• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could a black man really junior an OP for an amazing display of balls-out ignorance?

Could a black man really junior an OP for an amazing display of balls-out ignorance?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
So what determines a person's race? It it solely based on appearance? Personal identification? Genetics? From wikipedia

Whats the most important aspect out of all of these? Just as a note, this post has less to do with the whole electablitity thing and more with the whole mixed race subject.

The fact that a person's race can be one thing in one place, and completely different in another, should clue people into how absolutely horse shit the whole thing is.

To the people who would give a damn, having a drop of black blood visible in your family tree would be enough to try to keep you out of the White House. A man with two black parents is going to have about the same experience as Obama did in all likelihood...though there won't be any weird "He's not even black" comments thrown at him like Obama gets. As if to discredit his achievement and chalk his victory up to his white half.

This thread is kind of a joke.

On a serious note......

How did Deebo get elected president of earth?

fifthelement.jpg

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I think OP was wondering if a black candidate from a stereotypical African American upbringing (two black parents, having to fight against various levels of racism, possibly a lower-class upbringing, heavily invested in African American culture, etc...) would have the same chance at winning as Obama. It's hard to really prove, but I do think Obama's (for lack of a better word) "whiteness" played a role in his success. It's hard to really elaborate on this without coming off wrong.

If Obama came out of South Central LA or Southern Detroit, then yeah, he probably wouldn't have been elected President.

But that says more about the opportunities that black people have in those areas than anything about Obama's level of blackness. A black man with a white mother growing up in those same areas would have had the same challenges.

What does that matter? He has to be an american to be black?

The main thing I was trying to get across that you ignored entirely is that you just said if you don't live into Jim crow south you haven't lived a black experience. So a fully black man by your definition that has been adopted by white parents isn't really black as he hasn't lived the black experience

he has to be to run for POTUS

Darkman M

I'd say a large amount of black Americans have some white blood in the mix somewhere down the line, how many blacks do you see that look straight up African in skin tone and features?

Mesousa

Banned
To be fair though it takes an awful amount of privilege to get to where Obama was. Dude went to the best school in Hawaii, something that would not have been open to the average black American at the time. The question would be better framed as if whether or not he would have been elected if he had to come from parents that experienced the culture of Jim Crow that kept blacks back, and the answer would probably be no based simply on the facts that mainstream America simply does not understand.

Hell, look at how they tried to frame Michelle as angry for saying her husbands election was the first time she had been proud of America. They really don't understand how much America sucked if you were not white, male, or straight for the vast majority of its history.

Mesousa

Banned
I'd say a large amount of black Americans have some white blood in the mix somewhere down the line, how many blacks do you see that look straight up African in skin tone and features?

"Straight up African"? Is a poor choice of word because Africa has vast genetic diversity even without outside influence.

Even the skin variety seen by African Americans are present in th le night of Biafra and Benin where many of the ancestors came from.

ZealousD

It was incredibly common for male slaveowners to have sex with their female black slaves.

Judging by replies like this I'm starting to get the feeling he feels slighted in some way because people must consider him "just" a black dude rather than the much more interesting and unique "mixed" he wishes to be identified as. If people deny Obama isn't "just" a negro (including Obama himself) then that means I'm just a black guy too :'( At least that's the reasoning I'm getting for his firm and repeated denial of Obama's blackness.

Yeah, based on what i remember of his posting history, Measley has gotta have some deep psychological racial identity wounds. it's tough ... being able to come to grips with how society as a whole sees you. knowing that 70 years ago, if you were looking at a white woman for too long, you could end up hanging around with ripe fruit.

If Obama came out of South Central LA or Southern Detroit, then yeah, he probably wouldn't have been elected President.

But that says more about the opportunities that black people have in those areas than anything about Obama's level of blackness. A black man with a white mother growing up in those same areas would have had the same challenges.

You know this how? Assuming he had the same story - Harvard law, state senate, senate, etc - I see no reason why someone of Obama's talent wouldn't have defeated John McCain in 2008. He's a master politician, campaign wise. That wouldn't change if both his parents were black.

The more important thing about Obama's racial background is that he has no connection to the civil right's movement; he's from Chicago yet was never directly tied to Jesse Jackson before the election, and Jackson made it even easier for Obama by saying he wanted to castrate him. If Obama was a 50 year old black man with two black parents the same would be true: he'd have no ties to Jackson, Sharpton, or others that could scare white votes away. And he'd still get away with Rev. Wright due to being a great politician/speaker.

Obama is black. His wife is black. His children are black. He's treated and seen as a black man. Let it go brehs.

Onemic

he has to be to run for POTUS

I know that, but at this point im not referring to being president, but measleys attempt to validate a persons blackness based on where they grew up. By his standard, if you live in a multicultural area like Obama, you haven't lived the black experience. If you werent raised by black parents(and who knows how 'black' they have to be) you haven't lived the black experience.

kmax

I find these kind of topics amusing, considering what history has shown.

The question isn't if a black president, a woman or a gay person can become president, it's when.

Darkman M

To be fair though it takes an awful amount of privilege to get to where Obama was. Dude went to the best school in Hawaii, something that would not have been open to the average black American at the time. The question would be better framed as if whether or not he would have been elected if he had to come from parents that experienced the culture of Jim Crow that kept blacks back, and the answer would probably be no based simply on the facts that mainstream America simply does not understand.

Hell, look at how they tried to frame Michelle as angry for saying her husbands election was the first time she had been proud of America. They really don't understand how much America sucked if you were not white, male, or straight for the vast majority of its history.

His Biological father went to Harvard in like 1962.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Exactly. Race is a social construction.

This is an Arab dude in Sudan. Throw a turban and thawb on Obama and drop him into North Sudan with no id. Do you think the Arab Sudanese are going to treat him like a Darfurian or like one of their own? And just like that, his "race" switches from one country to another. For something that is purely based on society and perception, it's kinda weird that America still wants to put everyone into nice little categories.

ZealousD

I think the answer is absolutely yes.

I don't follow politics though... Is there anyone now who would maybe have a chance?

If I had to name one, Cory Booker, maybe?

I think Herman Cain's chances are long gone.

ZealousD

You know this how? Assuming he had the same story - Harvard law, state senate, senate, etc - I see no reason why someone of Obama's talent wouldn't have defeated John McCain in 2008. He's a master politician, campaign wise. That wouldn't change if both his parents were black.

Did you read my post? I agree, whether or not both of his parents were black has nothing to do with it. But if he came out of South Central LA or Southern Detroit, than he probably wouldn't have had the same story. If the circumstances of upbringing were exactly the same but swap the white mother/grandparents for black mother/grandparents and the situation doesn't change.

Mesousa

Banned
I know that, but at this point im not referring to being president, but measleys attempt to validate a persons blackness based on where they grew up. By his standard, if you live in a multicultural area like Obama, you haven't lived the black experience. If you werent raised by black parents(and who knows how 'black' they have to be) you haven't lived the black experience.

The parent thing, especially from obama's generation, might also be a strong point though.

Growing up in a white household at that time probably meant he avoided a major thing other black children did not get to avoid, which is the stress of institutionalized racism on a providing parent. I make a comparison to when the media tried to lynch Herman Cain for not participating in the civil rights movement because he did, as his dad told him to, to stay out of trouble while at Morehouse. Not seeing the effects of such a system shackled around your parents releases a certain chain from around your neck. You believe that America is truly a land of opportunity for all, instead of just for some.

wildfire

Banned
I suspected this thread would still be going strong because people talk past each other. You guys need to realize someone maybe talking about blackness in physical terms only and another person will be debating about blackness in terms of culture only, while a third will be using both.

Measly your argument would make sense in America during the 1800s but using terms like mixed and mulatto are now viewed as antiquated or less modern, just like negro or African American.

If you have dark skin and African features you will be identified as black by the majority.

You are making an interesting point about Americans possibly voting for Obama because he acts white but you are gaming your message by tying the cultural perception with the physical realities.

Mesousa

Banned
His Biological father went to Harvard in like 1962.

The same father who ran back to Kenya and had no impact on raising him. You can bet your life he would have had an impact if he was raised by a Kenyan father, experiencing racism in every day life in the professional world, and coming home raising him to be prepared for the world that waited for him.

Measley

Yeah, based on what i remember of his posting history, Measley has gotta have some deep psychological racial identity wounds. it's tough ... being able to come to grips with how society as a whole sees you. knowing that 70 years ago, if you were looking at a white woman for too long, you could end up hanging around with ripe fruit.

LoL! The fact that you feel that someone who disagrees with you on racial politics or matters in America is somehow psychologically damaged (as if your viewpoint is the only one that is valid and anyone who disagrees is somehow "crazy") says more about you than it does about me.

I'm simply posing a question to the forum. Nothing more, nothing less.

Darkman M

The same father who ran back to Kenya and had no impact on raising him. You can bet your life he would have had an impact if he was raised by a Kenyan father, experiencing racism in every day life in the professional world, and coming home raising him to be prepared for the world that waited for him.

My only point was maybe his hard work and smarts had a bit to do with him getting into schools.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Glad the OP got juniored. Just a horrible divisive thread title and a stupid discussion point.

Dali

LoL! The fact that you feel that someone who disagrees with you on racial politics or matters in America is somehow psychologically damaged (as if your viewpoint is the only one that is valid and anyone who disagrees is somehow "crazy") says more about you than it does about me.

I'm simply posing a question to the forum. Nothing more, nothing less.
If everyone says something is red but you decide it's blue then yeah you do seem to be forcing the issue a bit. Is it because you don't want to be labeled red too? I don't know but it sort of feels that way.

rexor0717

I suspected this thread would still be going strong because people talk past each other. You guys need to realize someone maybe talking about blackness in physical terms only and another person will be debating about blackness in terms of culture only, while a third will be using both.

Measly your argument would make sense in America during the 1800s but using terms like mixed and mulatto are now viewed as antiquated or less modern, just like negro or African American.

If you have dark skin and African features you will be identified as black by the majority.

You are making an interesting point about Americans possibly voting for Obama because he acts white but you are gaming your message by tying the cultural perception with the physical realities.
So are you saying that physical appearance is the only determinant of a person's race? Also, I'm not exactly sure how mixed is an antiquated term. Especially given how the number of people of mixed racial backgrounds are increasing. And what do you mean by acting white? I don't want to be singling you out, but I'm not exactly sure how to read this post without jumping to certain conclusions.

Measley

I disagree that "mixed-race" is an antiquated term;

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/27/mixed-race-america/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

It certainly isn't on the level of "negro". Also mixed race includes people who aren't African American.

I also don't believe that people act a certain race.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Racially speaking, he's just as white as he is black. A fact he exploited throughout the 2008 campaign.

A black candidate couldn't do the same thing.

Oh yeah I remember the non stop whitey campaign and how every conversation was about how white he was. White this, white that....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom