primary shoots flammable gas and the secondary fire ignites it. It shoots in bursts and I thought it was a nice to touch that when you shoot the gas directly at the enemy, they choke on it. About halfway through the demo, I inadvertently created a trail of fire by shooting the primary fire after the flammable gas was ignited. Starting at the base of the flame, you could make it go across your screen by leading it further along. Definitely an awesome experience.

The feedback of the guns, in my opinion, was really well done. Granted, I was only able to use the pistol and the thermite gun, but the recoil after firing each shot was refreshing; each shot causes you to recollect your aim, which is a serious departure from no recoil shooters like COD and Titanfall.

The blackwater mechanic was pretty damn cool. As many of you probably saw, once activated, you just flick the right stick to automatically aim at the next enemy. The animation is just great to look at. It's like something straight from a western.

Now, the bad:

The scenario was doing no favors in selling the game. The demo was the same as the previews that were shown a while back. You're hiding behind cover, drag the guy into the house, go to the next alleyway and it ends there. The problem was that it suffers from being too much of a cover shooter. You sit behind cover and basically play shooting gallery until the next segment. In the first segment, I thought I'd try to snap out of cover and play more aggressively, but since the enemies were placed where you couldn't reach them, you're basically forced to stay behind cover.

Another gripe was the so called soft cover system. From the previews, I thought it would follow the cover systems like Tomb Raider and The Last of Us, but it was closer to Gears of War. Circle was to snap into cover and Cross was to exit out of it. You could also push back to exit, but I still thought it wasn't as intuitive as it could be. For a game that preaches seamless transitions, I thought the cover could've been much better.

All in all, my hype went down a bit. I'm still pretty excited for the lore and story of the game, but I really hope they add more variety to the gameplay bc the demo was shallow.

Looks nice, but I need more user-controlled freedom in my games - especially if they want $60 for it.

When I first saw the Order 1886 reveal last year, I thought it was going to be more like a Gothic version of Evolve or Monster Hunter, with the 4-player Co-op thing happening.

But this game is turning out NOTHING like I hoped it would be.

Not saying it's bad, it's just not what I thought it would be and I don't see myself becoming a fan of this genre of game.

Samyy

Game of show from Polygon?
I'm going to hate this game noooo :(

If Phil Kollar and Arthur Gies had any say in that then I worry because our gaming tastes seem to differ very much, on the other hand I enjoy cinematic 3rd person action TPS games (ie. Uncharted/Tomb Raider) so who knows...

IcyEyes

Talking about the visual, this game is pretty impressive. Best looking game I have seen so far here at the E3.
The whole experience feels very cinematic and the 30fps are not a problem at all since they are pretty locked.
The gameplay (for what I tried so far) looks like an advanced version of Gears and that is good since I really enjoyed the Gears series.
The Order looks like a corridor shooter (based from what I saw, which is a very small part) and if you like experiences like this, probably you will love this game!
It's awesome to see and fun to play.

Loudninja

Game of show from Polygon?
I'm going to hate this game noooo :(

If Phil Kollar and Arthur Gies had any say in that then I worry because our gaming tastes seem to differ very much, on the other hand I enjoy cinematic 3rd person action TPS games (ie. Uncharted/Tomb Raider) so who knows...
Like 4 gaffers now gave their impressions.

wapplew

After I watched some interview, those “QTE" or very limit control section, they could easily make it full cutscene without any player input and no one will complaint.
Instead, they give us some input because they can and just to show those cutscene is all real time and for more immersion.

I say good job on that.

shem935

Banned
It was interesting entering this thread directly after E3 and then now. Would have thought this game was imploding based on the reactions. Glad to here the positive press and previews.

Looks nice, but I need more user-controlled freedom in my games - especially if they want $60 for it.

When I first saw the Order 1886 reveal last year, I thought it was going to be more like a Gothic version of Evolve or Monster Hunter, with the 4-player Co-op thing happening.

But this game is turning out NOTHING like I hoped it would be.

Not saying it's bad, it's just not what I thought it would be and I don't see myself becoming a fan of this genre of game.

Maybe you should just wait until its out and give it a try... who knows... you might actually like it.

Betty

Banned
It was interesting entering this thread directly after E3 and then now. Would have thought this game was imploding based on the reactions. Glad to here the positive press and previews.

The E3 showing at Sony's presser was just a lousy way to show off the game and only fueled the doubters fears.

Good to hear it's actually doing well though.

shem935

Banned
The E3 showing at Sony's presser was just a lousy way to show off the game and only fueled the doubters fears.

Good to hear it's actually doing well though.

I got where they were coming from but that was literally 1 minute of the game that was obviously the first introduction to that enemy. Seemed a bit hasty but I digress.

Edit: Sorry for the double post.

OsirisBlack

Banned
LOL

Read the past couple pages. People have played it and they're saying great things.

At this point it's just blatant trolling I am just ignoring them. They already had 4 best of E3 awards and he tweeted they have 6 more in the pipeline.Some people just like to stir shit.

Salz01

He says in the twitch stream that they have different colorful environments. I hope they don't spoil too much of the game. The more I watch the demo walkthroughs the more I'm getting my hype back up.

Loudninja

He says in the twitch stream that they have different colorful environments. I hope they don't spoil too much of the game. The more I watch the demo walkthroughs the more I'm getting my hype back up.
Right not to mention we still did not see many of the weapons.

That sticky grenade should be fun to play with.

prwxv3

LOL

Read the past couple pages. People have played it and they're saying great things.

You should probably get used to these kind of posts in the order threads from now unfortunately. The e3 trailer gameplay was bad but you can't ignore good impressions because of it. I would hope posters that have no interest would ignore future threads instead of coming in to shit on the game and the dev team. I am impressed RAD dudes are acting so cool about the impressions the game is getting good and bad.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Here's a copy/paste of my impressions from my blog:

The Order 1886 wasn’t the first game I got my hands on at E3 this year, but it was definitely one of the titles I was anticipating checking out for myself the most. For those unfamiliar with the title, The Order 1886 is a third person shooter set in an alternate history London in which an ancient order of knights must protect the world from supernatural threats. The game is being developed by Ready at Dawn, exclusively for the PlayStation 4. So, how did it hold up? Read on below to f ind out.

After waiting in line for what felt like an eternity, I finally sat down in front of my 1080p demo station, and picked up the control. After pressing “X” to begin, I was shown a series of tutorial pages to quickly catch me up to speed with the game’s controls, and then I was off. The demo began with our knights of the Order holed up in a rundown part of the city, surrounded by Rebel fighters. The first thing that struck me was how stunningly detailed and realistic the graphics were. I’ve posted a screenshot above, because I just don’t think my words can properly convey how amazing this game looks in person, running on a PlayStation 4. The attention to detail in both the character models, facial expressions, and environment is jaw-dropping.

To be honest, I didn’t actually realize the game had started, and I was in control of Galahad, our protagonist, and leader of the Order. It wasn’t until I realized that he was just standing there, leaning against cover, doing nothing, that I rotated the camera and began shooting at the Rebel fighters with one of two available weapons in the demo. The main weapon on display in this segment was the Thermite Rifle. It’s primary fire, by itself, is relatively harmless bolts of compressed gas that disperse into a debilitating cloud upon impact. This will cause enemies to cough and sputter, but nothing more. It’s not until you combine the primary gas pellet, with the secondary incendiary shot that things get interesting (and more fun). The second shot will ignite the thermite gas, causing an explosion that engulfs enemies, killing them. The Thermite rifle also has applications beyond simply setting enemies on fire, as later on in the demo, Galahad used a thermite clip to blow up an obstacle blocking the team’s path.

The demo was short, and only had a brief scenario where players must help a wounded man get to safety while taking out Rebels. There wasn’t enough to really get a feel for the game as a whole, but I came away impressed. As mentioned before, visually, the game is incredible, and one of the most impressive games I saw on display. The controls felt wonderfully responsive, and moving between cover, and aiming and shooting were responsive. The Thermite gun was fun to use, and really just had me eager to try out the other weapons Ready at Dawn have crafted for us.

The only complaint I have with the gameplay is the pistol. Pistols are usually kind of a joke weapon, there to take up a weapon slot, and be a fallback for players who want to conserve the stronger weapons for later encounters. The problem I had with the pistol is that it was terribly inaccurate. Despite my crosshair lining up perfectly with a targets head, the bullets would often go astray, or hit a shoulder or a chest or stomach instead. I understand that a pistol in that era was more than likely not very accurate, and the Order isn’t Gears of War or Uncharted, but I find that gameplay must trump realism and stylistic choices no matter what. If the weapon isn’t very fun to use, it should be tweaked until it is. Fortunately, The Order won’t be coming for another 8 months, which gives Ready at Dawn plenty of time to tweak the pistol’s accuracy.

The Order is a third person shooter to the core, and is not breaking any new ground on a gameplay level, but what is there is incredibly polished already.

Overall, I found the game gorgeous, atmospheric, and fun to play. The demo was painfully short, a tease really (you could beat it in less than 10 minutes), and didn’t showcase any of the QTE segments, or supernatural enemies that are sure to mix up combat scenarios, so it’s really hard for me to form a real judgment on it. I walked away from The Order 1886 impressed, and looking forward to seeing more in the future.

Ve1ocity

description: The Order: 1886 - NEW Gameplay Twitch Stream E3 2014 (HD) - Interview with developers, new footage and new mechanics. E3 2014 coverage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYUFRge6ZMM

almost 8 minutes of continious gameplay footage

"There's the writing work that went into the scripts and of course there's the actors, everything you see in this game is motion captured, even the gameplay although it's fully playable and all that stuff(lol), we made sure that every move felt real so we had stunt actors, performance actors doing all this stuff so that they remain true to what you would expect from a real character on film"

Why do I get the sense these guys really just wanted to make a movie instead?

Juniors and their drive-by trolling these days :/

How? negative opinion = trolling?
I wasn't talking about the graphics if that's what you're getting at, I think the graphics are incredible. "Gameplay" on the other hand just looks aweful to me.

OneLetter

More than a few gaffers have introduced themselves to me while waiting in line to play our demo. Thanks again to all those that have come by so far, and I'll be in the booth pretty much all day tomorrow. If you want to ask some questions, just look for the sideburns.

Also, thank you for the impressions being left in this thread, good/bad, or anything in between. It's great to hear from each user playing the demo, and I try to stop a bunch on the way out to find out what they thought, or just to talk about what everyone saw and enjoyed outside of our booth.

Hope to see some more of you tomorrow. :D

Top Bottom