• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Israeli Elections 2015 |OT| The Last Stand of the Left

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurish

I understand the fact the left and center are more diverse but bibi's government would put another Lapid in his party which forced this election. You have 50 some seats that are anti-peace, colonize the west bank and any cost that was always a given but that's not enough for a government, he'll need someone who left his party because of this.

I just don't see how this is any thing other than Bibi's victory over other rightists.

Can't see it happening.
Yea, he has Kachlon- Kulanu ("all together") party, it's a more economic party and he will sit with Bibi without much problem, add Shas ("spanish orthodox jew party), The Jewish House (Benett), Liberman, The torah jewish party and he has a coalition and they are all pretty natural partners , no need for Lapid.
Hertzog can't do the same.

Yea, he has Kachlon- Kulanu ("all together") party, it's a more economic party and he will sit with Bibi without much problem, add Shas ("spanish orthodox jew party), The Jewish House (Benett), Liberman, The torah jewish party and he has a coalition and they are all pretty natural partners , no need for Lapid.
Hertzog can't do the same.

I don't see Kulanu as the natural partner you do. He seems to prefer Hertzog, whos problem is bridging the religious parties and lapid. If he can do that he has a government. I'm not sure that's possible and we'll see.

I think bibi has a easier path but I'm not sure he'll get that shot.

Gurish

I don't see Kulanu as the natural partner you do. He seems to prefer Hertzog, whos problem is bridging the religious parties and lapid. If he can do that he has a government. I'm not sure that's possible and we'll see.

I think bibi has a easier path but I'm not sure he'll get that shot.
You are wrong my friend, Kachlon the chairman of Kulanu is ex Likud, he could sit with Hertzog if he had a more striking win, but he can easily sit with Bibi and they are natural partners.

Pigs will fly the day that Lapid and the religious parties will sit together, not gonna happen, they despise each other and they see him as a devil more or less.
The only way Hertzog could do it is if the Arabs will agree, they are making a big mistake by refusing but that's probably not gonna change.

If bibi only has a right wing government expect a Palestinian vote in the UN in September, EU sanctions, etc.

Even if bibi wins remember this

@speechboy71
Further irony from election returns: 70-80 votes in next Knesset for the two state solution
The're are more supporters of two states than one.

Not that it matters practically if 15 of those seats won't join government.

Gurish

The chaos that is Israeli politics.
Yup but if you want tl;dr version - Bibi and the right won and we are heading toward a right wing government.
If bibi only has a right wing government expect a Palestinian vote in the UN in September, EU sanctions, etc.
Yea Israel is gonna be very isolated in Europe in the coming years, the conflict is heading for a boiling point if i have to bet.

Yup but if you want tl;dr version - Bibi and the right won and we are heading toward a right wing government.

Yea Israel is gonna be very isolated in Europe in the coming years, the conflict is heading for a boiling point if i have to bet.

Its going to lose US cover too. Bibi is now firmly anti-US policy. Congress will stay pro-Israel but expect a bit less, and growing isolation and less defense.

dude

dude

We're heading towards a National Unity government. The right can't build a coalition they can keep for more than a year.

Cromat

Definite Bibi victory. Painful but maybe it was necessary. This time no unity, pure Right-wing coalition. Sanctions are coming.

elhav

On behalf of all sane Israeli citizens, I sincerely apologize to everyone if Bibi will be prime minister again. Many of our people are just too fucking stupid. I mean, really now.... not this asshole again.

There is still a small chance he won't be a prime minister, since it depends on Kachlon mostly. But Kachlon originally came from Bibi's camp, and is right wing, so it is most likely he will go with Bibi in the end. Bibi, as an egomaniac, will probably never agree to join forces with the zionist camp, thus the only seeable option is of him caving in to an extremist right wing coalition of fascists and loonies.

Time to get a fucking european passport or something cuz' I'm pretty tired of this country

nib95

Banned
Absolutely terrible. Immensely disappointed with all those who voted for this disgusting excuse for a leader. What a damn shame. It's like Bush being voted in a second time all over again, maybe even worse.

Its going to lose US cover too. Bibi is now firmly anti-US policy. Congress will stay pro-Israel but expect a bit less, and growing isolation and less defense.

Yup. I've been seeing a welcome trend away from blind fealty towards Israel, even if it's much more gradual than I'd like.

On behalf of all sane Israeli citizens, I sincerely apologize to everyone if Bibi will be prime minister again. Many of our people are just too fucking stupid. I mean, really now.... not this asshole again.

There is still a small chance he won't be a prime minister, since it depends on Kachlon mostly. But Kachlon originally came from Bibi's camp, and is right wing, so it is most likely he will go with Bibi in the end. Bibi, as an egomaniac, will probably never agree to join forces with the zionist camp, thus the only seeable option is of him caving in to an extremist right wing coalition of fascists and loonies.

Time to get a fucking european passport or something cuz' I'm pretty tired of this country

Given his messaging the last week I'd say he's already most of the way there.

RiZ III

Yup. I've been seeing a welcome trend away from blind fealty towards Israel, even if it's much more gradual than I'd like.

Unless we get a Republican president after Obama. I would image he, congress and Bibi would end up triggering a war with Iran which would completely fuck things over.

elhav

Given his messaging the last week I'd say he's already most of the way there.
See, the thing is, Bibi would be much happier without the fascists and extremists in his coalition, because he knows how much damage they can do in general. Even compared to Bibi alot of them are really really terrible.

But he cares so much about his status that he will do a lot to stay as a prime minister, even if it means fucking his own country.

However, if he indeed goes with an extreme right wing coalition, he's gonna have a really really bad time, from many fronts, and he knows it. That's what gives me the smallest fraction of hope that this time it will be different...somehow.

Though I should know better than to raise any expectations....

Dai101

Banned
Well, so much of a pipe dream this was. I feel sorry for all the Palestinian people that are going to suffer even more now.

Unless we get a Republican president after Obama. I would image he, congress and Bibi would end up triggering a war with Iran which would completely fuck things over.

The entire Israeli security establishment is against a war with Iran. I'm inclined to think it's mostly political posturing, honestly.

You think the US are going to allow that? Not a chance.

Aren't they already happening? I'm talking about the BDS (boycott, divestment, sanctions) Movement. My cousin's university (Canada) is having a vote tomorrow on whether to boycott products that support the Israeli occupation of West Bank in any way, and it's very likely to pass (it passed last year but was vetoed by administration). I know a lot of major European banks and corporations are already in on this.

Gurish

We're heading towards a National Unity government. The right can't build a coalition they can keep for more than a year.
After both Bibi and Hertzog declared not sitting together? not likely. Likud already begun negotiations with right parties.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
what happens if the two centre parties refuse to join likud?

Gurish

yeah but at least he doesn't want to get in a coalition with Jewish Home.
They are more willing to make compromises, they are not as supportive for settlements, they are much more left than Bibi.
People please don't paint it in black and white, sometimes you can׳t ״release" occupation like it's a switch, there are dangerous extremists on the other side as well.

Piano

Banned
So even after saying all of that racist junk Bibi is going to win?
:(

full disclosure: I do not understand how the Israeli political system works. Is there any chance he won't be prime minister?

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
11:59 P.M. Channel 1's corrected exit polls indicate Eli Yishai's Yahad party has crossed the electoral threshold with four Knesset seats.

The corrected polls show that Likud has gotten 27 seats, the Zionist Union 26, the Joint List 12, Yesh Atid 11, and Kulanu nine. (Haaretz)

from haaretz

squidyj

full disclosure: I do not understand how the Israeli political system works. Is there any chance he won't be prime minister?

It's even worse than that Piano, it's entirely probable that he won BECAUSE of all of the racist stuff he said.

Edit: Fuck all the things.

Toxi

Banned
They are more willing to make compromises, they are not as supportive for settlements, they are much more left than Bibi.
People please don't paint it in black and white, sometimes you can׳t ״release" occupation like it's a switch, there are dangerous extremists on the other side as well.
It's kinda hard not to view it in black and white when the prime minister is saying he has zero interest in peace or compromise.

CCS

Banned

It comes down to who can form a coalition. While either he or Herzog could form one, looking at the numbers he is more likely to.

Gurish

Yes, if Herzog can convince Lapid (yesh atid) to sit with the Orthodox religious parties, chances are slim as they oppose each other and they are hateful rivals.

There is another option that is non existent- the Arab party agree to join a left-center coalition, not gonna happen.

Bibi's partners are much more natural, ranging from right to ultra right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom